Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria 7th April vs France 7th April

Poster: A snowHead
Now then people,

As always thanks for taking the time to read,

Can only do 7th April onwards this year. My preference is always austria as we have a 9 yr old and a 6 yr old with us and i like the austrian ski schools. Reckon i can do flights, cars and accom (SC) for about £400 each (Party of 5adults, 2 children, baby).

Basically i would like to book the flights as they are pretty good for us atm.

Was going to book Soelden, but i have a small snag. My friend who has a non skiing wife and one year old little boy are looking to join us. Now if she's not skiing are we better off in one of the high resorts in France... where i am not so keen on the ski schools. Probably would go alpe d'huez around the bergers area, maybe with a view to changing to serre che if conditions are still good.

Hmmmm - anyways local knowledge and thoughts would be very welcome, never really gone wrong by checking on here so over to you guys.

Ta very muchly,

M
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What-a-bowt (drum roll) Kaprun !

High altitude glacier and new thermal baths in the town plus they can bus it to places such as Zell am Zee. If the weather is good they can do a bit of spring cycling or boating round the lake at Zell and you can drink a beer on the sunny terrace at 3000m.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What's wrong with Solden for non-Skiers? There's a decent swmming pool and you can always meet up at the top of the Gondola at lunchtimes.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
DB,

Hmmm, i had dismissed kaprun because its a bit of trek to the glacier. its a few years since i've been but it'd surely add a good hour and a half of non skiing travel/uplift/downlift time everyday? Its a thought though as it is a beautiful area. Didn't know about the spa. cheers.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Now if she's not skiing are we better off in one of the high resorts in France..

Puzzled for a non-skier, I can't imagine anything worse than a week in Val Thorens or Tignes - though they might be dragged there by skiers wanting to be assured of good late season conditions.

But if you DID decide to go to France, there are plenty of good ski schools - and recommendations a-plenty on SHs.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mattmulkeen,

Yes the travel can be a bit of a drag but for non-skiers I can't think of a better Austrian solution (know nowt about France). You could always book flights to Salzburg early and decide on the resort nearer the time dependent on the snow / weather (e.g. Bad Gastein). Accommodation shouldn't be a problem in April.

http://mein.salzburg.com/fotoblog/heimat/assets_c/2011/03/p3220167-thumb-600xauto-74160.jpg
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tirol,

Dont know solden so thats what I am looking to find out???

pam w,

its my little lad who's the problem with the ski schools, he tried serre che and la plagne and tolerated it (ESF), went to Scheffau and loved it - loves the big penguin called Bobo ... desperate to see Bobo again, and i think they have him in solden snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I know it's not Austria or France but would the non-skiers be happy with somewhere like Wengen where they can get around nearly as well as the skiers on the trains?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DB,

Accommodation shouldn't be a problem in April.

i thought that, and i'm probably being a mug, but on booking.com everything is "last room" "last room"

think you've convinced me to book the flights though

snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mattmulkeen, but there are plenty of ski schools other than the ESF! I ski in France regularly in April, in an area which tops out at 2000m but I wouldn't book at this stage to go somewhere so low. Most years it's OK though last year it was fairly awful in April - like most places other than the highest.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That's the second week of the Easter holiday, so you wouldn't necessarily be certain of getting good accommodation.

I like Solden. But it's not somewhere I'd immediately think to take the kids. It's more of a party town. I'd have thought Obergurgl would be a better option in the Oetz valley, although I'm not sure that it's got enough to do for non skiers.

How about Galtur? That's reasonably high. The beginners area is just about perfect. It's got a few things for a non skier to do. It's customer base is mainly families, so the whole place is pretty much set up for families. Only thing that some might not like is that the ski area is at Wirl (there is some accommodation there) which is a short bus ride from Galtur. You've got Ischgl nearby as well if you fancy a change.

If money is not such an issue and it doesn't have to be Austria, my top recommendation would be Saas Fee (I'm heading there again this season with the family). 3 good ski schools and lots to do for the non skier as well. The glacier means you can be sure there will be something to slide on as well.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mattmulkeen, Doesn't seem like you're going to please everyone with this on, I agree with what Lager, has said about Solden and pam w, re the high some may say 'souless' french resorts. Zell Am Zee is a lovely place that would suit non-skiers down to the ground but a Kaprun base would be better for the skiers, I'm not sure when Zell closes but any of those taking an April gamble on Zell that doesn't pay off will head to Kaprun. I think Zermatt is rather nice for non-skiers and certainly some good sliding pretty much a sure thing for April.

This is always a tough one, I've never been with non-skiers but regulary go with groups where the ladies like a day or afternoon off, earlier in the year a proper town instead of a purpose built resort would be the way to go such as Kitzbheul but getting into April the skiing is a bit of a gamble although there will certianly be something to ski.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Les Deux Alpes - proper town, guaranteed skiing (glacier tops out at 3,600m) and lessons with Easiski? Not sure she'll dress up as a penguin, though Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You could consider the Stubai glacier. Best place to stay would be Neustift which has a small lowish ski area but you're a short bus/car ride to the Glacier gondola (considerably better skiing than Kitzsteinhorn IMO and a bit better than Solden IMO). In Neustift there is a swimming pool kids/non-skiers and you're only 25 mins car journey from Innsbruck.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Opps ! hadn't realized it's second week Easter Embarassed
Accommodation won't be so easy come by although to be honest by that time of year the locals and Germans are either ski touring or driving down to Italy for a bit of spring sun. I skied Zell at Easter 2009 and it was mostly Brits.

Booking Zell am See then renting a car if snow is really poor (so you can drive to Kaprun) is another option.
snow report
Just got back from Solden.

Absolutely loved the place - thought it was awesome. Great atmosphere in the resort. Kids booked into a fantastic ski school called Yellow Power.

Apres was fantastic - even my kids were dancing on tables to cheesy euro pop.

I would highly recommend this resort for spring skiing. In fact i think its now my favourite place in the world snowHead

Think i did about as well as I could for the non skiier really - she had the pool next to the hotel and they also made a trip to an amazing looking thermal spa at Largenfeld (sp?)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy