Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it worth hiring the "Superior" ski equipment?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,
I'm going to Andorra skiing in a couple of weeks time and I've only ever hired the "Standard" equipment before. Is it actually worth paying the extra money or is there very little difference between the "Superior" & "Standard" ski equipment? I will most probably be getting my hire stuff from Pic Negre in Soldeu.
Any advice/info will be appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tricky one this as the definition of 'superior' and 'standard' (or indeed 'gold', 'silver', 'bronze') seems to vary wildly from resort to resort and from shop to shop. I have both paid for the budget hire skis and been given 2-year-old well-prepared Rossignols and paid extra for 'gold' skis to be given some five-year-old Salomons with no edges. The good thing with hire skis is that you can take them back if you don't like them, but who wants to spend their holiday doing that?

Does the shop you intend to use have a website? If so you might get an idea of the type and quality of rental skis on offer. Or do a bit of googling and see what else is on offer in Soldeu.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In the past I have pre booked and then when in shop asked for a perticular ski and never had a problem getting what I wanted. Pay the superior price then you can have the pick of the shop (of whats left after the morning hire rush).

No problems like that for me this year, a nice new pair of Head Peak 82 are ready to go this winter Cool All thankyou to a competition entry in Fall Line last winter NehNeh
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
gary, it depends.

If you know what you want or you have a shortlist of acceptable equipment, then you will usually have to go for the higher level of kit to get access to them. At this level, you are probably ready to buy a set, but want to try a couple of options to help you decide.

If you don't have any preference, and just want something which is OK for you, then don't spend the extra money - just make sure that what you get is in reasonable condition. I'd rather have last year's skis with a recent service than something two weeks old which has been hammered and not serviced yet.

It also depends on the shop, and your level of knowledge - in a dodgy place, you'll pay the top price and get the worst kit if they think they can get away with it, while a decent shop will listen to your description of your experience and ability, ask some pertinent questions, and then recommend 2-3 models which might be appropriate, even if those aren't the most expensive.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
When hiring skis what things are best to look out for?

Should you check to make sure that the edges are sharp for example? Something I should have done last year in Chamonix in January considering the poor snow conditions!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
gary, if you're not sure, probably not. I would advise you to ask your instructor if you should get better kit, because it's holding you back. If you don't plan to take lessons, then almost definitely not.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ousekjarr,

+1 - I have paid for superior skis, only to be fobbed off with rubbish because they know that they can get away with it when they profess not to speak English!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
why not rent standard for the week then treat yourself to some "Demo" ski's for a day or two and see if you can see a difference?
most rental ski's will be a rental spec i.e. thicker bases, thicker edges to allow more servicing and a thicker topsheet to make them look better for longer so even if you upgrade to superior they won't be the same spec as a retail pair.
Demo's will usually be current retail spec with rental bindings.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy