Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Airport for La Plagne?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I've done a little research for the best airport to get to La Plagne.

Lyon - 130 miles, 2hrs, 11mins, 96 miles on motorway.
Grenoble - 113 miles, 2hrs, 13mins, 83 miles on motorway.
Geneva - 91 miles, 2hrs, 24mins, 26 miles on motorway.

Are these times realistic for car travel? I'd be travelling on the 26th December 2005, so traffic should not be too bad.

Is there anything else I should consider? Airport reliability, tunnel closures, closed passes?

Are there any other airports that are closer?

Any info would be gratefully received.

Cheers.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chambéry is nearest. Where would you be flying from? Flybe.com go to Chambéry from a number of UK bases now.

PS Yes the times are realistic. It's maybe 70 mins drive from Chambéry though.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jumpin Jack, Timings are fine. I prefer Lyon as just a straight motorway with toll charges around 12 euros and quicker than Geneva. PG, is right Chambery is the closest but does not have as many flights. Lyon and Geneva more flexibility with timings etc. It can be tricky finding your way onto motorway to France from Geneva whereas Lyon simple. I did Lyon to Plagne Montalbert door to door in 1 hour 50 mins a few weeks ago but iit is further up mountain to La Plagne - depending on which part of course
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jumpin Jack, Chambery can be bugged by bad weather and the flights will usually be diverted to Lyon. Road from Lyon to Moutiers is superb and very straightforward.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I live in the south of England. So any airport in the general area would be ok. I'm about to look up Flybe to check flight times/costs etc.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Jumpin Jack, Chambery can be bugged by bad weather and the flights will usually be diverted to Lyon. Road from Lyon to Moutiers is superb and very straightforward.
Frosty the Snowman, I keep hearing that, would be interested in seeing stats. All flights I have taken/delivered to/collected from were bang on time last season with no diversions.

It's much quicker from Chambéry, by a good hour.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PG, I'm just going by heresay from this forum. I have come accross a couple of stories of weather at Chambery (none from Lyon)and having seen the planes on approach as I look out of the Lyon transfer bus window, it is not the type of landing i would like to try in bad weather (short runway, big surrounding mountains etc). I would rather have an hour extra travel in France than an hours extra on UK roads!.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
last year we were diverted to grenoble from chambery because of the weather

good to here that it's an easy drive from Lyon as we are using that route to the three valleys, also on Dec 26th
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've not used Chambery so can't comment but have had nothing but bad experiences with Lyon - delays, no information, bad place to wait etc etc. I find geneva very easy especially as it has a creche for kids. Used grenoble last year which was also very easy (although there is nothing at the airport) and a much easier journey to La Tania than from geneva or Lyon.

We used a tour operator so was a standard coach transfer so I can't comment for driving yourself. Also I've only used Grenoble once, Lyon 3-4 times, geneva numerous.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ashton parker, Grenoble's good but transiting the city itself can be a nightmare depending on the time of day. The ringroad can be one long jam. It's a straightforward drive from Lyon - I prefer it to Geneva myself.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks everyone for the advice. Again snowheads comes up trumps. Very Happy
I've looked at the schedule for flybe and there aren't any flights from the South of England to Chambery on the 26th Dec. A shame as the shorter transfer time was appealing. I'll probably use Lyon, as long as the other travel plans all work out - Fingers crossed!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chambery is solely charters from the UK so only in and out to coincide with the tour ops they work with. Lyon going to be busy, but should be OK.....
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jet2 Leeds-Chambery 17.00 26th Dec £57 inc taxes. Well it is Southern England for me wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman - reading through thread and was going to mention Leeds & Jet2, but see you got there first .. do Jet2 also fly from Manchester to Chambery
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
let the train take the strain
snow report
I've found the trick with the return journey via Lyon is to go to the main terminal once you've checked in. It's about 10 minutes walk. I was stuck there 7 hours once and they sent us round with meal vouchers - there're a couple of reaonable places to eat, shops etc. Assuming you have at least an hour before boarding, of course.
snow report
Jumpin Jack, Bear in mind the 26th is the day the entire population of France will be driving up the Tarentaise valley....Expect to queue at Albertville for the peage...and then up around Aime to put your chains on.
latest report
Biscuit wrote:
Chambery is solely charters from the UK

It isn't. Flybe do regular services from Southampton on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday from the week before Xmas until the end of March. There are also options for Exeter, Birmingham and Norwich on the online timetable.

Other airlines run scheduled services there through the winter as well.
latest report
stevew wrote:
Frosty the Snowman - reading through thread and was going to mention Leeds & Jet2, but see you got there first .. do Jet2 also fly from Manchester to Chambery

Hope so, I'm meant to be flying with them next season Madeye-Smiley
snow report
ski wrote:
Jumpin Jack, Bear in mind the 26th is the day the entire population of France will be driving up the Tarentaise valley....Expect to queue at Albertville for the peage...and then up around Aime to put your chains on.
Chains, Aime, Dec 26th?? ski, that's what I call optimism.... wink
snow report
Quote:

ski Would Monday the 26th Dec really be that busy? The accomodation is Sat to Sat, ie from 24th Dec, would most other people's accomodation not also be Sat to Sat as well? What would be the peak driving time. I'm hoping to be travelling between 19:30 and 21:30.
snow conditions
PG, Well you can always hope !

Jumpin Jack, The French like to travel on Boxing day, and yes the queues will be longer at that time of day - you may find later is a little easier. On the other hand, at least you're not going to Val D...
ski holidays
ski, I've only ever seen snow at Aime twice in the last four years and it didn't last long then. Be nice if it does snow that low down for Xmas though.
snow report
It was 34°C when I went through Aime early evening yesterday. Still got a way to go wink

Traffic chaos in BSM today, they seem to be retarmacking the entire N90. The Moûtiers/Aime "voie rapide" seems to be progressing quickly though.
snow conditions
Any update on the timetable for completion of the voie rapide?
latest report
rob@rar.org.uk, No, but I'll be seeing one of the conseillers municipaux early next week, I'll try to remember to ask...
snow conditions
I'm thinking of going to Tignes is January, again which airport would be best?

Also, how easy is it to use public transport for airport transfers in France, specifiaccly Tignes?

I've been to Switzerland a few times, and using the train for transfers is a doddle.
ski holidays
Jumpin Jack, same choice, just add another half an hour to the journey from each airport.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As there seems to be more flights from Heathrow - (my nearest airport) to Lyons - I'll probably use Lyons. Is it possible to catch a bus or train for the transfer?
ski holidays
Jumpin Jack, Yes, but you have to transfer to Lyon Par Deux, from there trains to pretty much everywhere in the Alps. You need to know the timetables though, I believe the last train for Bourg St Maurice leaves about 20.20, I only know this because I've missed it in the past and had to spend a night in Lyon, fortunately lots of reasonably priced hotels in the vicinity.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy