Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

More ski advice - any help appreciated

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi -

I'm an intermediate skier and have been told by a couple of instructors that I should consider changing my skis. I don't really know enough about what I should be looking for beyond 'stiffer skis'.

I'm currently sking on my own pair of Fischer Wateas, 174 cm, 80 mm underfoot. However, I'm 193cm (6'4") tall and about 125 kg (so 19 and a bit stones) - I'm a former rugby player with a little bit of athleticism left in me! a the moment, I'm happy to develop my on-piste technique - I've no real urge to go off piste or charging through powder - for the moment, at least.

I've been told twice now by instructors that there is too much give in the Watea for someone of my weight, and that I should really look for a stiffer ski will feed back a little better through the turn.

I'll be skiing again over New Year in Alpe d'Huez, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a couple of skis that might be good to demo. In short, I'm a decent, and hopefully improving, intermediate skier looking for a good on-piste ski that's stiff enough to handle my weight.

Any help appreciated!

K
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can't really give you any recommendations but go into a shop in resort like intersport or sport2000 etc. Let them know you're interested in buying a new pair and they'll be so helpful. Sounds a bit obvious but they really know their stuff and will be able to advise you on the ideal ski for your body size/weight and ability.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Eno25, Try hiring first.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've heard good reports of the Head Supershape Titan...

or look somewhere like here http://www.fall-line.co.uk/gear/skis

where I stumbled upon

http://www.fall-line.co.uk/gear/skis/atomic/nomad-blackeye-ti-1011

The new layup won over a couple of Fischer Watea fans. Sally Bartlett: "Livelier and more forgiving for more people in our opinion." Could we go that far? Grip and turn initiation were up with the best and a typically rapid Atomic base gives fantastic fast cruising. We probably wouldn't need to stretch to the slightly wider Nomad Crimson... Especially since the Blackeye Ti is our All-Mountain Ski of the Year
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
try to demo some K2 Chargers as well - K2's answer to the blackeye's
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Great - thanks folks, that's exactly what I need.

In my experience it makes a big difference when you go into a shop with some idea of what you're looking to demo. Those couple of recommendations will help.

Incidentally, both of those instructors told me I should consider having a look at GS skis. That scares me a bit though...

Thanks for your help!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's a reality that the taller/heavier you are, the longer skis you tend to need (pedants please chill I'm speaking generally or trying to!), and that the longer the ski is, the stiffer it must be to remain practical. Imagine the experience if we were to make your existing skis longer, without introducing additional stiffness; it'd be like trying to carve on noodles... Hence the phrase "noodly" to mean wobbly skis.

Bear in mind when choosing/perusing that - if the instructors want you on a stiffer, longer ski - you probably want to increase the skiable edge, ignoring the tips (when the raised tips won't contact the snow). If you move to a 189 ski with massive tip and tail tips, you may find a ski that's similarly flexible/stiff to your current one, and with a similar contact edge on it. Going for skis with just raised tips at the front (E.g Volkl RTM, Rossignol Experience, Volkl Grizzly etc) or v, v small tip at rear, and longer length, should grant you the stiffness you require... But it's hard to say since design and materials and features vary massively!!

HTH
Jam
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jam - thank you so much, that's really helpful. That's exactly what what I'm looking for.

My understanding from the instructors is although those skis are designated expert skis (I'm no expert) the fact that I'm such a big lump will compensate somewhat for the added stiffness and/or smaller sidecut. Correct me if I'm wrong!

Thanks guys, you've been really helpful.

K
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy