Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to ski in north california to washington

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are heading north from San Francisco to find some snow for the next nearly 3 weeks. We are commited to be around portland next weekend (by thursday). Where should we ski? What should we see on the way (Crater lake looks cool)? Where is cheapest to stay?

My reaserch is that Mt Hood ski bowl has 10 days for $250, whistler has loads of snow, and http://www.bingenschool.com/ looks like a cheap place to stay. I am happy to drive a fair way to a ski slope.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You've got so much choice up there really. You've got all the Tahoe resorts, Hood, Timberline and Alpine Meadows around Portland, you've got Whistler as you mention and also Mt Baker which is of course legendary, what sort of group are you?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
> what sort of group are you?

Just me and a friend. One fairly advanced but unfit, one fairly begineer.

The current weather forcast is for more snow further north than lake tahoe (which I would much prefer). I can get the wigglies for portland (http://www.wetterzentrale.de./pics/MT8_Portland_Oregon_USA_ens.png) and San Francisco (http://www.wetterzentrale.de./pics/MT8_San_Francisco_USA_ens.png) and portland looks much better. Then weater map at http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Heavenly-Ski/region_map seems to agree.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Which Portland are you committed?

You can consider Mt Bachelor if you are going to Oregon ( http://www.mtbachelor.com/winter/index.html )
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's as easy as ABC in Washington State - Alpental, Baker, Crystal
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Tahoe weather blog is calling for the storm train to start rolling after the 20th so you'd be best to leave Tahoe til the end. Crater Lake is pretty cool if it's still accessible and in fact the old hotel gives off a total Shining vibe in winter (actually filmed at Hood IIRC). You can probably go north on 5 & hit Crater Lake, Bend and Hood on the way through to Portland. Think I've stayed at that Bingen place, was totally empty mid week springtime.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sightseeing-wise I've mostly been in the Summer and I'm not sure what it would be like in the winter. I can heartily recommend Redwood National Park (North Cal, just before you reach Oregon border), Crater Lake and Mt St Helens. I'm not too sure how much access you'll have to the latter two however during the winter - the road that circles the Crater just below the rim gets loads of snow and I don't think it gets cleared until late Spring. Pretty much anywhere along the coast from San Fran to Seattle will afford you fantastic views and empty spectacular beaches. Cheapest accommodation is probably to be found in motels off the main roads plus it gives you a lot of flexibility.

I was in Bend on business for a good few weeks several winters ago and really enjoyed skiing at Mt Bachelor. The ski area is 20 or so miles from Bend (there is no accommodation at the mountain but it does have the usual shops, ski hire and places to eat) and Bend is the nearest town - pretty typical US mid size town with all the usual chain outlets but did have some more upmarket place to shop and eat. There is also a place called Sunriver which is a similar distance and has several hotels. I drove up in a hired 4x4 but without snow tyres and regretted it - saw a couple of similar vehicles in ditches at the side of the road - most of the locals who access the countryside have studded tyres. There is a bus from Bend which goes at regular intervals.

The skiing was really good IMO. As the region is semi desert the Mountain gets its snow from passing storms so you're either going to get a beautiful blue sky day or be skiing in very snowy and windy weather. Weekends get pretty busy but not in the first and last hours of the day as everyone is driving in. Most of skiing is in the tree line with the best, more challenging and less busy runs coming off the Outback and Northwest Express lifts. These are narrow, undulating and winding runs - really enjoyable. There is a lot of scope for cutting between different runs through the trees. Not really my thing but they really plug the freestyle suff - half pipes, kickers, rails etc. If the weather is good then the lift to the summit opens up. This gives some amazing views and a variety of routes back down to the tree line - some of which were 'backcountry' routes that went the 'other side' of the summit - these seem pretty popular but I was on my own and decided it was outside my comfort zone.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Did the journey SF to Portland a couple of winters ago. While some of it is a little dull, there were some great parts to the drive, really beautiful. We skied at a few places along the way...

Mt Shasta was a small local's type area that was quite good fun but only really enough for a day's skiing.

Mt Bachelor we really liked and ended up staying for a few days, as someone above mentioned the place to stay is Bend - stay at McMenamins Old St. Francis School, really nice little hotel with a great Roman Bath style hot tub area. Anyway, Bachelor is a good mountain and there's some fine skiing to be had here - well worth a stop I'd say.

Next stop for us was Mt Hood, but we weren't that keen to be honest - although to be fair that probably has a large amount to do with the fact we were there on a weekend and it was very busy with day trippers coming up from Portland. I would imagine during the week it would be less crowded and more enjoyable. There was a fair amount of skiing there and it seemed a decent area, but as I say we just didn't warm to it.

Anyway, have fun - I'm sure you will....
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I took my kids to ski at Crystal Mountain last Easter and we had loads of fun - mainly as snowed heavily and they hadn't pisted anywhere (and was mid-week so deserted!). Suspect it gets pretty crammed at the weekend though. There is a fantastic instructor called Alison (Brit but been out there for yonks) if your beginner fancies a lesson. It was the first time I had skied with the girls in a strange resort on my own (they were 6+Cool so just wanted to make sure we stayed safe.... She sussed out the needs of my little group brilliantly and gave the 6 year old a massive confidence boost.
We drove from there to Portland to see a friend and think it should have been about a 3 hour drive - but traffic was horrid (was Friday evening) and took a lot longer!
We were based in Seattle and would def go back midweek if we wanted a couple of days skiing - closer to SEA than Portland. The accomdation we stayed in was lovely and v v cheap if staying for a couple of nights (self catered appt called Eagle's nest or some such name)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You have a lot of choice. Bachelor and Crystal are my favorites, and there;s fun to be had at Hood and other places. Weather is a factor, so my advice is follow the snow. Lots of info on my blog at http://gortonator.wordpress.com/ - we ski the Cascades 30-ish days every year from Bachelor to Whistler ... and with current forecast, might be skiing Hood meadows on friday Wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy