Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stairs for training?

Poster: A snowHead
Im planning another trip to Hakuba in Feb and want to get my legs into shape. I live near a set of 100 steps from the river to the Rd and Kings Park has 234 steps at a place called Jacob's Ladder. Do you think stairs are a good strenthening exercise for skiing?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hybridfiat, I'd say yes too but shouldn't allow your quads to overpower your hamstrings. I'd throw in a bunch of hamstring work too.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
When I worked at Heathrow in the late 60s and early 70s, whenever I was on night shift in T1 I used to run up the down escalator, and down the up one (from the arrivals level down to immigration) for half an hour. That got me fit ..............
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

That got me fit ..............

now it would get you arrested
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
hybridfiat, welcome to snowheads, and maybe see you in hakuba in feb snowHead , which resort are you heading out to ??

steps are good , maybe also carry two equal weights ( dumbells ?? ) to increase intensity snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
To strengthen my legs I like to do exercises which require balance control eg negative one leg squats. Don't do anything reckless though ie I always use a stable surface and focus on excellent form. But to do this you need to know what good form is.

Don't neglect the hamstrings - it's very important to have a balanced approach.
For endurance hill sprints, stairs, sand dunes are all fantastic ways to exercise the heart and build in some leg strength.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Elston,
Is there a simple way to check if strength is balanced ok between hamstrings and quads?
Thanks
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
the downstairs part would be good for skiing too me reckons
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mike3000 wrote:
Elston,
Is there a simple way to check if strength is balanced ok between hamstrings and quads?
Thanks

In a gym go on a leg extension machine (the one where you sit down and straighten your legs) and see what the heaviest weight you can lift is (one rep max). Then go on to a leg curl machine (either sat down or lay on your front where you have to bend your legs from extended) and again see what the heaviest weight you can lift on that is. Ideally your leg curl score should be about 80% of your leg extension score, if it's less (for most people this is likely) you may want to do some more hamstring strengthening.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Andybag, that's interesting, thanks. I've never actually measured that, but I find the leg curl ones difficult so I'm sure I have the imbalance you mention!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mike3000 wrote:
Elston,
Thanks

I don't know of any. But the basic idea is to not to over develop one or the other and to have a balanced selection of exercises. This will help with injury prevention and posture. Don't forget stretching.

It will also help with preventing injuries caused by excessive repetition of an exercise. I have found that if I have a large selection of exercises that I enjoy doing then I am much less likely to get injured. It also helps to prevent training fatigue.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
barry, agree, possibly more so than upstairs ones!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
think opposites generally - if doing chest then do back same workout, biceps do triceps, situps-stretch lower back, quads-hammies
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Andybag,
Thanks, will do
latest report
I didn't know that hamstrings needed separate exercises. I do squats and ride my bike up hills. What should I do to balance it?
ski holidays
Andybag wrote:
Mike3000 wrote:
Elston,
Thanks

In a gym go on a leg extension machine (the one where you sit down and straighten your legs) and see what the heaviest weight you can lift is (one rep max). Then go on to a leg curl machine (either sat down or lay on your front where you have to bend your legs from extended) and again see what the heaviest weight you can lift on that is. Ideally your leg curl score should be about 80% of your leg extension score, if it's less (for most people this is likely) you may want to do some more hamstring strengthening.

I'd only do this test if your hamstrings are strong otherwise you could end up pulling or ripping a hamstring. IMO the hamstring curl machine is risky as should something get strained you can't just drop out of the exercise without the curl machine continuing to put pressure on the muscle. I see hamstring exercises on an exercise ball or BOSU as being much safer plus they also do a lot for your core strength at the same time.

http://youtube.com/v/OkJPg2DwR20

http://youtube.com/v/czf-1snzG2c

snowball wrote:
I didn't know that hamstrings needed separate exercises. I do squats and ride my bike up hills. What should I do to balance it?

Actually if your pedaling technique is off you use your quads more and create an even bigger imbalance. Clip-in pedals and one legged smooth pedaling helps to even out the balance.
snow report
DB wrote:
Andybag wrote:
Mike3000 wrote:
Elston,
Thanks

I'd only do this test if your hamstrings are strong otherwise you could end up pulling or ripping a hamstring. IMO the hamstring curl machine is risky as should something get strained you can't just drop out of the exercise without the curl machine continuing to put pressure on the muscle. I see hamstring exercises on an exercise ball or BOSU as being much safer plus they also do a lot for your core strength at the same time.

DB - What you say is true for any exercise involving lifting a weight, if the muscle becomes strained then gravity will pull whatever weight back towards the centre of the earth putting pressure on whatever muscle you are using to lift the weight. I'm pretty sure that no one would strain their hamstring carrying out this exercise as grade 1-3 hamstring injuries tend to be as a result of explosive movements carried out with little or no warm up. If the subject is using a heavy weight then there is no way that this movement will be explosive and quick enough to cause significant damage to the muscle.

The exercises that you have mentioned are just that, exercises, however there is no way of using them as a test in order to quantify the strength of the hamstrings in comparison to the quads.
ski holidays
lift technique means a lot too though, no? so explosively up then very slowly back down will have a different effect than the opposite (which would be more common with the average bear?)

again though, running downstairs / downhill is mucho good for ski legs
snow conditions
barry wrote:
lift technique means a lot too though, no? so explosively up then very slowly back down will have a different effect than the opposite (which would be more common with the average bear?)

again though, running downstairs / downhill is mucho good for ski legs

For your 1 rep max it would be impossible to lift explosively as at the start of the lift, the hamstrings would be contracting isometrically initially, before they started to move the weight (like trying to push a full fridge), then once you started to move the weight the lift becomes easier
snow conditions
The Didier Cuche method, including innovative use of stairs:

http://youtube.com/v/0sH2qo73TLI

The Bode Miller method:

http://youtube.com/v/4gSwL-qhLZw&feature=related
snow conditions
Andybag, wasnt meaning for a max single, just generally
ski holidays
barry wrote:
Andybag, wasnt meaning for a max single, just generally

Ah right, I agree that's what's normally done and even on a max you try to lift explosively but due to the weight it just doesn't happen
latest report
i used to be quite the gym rat in my rugby days - long time ago now. We had a nice little gym in the club. The Irish team used to train with us pretty regularly and a few would stick around after the runout to do some weights - trick was to get in there before them, then time it so you could be pressing a fairly big but just manageable weight when they walked in the door - then give it "98....99..............100" Laughing

that balance stuff Cuche was up to is pretty tough i reckon, and I'd get the heebies jumping down off high steps like that. Very interesting though that they improvise a lot - probably due to necessity of always being on the road when they're doing maintenance but also will keep it interesting and fun, we were always looking for some variations and new things to mix it up a bit

XC skiing is good for alpine skiing too (knackering an' all)
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
The Didier Cuche method, including innovative use of stairs:

Really explosive and powerful! He must have extremely well developed quick twitch muscle fibres.

Don't try all of these exercises at home kids!! Smile
snow report
Touchguru wrote:
Don't try any of these exercises at home kids!! Smile
FIFY

wink
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
Touchguru wrote:
Don't try any of these exercises at home kids!! Smile
FIFY

wink

Wink

I am sure everyone can cycle slowly! Smile
latest report
Touchguru, LOL!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Andybag wrote:
DB - What you say is true for any exercise involving lifting a weight, if the muscle becomes strained then gravity will pull whatever weight back towards the centre of the earth putting pressure on whatever muscle you are using to lift the weight. I'm pretty sure that no one would strain their hamstring carrying out this exercise as grade 1-3 hamstring injuries tend to be as a result of explosive movements carried out with little or no warm up. If the subject is using a heavy weight then there is no way that this movement will be explosive and quick enough to cause significant damage to the muscle.

This is the internet I saw a chance someone would test their quads to the limit and then get on the hamstring curl machine and attempt 80% of the max quad weight with poor form (jerky).

Andybag wrote:
The exercises that you have mentioned are just that, exercises, however there is no way of using them as a test in order to quantify the strength of the hamstrings in comparison to the quads.

This is true - I never stated that they were a test just that they were better exercises for a skier than a static machine (because they involve a balance element) and that these exercises could be used for a while to build up the hamstrings before conducting such a test.

Quote:
Hamstring Prevention
Muscle overload is the most common factor for pulled hamstring muscles. The next time you are doing hamstring curls, reduce the amount of weight on the machine and avoid sudden, jerky movements while contracting and extending the muscle. You can also help avoid pulling your hamstring by properly stretching the muscle before exercise. To stretch your hamstring, stand with your feet close together. If you're trying to stretch your right hamstring, cross your left leg just over your right leg. Bend over at the waist and drop your arms until you feel a stretch in your right hamstring. Hold this stretch for 10 to 15 seconds, then rest. Repeat two to three times before your workout.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/371172-pulled-hamstring-from-a-leg-curl/
ski holidays
My wife and I are heading to Hakuba on 15th of Feb for 7 days.
I think Ill just stick with the stairs for now. I run but that isnt enough I know from experience.
ski holidays
Ah well maybe someone else will listen to what people have said. Stairs and running alone is likely to build up the quads but leave the hamstrings lacking. This often results in backseat skiing which then tires out the quads leaving skiers thinking they need to build up their quads even more. rolling eyes
You can drag a horse to water ................
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy