Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Volkl RTM

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anybody got / demoed / skied these?

Specifically looking at the 80's or the 84's as a replacement for my trusty old x wings.

Most online reviews look positive, would like opinions on here.

Skiing - 75% on piste, mainly cruising reds with occasional black.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've only tested the 77's. A very easy going ride but good fun and really locked into a solid carve when on edge. I liked them. The 80's are supposed to be a bit stiffer but I wasn't able to try them.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've demo'd the 84s but only in a fridge. I found them quite stiff, easy to get on edge, very solid once there, but they were too much for me (at the time). I would say on the mountain, on a fast red, hard-pack, maybe some ice, quite steep, they're going to be pretty special ; or likely to kill you! I imagine they'd punch through chop/variable like nobody's business, and they should fare reasonably well in deeper snow since I think they're quite wide in the front/shovel. They also have no twin tip, which has it's advantages (I'm not sure rappelling off a 70/30 or 60/40 piste/off-piste ski is ever called for... But you never know).

I may try and get a second try on these to be honest, now I know what I'm looking for a bit more. At the time I demo'd them I had my heart set on a funky off-piste set of planks... But now I've read more, and demo'd more, perhaps a strong, punchy carver with reasonable off-piste ability is probably not far off what I feel is right for me... But actual purchase may not be for a long time yet... Maybe I should stop thinking about it.... Very Happy I recall they were £450 with no binding from the Volkl rep's advice on the day (MK fridge "Big Ski Test" in I think Oct or Nov), fwiw.

Definitely worth a demo, ideally up a mountain Very Happy

HTH,
Jamie
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy