Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in north England!?!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Is it worth a try? where are the best centres? when and where are the best/ most consistent conditions found? are there hire shops anywhere nearby?
Thanks in advance
hopefully
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=83016

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=82554
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.yadmoss.co.uk
http://www.skiweardale.com
http://www.ldscsnowski.co.uk
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes. If you don't live to far and are prepared.

Weardale: 2 button lifts in a row so a decent vertical descent, reasonably steep - your basic red run. Road up from the A road/Daddry Shield needs proper kit (4WD with winter tyres or 2WD winter tyres + chains minimum). Or park near the start of the minor road and hope to cadge a lift (the walk will take about an hour with kit). Short walk from car park across fields to lower tow. Has cabin to eat your packed lunch in.

Yad Moss: 1 tow, not as steep, more piste grooming near the tow, 5mins uphill walk from the B road so normal car can get closer. Cabin for lunch has a drop loo.

Raise: Minor road out of Patterdale, becomes dirt track and the car park is the very last reachable by wheeled transport. Then a 1 hour walk up the mountain to reach a short tow and a cabin with a new loo. Black/steep red off piste lines and you need to join for the season (no day memberships).

No ski hire. Reasonable experience of drag lifts, winter driving and the mountains in winter required.

Also ski tows at Harwood and Allenheads but haven't been to these.

Yad Moss certainly can get busy and the first 2 may suspend day memberships if it is too busy so get there early (10ish, they are run by volunteers who understandably don't do pre-dawn prep). The best conditions are found when there is snow! They all try to keep their websites/phones updated with realistic info.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
All looks like could be worth checkin out, am favouring the look of weardale at the moment. Next friday would look like being a good day lets just hope the snow gods can make it happen. Any suggestions as to anywhere a couple mates could hire ski gear from in york area or on way up?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
there use to be a button tow up Kirkstone pass in the lakes, but as soon as its snows the road to it closes!!!!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In good conditions (snow not walking) the hour is a bit exagerated in my experience for getting up Raise. When I was up last year breaking trail took about 1hr 45 mins for a fit man of the mountains wink

I only live 25 mins int he car from Raise so it's worth it for me but if I was having a 2+ hour drive I'd go the hole hog and head north of the border.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yad moss (off piste) if you can call it that Laughing had lots of small pillows last year during the powder dump. No idea what I was skiing over but the hill must be really uneven, almost like skiing down giant steps in places. It was fantastic on Gotamas.

Tried Weardale a few days later and was gutted to find boiler plate ice, no fun on fatter skis and I guess that is the only problem with skiing in england. Those two resorts are literally just over the hill from each other and can have very different conditions, and a few days can ruin the good snow so you really have to get there as soon as the snow reports say it's good.

I would say weardale is probably for more advanced skiers but getting there also takes a bit more prep in terms of snow chains etc. Yad moss has more days open to non members especially weekends. It's not the alps or Scotland! But it is far more enjoyable than a snowdome and some spectacular views, friendly folk too.

It would be nice to hear your feedback after your trip. If I am about I'd be happy to bring a couple of pairs of skis along for you but I am away that weekend, one of the centres has a hire facility with skis out of the ark, have a look on the websites.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chamonix is 1000 km'ish from anywhere important in Britain according to the Barek Halfhand alternative route planner. London - oop North is 999 km'ish - so like he said, for the sake of the extra few quid on the tolls & extra couple of minutes in the chunnel - go to the Alps. wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy