Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne races against time to rebuild fire-hit gondola system

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
La Plagne's Bellecote gondola system, which was seriously damaged by a fire on 5 August, will be rebuilt for this winter if the operators are successful with the weather and work schedule. This lift is vital to the economy of the resort since it accesses the highest (glacial) skiing.

The challenge facing the resort is formidable. One station was completely destroyed. The cable melted under the heat of the fire, breaking and dragging down five cabins, one of which was destroyed in its fall. One pylon was destroyed, and two heads of pylons must be replaced.

To complete the reconstruction a team of 30, working seven days a week, is being deployed on the mountain and will live on site with full accommodation and facilities.

This report on the ifyouski.com site.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You've got to admire the committment (required by need) to make this happen. The logistics are something else.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The main need for replacement of this end section of the old gondola is that it gives access to some good off piste routes. (The glacier itself is so small it is of little interest except for summer training - and it hasn't opened for the last couple of years in summer AFAIK.)
I can't figure out how they've achieved 'road access' but that, combined with temporarily accommodating the workers on site, is no doubt the key to success for this prompt repair. Sometimes I suppose it's good to have a large organisation like CDA involved who can get on with things quickly - knowing they can sort out insurance and finance to cover the costs.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
kuwait_ian, you know it's not all that small? When we were skiing there last summer in July there were two or race clubs and about ten tourists -perhaps thirty to forty people in all. Ample room, no queues, perfect for people wanting to combine a mountain holiday with a few mornings on the slopes, a mix of shallow to steep blues. Good training ground for all abilities.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PG, yes it's adequate for summer training, when open. The runs on it are blue on the piste map but are quite steep and if bumpy are more red IMO.
The point I was really trying to make is that the glacier is of little or no interest in the winter. In fact LP rarely opened it in winter on my visits in 2002, 3 & 4.
But there are long guided runs (which I've never done - way above my level) from up there which are a valuable part of LP's domaine for the advanced sliders. Good news that it should be available for the 2005/6 season. According to the IYS article, 300,000 use the lift each season. More popular than I thought - given that it's quite often not running.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Here's a dramatic shot of the fire at the summit station, being doused by a helicopter.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Maybe someone should tell them im coming- they'd soon pull their finger out then!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Maybe someone should tell them im coming- they'd soon pull their finger out then!

er, perhaps you should reconsider that statement.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
marc gledhill, Maybe you should get laid and stop picking out the naughty things in innocent statements. Twisted Evil
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes please, I'll have two (save one for later) snowHead

Grow up. Why?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Construction workers have been battling all autumn to get the Bellecote gondola rebuilt after the fire, and it's been a formidable challenge.

PisteHors.com reports - here - on the progress, and prospects of reopening the lift by Christmas.

According to their report the 30 workers have been housed in a temporary high-altitude camp of 8 temporary buildings, hurriedly installed and equipped to provide 24-hour facilities.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy