Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Seeking advice on a first time Lad's Ski/Board Holiday

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just looking for some advice as a bad newbie to boarding/ski-ing.

Me and 3 other lads are really looking to get into Ski-ing&Snowboarding and looking to book 5-7 nights away in april next year somewhere that is has a great nightlife aswell.

Now i really dont have the first clue about any ski-resorts.. no not even one.

So just wondering if anyone at all could offer some advice on where to start? We have been looking at Bulgaria, France, Italy and seen mentions of Andorra on all the sites we have come across but again we have no clue on where to start. As it's our first ski hol we wont be looking to splash out a massive amount and wont even mind driving.

As i said above we are looking for april and all the resorts i came across so far another thing i didnt account for is the snowfall and weather in april which again i dont have a clue about.

Any recomendations at all and any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Mondzz,

No matter where you end up you'll have a scream !

In April & certainly in Europe you will need to focus on where the snow is as in a lot of resorts the snow will be either gone or retreating rapidly.

The Ski Club of GB has some data on historical snow but off the top of my head I would suggest you consider Val Thorens & Tigns (both in France)as they are very high and as snow-sure as you'll get. Unfortunately I can't offer any advice on Italy or Austria as haven't ski'd in either. Andorra could well have snow issues this late.

The most important thing for you all if you've never been before is to budget for lessons - skiing is not a sport you can teach yourself without serious injury ! You can of course minimise the time you spend on the nursery slopes (wasted time in my opinion !) by doing a lot of this at home at the snowdomes dependent upon where you all live. My wife did a 'learn to ski in a day' course at Tamworth and hasn't needed much else in the way of lessons since and she's happy navigating her way around the mountains with me.

If I were in your shoes I'd go for a catered chalet so that all your drinks are included, transfers sorted, etc. You will find 'cheaper' by doing everything yourself but remember that eating & drinking in the mountains is not the cheapest sport !

Good luck
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mondzz, welcome to Snowheads snowHead and sliding snowHead snowHead snowHead

You might have a look at the all-in holidays offered by Action Outdoors in UCPA Centres in France. They're incredible value. They include everything, but not all centres, all weeks, offer tuition suitable for complete beginners.

The kind of prices they offer are unbeatable - around £600 for everything except your drinks. If you ring them and explain what you're after, they'll point you in the right direction. You might need to decide whether you are going to ski or board for your first week, though.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the info Snowmonkey that help alot!

I thought April might be abit late in the season but as long as there is a bit of snow in france as you say that may be the best option.

With basically no experience of boarding once the holiday is decided on and booked we are all looking at a few training days or courses at the Chill Factor (Previously Snowdome) in manchester which should help alot.

The hardest thing is deciding on the holiday to get it booked.

Thanks for the advice though mate appreciate it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Mondzz, April is a bit late to have a great choice, so if you went earlier in the season (avoid the school holidays if you can) you'd have more choice.
My opinion (and everyone has one) on Bulgaria is, for first timers, who want a bit of life at night, but don't want to spend too much in case you don't like it or aren't fit enough to ski all day every day, you can't go wrong. My first skiing trip was to France, and although the instruction was good it cost and arm and a leg.
The second year we went to Borovets, instruction wasn't much difference, and i spent less on holiday and spending money than i did on the accommodation and flights to France alone.
No, the resorts aren't as good, but seeing as you haven't been before you have nothing to compare it to. Just check the snow, but Feb/March time you should be ok almost everywhere. FYI we stayed at the Samakov in Borovets, and no it's not brilliant (would you expect 4* in Bulgaria), but it was a bed and a hot breakfast. And cheap beer. Not £7.50 for a pint like in France.
Then, when you decide you love skiing, and will sacrafice sun holidays from now on, then go to France/Austria etc. IMO
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Wow thanks for the replys!

Stew thats some great info there and its really helped clear it up alot for me. I will focus looking at Borovets now then as it looks like it suits us the most as first timewrs and also price wise as we dont want to dive in and go the whole way with %* etc with it being a first time.

Any idea on the season in Borovets mate? No chance of it being good in April? If not then maybe we could aim for the back end of march.

Borovet's sounds like a front runner at the moment though.

Another thing is we actually first came across organising a Ski holiday by a mate mentioning the festival 'Snowbombing'. Has anyone been to that before if so would you recommend it for first timers? Its one of the options we are also looking at as the festival side would top it off as a great ski holiday.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi Mondzz, The SkiClub of Great Britian have some info on Historical snow, but not much for Bulgaria.
If you are limited to dates (end March/April) i'd go for a late deal, as the snow might be a bit ropey in those resorts. If you can change dates, go in Feb/early March then you'll be fine. The worst thing to do for your first trip is go somewhere and find no 'real' snow, and either side of the pistes green, does kind of put you off. However, you might find that this season, although being a slow starter, might be a bumper season, and snow is still on the ground in April.
Basically, if you want guaranteed snow in Bulgaria, go earlier, or book last minuite. If you can only ski in April, and Bulgaria has melted (not the country!!!) got to a Glacier resort, Cervinia is a good bet, as again has some night life, and is snow sure. But it will cost more than Bulgaria.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
MountainSun do some deals towards the end of season in Tignes which should give you good snow, beer in their hotels not a bad price. the only drawback will be your down the road away from the bars of Lac - but its only a short taxi ride if you want to go up to town and get on it.....
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you're in a group of four lads it's guaranteed you'll have a good crack but i would just say go wherever the snow is last minute and you will find a deal at reasonable cost. Turning up to no snow or poor snow will be a right downer. Also the difference between great or good snow and crap wet slushy snow is huge. Good snow means you will learn quicker and get more enjoyment from the skiing. If the skiing is good the rest will follow.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We are currently doing some development work for a new exciting series, where we are hoping to follow young people going on ski holidays together. At this stage I would like talk to groups of friends/individuals who are thinking about going on a ski holiday, or have one booked for this current season.

I’m looking for people that want to get different things out of their holiday; whether they are a novice taking to the slopes for the first time, a pro freestyler or simply going along for the all important Après ski scene! Perhaps yourself or some friends have a ski break planned before the end of the current season?

I would love to talk to you in more detail when it is convenient. You can email me on kate.wincup@bullseye.tv with your details and I'll get back to you! Thanks!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy