Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The less well known French Ski Resorts 2011/2012 Mega Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Les 7 Laux (Isere) prepares to open its doors this weekend with 50cm of dense pow at 2000m. We thought we'd get up their first to make sure it was nicely pisted for the weekend warriors.

http://pistehors.com/news/forums/viewthread/1077/

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 8-12-11 15:50; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice pictures of freshies, but the soothsayers will be along shortly to advise you not to ski with your feet so close together. Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ansta1 wrote:
Nice pictures of freshies, but the soothsayers will be along shortly to advise you not to ski with your feet so close together. Toofy Grin

A friend of mine used to ski like that, his clips got caught up, he couldn't turn and ended up skiing through the terrace of a mountain restaurant at high speed ! Laughing

Still as Brel used to say "on prend tous le train qu'on peut"

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 8-12-11 15:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Le Semnoz has had quite a bit. Not sure when it plans to open.

Seythenex/La Sambuy is opening on the 17th as far as I know.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
paulio wrote:
Le Semnoz has had quite a bit. Not sure when it plans to open.

Seythenex/La Sambuy is opening on the 17th as far as I know.

Seythenex may be a good plan for you if it snows a bit more next week.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've got my eye on it. Looks like a really interesting little spot.

Everso slightly annoyingly too far from here though. Wrong side of Faverges innit.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Les Saisies is opening partially this coming weekend. 95 cms at 2000m.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
paulio wrote:
I've got my eye on it. Looks like a really interesting little spot.

Everso slightly annoyingly too far from here though. Wrong side of Faverges innit.

ah yeah, I can see that could cause a problem hasn't Michelin 3 Star Chef Marc Veyrat opened a new restaurant that way though, could be a nice stop for supper if he has got anywhere with his project.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks davidof ... the return of my 2nd favourite snowheads thread. Cool
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof, nice - what's the name of the peak in the 3rd pic?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, be sure to keep us updated! Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arno wrote:
davidof, nice - what's the name of the peak in the 3rd pic?

Rocher d'Arguille
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Once again the thread to watch for 2011/12 Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

A friend of mine used to ski like that, his clips got caught up, he couldn't turn and ended up skiing through the terrace of a mountain restaurant at high speed

that sounds like a bond movie out take, or was it Hot Dog Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

NIce pics the peak in pic three looks special Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
With a veritable avalanche of ski resort openings this weekend it looked like we would be spoilt for choice. Chamrousse? Too townie, les 7 laux? too rock 'n' roll. So it was up to Allevard where we'd closed the resort in much worse conditions in April last year.

Despite only a chair and drag being open intel suggested that it was not busy and also that the piste front cafe was up and running and had food.

There is around 30-50cm of compacted snow on the runs. A few small bare patches. All this in the 1600-2000 m altitude range. Below that the snow isn't really skiable due to the thaw and rain to 1700m on Wednesday - Thursday.

On piste is loose fresh snow, very skiable. Off piste was heavy to crusty, not really something you'd want to spend much time doing.

Some more snow expected during the week. We probably need 50cm to survive through the Christmas traffic.
ski holidays
Le Semnoz partial opening Saturday 17th (the Annecy side) and full opening Sunday 18th.
ski holidays
7 Laux backcountry this afternoon.... ueber gavage !

latest report
Quote:

We probably need 50cm to survive through the Christmas traffic.

you got it! snowHead
snow report
paulio wrote:
Le Semnoz partial opening Saturday 17th (the Annecy side) and full opening Sunday 18th.

where did you go in the end? any photos?
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

We probably need 50cm to survive through the Christmas traffic.

you got it! snowHead

Thanks Pam, you came up with the goods for us this year. I know you are a weather fan, any news on the thaw next week?
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
paulio wrote:

where did you go in the end? any photos?

In the end I moped round my house with a massive hangover.
snow report
Hope it clears up in time for Christmas.

St Hils opened yesterday. They claim some of the best opening conditions with 50cm at the bottom and 100cm at the top of the pistes. That is more than they had at any point last season.

Not too many people around, still most French work up to the 24th

Fantastic yellow rock bands of the Chartreuse, the cliff on the right was first climbed by the legendary Gary Hemming.

http://www.grangeauxloups.fr/
ski holidays
Any news on Resort X? Toofy Grin

Just placing a random comment, so that this one pops up in my posts list wink
snow report
davidof, wonderful pictures!
snow report
Schuss in Boots, those in the inner-circle of knowledge do have the location of Resort X.

I can reveal that this is the wrong thread as X n'est pas Francaise.
snow report
rungsp, Hmmm... this is gonna cost me beer isn't it? wink
ski holidays
Chamrousse today.

The rain has had an effect on the lower lying pistes, this is the Olympic Mens Black at 1400m

fortunately this is the only run that dips below 1600m and the snow at that level is very good for December.

The Crescents couloirs are well filled in

Pistes are busy though

top of the Olympic mens, great snow conditions

ski holidays
Snow depth at Chamrousse/Plateau d'Arselle at 1600 meters today, must be around 80 cm

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Been doing much of the same over Christmas but today we went somewhere different, the Col de Marcieu above Chambery. The resort has invested quite a lot in more snowmaking and a long magic carpet for the kids bringing the resort total to 2. The beginner pistes are also wider.

as you can see the tot and I had to fight through the Christmas crowds

incredible the number of people out skiing the fresh snow and sunshine

with insane lift queues

crazy lift pass prices too, I think a kids pass must be around 6 euros !
snow report
Thanks for the photographs. Love this thread! Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Feast,
Quote:

Love this thread!
Me too
snow report
Great Pics. Very Jealous though Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
We had a good trip round the Espace Diamant today. Good cover everywhere - snow excellent at higher levels but a bit scratchy down in the valley after the last few mushy days. No queues, no ice. This is the top of the Cred du Midi chair in Praz sur Arly.

Very good lunch at Le Petit Tetras nearby. Sauté de sanglier aux myrtilles, half a litre of red wine, coffee. 40 euros with a (modest) tip.
latest report
Delicious!

View from the Ban Rouge, looking towards Notre Dame de Bellecombe.
Megeve is over on the left.
ski holidays
Thanks for pictures and update Pam.

How are the lower slopes in Seizures at the moment, given that they have a bit more altitude than the rest of the lower slopes in the Espace Diamant?
ski holidays
Quote:

How are the lower slopes in Seizures at the moment

Laughing There aren't any low slopes in Les Saisies, except the bottom red down into Hauteluce. didn't do that today, as we headed right over to Praz sur Arly, but I'm sure it would be OK - just a bit scratchy/crumby, till the next round of lower snow later this week.

All the other Saisies slopes are excellent - it was only the bottom of the Arly Valley areas which was not so good today. Though having said that, it would have counted as terrific conditions last season - it's all relative!

The reds in the Douce bowl were pretty mogully by the end of the day - snow was great, but a bit of a challenge for the old knees. wink
latest report
pam w wrote:
We had a good trip round the Espace Diamant today. Good cover everywhere - snow excellent at higher levels but a bit scratchy down in the valley after the last few mushy days. No queues, no ice. This is the top of the Cred du Midi chair in Praz sur Arly.

Very good lunch at Le Petit Tetras nearby. Sauté de sanglier aux myrtilles, half a litre of red wine, coffee. 40 euros with a (modest) tip.

Nice pics, looks like great snow and execellent lunch stop.

Been out but largely back to St Hilaire du Touvet which suffered a bit with the weekend rain. There was fresh snow yesterday, but at what level?

You can see the effect the rain had here

it fell to around 2300m altitude (hence the big break in avalanche risk at that altitude we are seeing at the moment). Natural purges lower down, slabs above.

Still the totster was happy, here he is with Mt Blanc behind

ski holidays
Started digging out the path this morning but there was just too much. We've only (!) had 50 cms level, but with the wind it had drifted in and completely filled up the previous path. Only way was to use snow shoes and tamp it down, rather than dig it out. Here's me going over the top.....

The chair is closed, the bus won't get up here in so much snow, so nowhere to go for the moment but if the lift opens this afternoon at least I'll be able to climb out.

Still snowing, but only a few inches this morning so far.
snow conditions
Wow. Just wow.

Hope the lifts open for you this afternoon.
ski holidays
Blimey Pam, thats awesome Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy