Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski purchase - request for advice

Poster: A snowHead
Here’s another request for help with a ski purchase.

The basics:

Height: 5ft 11in (180cm)

Weight: 175lbs (79.5kg)

Ability: Ski any piste with a reasonable degree of style. Ragged over moguls.

Style: Mixture of 1. heading straight down with constant short turns and 2. (what I imagine to be!) super giant slalom style with no turns except when the piste veers off around a corner! Want to do a lot more of 1 but don’t think I put a lot of effort into my turns so probably want something that doesn’t require too much input.

Use: on piste only

What I want: Something that’ll help me turn quickly and take the speed off easily – I find that when skiing style 1 above I’m gathering speed all the time when I want each of my turns to slow me down – I’m sure this is a question of technique but a ski that would help me with this would be a bonus.

Current skis: Atomic cheapos from the local InterSport.

Other: Doesn’t have to be the latest model. Price is an issue!

I live in a ski resort so will use the skis about 70 times this coming season – mostly for only a couple of hours at a time so if they’re a bit of hard work to ski it won’t be the end of the world as I can go back to my old skis for a full-days skiing.

To sum up: I'm a cheap-skate that wants a pair of skis that'll do all the work for me Very Happy

Thanks, in advance, for any ideas.

Ben
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As you're in resort I presume you can demo a few. If so try Fischer RX8's and Volkl 5*'s both of which are similar and nice to ski on.

Also, the French will love the fact you only demo "foreign" skis. snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I like the suggestion of winding up my neighbours but don't want to wait until I'm back in France because:

(a) Although there's a good choice of hire skis the kit to buy in our area isn't so great
(b) It's way more expensive even if I buy ex-rental
(c) If I buy from shop A, I p*ss off shop B etc (there's a bit of this in where we take guests to hire skis) so best to annoy them all slightly!
(d) I want new toys now even if I can't play with them!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ben wright,

If you're doing lots of short turns you'll probably want a ski that is fairly quick edge to edge, but for your fast GS turns something very stable at speed. The skier cross skis, like the vokl 5* Marc mentioned are probably pretty good at this.

As for taking off speed - I think that is just a case of technique! I have yet to see a ski that comes with a "slow down" button! A few lessons will sort that out, whatever ski you opt for.

You could also try demoing a few of slalom skis. If you're a strong skier they should help to tighten up your short turns.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

As for taking off speed - I think that is just a case of technique!

I'll just have to drag my poles along the ground then Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ben wright, why not take a season's hire, you'll probably find that your local ski shop will give a good deal and will alllow you to change skis through the season. Then find the skis you like best and make a deal at the season's end.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ben wright wrote:

Style: Mixture of 1. heading straight down with constant short turns

If you expect those to be no shorter than ~15m then the current crop of what used to be called 'cross skis sounds like just your ticket. Otherwise, slalom and slalom carver like the Dynastar Omecarve of old, as I think beanie1 said.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have you read my thread on the fischer rx8. These are an awesome ski. Last seasons but apparently there is no change only cosmetics this year. Comparable to a volkl 5/6* at half the price it should be at. I am in no way affiliated with the seller but like for my fellow snowheads to pick up bargains where possible.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ben wright wrote:
What I want: Something that’ll help me turn quickly and take the speed off easily – I find that when skiing style 1 above I’m gathering speed all the time when I want each of my turns to slow me down – I’m sure this is a question of technique but a ski that would help me with this would be a bonus.

If you're gathering speed too much, complete the turns! The less vertical component, the less speed, so, you need to head across the slope more than down it before you go into the next turn.

As for skis to try, yes, go for a cross ski
Dynastar Omegacarve
Head iXRC
Volkl 5*
Perhaps the Atomic Metron B5

You MAY want to look at the Rossi B2 - it's not as much of a performance ski, but would give you more options if you venture into moguls or off piste, than some of the stiffer cross skis would.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

you need to head across the slope more than down it

But skiing across the hill is so dull!

I'm sure it's all a question of technique as my girlfriend can ski straight down the mountain turning constantly (but never heading across the slope) at a much slower pace than I can.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
filarinskis.com were doing last years Volkl 5* for £250 inc bindings. Don't know if they have any left. The Metron B5 is kind of pricey and seems to be quite popular at the minute as does the B2 bandit making it difficult to get a bargain on them.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
have you looked on http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ben wright wrote:
Quote:

I'm sure it's all a question of technique as my girlfriend can ski straight down the mountain turning constantly (but never heading across the slope) at a much slower pace than I can.

Sorry, perhaps I didn't explain it clearly - I don't mean make traverses between turns, but to complete the turn before going into the next one - you need to come out of the fall-line more. The more you are in the fall-line, the faster you will go.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Definitely agree with the XRC idea - very versatile ski and much more stable at speed and on hard packed piste than something like the B2.

If you are looking for a bargain have a look at the Ellis Brigham September sale. I got some good kit there a couple of years ago and not just skis. It is a bit of a lottery - they don't have stocks of stuff just lots to get rid of so try to get to the first sale ( I think in Manchester) if you can and get there early in the day which ever one you try. Have a look at this site www.ellis-brigham.com/cgi-bin/pnDbDetail.cgi/display::news::::::346::user
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Check out Beans of Bicester as well...
www.beansonline.co.uk
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
I don't mean make traverses between turns, but to complete the turn before going into the next one

So how do you know if you've completed the turn? I'm intrigued what everyone's opinion is since I find it a rather fine line to distinguish between completing the turn and holding that thought for a split second before starting the next turn, and nearly completing a turn.
ski holidays
In the context you mention here it is a case of continuing the turn until you reach the speed you are happy with before you start the next one. If you are picking up speed from one turn to the next and then having to slam on the breaks you are not finishing the turn. You talk about wanting to control your speed so think about controlling it with the shape of the turn you make. There is on set point that you have finished your turn - it depends on how fast you want to travel and the pitch of the slope you are on but concentrate on that being a constant speed rather than faster and faster.

The flip side of this is to make sure you are always turning one way or the other - avoid dead spots in your turn like when you traverse. Try skiing with a rhythm in your head like saying "turn 2 3 turn 2 3". If you find yourself picking up speed then you can try lengthening your turn shape by saying "turn 2 3 4 turn 2 3 4" etc.

Hope this helps
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, I'm intrigued; you suggest a 'cross' ski and list the Dynastar Omegacarve (Omecarve?) as such a ski. I'm on Dynastar Skicross 10s, which they describe as their Skicross ski; the Omecarve was, I thought, described as a carving ski for piste use.

Showing my ignorance here, but what's the difference between a 'Cross' ski and a carver? I ski almost entirely on piste but prefer the ones I'm on to the Omecarve by a long way - I found them easier to turn and very stable at speed (I tried a good number of skis before I found my current ones). If I decide to look for new skis this year (I did quite a bit of damage to mine last season), would the Volkl 5*s be similar? £250 is an awful lot less than the Skicross 10s were!
latest report
Perhaps you may want to look at the 6* or the volkl allstar or volkl superspeed. Gathering you have skicross 10 I think a 5* may not be enough for you. Though bear in mind I am quite limited in my knowledge.

Skiercross 10 (techsupportforskiers.com)"Returns as a great all purpose-but-mostly-oriented-to-the-groomed power tool for strong skiers. The 9 is more relaxing; this is a rock-solid, high-speed groomer tool. Superb ice powers. Try before you buy! "

The cross skis first game about for the X-games in which they were used. A skiercross event is like a track with steep turns, hops , jumps etc. The salomon crossmax is the most well-known cross-ski. Though these have been dropped for the salomon 06 line-up.

Have a look at the fischer rx8 and rx9. Try atomic sx11 and sxb5 also. for more of a true cross ski. Cross skis seem to have greater turning radius than the majority of Carvers at the minute.
ski holidays
ben wright wrote:
Quote:

It could be that you are in the backseat and/or start your turns later. Try starting the new turn as quick as possible, making sure the weight is on the balls of your feet and not your heels.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 31-08-05 11:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
waitingforwinter, nice description, yes, that's it.
Snowy, does WFW's description help?

Alastair, apologies, I was working from memory on the Dynastars - it is the Omecarve. When I looked at the 2004 SkiCross, they see to be pitching them more as an "all-mountian" ski.

Normally the difference for a cross ski and the others is the radius - The cross falls between a Slalom and a GS ski.
ski holidays
Edmundh009, Wear The Fox Hat, thanks. I won't rush out for the cheap 5*s but wait until I get to resort and try a few.
latest report
Sorry I was wrong about the salomon Crossmax. they just are not advertising them to uk buyers. Salomon have the new crossmax v12.
ski holidays
I'm a big fan of the 5* (I used to own a pair) but I think the RX8 is the better but now.
ski holidays
whats a gs ski ?
ski holidays
Royal, Giant slalom
latest report
roger !
snow conditions
Are the Volkl 5* and the Fischer RX-8 considered skier cross skis? How do skier cross skis perform on moguls when compared to slalom skis?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
slikedges, yes they are.

I've not compared in the bumps, but my guess would be that the cross ski's would be easier to handle.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy