Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First time to Tignes in Janurary...

Poster: A snowHead
We're heading to Tignes this year for the first time, staying in Val Claret. We normaly head to Meribel but fancied a change this year. We're all good skiiers and I'm looking for all your recommended runs... and bars. Go!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sache black from the top of l'aguille perce all the way down to breviers
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can we add Val D'Isere to this as well as we're heading to Espace Killy for the first time this season as well. Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Take more clothes than you think, at night Tignes is very cold, VC is above the level for altitude so you might observe sleep problems etc. Use the bus to get around can be quicker than skiing if heading over to places. Taxis stop around 9 in low season.

On the positive side runs in Espace to enjoy, Col de Ves, des Campanules, Spatule, Banana, Cugnai, Super L, Super S, S, Le Pays Desert, L, Vallee Perdue, Le Tour Du Charvet, Face du Charvet, La Familiale, the Vallons and my favourite Le Lievre Blanc await. These are good strong skier pitches; there are many beyond involving a bit of a hike and expert ability also available. Always take a shovel, Arva and probe, for all these check avalanche level and flags.

I'll be there same time lets hope there is enough snow to enjoy the best OP lift skiing in Europe.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
'... VC is above the level for altitude so you might observe sleep problems etc'

What is the level for being affected by altitude?? I was in Tignes the past 2 years, and did notice in Tignes VC that my sleep was disrupted which did affect my trip tbh. I ski a lot and slept perfectly in Tignes Les Brev which is lower and in most other resorts. Just wondering what the altitude is that most people feel it while sleeping so that I can try to ensure I'm staying below that in future???
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Is there anywhere that's *not* recommended?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
James the Last, Yeah, the airport coming home Sad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
horgand, If I remember it is 1850 6200’ for sleep and 8000' HMS, for 3V Les Menuires and above will affect sleep, Tignes le Lac is OK, Val d’ also. US high particularly Vail, Beaver Creek, especially Copper and Breckenridge.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Trolles and The Face. Both much easier than everyone will make out they really are. Go for it.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Monium wrote:
Trolles and The Face. Both much easier than everyone will make out they really are. Go for it.

Two extremely good shouts for steep and fast. Foret is very cool and very hard if the bumps have been (tight between the trees at the bottom so no traversing Cool ), the runs from the Grande Motte are really nice, good view from the top. Sache is good, can get mogully and slushy near the bottom depending on the conditions, but slushy bumps are fun no?

And of course FOLIE!!!!!! Folie Douce is amazing.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
But yeah, its all about Face, probably my favourite run ever - nice start through a wide gully, then the final section is steep enough to be challenging and exciting, but wide enough to go fast and avoid people, amazing view down to the village and great position to end/watch others, right in village centre.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
When you get to the point where you've skied hard all week so far, and just need a few easy runs, there's a lovely collection of rollercoaster blues and greens off the top of the Borsat Express lift. Bit crap for boarders as a few flat bits though.

Oh, and do believe any "piste difficile: bons skieurs" type signs. They really DO mean it in Espace Killy, as one of our group found to his cost last year... rolling eyes

Double M run (red) is really nice, but there are some lovely runs from the Grand Motte all the way back to Val Claret.

It can get properly F-cold in Espace Killy, so take lots of layers, and a decent facemask of some variety. The Leissieres Express lift can be particularly evil (as well as bloody scary - it's an 'up and over' so not great if you don't like heights) if the wind's strong.

Trolles back into Lac is great fun.

Enjoy Smile

Mrs M.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Face gets a bit icy and steep near the bottom of the run (at below the piste markers numbered 2 or 3) . Stop off for a drink at the cafe half way down Face, you will need it. Up until that point it is a fairly easy black.

At the end of the day, some runs are very narrow and get clogged up with people, particularly blues going into Val d'Isere (like piste "L"). Piste "M" is not much better as it gets clogged up with people, and can get icy too in parts. Tignes is better in that all the runs in to Val Claret will be fairly well pisted, with snow cannons, are wide, and there is not much congestion.

The off piste is quite good over at Le Fornet. Take the chair lift over to Le Fornet "Leissieres Express"; It is quite hairy!

rolling eyes

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 7-12-11 19:49; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Monium wrote:

Agree, the first time we skiied that way we did a red and blue from Tignes side down to the far side of VD to avoid the Face.
It was bloody awfull. I cant find the name of it on the pist map but we stayed to the right from the top of the Face and the piste we ended up on
was very busy and after a less enjoyable ride down a narrow pipe the piste levels off to a long flat road into Val'. I had been
warned of this so I managed to keep some speed and made it all the way into town, loads dont. We didnt go that way again.

The face is a great run, we spent a full morning on it, enjoy Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bigtipper, comming off the road on the Face it gets a bit steep, I remember just stopping there the first time and watching the carnage below as people where sliding down on their backsides. Laughing
ski holidays
Renry, Important to ski Face de Bellevarde without stopping to see if your summer training was up to scratch.
ski holidays
Renry, that could only be............SANTONS Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
latest report
Nick-o, as others have said. Do head across the area to the glacier above Le Fornet. Usually quieter over there at peak times and great skiing. Love the place and of to Val Claret on Friday ourselves.......good timing or what Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

Renry, that could only be............SANTONS Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Definitely Santons. I have special memories of Santons as it's where I broke my left fibula 3 years ago. I have skied it since then and I would have to say that early in the morning it can be rather pleasant. Mid afternoon when it's crowded with people trying to get back to town on a blue it can be a nightmare.

Over on the Tignes side can I put in a word for Mysotosis, off the top of the Aiguile Rouge lift. This red run tends to get the lightest of attention from the pisteurs and so can develop some very interesting bumps. IMO it's rather more challenging than Trolles - which is definitely a must-do if only so that you can show off on the final schuss that's right next to the nursery slope in Le Lac.
latest report
Bogusman, Yip Trolles isn't the run it used to be after they regraded the bottom half with all the spoil from the underground carpark - you really had to get a good lick on then to make it to the Levanna.
snow report
Bogusman wrote:
Quote:

Definitely Santons. I have special memories of Santons as it's where I broke my left fibula 3 years ago. I have skied it since then and I would have to say that early in the morning it can be rather pleasant. Mid afternoon when it's crowded with people trying to get back to town on a blue it can be a nightmare.

The evil ice monster of Santons also claimed one of my ribs! Hate that run with a passion Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy