Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiiing from Plagne Centre to Les Arcs

Poster: A snowHead
I'm after advice on the best route for a relative beginner (fourth ski trip coming up) to ski from Plagne Centre to the Vanoise Express.

OK on "Blues" but crap on anything too steep/narrow or with a cliff edge Embarassed
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lots of ways. Obvious one (from memory), up the Vega chair from Plagne Centre and the blue run (Les Arollees!) down to Plagne Bellecote, Arpette chair up to the col and then it is blue Mont Blanc down to the Vanoise. No cliffs, all easy if snow is good. Try and get over early before the rush.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How long do you reckon it will take a solid intermediate to ski from Belle Plagne to the Vanoise express? Also, how long do you reckon we would have to queue to get on it over new year? Oh and how long does the Vanoise take to reach the other side? Just trying to work out if it is something we can do in an afternoon without it being too rushed (we have lessons till 12pm each day.) sorry for all the questions! Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Baron101, You can get over in an afternoon but IMO it wouldn't be worth it - you wouldn't get very far into Les Arcs before having to turn around and come back again. Best make a day of it when you haven't got lessons to fully explore the other side of the valley.

And just a thought, but ask your instructor at the beginning of the week (and your fellow skiers) if there is a chance to combine two morning sessions into a full day in Les Arcs - you'll benefit from having a good guide that way too.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scampi Dellahanti, thanks for that, I'll give it a try and see if we can do that then
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Scampi Dellahanti wrote:
Baron101, You can get over in an afternoon but IMO it wouldn't be worth it - you wouldn't get very far into Les Arcs before having to turn around and come back again. Best make a day of it when you haven't got lessons to fully explore the other side of the valley.

Disagree with that, it can be worthwhile.....
Get over the VE, up Peisey then ski down, (foret past Derby) to the Transarc. If you hit the VE at LP at 1PM you could be at the top of the transarc by 2PM. From the top of the transarc you can make the VE with no lifts, you can as well from top of Arpette & Bois de L'ours. Be sure of the last time the VE returns and any other lists you need to get home.
We do the opposite, biggest mistake is to curtail our trip to LP and leave far too much time to get home.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
allanm, Thanks for that!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Having stayed next to the vanoise - i would recommend attempting it for a bit of a change

another option is to have a aword with you instructor, and arrange to complete your morning so you can stop at
the vanoise, nip over at lunchtime, and then ski a bit before stopping for lunch , that way you will get a long way across
miss out the queues as everyone has lunch, and then miss the lunch queues as you take a later lunch break.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It can be done easily, any of the suggested ways above, but we did it Feb this year, and unless you have a particular reason for doing it (like meeting someone) there really is no reason, it's a lot of sitting around in various forms, and the skiing is no different, or not for someone at your level. Why waste 2 hours sitting on chair lifts etc when you could be improving your skiing in LP?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
stew72 wrote:
It can be done easily, any of the suggested ways above, but we did it Feb this year, and unless you have a particular reason for doing it (like meeting someone) there really is no reason, it's a lot of sitting around in various forms, and the skiing is no different, or not for someone at your level.

It's nice to see a different resort and they are quite different (to my way of thinking) - Generally Les Arcs is a ridge on which one side is the 1600/1800/Peisey-Vallandry resorts and 'over the top' is the 2000 bowl. La plagne is made up of little villages a bit more dotted around the mountain, and therefore you ski more 'to a village' and hence it feels a little more spread out.

welshskier wrote:
Lots of ways. Obvious one (from memory), up the Vega chair from Plagne Centre and the blue run (Les Arollees!) down to Plagne Bellecote, Arpette chair up to the col and then it is blue Mont Blanc down to the Vanoise. No cliffs, all easy if snow is good. Try and get over early before the rush.

You missed out the bit about taking the 'rope tow' which you drop down too after coming off the arpette chair. Look down and slightly to your left and where you see the straight-line human snake, head for it - it helps to take a lot of pace as it's slightly uphill towards the tow.

Baron101, You won't know whether YOU think it's worth if for an afternoon unless you give it a go. Although much as I like skiing in both resorts I possibly woulldn't bother if you're going over one of the 'peakest' weeks of the season
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
welshskier wrote:

The "Vega" chair has been gone for a few years but I'm OK getting to Bellecote.

Its the route from the top of the Arpette to the VE that I'm looking for info on (also, getting back to the the top of the Arpette on the return looks a bit complicated)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stew72 wrote:
It can be done easily, any of the suggested ways above, but we did it Feb this year, and unless you have a particular reason for doing it (like meeting someone) there really is no reason, it's a lot of sitting around in various forms, and the skiing is no different, or not for someone at your level. Why waste 2 hours sitting on chair lifts etc when you could be improving your skiing in LP?

I really just fancy a go on the VE
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks to everyone for their input. Will deffinately give it a try as we have area lift passes so feel we should at least get over there at some point. I'll try asking the instructor if we can do a double session over there (assuming the other people in the group have area lift passes and are keen as well.) Failing that we'll just have to shoot off at 12pm and so how much we can do.

I've been to La Plagne twice before and picked the resort as I thought it would be good for my girlfriend who hasn't skiied for a while. I'd really like to see some of Les Arcs to compare them.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ukredsox wrote:
welshskier wrote:

The "Vega" chair has been gone for a few years but I'm OK getting to Bellecote.

Its the route from the top of the Arpette to the VE that I'm looking for info on (also, getting back to the the top of the Arpette on the return looks a bit complicated)

From the top of the arpetter, take the rope tow I mention above at the end of that ski straight on and follow the piste "Mont Blanc" - after a while you should see signs to 'les arcs' follow them. If you end-up in Montchavin, then no drama; take the lift up and try again.

For the return - different options - but the one I use is to go 'across' on exiting the VE (rather than down to monchavin) and pickup the Lac Noir bubble out of les coches, at the top it's a 300m ski down to Bijolin and at the top go forwards and down to pick up the first chair on the right "salla" and you're back to be able to ski into Bellecote. if you're staying in plagne centre, the cheeky drag out of bellecote 'colosses' gets the least queues but has a bit of a big right turn in it.

The runs under the arpette lift and the mont blanc or pierre 'blanches' are great 'improver' blues - why not ski that area a day or two before 'going over' so that you're a little more familiar with the runs

Enjoy...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bertie bassett wrote:

The runs under the arpette lift and the mont blanc or pierre 'blanches' are great 'improver' blues - why not ski that area a day or two before 'going over' so that you're a little more familiar with the runs

Enjoy...

That's a very good suggestion
latest report
I've done this before and when I did it I'd probably only been skiing for four years. Was easy enough, blues down to the Vanoise Express, waited five minutes for the cable cars and it takes less than 10 minutes I think to get to the other side. Then a chair at Plan Peisey and then a blue run to the bottom of the TransArcs cable car. From the top of the cablecar there is an easy red or a blue down to Les Arcs 2000. So once you're at the Plan Peisey side its only a chair, a run, a cable car and another run to Les Arcs.

On the way back you can ski to 1950, then take a chair up slightly and then ski on blues all the way back to Plan Peisey. I stayed in Plan Peisey before and did this frequently, can get from Les Arcs to Plan Peisey in approx 20minutes. You just need to make sure you don't head down the wrong blue and end up in Vallandray as then you have to get another chair up to get back to Plan Peisey. I really like the Les Arcs side. Its where I learned to ski red runs and they're all nice and wide and not too steep.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy