Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: La Clusaz / Grand Bornand 2011/12

Poster: A snowHead
According to this http://twitter.com/#!/Wendy_Hollands/statuses/144346936764399616

Clusaz is opening the La Balme sector this weekend.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 16-01-12 10:01; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Opening the Maroly sector at Le Grand Bornand this weekend - looks gorgeous today
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Balme, Croix Fry and Medassier open in La Clusaz, Maroly, Tolar and Chinallion open in Grand Bo.

Nice day. Already been out for a ski tour. Pistes are firm and looking good, off piste a bit crusty right now. As starts to a season go, it looks positive Wink

The rest of the team have just headed out and left me to man the phones, boo.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Official report is in from the guys who went to Grand Bo today:

25% of resort open today. Coverage good on pistes, a few twigs poking through lower down on less well bashed pistes. Snow quality above 1500 excellent on and off piste. Slightly rain crusted and grabby below 1500. Looks like there is a good base settled ready to build on with the next snow fall (due next week by the looks of it).

winter is on! Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
6 of us are booked to come out to Grand Bornand on the 21st Jan, webcams are looking good at the moment with plenty in the town.

Hopefully a nice base is being built up and that home run down to the town will be in good condition come our trip

Spent 4 days there in January this year and got very very lucky, was patchy when we arrived on the 10th but we then got a dump of about 20-30cm overnight which was extremely lucky

Interested to hear more on the apparent night ski-ing thats available on a Tuesday night
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
More snow all day today. Excellent skiing apart from the visibility due to the snow. Bailed out at 3pm and it's still snowing heavily.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
More overnight at Chinaillon - then clearer today we even had a couple of hours of sun this afternoon. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snowed pretty much all day yesterday and it's snowing still this morning. We have enough snow now. More than enough. I'd actually like it to stop now. wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Anyone (MazDave for example) know if the road up to La Clusaz is in a sensible condition at the moment? Also anyone (miranda?) know if the Col des Aravis is open?...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
paulio, yes it's open.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
miranda, ta. (It's currently my favourite local spot for just getting a beer and staring at Mont Blanc, and the M.I.L. is visiting at the moment so we want to take her somewhere cool, maybe on Xmas Eve Smile)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It is lovely - summer and winter. If you have time, drop into our place for a drink if you fancy - it's literally a few minutes down from the top. The mayhem doesn't kick off for us until Boxing Day this year so if you drop us a text on the number on our website, we'll be around and shouldn't be too busy.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Smile thanks.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All the roads around are clear as we had quite a bit of rain yesterday, well it made a change from snow I suppose. Looks like a properly sunny day today though Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spent a couple of hours at Clusaz today. Quite snowy on the drive up this morning, lots of pistes feel quite off-pistey due to lots (lots!) of snow, making a very variable surface underfoot. Quite good fun, but I'm not sure I'd want to be a near-beginner on the blue run under the Praz chair for example... The weather started to clear and look rather lovely. Just as we were leaving. D'oh.

Also: I would like to publicly retract any prior bravado I may have displayed on the subject of 'black runs' because we went down La Noire and - er - wished we hadn't for most of it. What an absolute goshdarned motherhubbard. Trouser-filling stuff. Do not want.
snow report
Another beautiful day today - unfortunatley our last for this trip. Snow's holding up really well - overnght temps are nice and low - some icy patches due to the rain a few days ago but no shortage of the white stuff.

Nice to meet up with loatie today and put faces to names, enjoy the rest of your holiday! Very Happy
latest report
MazDave wrote:
Another beautiful day today

+1

Down from the top of the Aiguille was about as good a day of (piste) skiing as I've ever had. Got a bit choppy in the afternoon, but late morning was sweet. Weather couldn't have been better. Underfoot was fine, although it was a bit icy here and there. Glad I took skis and not a board.

It all looked a bit like this:

ski holidays
Slogged over to La Balme today (and it really is quite a slog from the main bit of Clusaz).

Worth it though. Smile

Great snow again, especially if you followed the sun. There were occasional man-made/icy spots if you found some shade, even at lunchtime. Slightly slushy on the really sun exposed parts, almost spring-like slush here and there even, but great great great skiing generally. If only this place had better bloody lifts!
latest report
Also to anyone day-tripping this week, I suggest you set off *early*.

Car parks are all full by about 9:30 - we were queuing from before Thones this morning.
snow conditions
And another stunning day up there. No photos today, but simply look at yesterday's or the day before's for an idea...

Snow is holding up really well, considering that it's really got *quite busy* up there. The runs top to bottom from both L'Aiguille and Belvedere are in perfect nick - just varied enough to be interesting, but not sloughed up or icy enough to be particularly intimidating. Absolutely spot on for my tastes anyway.

Word of warning to anyone using the town car parks: Our covered parking in the town centre insisted 'COMPLET' on the signs outside, and the barriers were not letting cars in. Yet as I was pootling around on my way out of it I drove past literally dozens of empty spaces. Anyone allowed in could have parked in a spot of their choosing within 3 minutes. Meanwhile, people being forced to park at the side of the main road just outside the entrance to the town. Not cool.
snow report
Quote:

Car parks are all full by about 9:30

I've noticed more local-plated cars in the car parks the last couple of days than I've ever seen around here. The incredible combination of perfect snow and wall to wall sunshine is flushing out the day-trippers. wink
latest report
The selfish bastards!
ski holidays
Err OK, so I know this is a snow report thread but we plan on doing an extensive survey of every Grand Bornand (& maybe La Clusaz) piste side eatery when we get out there in 3 weeks or so. Can any of you offer some personal recommendations? To kick off I can heartily endorse "Les Outalays'" foray into nouvelle cuisine Savoyard style from last year - the "crepeflette".
snow conditions
Best all round for me has to be the Chalet du Maroly - three lifts rise from just outside up to Terres Rouge and Tolar. Quicheflette is my particular favourite Madeye-Smiley

http://fr-fr.facebook.com/pages/LE-CHALET-DU-MAROLY/204659956266761
ski holidays
As of yesterday conditions still holding up extremely well especially if you followed the sun to take advantage of softening pistes. Some off piste spots were lovely. Fabulous run of blue sky days. Great to meet up with you and your family too MazDave,

gvj, La Taverne is in a beautiful spot if you don't mind accepting that 'Madame' may take a while to get to you to take your order! Plus side is not having to go downstairs to loo!
latest report
Thanks for the tips guys - counting the days....
ski holidays
snowing hard again! 15cm in the village already this morning, looks set to continue. Our ski hosts are out on the slopes right now while I look wistfully out the window. Will come back with their full report this afternoon.
ski holidays
Snow report is in- the guys skied in Grand Bo today. The top lift (lachat) was shut for high winds, but plenty of fluffy snow everywhere else. Visibility poor, but hey it was snowing, what do you expect! Looks like more snow on the way tonight.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Forecast is for a temporary break in the cloud and precipitation tomorrow...

I suppose I could be persuaded to pop up to check it out. Even though my skis are away for a service at the moment, so I'll look like even more of a fairweather punter with rental garbage on my feet. It's a hard life.
snow conditions
Drove up this morning in the grey, depressing rain. Bought a half-day lift pass against our better judgement. Boarded the bubble lift...

Cloud cleared, lovely Smile

Snow was a bit heavy. OK, VERY heavy, like skiing through a meringue. Off piste was a fool's errand.

I took some pictures but they're all rubbish. This is the best of a bad bunch, and badly over-processed as well. Sorry about that.

ski holidays
*What a difference a day makes*
*24 little hours*

Jan 1st vs Jan 2nd

latest report
paulio, it's incredible how much they've built in such a short time! Shocked
latest report
Haha. In case it's not clear, the little hut cafe in the centre of the top image is at the far left of the bottom image. Top one was taken by my own fair hand, bottom one is the webcam, so they're not from exactly the same spot NehNeh
snow report
nozawaonsen, Laughing
ski holidays
nozawaonsen, and all the cars got buried Toofy Grin
snow report
Good conditions today at Chinaillon - blue skies and some soft snow.. Pistes in good nick (though bit firm in the pm), Freeride area & Lachat black both firm (big icey sheet near top of Freeride) at entry but lots of powder to be had lower down. Was actually surprised at the quality of the pow lower down in resort (though the funky rained on layers underneath make life interesting at times). Cover right down to valley bottom so South side runs could be good as & when they transform.
latest report
Ski host report from yesterday in La Clusaz...30 cm of fresh snow on Aguille and Etale; 15-20cm on other pistes. All lifts and pistes open, a really good day out on the slopes!

oh, and its dumping again right now. This is turning out to be quite the season!
ski holidays
Alex SWeekender,

+1 snowHead Christmas week was great and can't wait to be back on Saturday
latest report
loatie, are you timing these storms to coincide with your trips or what? If so could we please have another one around 16-19th Jan? Very Happy
snow conditions
gvj, wink Laughing Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy