Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
EdYarker wrote:
One question: do most of the mountainside restaurants accepts card payments? I’ve had mixed experiences elsewhere in the alps. Most do but I’ve been caught out on the odd occasion.
Ideally I’d rather not change into CH cash but I guess I will need some?

My wife and I were there for almost two weeks and the only time we needed cash was for a taxi ride. Everywhere else on the mountain and in town took cards/ApplePay.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks @Tom_Ski, that’s good to know. I will hold back in the forex stall.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A bit gloomy at Männlichen this morning, lots of kids.

It’s very mild. Well above freezing on the mountain, and a tropical +10C in the village. Snow coverage is good, but pistes are getting quite hard.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, we went over to Murren today. All quite busy on the cable cars due to Inferno skiers but the rest of the resort quiet.
Pleasantly surprised how well the snow is holding up despite the warm temperatures (yesterday was generally great around Wengen I thought).
May be a different story tomorrow as it’s been rainy since this afternoon. Sunshine in the forecast so hopefully another awesome day in store Eh oh!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not really a skiing photo, but I was pleased with this snap of the frost on the church spire in Lauterbrunnen being vaporised as the sun hit it at lunchtime today.

Although we had a brief frost last night, it’s still mild.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Beautiful shot @telford_mike, the iconic Lauterbrunnen image.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It’s been a fairly chaotic weekend, with hundreds of kids taking part in the International Schools ski races. They all left yesterday afternoon, so we were looking forward to a quiet morning at Männlichen. Not a chance - it was still very busy.

It’s been a beautiful day though, with sunshine and very mild temperatures. The freezing level this afternoon was reported to be 3300 metres Shocked

Pistes are ok if your edges are nicely tuned. Anywhere that’s narrow or steep (or both) quickly gets scraped and icy.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What Telford Mike says.
Männlichen runs were fine, as was Lauberhorn down to KS. Some others were very scraped with little or no snow to turn on, viz. Arven runs and the red run down to Grindelwald below Holenstein.
First visit since the new gondolas from Grindelwald. They’re lovely and v efficient but we noticed that they have really increased the volume of skiers
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Popped up to Kleine Scheidegg this morning. Once again pistes had good coverage, with a few hard patches here and there. Despite this it was easy enough to find a nice line. Not busy at all - no queues anywhere.

Temperature at Scheidegg (2061 metres) was well above freezing. In Wengen it’s currently +10C.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
So is that you tellying, Telford_Mike?

It's a really nice picture. Spring skiing temps!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Tom_Ski, I wish I could be so elegant. That picture was a fluke - the tele guy just skied into shot as I hit the button. Nice to see though.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oooof it’s quite green everywhere. For the regulars. Which areas are decent at the moment? Just got here
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
21 tschuggen lapped off arven lift and lauberhorn were best when we were there last year on similar conditions, 21 is run mike is on on his picture, avoid honegg and seeli in the afternoon. Im sure the regulars will be along to provide better more current advice.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Legendarry, Kleine Scheidegg has been less busy than Männlichen this week. Best snow on Lauberhorn and Arven. Needless to say it gets a bit more sketchy the lower you go - wouldn’t recommend skiing down to Grund.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Must contradict you there @telford_mike, we went Brandegg Grund late morning yesterday the piste was as good as anything in the area. Bonus being, nobody else skiing down.......the exception being a curious "dho" race starting halfway down 22 and a finish line 150 m above Brandegg restaurant.
For information @Legendarry, we are finding piste conditions over at First, consistently good.
Oberjoch gets a little busy as it is high and sunny but all other pistes are virtually as good.
snow report
Rogerdodger wrote:
Must contradict you there @telford_mike, we went Brandegg Grund late morning yesterday the piste was as good as anything in the area. Bonus being, nobody else skiing down.......the exception being a curious "dho" race starting halfway down 22 and a finish line 150 m above Brandegg restaurant.
For information @Legendarry, we are finding piste conditions over at First, consistently good.
Oberjoch gets a little busy as it is high and sunny but all other pistes are virtually as good.

Ah, that’s good news about the route down from Brandegg. The reason you were held up by the DHO race (MacMillan Cup), was that it was relocated from its usual course (the former ladies downhill start hut to Aspen), owing to lack of snow - hence my caution about skiing down there. Have to agree that on the whole, given the paltry amounts of snow we've had in January, things are pretty good!
latest report
Saturday update on conditions. My Grindelwald mate was eager to put skins on so we duly obliged.
From the First area we dropped down into the walking/ toboggan area and then skinned towards Faulhorn. Plenty of ski tourers about but there is a vast amount of terrain over there.
We found exceptional snow on east and north east facing slopes, quite beyond our expectations.
Remarkably good base, we are just waiting for the big dump now.
snow report
Good skiing in the sunshine up at Kleine Scheidegg this morning. It's busy, but not (yet) crazy. We waited maybe 2 minutes for the Wixi chair, but other than that there were few queues, Lauberhorn chair being the exception each time the trains pull in. Snow is granular on a hard base, but there’s plenty of it. The weather forecast was bang-on, and it clouded over a bit at lunchtime, but all in all the skiing is very enjoyable. It felt very mild at Scheidegg, but in Wengen at the moment it’s +6C, which is a few degrees colder than the afternoons have been lately.
latest report
I shall say repeat @telford_mike, for the Grindelwald : First area.
Although we did think perhaps they hadn't paid the electric bill as the lifts kept stopping!
ski holidays
A little snow in Wengen this morning.

British snow however, and it was gone at village level by lunchtime. More at Kleine Scheidegg though, with improved piste conditions.
snow report
@telford_mike, looks beautiful.
Asking for a good friend who will arrive to Wengen this weekend, what are the chances of real snow (instead of projected rain) at Wengen's altitude?
ski holidays
@drporat, Probably nil. There will be some precipitation on Friday evening, but it looks like rain in the village. Higher up of course it should snow.

Today was the best day of the week so far, with colder temperatures and unbroken sunshine.

It’s obviously busy with the school holidays, but many of the visitors are families with kids, so you can still get a seat at your favourite bar, or a table at your chosen restaurant provided you book ahead.
snow report
Great photos, @telford_mike. I don’t suppose you know of any Wengen bars that serve decent Helles or Weißbier? Very Happy
ski holidays
@Orwell, Weißbier is the easy one - you can get it everywhere. Usually it will be Schneider Weiss in 500ml bottles, but the Crystal bar have it on tap, and it’s fantastic. You may also be offered Erdinger or Münchner HB, and there are a couple of decent Swiss ones - Edelweiss and Jungfrau Weizen.

Decent Helles is more difficult to find, as the Swiss beers dominate the 'lager' market. However, at the bar in the Alpine Hotel (live music Sundays and Wednesdays) you can find Augustiner Landbier helles. It’s not on the menu, but you can ask for it and it’s very good.
ski holidays
@telford_mike, fantastic, thank you. I’ll definitely head to Crystal bar. Is the Augustiner on tap at the Alpine?
latest report
@Orwell, 500ml bottles.
latest report
@telford_mike, thank you!
snow conditions
Anyone got any idea where the cheapest ski hire place is around the area? One of my friends is coming along this year and needs to hire skis and boots Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Deedee, In Wengen, it will either be Ski Set:

https://www.skihirewengen.com/

Or Central Sport:

https://www.centralsport.ch/de/

You can compare the prices on their websites. Where is your pal staying?
snow report
Thanks Mike. We`re staying in Interlaken
snow conditions
The alpinresorts website looks like the cheapest i've seen to book
latest report
@Deedee, not come across them, but perhaps you could report back which shop the gear actually comes from?

It’s been a warm day in Wengen - about +13C at lunchtime according to the thermometer outside our kitchen window. Miraculously however, the home run is still open all the way back to the village and the cable car.

Mrs t_m was working up at Scheidegg this morning, it was 'only' about +9C up there. She managed to ski her class of 5 year-olds down to Brandegg though, so things are still ok, in the mornings at least.
snow conditions
telford_mike wrote:
@Deedee, not come across them, but perhaps you could report back which shop the gear actually comes from?

It’s been a warm day in Wengen - about +13C at lunchtime according to the thermometer outside our kitchen window. Miraculously however, the home run is still open all the way back to the village and the cable car.

Mrs t_m was working up at Scheidegg this morning, it was 'only' about +9C up there. She managed to ski her class of 5 year-olds down to Brandegg though, so things are still ok, in the mornings at least.

Is the run down to Brandeggstrasse weirdly icey even at lunch time even as the rest of the area had become slightly slushy, as it was a few weeks ago when we were there?
snow report
@EdYarker, No ice today.
latest report
telford_mike wrote:

The 3 shops are Bernet sports in Grindelwald, Grindelwald sports and Outdoor sports in Interlaken
snow report
Deedee wrote:
telford_mike wrote:

The 3 shops are Bernet sports in Grindelwald, Grindelwald sports and Outdoor sports in Interlaken

Thanks. I was sitting in the Barracuda bar in Matten the other day, watching people go in and out of the Outdoor rental shop. It’s huge!
ski holidays
@telford_mike, I see that Sunstar no longer have a hotel in Wengen. Have stayed there several times and really like it. Do you know what happened?
snow report
@DCG, It was sold a couple of seasons ago, and it’s now called the Alpine Hotel.

https://en.alpinehotelwengen.com/

The good news is that it’s exactly the same as it used to be. Apparently they’re having a major refurbishment this summer though.
snow conditions
Another bright & mild day, lunchtime temperature in Wengen +13C again, freezing level reported to be about 2800 metres. Busy. Looking up Wixi after lunch:

No queue at the bottom though, as many skiers were turning right after the bridge to head back towards Wengen.

This week's guests will mostly be leaving tomorrow morning. Advance equipment rentals suggest another busy week to come.
snow conditions
telford_mike wrote:
@DCG, It was sold a couple of seasons ago, and it’s now called the Alpine Hotel.

https://en.alpinehotelwengen.com/

The good news is that it’s exactly the same as it used to be. Apparently they’re having a major refurbishment this summer though.

Thanks for that. I'm coming in a few weeks time with SCGB and I think we might be staying there
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy