Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
mr_scratchy_esq wrote:

Re: Männlichen to Terminal - isn't the direct route closed from Holenstein down?

I was in Wengen over the New Year and the run down from Männlichen was closed below Holenstein, it obviously depends on the particular snow conditions. However absolutely not a problem in getting across to Grindelwald First if it should be closed below Holenstein, just get on a gondola at Holenstein and download to Terminal, then get a bus directly from Terminal to First. Easy peasy. Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@EdYarker, the Inferno route is mostly very obvious, the pisteurs cut a high traverse in the Engetal which is probably roped off to save it for the race. The piste however is just lower in the valley so you ski the same line and gradient. The wood cutters path below the Hogs back will be marked. At the moment I don't know where the finish is going to be. This may well be on the Inferno website.
If the run is into Winteregg there is a little uphill section across a piste then down a small valley which is usually used as a road for piste machines.
There will be plenty of skiers out practicing, they will be on 210 skis so you won't mistake them!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mr_scratchy_esq wrote:

Any sledging runs that you would especially recommend? We are planning on taking at least one full day out of our 6 to do the Faulhorn run and whatever else we can fit in.

Hey there Mr Scratchy…just back from a sledging adventure over in GW. While the Eiger run is perhaps more iconic in terms of name recognition, it is in shade in the morning, and so if you’d prefer to do this in sun (which I would recommend), I’d go with the GW First-Waldspitz-Bort run, or for a longer run with 2 hours of very uphill hiking, there’s the Faulhorn run. Either way, you’ll want an early start - we got on an 8:30 train in Lauterbrunnen and it took us 1.5 hrs to get onto the run. It’s another 1.5 - 2 hrs from there to get to the Waldspitz, a small mountainside chalet facing the Eiger and up the valley with spectacular views. We stopped for lunch there. Fantastic.

The sledging on this whole route has some challenging sections, steep, with switchback turns at the end of descents. My wife and I both came off our sleds once each after overcooking a switchback, and ended up briefly going backwards as we tumbled off our sleds at low speed. Unfortunately, I also had a somewhat higher speed get-off on a straightaway (of all places rolling eyes ) on a pretty section through the woods. I lost focus for a second and started heading toward the wall on the left, which was covered in light deep snow. I instinctively raised my left leg with my foot out to deflect the wall, and was promptly spun off my sled hard onto the run with a nasty twisting wrench of my knee. Also hit my head. Recommend wearing ski helmet and goggles if you’re going to allow yourself the fun of some speed.

Lesson learned: steer with your feet and your hands; and keep your feet’s on the runners - not raised, except for both feet down braking. Practice this on the bunny hill magic carpet run at Bort station before heading up for the real run. Well - that’s my $0.02, anyways, fwiw.

Now waiting to see what things feel like tomorrow before determining whether skiing is on or off for a time. Confused Sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PS - you can rent a sled at Intersport Graf in GW and return it to Wengen. Doing this allows you to get back to Bort, download the gondola, and catch a train to Kleine Scheidegg. Then you can do the sled run all the way down to Wengen, where you can return your sled. Not all the Intersports are the same, so be sure to confirm that it’s ok to do this.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Tom_Ski, thank you for all the info.

How long was the hike from First to the start of 51 down to Waldspitz? I'd really like to try to get all 3 of the open runs in over there and return to Wengen on the Fox Run.

I thought about taking Männlichen in the morning w/ sleds and making descent from Holenstein on gondola if the trail is still closed to Grindelwald - but maybe it'd be better to get early train from Wengen to get to First as early as possible...

We all have some previous sledding experience in Italy and Austria but I agree that it is still probably more dangerous than piste skiing all things considered. I've had some crashes but nothing serious Smile I hope your knee is OK.

I am a amateur photographer and really looking forward to getting some shots in these more remote locations along the sledding trails away from the lifts
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
First to Waldspitz via 51 took my wife about 2 hours walking when she did it a couple days ago including short stop at the First view walk to have a look and taking pictures along the way. We were planning on doing what you’re describing on our sleds yesterday, but my little sledging crash derailed our plans. If you were going to do it walking, not sure how long that big loop would take.

FYI, you could go by regular skis and catch almost everything we saw hiking/sledging from First back to Bort - just one short section in the trees that is a hiking/sledging only trail. The big views, though, are literally the same.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I am looking at a short break in February with 4 days skiing for me and two of my lads. (1 child, 1 junior) I have previously used the Snow n Rail SBB discounts, but this year it looks like we are going to drive and stay in Lauterbrunnen and also the SBB is for 6 day passes only.

I was looking to see if there were any discounts available on lift passes and came across swisspasses.com . This seemed to offer a discount, but we will be booking accommodation separately so I am not sure if works. Can I ask if anyone knows of routes to lift pass discounts or has used swisspasses.com? (Their website looks v v dated...)

Many thanks in advance. (apologies if this is covered previously!)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Richie456, you said you were going to be staying in Lauterbrunnen but from your post it looks like you haven't booked your accommodation yet? In which case you might want to consider the Winterlaken deal. https://www.interlaken.ch/en/planning/package-deals/winterlaken-ski-lodge

It's run by Interlaken tourism and if you stay in accommodation on their list of participating hotels you get a free Jungfrau region skipass included. Note that as well as accommodation in Interlaken there are a couple of participating hotels in Wilderswil.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Richie456, there's been a great deal in Interlaken for the last couple of seasons called the Winterlaken Card, which unfortunately no longer exists in the same form.

The only record I could still find of how it worked last year was this specific hotel's site: LINK

The town's offer now appears to be Winterlaken Ski & Lodge: LINK

However, I suspect that won't be as appealing to you with two kids in tow, as much as the old offer was to me (a solo snowboarder who doesn't mind a daily commute to the slopes and the opportunity to visit three different areas on consecutive days).

So, this post is probably of no use whatsoever... but figured I'd share it anyway. Good Luck!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you @Alastair Pink and @jebroni_16 I will look into the Winterlarken deal as we do not mind the commute.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A bit more info: https://www.interlaken.ch/planen/pauschalangebote/pauschalen-suchen-und-buchen/spezialangebote/GRI/22071245-e2b0-40b1-bc3b-6cd1992b286c/winterlaken-ski---lodge

Doing a quick check it looks like there are two hotels in Wilderswil participating in the scheme.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Some much needed fresh snow, only a heavy dusting but Winteregg this morning was quite exceptional.
Much more snow required but pistes in remarkably good shape at the moment.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Richie456, when you said you were going to drive, I assumed you meant from the UK, but did you actually mean from the airport?

Wilderswil would be a little less of a commute each day than Interlaken and I suspect parking there would be easier too, wherever you were driving from.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What’s the conditions like for skiing? Thinking of a quick trip to visit for a few days. But if it’s not great I’ll just go to Austria.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Legendarry, what dates are you considering ? Pistes are very good at the moment as I commented above. We have a nasty forecast for rain to very high altitude but that is immediately followed by snow too much lower elevations.
Overall piste conditions should probably improve.
snow report
Aiming for end of January. Still some time. But just putting feelers out.
ski holidays
Next month I will be looking to fly to either Basel or Zurich and then get the train to Lauterbrunnen.
I recall that (many?) years ago there was a better train ticket to get - is that still the case?
And if so, what is it please!
snow report
@Ray Zorro, there used to be a ticket you could buy in the UK which would get you from Swiss airport to destination and then back again but I don't think it exists any more. "Swiss Transfer Ticket" it was called. Your best bet is probably getting the SBB app I suspect.
ski holidays
Thanks - that sounds like the one I was thinking of!
ski holidays
@Ray Zorro, yes it was called the Swiss Transfer Ticket as @jonm said, but is no longer available. These days I use the Saver Day Pass which you can buy online up to 6 months before your date of travel. If you buy it early it costs 52CHF without a half fare card and is totally flexible which trains you use on the day, so useful if your flight should be delayed. It's valid from any Swiss airport, includes the bus from Basel airport to Basel station if you should be flying into Basel and covers you to any Swiss station including the mountain railways to Wengen or Mürren from Lauterbrunnen. So in fact two Saver Day passes actually work out a bit cheaper than the old Swiss Transfer Ticket. Very Happy https://www.sbb.ch/en/tickets-offers/tickets/day-passes/saver-day-pass.html
snow conditions
@Alastair Pink, thanks.
But the SBB app gives a fare of about 30CHF from Basel to Lauters so not sure how that saver day pass would be of benefit?
latest report
Ray Zorro wrote:
@Alastair Pink, thanks.
But the SBB app gives a fare of about 30CHF from Basel to Lauters so not sure how that saver day pass would be of benefit?

I think those prices you are quoting are for the Supersaver ticket with a Half Price Travelcard, and is only valid for the particular time train booked. Do you have a Swiss Half Price Travelcard?

"The Supersaver ticket selected is issued for a specific train (no refund or exchange). Choose the Point-to-Point Ticket for flexible travel."
snow conditions
Ah - OK, I think I need to look into this more closely then - thanks!
latest report
Delighted so many are discussing travel plans to the area. I shall delight you all with hot news from today. Three of us are resident here during the winter. We currently have a friend over for 10 days,
today was a very short ski tour.
Across to Grindelwald First and up through the lifts. Yesterday we had a little fresh snow coupled with some strong wind. We were all hoping to find some nice pockets of fresh snow.
Initially the findings were very very depressing, the strong wind had scoured everything and we were not happy! The far end of First has 2 old t bars.... we struck gold! Huge expanse of untracked powder, far better than we anticipated.
Skins on and a gentle 40 min walk up onto Grösse Scheidegg. Once again wind blown sastrugi not what we wanted!! Dropping approximately 30m off the ridge we struck gold again!
Beautiful untracked powder for nearly 3km of skiing down to the Wetterhorn Hotel.
The beer tasted absolutely fantastic.
snow report
Last time I was in Wengen, the queues for the bubble from Grindelwald to First were massive. It was half term week, but these were the only big queues we encountered all trip.

Is this a common problem or were we unlucky? I am assuming with the growth of Grindelwald and it being the only route up that side it is a pinch point, but on that occasion they had zig zag queues through the rear parking area and back down to the front entrance.
latest report
Hi, it's been a while!
Heading to Grindelwald in Feb half term, first time skiing since Feb 2020, just before covid struck.

First time with my boys, 7 and 9. Has anyone used the ski schools in Grindelwald? It's their first time- will be complete newbies.
Excited and slightly nervous for them, but I'm sure they'll love it.
ski holidays
eddyr wrote:
Hi, it's been a while!
Heading to Grindelwald in Feb half term, first time skiing since Feb 2020, just before covid struck.

First time with my boys, 7 and 9. Has anyone used the ski schools in Grindelwald? It's their first time- will be complete newbies.
Excited and slightly nervous for them, but I'm sure they'll love it.

For ski school in Grindelwald, Altitude are excellent. https://www.altitudeskischool.com/grindelwald/

Call manager Ben on +41338530040 or book online.

Full disclosure, Mrs t_m is one of their instructors.
latest report
We will be in Grindelwald next week and am looking for advice on 'budget' places to eat on mountain (at all 3 ski areas).
I know it isn't a cheap/budget friendly place to go for a holiday, but are there any on mountain cafes that aren't ridiculously priced? We aren't interested in a proper sit down meal/views from the restaurant/ambiance etc - we usually grab a quick bite to eat and get out skiing again - bowl of soup etc.
(Are there any mountain cafes that we should definitely avoid due to prices?)
I did read about a picnic room at First (Bort?). That would also work for us. Is there a picnic room on the mountain at Grindelwald or Murren?

Thanks.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skifun66 wrote:
We will be in Grindelwald next week and am looking for advice on 'budget' places to eat on mountain (at all 3 ski areas).
I know it isn't a cheap/budget friendly place to go for a holiday, but are there any on mountain cafes that aren't ridiculously priced? We aren't interested in a proper sit down meal/views from the restaurant/ambiance etc - we usually grab a quick bite to eat and get out skiing again - bowl of soup etc.
(Are there any mountain cafes that we should definitely avoid due to prices?)
I did read about a picnic room at First (Bort?). That would also work for us. Is there a picnic room on the mountain at Grindelwald or Murren?

Thanks.

Welcome to Snowheads! Picnic room in the gondola station at Männlichen, and inexpensive sandwiches available in the restaurant. A warming bowl of soup and bread is inexpensive everywhere. There are no really expensive on-mountain places in the area. Loaded fries at the Schreinerei at Eigergletscher are great, and it’s a lovely spot on a sunny day. https://cdn.jungfrau.ch/Gastro/Karte-Skibar-Schreinerei.pdf
latest report
Quote:
Picnic room in the gondola station at Männlichen

Thanks. Is that at the top station of the Männlichen gondola?
snow report
@Skifun66, yes. You can also eat a picnic lunch in the top station of the Wengen-Männlichen cable car.
ski holidays
I’m headed to Wengen for the first time in March, staying at Hotel Falken. We like our food, so I was wondering whether anybody can comment on the offering. We don’t mind eating out a few nights, but sadly GBPCHF really puts a damper on things.
snow report
@Orwell, it's a few years since I last stayed at the Falken, but back then the evening meals were fine. I think on the Friday evening they had a buffet which was very good.
snow conditions
Thanks @Alastair Pink. Looking forward to some Coop picnics again. Salad, Gruyère, chocolate, Weißbier. Couldn’t be better.
snow report
I would appreciate any guidance from regulars on the best driving route from Calais to Lauterbrunnen?

The route planners seem to vary between the A4 via Metz and Strasbourg and the N4 / N59 via Nancy both linking to the A35 via Basel. A previous response on here mentioned that a better option, albeit slightly longer is to head across to Germany at Strasbourg and travel down the A5. Thoughts?

I am assuming the borders remain fully "open" and there are no delays at this time?

Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
@Richie456, from Zeebrugge, only 40km up the coast from Calais we always drove through Belgium. Once clear of Brussels down to Luxembourg, buy some cheap fuel.
Then as you have mentioned Metz, Strasbourg down to Basel then across Switzerland.
Basel border/customs work office hours. We drove through two weeks ago around 1800 and they had all gone home.
ski holidays
@Rogerdodger, Thank you. We are taking the tunnel on this occasion, having started in the North West, and will be booking a stop in Metz.
snow conditions
We haven’t had any pictures for a while, so here are a couple from this afternoon in Wengen.

It’s very cold - minus 10 this morning and didn’t get above freezing all day.
snow conditions
Arriving tomorrow and excited that we should have a pretty good week ahead of us. Spent a couple days in Zurich and Bern and it was beautiful here covered in a few cm of snow.
latest report
Thanks for the pics @telford_mike, I’m there in a couple of days and would be delighted if it was like that!

I’m a little concerned that a mild spell has arrived now and there is some rain around later in the week.
Hopefully that will only be at village level with fresh snow further up…

One question: do most of the mountainside restaurants accepts card payments? I’ve had mixed experiences elsewhere in the alps. Most do but I’ve been caught out on the odd occasion.

Ideally I’d rather not change into CH cash but I guess I will need some?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy