Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
Great to see a snow top up and always nicer to a see a picture than just the words.. Under two weeks and I am mildly confident this trip might happen Toofy Grin

I was hoping France might drop the entry test requirement by now to make the journey easier, but seems they haven't so I best get on and order lateral flows for the outbound.

Another quick Jungfrau question - I would imagine on one of our days we'll head up the Jungfraujjoch train for a mooch around the top. Does one take up skis and boards with them and go up in boots or are there temporary lockers or ski stands to which we can lock kit too either at Kleine Shcheidegg or the top of the glacier express, whilst we go up to the top ?

Other than Brandegg for apple fritters - any other top recommendations for decent quality, reasonable value, mountain lunches out on the slopes ?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Gazzza, you would not want to be up at the Jungfraujoch in ski boots. There is a lot or walking about to do and trainers or boots would be my choice. On a sunny day you can walk out onto the glacier. They piste a track over to Monchsjochhutte but that's a good walk and you genuinely feel the altitude at 3500m.
Restaurants: Grindelwald Blick just above Kleine Scheidegg, also the Bahnhof at Kleine.
Not cheap but not ridiculous either.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Mike regarding heads up on avalanche risk. Level 4 is seriously serious and we should all be aware.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Gazzza, I'd absolutely echo Roger's comments about not wanting to be in ski boots at the Joch. It’s a big place, and the ice palace in particular would be a nightmare. Clothing can be another issue too - your ski suit might be fine at Kleine Scheidegg, but it may well be inadequate at the Joch. More complications.

The other conundrum with the Joch in the winter is the weather. If it’s a nice day, you don’t go to the Joch because it’s a great day for skiing. If it’s a cloudy / snowy day you also don’t go because there’s no point. Add in the obvious factor of the cost, which is high, and you simply never go whilst you’re on a skiing holiday. We go a lot in summer (it’s been included in the pass for the past couple of summers), but never in winter.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
......and for the skiers! Oh my word from the sublime to the ridiculous. Yesterday extremely acceptable powder, with challenging light.
Today was simply dire. Across Scheidegg the wind had battered all that lovely fresh snow, it really wasn't much fun.
The positive is that the pistes have had a much needed freshen up.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks Mike and Roger. Noted. I did wonder as much, however I do think as it's a first visit to the region that despite missing a couple of hours skiing and the price, it might be nice to take the kids up, maybe mid way though an afternoon so we've skied most the day and will only miss a couple of hours at the back end when conditions aren't as good. I guess I'll see how the land lies once we are out there.

So if I lug shoes around in a rucksack whislt skiing, is there a short term locker facility at KS or Eigergletscher to leave the ski boots in? Or is it a case of having to ski back to Lauters, dump all the kit, then train back up again (which would take a chunk out of the day).

Cheers.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Gazzza, you really need at least half a day for the Joch, not including travel. The train up from Scheidegg takes three quarters of an hour (it's a big part of the attraction really), so that’s an hour and a half there and back before you've even seen anything at the top. You can leave your skis in lock-up ski racks at Scheidegg, and there are left luggage lockers which will take your boots.

The Jungfraujoch is Switzerland's Disneyland. You won’t see much of it in an hour in the afternoon. If you really want to go, set aside some proper time. If I really wanted to combine a visit with some skiing, I'd ski early until about 11, and reserve seats on the 11.30 departure for the Joch from Scheidegg. That way you can get lunch at the top, and around 4 hours at the Joch, which would be good.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well a lovely surprise with conditions over at First today, far from what I was anticipating.
Possibly a snow surface/type I have never experienced before. A soft silky surface (a little like Spring snow) but overlying some treacherous breakable crust in some places.
A constructive hour spent in the Mammut transceiver practice area, we were visited by Andy Balmer the pisteur responsible.
The frightening thing about transceiver practice is you realise how poor you actually are!!
Certainly a thought provoking session.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks @telford_mike, appreciate your info. Understood, that is a big chunk out of the day. Will see how keen the kids are then and play it by ear. Maybe a summer trip one day is in order. Cheers.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A quick heads-up for music lovers who are here this weekend. Uptown Lights, an excellent covers band, will be playing in the Hotel Sunstar (Wengen) lounge from 7.30 on Sunday. All welcome.

latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The trackbed of the old railway line from Lauterbrunnen runs past our house. It’s used a lot by walkers, but this afternoon we spied a ski tourer coming uphill. It’s @Rogerdodger, and he's made the climb from Lauterbrunnen. It’s about 450 metres of vertical. Chapeau!

Nice to see you Roger!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My favourite little training tour, it is relatively safe as your location is fairly obvious....on an old railway line!!!
Lovely surprise to get my photo taken and realise it was@telford_mike, .
Great to see you both....I have to say you really have a fabulous location for your apartment.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Gazzza and anyone else who's visiting in the not too distant future, another place worth a visit when over at Mürren is the restaurant at Allmendhubel. It's easy enough to stop there for lunch. You should try the Schnitzels, which are sufficiently large that you can ask for an extra plate and divide it amongst 2. They make the coating with breadcrumbs and cornflakes. There is a small cover charge for the extra plate and you also get a separate salad and some bread with it. They also do lots of other lovely dishes and deserts. Winteregg isn't bad for a tea break as well.

Looks like conditions are going to be superb. Unfortunately it's look like it will be at least the 5th of March before I can make it there.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
telford_mike wrote:
The trackbed of the old railway line from Lauterbrunnen runs past our house. It’s used a lot by walkers, but this afternoon we spied a ski tourer coming uphill. It’s @Rogerdodger, and he's made the climb from Lauterbrunnen. It’s about 450 metres of vertical. Chapeau! Nice to see you Roger!

Pretty good going by any standards. Good to see the old railway being put to good use.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I was in Wengen for a week from 12th March 2020. I got in two days skiing before the lifts closed due to the start of the Covid restrictions. For the rest of the week I got in some lovely walks including one following the old trackbed from Wengen down to Lauterbrunnen. In some areas the small trees and bushes are growing quite strongly on the trackbed.
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
I was in Wengen for a week from 12th March 2020. I got in two days skiing before the lifts closed due to the start of the Covid restrictions. For the rest of the week I got in some lovely walks including one following the old trackbed from Wengen down to Lauterbrunnen. In some areas the small trees and bushes are growing quite strongly on the trackbed.

Given how many tons of concrete were involved in its construction, it’s amazing how quickly it is returning to nature.
ski holidays
You are quite correct@Alastair Pink, there are one or two areas where the conifers have really established. It makes for interesting skinning, trying to find a line through them without doing damage. There will come a time when Jungfraubahnen clear the route for access. My understanding is they have a maintenance liability in perpetuity. There are a couple of zones which present geotechnical issues.
snow conditions
I have walked up the old trackbed to Wengen from Lauterbrunnen and it is a really nice route - the only time I have ever desired an ice cream in the middle of winter (and found one). Chapeau for that climb.
snow report
Wengen's taxi service (Wegmuller) has ceased operating. The tourist office have put together a replacement service, so if you need luggage transfers on arrival look for the vans at the station. For departures, call +41 793467683. Please not this is for luggage transfer only - it’s not a taxi service.

Here's the announcement (translation by Google)

Municipality of Lauterbrunnen Security system Taxi system TAXI Wegmüller ends the taxi service in Wengen after 40 years TAXI Wegmüller surprisingly ends the taxi service in Wengen after 40 years. The sensitive service puts the car-free spa in great distress, especially in the high season. – Within a very short time, Wengen Tourism, together with the municipality, put together a reduced alternative offer for other interested parties together with the local transport and commercial companies. Last Wednesday, February 2, 2022, TAXI Wegmüller issued a leaflet informing them that after 40 years of taxi service, they no longer offer commercial passenger taxi transport with immediate effect. The flyer does not provide information about the reasons why this step is being taken in the high season. Nobody can imagine Wengen without a taxi service, especially in the high season. This new situation poses a major problem for those responsible for tourism and service providers in Wengen. Especially now that the sports holidays are beginning and Wengen is expecting many arriving and departing guests. Immediate action was required! Under the management of Wengen Tourism, the municipal councils from Wengen and the well-known companies, a reaction was taken as far as this was possible in the short time and a temporary solution was organised. Starting today, Friday, February 4, 2022, 4:00 p.m., luggage transport for guests will be offered from Wengen train station or the accommodation by the official transport companies and commercial establishments. To ensure that the luggage is unloaded at the destination or at the station and is not left unattended, a maximum of one person is carried in the vehicle (without compensation). A uniform fee WILL be charged for luggage transport. Guests will be informed about this new transitional service by their landlord, Wengen Tourismus and/or at the train station in Wengen. The transport service can be notified via telephone number +41 (0)79 346 76 83, which is operated by Wengen Tourism and coordinates the operations. In the coming days, this service WILL be offered from 08:00 to 20:00. In the medium and long term, a new organization will be set up in Wengen, which will again ensure passenger transport by taxi in the spa town of Wengen. Lauterbrunnen Municipal Council and Wengen Tourism

I believe the cost is CHF 25, regardless of distance.
ski holidays
We had Rob Stewart on The Ski Podcast in Episode 88, chatting about the new Eiger Express and the difference it makes to the area (about 41 mins in)
https://audioboom.com/posts/8025342-88-chemmy-alcott-on-ski-sunday-beijing-2022-plus-grindelwald-yad-moss
snow report
Thanks for the tips @DixieDean.
ski holidays
Gazzza wrote:
Thanks for the tips @DixieDean.
Your most welcome.
ski holidays
First time in the JR next week staying in Lauterbrunnen Very Happy does anyone know of any nice indoor picnic locations were you can sit in relative warmth and comfort possibly serving hot drinks?
snow conditions
BertieG wrote:
First time in the JR next week staying in Lauterbrunnen Very Happy does anyone know of any nice indoor picnic locations were you can sit in relative warmth and comfort possibly serving hot drinks?

Some of the lifts have rooms where you can eat a picnic. The old Mannlichen top station had one, so I suspect the new one will as well. As for the others I've never checked, but I suspect they will. I've certainly purchased a hot drink in places such as the restaurant at Mannlichen and eaten my own sandwich with it, but I try not to make it too obvious! I've not come across a picnic facility that has hot drinks available though.
snow conditions
@BertieG, at present the bulk of "picnic" rooms are closed. Indoor space that can not be monitored by the operating company.
The good news is that Terminal and particularly the top of the Eiger express Gondola have fairly large concourse areas where you can sit, indoors, out of the weather eat a sandwich and if you choose buy a take away coffee. Think airport type areas and you are pretty much there.
snow report
Today should have been a complete write off gauging from the forecast.
Well it was anything but a "write off". We skied virtually every type of snow that nature can generate!!
Not too busy, cold in the wind with some compensating sunshine.....all in all a good day!
snow conditions
BertieG wrote:

It's going to be mega busy everywhere I think outdoors for picnics and hot drinks will be your best hope
latest report
Thanks@DixieDean, @Rogerdodger, @Jill t, we are staying with friends who know Murren on and off piste well. If we get the Murren pass can you get a day extension for the whole region?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BertieG, pretty sure you can - it certainly works the other way round i.e. extending a Wengen pass to include Mürren for a day.
ski holidays
Am finally daring to hope our first trip to Grindelwald is actually going to happen next week.

Day 1 - we have planned to have a gentle day finding our ski legs again as a family in the First area. Then got youngest child booked in for private morning lessons in First on Days 2 and 3, so will all stick around that side. Hoping to get across to Mannlichen on Days 4-6.

Would appreciate advice on any runs we should do (or avoid!) - we prefer to stick to wide pistes, blues and easier reds. Don’t mind the odd harder red so long as it’s wide!

We’re staying at the Gletschergarten and renting skis / having lessons with Buri Sport.
latest report
@SkiPenguin, it sounds like you've got a good plan. First has some lovely blues. From Oberjoch and Schilt chairs you have pistes 1, 3, 8 and 10 which are all pretty mellow. At Männlichen things get a bit steeper, but never scary. You should also get over to Kleine Scheidegg and ski on the Lauberhorn and down to Brandegg. One to avoid, perhaps is the tempting looking blue 25 from Eigergletscher. It’s steep and narrow at the top, and it gets pretty icy. Hope you have a great week.
latest report
Thanks @telford_mike, very helpful. 25 does indeed look tempting so we’ll avoid that.

What are runs 21 and 23 like? Thinking of doing those to get back at the end of the day, as they’re near the hotel.

Also, is the 36 ok for dropping down into Wengen?
snow conditions
@SkiPenguin, Mrs t_m just skied back to Wengen from work on 36 - she says it was in great shape. It’s not difficult, particularly if you stay to the left of the Bumps t-bar (piste 36b).

I assume you mean the long red 23 at First aka Stepfi? It’s an absolute star of a run - properly remote, no lifts, crowds etc, and you get to have a drink at the Hotel Wetterhorn at the end while you wait for the bus. It’s almost like a mini ski-tour, as a couple of bits go uphill. The other 23, which gets you to Grund, is just a gentle path (nice rustic cafe on the way down).

I've no recollection of a 21 at First, but 22 gets you to a bus stop with an outside bar. It’s easy enough as long as the snow's good.
latest report
Unbroken sunshine and mild temperatures today. It was well above zero at Scheidegg.

Down in the village the temp hit +10C this afternoon, tropical! It’s forecast to cool down over the next few days. Snow is still excellent everywhere, and valley runs are all open.
latest report
Fantastic, thanks Mike. I just had a look at the piste map and you’re right, I did mean 22 rather than 21. 23 sounds really nice and we do like stopping for a hot chocolate too. Really looking forward to it. Will report back. Thanks.
snow report
Well @SkiPenguin, delighted to hear of a Snowh' staying at Hotel Gletschergarten!
That is a lovely looking old attractive building, I have walked past it dozens of times.
For no reason at all I've never popped in for a pint.
Hopefully when we read your "glowing" hotel report it will become a must visit watering hole.
Hope all goes well have a super holiday!!
snow report
Cheers @Rogerdodger, will certainly report back. Very pleased to see @telford_mike’s photo yesterday- looking good out there.
snow conditions
@SkiPenguin, assuming you arrive this weekend...... there's a boat load of snow expected.
Have a great week!
snow conditions
Wondering if I can butt in here Very Happy When you say boatloads of snow next week - do you think (speculation i know) that’s through the whole week? We arrive Saturday… so looking forward to it!

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 11-02-22 7:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
We arrive Saturday too, first time back in four years, before that every year for 12 !

But one thing we want to do, having never got round to it, is eat Raclette. Looking for an evening rather than lunch, so somewhere in Wengen village - any recommendations please?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy