Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
We had the pleasure of guiding this entertaining group from Telford Ski Centre today. Nice one guys, you were great to ski with.

An awesome day, with endless on-piste powder and sunshine.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@telford_mike my family of four are thinking of switching from PDS to Grindewald or Wengen too. I try to minimise the carrying skis bus/walking faff for the kids and Mrs, causes less friction so happier times for all Happy. Where do folks leave their skis in these two resorts? Männlichen looks nice and small and we could walk to the cable car from the hotel, do people leave them in lockers in the base station or up on the Intersport at Männlichen? Or in Grindewald, lots of reports of lockers at the station but is there an option to leave skis at the new massive Grindewald base station? Or at Grindelwald First? Most hotels seem to be a stroll or bus rides away from any gondola.

I've only ever been to Austria or France before. Austria seems to have lockers at modern base stations or in hotels. France seems to be hotel based.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@snowheeeed, in Wengen some of the hotels have their own ski rooms for storing boots and skis, not a problem if the hotel is close to the Männlichen cable car. If your hotel is a bit further away from the cable car then there is a big ski and boot storage facility at Central Sports just next to the Männlichen cable car (you normally have to pay for this, but the hotel I usually stay at (the Edelweiss) has an arrangement with Central Sport so that their guests can use the facility free of charge.

I can't comment on Grindelwald as I've never stayed there.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@snowheeeed,
Sadly it’s difficult to get around any faff with skis in Grindelwald that we’ve found. Our solution was always to stay at the Derby Hotel which is directly located on the station. This means it’s a very short walk around from the boot room to the platform or a slightly longer walk up to the main bus station park where you catch busses up to First or down to the gondolas.

On our last visit we hired from Central Sport in the town who I believe would have offered ski storage if required & from recollection they used to have a small shop up by First (haven’t been since March 2019). If still there, might be worth emailing them re storage as they were very responsive when I wanted to check stock on a specific ski.

To be honest, if using Grindelwald as your base for the Jungfrau, due to the spread of ski areas, you’ll be better to keep your skis close by. If any areas are closed due to weather/wind or just a change of mind, then at least you can change to an alternative area easily.

EDIT: It was Buri Sport in Grindelwald rather than Central.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@snowheeeed, yes, there are lockers at Terminal, at the bottom of the Männlichen and Eiger Express gondolas. You can pre-book here:
https://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/grindelwald-terminal/ski-locker/
Enjoy!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all, based on hotel availability and on the balance of everything (cost, location, cancellation policy) I'm going to try Derby Hotel Grindelwald. Wengen looks lovely and sounds easier to get up the mountain, so maybe for another year. Just got to decide where to keep the skis to keep the family happiest Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowheeeed wrote:
Thanks all, based on hotel availability and on the balance of everything (cost, location, cancellation policy) I'm going to try Derby Hotel Grindelwald. Wengen looks lovely and sounds easier to get up the mountain, so maybe for another year. Just got to decide where to keep the skis to keep the family happiest Happy

A tip for the Derby - get a south facing room(s). They are bigger & have full sized baths (unless you are a die hard train fan I suppose).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Chuckles3, .....the view isn't too shabby either!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rogerdodger wrote:
@Chuckles3, .....the view isn't too shabby either!

But of course! Got some spectacular night shots over the years.

Yes, second tip, ask for a higher floor room - lessens any road noise & you get those rather spectacular views of the Eiger Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
First training runs for the downhill today. Accidents are expected!

Glorious sunshine today, but absolutely freezing. It should get less cold towards the weekend.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mürren today, everything very quiet. Coffee at Sonnenberg.

It’s still very cold, but the sunshine is lovely. Snow very good pretty much everywhere.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The International Lauberhorn races have begun, and we started with the Super-G today. Marco Odermatt flashes by - the first Swiss winner of the weekend, and hopefully not the last.

With weather like this, the races are a wonderful advert for the village.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@telford_mike, does the Super-G use the Lauberhorn course?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Smokin Joe, yes, they start just above Canadian Corner, and finish in the stadium at Innerwengen.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Marco Odermatt the most exciting skier on the planet at the moment great that he won here today after the tremendous win in Adelboden last weekend. Downhill not his strongest discipline but who knows!!!!
latest report
Jill t wrote:
Marco Odermatt the most exciting skier on the planet at the moment great that he won here today after the tremendous win in Adelboden last weekend. Downhill not his strongest discipline but who knows!!!!

Was a cracking run. He was 2nd last out at Bormio, so definitely not one to be written off that's for sure!

He's really making a fantastic mark on the circuit this season!
ski holidays
Jill t wrote:

He hit 138kph on his way down the Hannegschuss this afternoon, so he seems pretty comfortable with speed!
snow conditions
Which is the best train ticket to get from airport to location as i see the transfer ticket is not longer available ?
snow report
@Chris Brookes, I looked last night for exactly the same thing and noticed its gone - dont want to book a specific train just in case train is delayed etc.
ski holidays
@Chris Brookes, @Smokin Joe, I find that the best ticket is the supersaver ticket. EDIT: I made a mistake, the supersaver ticket is only valid for a particular time journey, don't buy this if you want flexibility. The flexible ticket which is valid all day that I meant to link to is called the Saver Day Pass. It goes on sale from 60 days before your travel date, and increases in price the closer you get to the travel date. It's valid for any train journey on the swiss rail network (including the last leg up to Wengen or Murren) and is valid for the entire day, so offers flexibility if your flight is delayed somewhat. Note that the default initial displayed price assumes you have a half price railfare card, you have to select that you don't to get the appropriate price.

Hope this helps. snowHead

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 14-01-22 18:08; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Alastair Pink wrote:
@Chris Brookes, @Smokin Joe, I find that the best ticket is the supersaver ticket. It goes on sale from 60 days before your travel date, and increases in price the closer you get to the travel date. It's valid for any train journey on the swiss rail network (including the last leg up to Wengen or Murren) and is valid for the entire day, so offers flexibility if your flight is delayed somewhat. Note that the default initial displayed price assumes you have a half price railfare card, you have to select that you don't to get the appropriate price.

Thanks Alastair
snow report
@Alastair Pink, thank you
snow report
Alastair Pink wrote:
@Chris Brookes, @Smokin Joe, I find that the best ticket is the supersaver ticket. It goes on sale from 60 days before your travel date, and increases in price the closer you get to the travel date. It's valid for any train journey on the swiss rail network (including the last leg up to Wengen or Murren) and is valid for the entire day, so offers flexibility if your flight is delayed somewhat. Note that the default initial displayed price assumes you have a half price railfare card, you have to select that you don't to get the appropriate price.

Thanks, I found it helpful too. Also it's Supersaver gets you a Fisrt class tix for only another 15CHF versus typically double rate. Looks fab. Never been on Swiss trains but imagine 2nd class is equiv to our UK 1st wink

BTW, couldn't spot the best family of four deal and approach, or return fares. Any suggestions please?
snow report
@snowheeeed, sorry I don't know about family deals, but as regard return fares I just book two separate supersaver tickets for the outbound and return days.
ski holidays
@snowheeeed, there is a button next to first / second class to add return journey
ski holidays
Found the return journey button now, thanks. (user error clearly!)
snow conditions
@Chris Brookes, @Smokin Joe, @snowheeed, apologies, I named and linked to the wong ticket Embarassed The supersaver ticket is fixed to a particular time train on the day . The flexible ticket I meant to link to is the Saver Day Pass. Once again apologies.
snow conditions
swskier wrote:
Jill t wrote:

Was a cracking run. He was 2nd last out at Bormio, so definitely not one to be written off that's for sure!

He's really making a fantastic mark on the circuit this season!

Great race and atmosphere on the mountain today and its going to be so exciting tomorrow
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another race, another air show. Today’s was better.

The village is absolutely packed and there's barely a mask in sight Shocked Big party tonight, race tomorrow, and party again. It'll be interesting to see the attendance numbers next week.
latest report
telford_mike wrote:

The village is absolutely packed and there's barely a mask in sight Shocked Big party tonight, race tomorrow, and party again. It'll be interesting to see the attendance numbers next week.

I hope the Covid infection numbers in the village don't rocket upwards as a result. Skullie
ski holidays
I watched the ceremony on SRF TV at home tonight certainly the crowd in the World Cup village were largely wearing masks and entry was prohibited without a covid cert, on the main street well its a free for all but at least everybody is outdoors
ski holidays
@Jill t, good to hear. We stayed at home tonight Very Happy
ski holidays
Big race today, and it was won by an Austrian, which never goes down well here. It’s still blue skies and sunshine, with pistes starting the day firm, before softening in the afternoon warmth. I didn’t get a decent photo today, but Air Glaciers shared this stunner.

snow report
@telford_mike, great photo! Cool
snow report
Holiday prep in progress 2022 style!

Antigen test x 2 sitting on the table ready to be used.
Backup antigen x 2 sitting on the table ready to pack just incase we get badly delayed and we trip over the 24hrs.
Rick Stein at Home dinner ordered for the weekend so we have restaurant food but safe at home
Essential shopping only this weekend
Next week drive to work two days so avoiding the special people on the train who have the extra special invisible face masks.
1 day wfh
1 day online course from home
1 day extra AL and the longest 30mins when we do the LFT and hope as always for just 1 red line. If all that works I can get excited and pack the bags and we are off to Wengen on the 29th.

I am quite excited about finally getting to use my new skis that have been waiting for almost two years to get used!
I have skied in the area before both for weekend trips when I lived in Switzerland and a few years ago for a holiday but just like many I haven't skied for a couple of years.

I do ski OK. Not the speediest but mostly happy on blues & reds. Always in control but I do sometimes have an attack of the collywobbles especially in flat light and if I perceive the slope and being too steep even if its not! So given that I have had a gap of a year I think a nice confidence building ski lesson is in order

Does anyone have a recommendation for a particular ski school or instructor who would be patient with my collywobbles and remind me of how to get down the steeper slopes? My plan would be for a 2 hour private lesson on day 2. I did this a few years ago and I was a much less anxious skier for the rest of the week. It will be just me I did ask the other half if he wanted to share the lesson but was told it would be too difficult as we are at such different levels rolling eyes Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
@Cat66, some in our group had lessons last week with an instructor called Geronimo from Altitude. He restored confidence to a very nervous skier who was almost on the point of going home after her first day, and helped others to ski better and get greater enjoyment. It was (iirc) CHF155 for 2 hours for up to 6 people - still a bargain for one person.

We shared a 2hr lesson on day 2 with quite a difference in skill levels - I’ve always found something(s) to learn even in this scenario, particularly when confidence is the main issue to be addressed.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 17-01-22 23:59; edited 2 times in total
latest report
Cat66 wrote:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a particular ski school or instructor who would be patient with my collywobbles and remind me of how to get down the steeper slopes? My plan would be for a 2 hour private lesson on day 2. I did this a few years ago and I was a much less anxious skier for the rest of the week. It will be just me I did ask the other half if he wanted to share the lesson but was told it would be too difficult as we are at such different levels rolling eyes Very Happy Very Happy

+1 for Altitude ski school. Full disclosure, Mrs t_m works for them, but they are excellent.

https://www.altitudeskischool.com/wengen/
snow report
telford_mike wrote:
Cat66 wrote:

+1 for Altitude ski school. Full disclosure, Mrs t_m works for them, but they are excellent.

https://www.altitudeskischool.com/wengen/

Swiss Ski and Snowboard School Wengen
Skischulleiter: Ercole Famiglietti | info@skiwengen.ch

Zentrum Silberhorn / CH - 3823 Wengen / Berner Oberland / Schweiz
0041 33 855 20 22

There are a number of really good instructors in the Swiss Ski School such as Julie or John Parsons,Vroni,Fritz,Silvia May ,Bob or Rachael Eastwood are obvious ones but just go in the office and explain what you are looking for they will fix you up(office next to the Co Op)
latest report
And in the interests of inclusiveness it's also fair to mention the Privat ski school in Wengen, I had an excellent Telemark lesson some years ago with one of their instructors (Tino).
snow report
Alastair Pink wrote:
And in the interests of inclusiveness it's also fair to mention the Privat ski school in Wengen, I had an excellent Telemark lesson some years ago with one of their instructors (Tino).

agree Pierre or Tino or Valdo
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy