Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
@RichieC43, anything south or west facing (Honegg / Wixi) got quite bumpy in the sunshine this afternoon (it was +10C in the village). Black Rock icy. Elsewhere pretty good. Arven blue closed this afternoon as too slick for a blue, but they’ll sort that out tonight as the ski schools rely on it.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@telford_mike, Hopefully some fresh top up due early next week
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Went with the DHO over to Grindelwald First this morning. When we got there there was a very biq queue going round the outside of the lift building (more Covid secure than queueing inside the building I suppose). It took about 30mins before we got onto the gondola.

snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My Grindelwald mate (resident) abandoned First because of the Q. He said he's putting skins on tomorrow for a walk to avoid the hordes.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It’s still very warm. Ski teacher's day off.

Val skied her class back to the village from Scheidegg yesterday afternoon, and the pistes were soft and bumpy but ok. We could certainly do with some colder weather though. Lots of holidaymakers leaving today - it’s back to school on Monday for the Swiss kids, and doubtless many others.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
So I'm due to fly back to the UK on this morning's 07:10 flight from Zurich airport. I arrive in good time at 04:40 and go to the Swiss Airlines check in desk. I show my UK passenger locator form which I'd completed earlier on my phone, all OK. Then they ask to see my antigen (lateral flow) test which I'd got done in Wengen less than 48 hours ago. Slight problem - the certificate not surpringly is in German and the stupid rulemakers in the UK will only accept certificates in English, French or Spanish!! rolling eyes So I had to go to the testing facility at the airport which fortunately opened at 5am to get another test. Having paid CHF75 for the privilege I then got back my (negative) result in English emailed to me within 30 minutes so I was then able to get my bags processed, go through security and reach my gate, which opens shortly. More stress and expense I could have done without, all because the UK authorities won't accept a Covid certificate in German. I think even a child could understand it, after all "negativ" is fairly obvious isn't it??? Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Alastair Pink, it's unbelievable. Yet here are the UK gov rules which imv could at least make life a bit easier for UK residents

Hope your journey is progressing more smoothly now.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you for sharing your "antigen test in German" experience, Alastair.
I think you've probably helped out quite a few of us folks who are about to travel to Wengen with this information.
Now I'm wondering if there is a choice to get the (UK entry) Antigen Certificate printed in English, French or Spanish in Wengen.
Anyway, not your problem. Hope you had a great time in the village.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Creature, the certificate that you get from the doctors in Wengen will be in English, if that’s what you ask for. Here's one I did a while back. I think Alastair must have been unlucky.

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks so much, Mike. Very kind of you to clear this up so quickly.
I will make sure to ask for my certificate in English.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
On closer investigation it seems I could have got an English language version of the Wengen test certificate after all! What happened was that the email they sent me had a link to click on for the results, and when I did it came up with a webpage giving the results in German. I'd assumed that was all there was, the test results being in German. What I hadn't noticed was that at the top on the left it was titled NEGATIV-Antigen-Schnelltest on a blue backround and to the right it was titled NEGATIVE-Rapid Antigen Test on a white background. I just thought it was explaining the German title in English. If I'd clicked on the right hand title to select it (making it blue) it then came up with a version of the test results in English. Embarassed An expensive mistake, but hopefully one from which other visitors to Wengen can avoid. snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This year it is hoped that the Lauberhorn races can go ahead. There will be 4 races; a Super-G on Thursday 13th, a downhill on Friday, another downhill on Saturday (this is the 'official' Lauberhorn DH) and the slalom on Sunday. Building work is in full swing.

Weather-wise, it’s been a little colder today, and overcast. There’s snow forecast for Wednesday, along with a big drop in temperatures. Workers could be seen reconnecting snow cannons at Scheidegg this afternoon in anticipation.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@telford_mike, first day today, not up Mannlichen til around 11 and was expecting significantly worse snow given the recent weather but have skied a lot poorer!
Ended the day on Blue 22 back down into Grindelwald which was definitely chopped up and sugary which made for heavy going.

What an incredible area, awe inspiring views wherever you look!

Any idea when the Lauberhorn will be closed to the public pre-race?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@RichieC43, glad to hear you had a good day. All the valley runs are getting a bit iffy now, but new snow and colder temps on Wednesday will help. First training runs for the Lauberhorn DH are on the 11th, so definitely closed from then on, maybe a day or two earlier while they put up the last of the netting.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@telford_mike, thank you, we should get to squeeze a run in

Last one, best link from Grindelwald Terminal to Firstbahn? Train to Grindelwald but is there a ski bus to First from the station?
latest report
@RichieC43, bus to/from Terminal - First every 15 minutes. If you find yourself at the station in Grindelwald there is a bus every half hour, but you can walk it in ~10 minutes, maybe less.
snow report
Perfect! Thanks Mike
snow report
We had a good snowfall overnight and this morning, and the pistes are much improved.

Temperatures are about 15 degrees lower than they were this time yesterday, and there’s more snow forecast over the next few days.
snow conditions
@telford_mike,
What a difference a day makes eh! We had a slightly later start today and a cracking day around Kleine Scheidegg, Eigernordwand and then the Eiger Express home to Terminal.

Tomorrow's plan is to investigate the Wengen side, where was that photo taken? looks lovely.
ski holidays
@RichieC43, that's on the run (22) down to Brandegg from Scheidegg this morning - you may have skied it today. It’s one of the most picturesque pistes in the area. Normally you'd have a lovely view of the north face of the Eiger on the right, but not today with the snow. You can see the cables of the Eiger Express above in the photo.
ski holidays
Hi all - we are headed to Grindelwald in February - very excited!

I was hoping to tap into the local knowledge.. what's the very easiest blue run in Grindelwald (any of the areas)? I am a very timid intermediate (beginner in terms of bravery, though I can ski pretty much parallel) and want a run to do my first day practice on withough losing my nerve. The others in my family are very confident advanced intermediates.

thanks so much!
snow conditions
@Soozm, opinions will vary on this, but here are my suggestions.

Piste 22 - Kleine Scheidegg to Brandegg. It gets a bit more awkward after Brandegg, so get the train back up / down from there.

Piste 36 - Kleine Scheidegg to Wengen. Use piste 36b (stay left) when you get to the top of the Bumps drag lift. It’s mostly a path. No need to go all the way to Wengen, as you can catch the train back up / down from Allmend.

Piste 3 - First to Schreckfeld.

Have fun!
snow report
Last night a bunch of us visited the Golden India restaurant in Wengen. Great food, highly recommended if you need a curry fix while you’re here. There’s another one over in Grindelwald.

A much better day today, as long as you were well wrapped up. It was minus 13 at Männlichen this morning. The low temperatures mean that the snow cannons on the meadows above Wengen can run all day.

Pistes are still pretty firm, and it was predictably busy in the sunshine today.
ski holidays
@telford_mike - thank you! That’s very helpful indeed Eh oh!
latest report
telford_mike wrote:
@RichieC43, that's on the run (22) down to Brandegg from Scheidegg this morning - you may have skied it today. It’s one of the most picturesque pistes in the area. Normally you'd have a lovely view of the north face of the Eiger on the right, but not today with the snow. You can see the cables of the Eiger Express above in the photo.

Didn't get a chance to ski 22 last couple of days myself but heard it was a lot nicer with the new snow, although as you say much busier today.

Couple of runs into Wengen today, all go around Lauberhorn for next week I see and the cannons working overtime.
36b to the left of bumps was well skied by the time we got there later in the day and very busy with families heading back to Wengen.
Enjoyed black 45 from the top of bumps as far as where it crosses blue 36 again; the steeper section down into Innerwengen was a good spot to bow out wink
ski holidays
@Soozm, @telford_mike is absolutely spot on.

Stick with those recommendations until you get you legs back.

I will say, but bearing in mind I've never skied Switzerland at all (or Europe at large in the past 25 years!) I've found the blue run gradings in particular varied!
Take Blue 3 and 4 on First. 3 is a nice cruisy blue but the latter could easily be graded red and the way it skied the other day, a black elsewhere.

Reds I've found the most consistently graded. Red 21 from Kleine Scheidegg down to Arven has quickly become our family favourite and if there's anyone less adventurous, you've got the option of Blue 22 down to the same spot.

As we're parking at Grindelwald Terminal each day, we've found the slickest way home has been to end the final run of the day at the Eigernordwand chair (easily accessible from the above two options) up to Eigergletscher for the most stunning views at the end of the day then catch the Eiger Express down to Grindelwald
ski holidays
@Soozm, the blue from Kleine to Brandegg is great for getting those ski legs back
ski holidays
First was very quiet this morning, recommendations would be Oberjoch, Gemsberg and the far run off Hohwald t - bar.
All specifics aside it's fantastic to be back on snow in the Jungfrau Region, rumour has it snow is imminent!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This evening I go for drinks with our landlady, this is the 20th anniversary of us meeting and staying with Frau Stäger. I have been extremely lucky to have skied the season for the majority of those 20 years.
Evident therefore that Lauterbrunnen works well for us.
latest report
This evening I go for drinks with our landlady, this is the 20th anniversary of us meeting and staying with Frau Stäger. I have been extremely lucky to have skied the season for the majority of those 20 years.
Evident therefore that Lauterbrunnen works well for us.
snow report
Cold and a bit grey today, though the sun tried its best to get through the clouds at lunchtime. Less busy than yesterday - lots of people were leaving this afternoon. Wixi.

Light snow in the village at the moment.
snow report
@telford_mike, a bit of advice please ... we are planning to switch our 3Vs HT break to Switzerland (can't wait for Monsieur M to make his mind up). Looking at 2 hotels in Grindelwald (the Belvedere and the Boutique Glacier - both look great) and the Baeren in Wengen. I know Wengen and Murren relatively well but have never been to Grindelwald. What's the skiing like over in Grindelwald and how long does it take to get to Wengen? I seem to remember that the lifts out of the village are quite old and very slow - is this still true? Thank you!
latest report
@franga, Grindelwald has 2 splendid new lifts out of the village. The Eiger Express (24 seat gondola) takes you up to Eigergletscher in 15 minutes. The new Männlichen gondola (10 seater) whisks you up to the top in a similar time. The gondola to the First area has not been renewed yet. So for Grindelwald, massive improvements from a couple of years ago. The skiing in Grindelwald is essentially the same as Wengen, except you have easier access to First. It’s still a bit easier to stay in Wengen (cable car to Männlichen in just 5 minutes), but Grindelwald has been vastly improved.
latest report
telford_mike wrote:
@franga, Grindelwald has 2 splendid new lifts out of the village. The Eiger Express (24 seat gondola) takes you up to Eigergletscher in 15 minutes. The new Männlichen gondola (10 seater) whisks you up to the top in a similar time. The gondola to the First area has not been renewed yet. So for Grindelwald, massive improvements from a couple of years ago. The skiing in Grindelwald is essentially the same as Wengen, except you have easier access to First. It’s still a bit easier to stay in Wengen (cable car to Männlichen in just 5 minutes), but Grindelwald has been vastly improved.
Thank you, much appreciated. Mrs F prefers Grindelwald as one of the hotels has the obligatory “naked only” spa facilities Eh oh!
ski holidays
Wow, that does seem like a great improvement for Grindelwald. Thanks for the info @telford_mike!
ski holidays
Spoiler Alert!!
One of the finest powder days I can remember! Forecast was for a modest 15 to 30 CMS.
Spent the morning at First skiing consistently 45 to 50 CMS. Very cold first thing snow in fantastic condition.

Serious note. A very significant avalanche released on the cliffs below Oberjoch chair.

Nobody caught in it, pleased to report. Possibly a cornice collapse.
snow report
I'm really tempted to change my French trip to this region Happy Base depths look a lot less than Val D'isere, but seems like the region doesn't need as much to get decent skiing?
ski holidays
One big advantage over here@Alex A, this doesn't get tracked out the way VD does.
We had acres of untracked all morning.
snow conditions
Rogerdodger wrote:
One big advantage over here@Alex A, this doesn't get tracked out the way VD does.
We had acres of untracked all morning.

Sounds awesome! I've been in the summer twice and it's stunning there. Really drawn by the scenery. To be honest, after no skiing for 2 seasons, I'd be happy just being in the mountains in some snow!
snow report
@Rogerdodger, agreed, it was one of the best days of the season - absolutely epic!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy