Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
@telford_mike, that is such a lovely photo. Very Happy

A pity that we haven't had a sHs Calendar photo competition for the last year or two*, that photo would be a prime candidate in my opinion.

* @admin, any chance of resurrecting the sHs calendar for next year? It would be a good opportunity during this lockdown period for people to review their best snow photos and share them. I realise it may have to wait until the snowMedia zone is replaced/reabsorbed onto the sHs main servers as I think you are planning to do?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That is indeed a good idea @Alastair Pink.
I sort of lost interest in the calendar when there was pouting, from less enlightened individuals, about my exploiting the endeavour of the photographers for profit, via a project that actually cost me money most years. I really didn't mind the cost, which was minimal: I did mind the grief.
But I found myself missing it this year, so yes, we're on the same page (which would be 'January') Wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Birg/Schilthorn is now only open at the weekends in January...we will see about February
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Chris Brookes, too few guests - lots of hotels closed here. Jungfraujoch also weekends only.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@telford_mike, love all your pics, keep them coming !!!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Is 23 open this year @telford_mike? The one that runs across from Brandegg to the new terminal? It's shown as open on the interactive map but hasn't been opened for quite a few years.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is 23 the "bob run" - quite narrow in places and more a track than a piste?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@countryman it goes left just before the bridge after Brandegg and heads across towards the top of the final hill before the caravan park on the run down from Mannlichen. It's a red. I don't think its been opened for years but it's showing open now on the interactive map. I had a bit of a moan last year at the boss of the slopes about not being able to get across from Brandegg to the new lifts because it was never opened.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@DixieDean, @countryman, yes it’s open, and yes, it’s a narrow track that goes through the forest and emerges at Aspen.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@telford_mike, @countryman Amazing. I presume it's a lot quicker going back up on the Eiger Express rather than the train?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@DixieDean, 15 minutes to Eigergletscher on the new gondola, vs double that on the train to Scheidegg. Trains from Grindelwald are only once an hour at the moment (very few skiers) so skiing to Brandegg for lunch usually means a ski down to Grund to get one of the new gondolas back up.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@telford_mike Lunch at Brandegg - don't get me going, I'd kill right now for a Bratwurst and fries!! Or a schnitzel at Allmendhubel!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DixieDean wrote:
@telford_mike Lunch at Brandegg - don't get me going, I'd kill right now for a Bratwurst and fries!! Or a schnitzel at Allmendhubel!!

or a Rösti at Winteregg
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Indeed, in a week I'd get the lot twice! And the pie at Winteregg. You guys don't know how lucky you are to be living there at the moment
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DixieDean wrote:
Indeed, in a week I'd get the lot twice! And the pie at Winteregg.

Out of future interest, to what specific type of pie are you referring? Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Alastair Pink wrote:
... to what specific type of pie are you referring? Madeye-Smiley

They often have a fruit pie or strudel, or a black forest gateaux. Anything of that ilk really with a cup of tea. I've got a bit of a sweet tooth. And of course there's the apple fritters at Brandegg as well. Sorry guys, getting very morose now, it's months since I've been out for a meal (or for anything else TBQH) and I was really looking forward to my ski trip this year Sad
latest report
@DixieDean, ah yes, I've had a fruit pie at Winteregg, very tasty certainly. I feel your pain at not being able to get in your ski trip. Sad
snow report
Come on you regulars you have neglected the Black Forest Gateaux in Stechelberg Hotel.
ski holidays
@Rogerdodger can't say I've ever been there. Probably because it's a bit off the beaten piste. Come to think of it, I've never driven passed the lift terminal there into the village in all the years I've been going in the summer either. Have often thought we should do the walk down from Murren to Stechelberg sometime in the summer, and in fact last time we were there 18 months ago we did walk from Stechelberg terminal along to Lauterbrunnen, get the cable car up and walk to Murren. By then I think we were a bit late to walk down as well so we just walked down to the half way point and then got the lift down. What's the main food like in there. I must admit in the summer we tend to eat at the Oberland Hotel in Lauterbrunnen which does some fine meals as well.
ski holidays
DixieDean wrote:
@Rogerdodger can't say I've ever been there. Probably because it's a bit off the beaten piste. Come to think of it, I've never driven passed the lift terminal there into the village in all the years I've been going in the summer either. Have often thought we should do the walk down from Murren to Stechelberg sometime in the summer, and in fact last time we were there 18 months ago we did walk from Stechelberg terminal along to Lauterbrunnen, get the cable car up and walk to Murren. By then I think we were a bit late to walk down as well so we just walked down to the half way point and then got the lift down. What's the main food like in there. I must admit in the summer we tend to eat at the Oberland Hotel in Lauterbrunnen which does some fine meals as well.

It's a great place. In summer they have an outdoor pizza oven, but try the chicken wings anytime of year.
snow report
@telford_mike, this thread does not quite have the same appeal without the appearance of your beautiful snaps!!!! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
The irony of folk not knowing Stechelberg Hotel, is it's accessibility. The bus turns around in the hotel carpark, every half hour.
We once took friends up for dinner, they were staying in chalet Rosa (Ski Miquel) the chalet staff told our friends don't know where you are going there is nowhere to eat up there.!
For the record, the food is consistently excellent....Schwarzwald kuchen!
snow report
northantsred wrote:
@telford_mike, this thread does not quite have the same appeal without the appearance of your beautiful snaps!!!! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Too kind sir! Here's a snap of icicles hanging from our Wisteria this afternoon. It's really cold, and new snow tonight apparently.

ski holidays
Normal service . . . . lovely!
latest report
beautiful
snow report
Indeed your pictures are very welcome @telford_mike
ski holidays
Thanks chaps. Lots of snow last night and through today. Very poor viz - hardly anyone went up the hill.

Some very low temperatures are forecast for tomorrow so it'll doubtless be quiet again.
snow report
@telford_mike, webcams this morning look very good.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Smokin Joe wrote:
@telford_mike, webcams this morning look very good.

Indeed the view at the top of the Wixi right now is wonderful, and hardly a sole to be seen
snow report
DixieDean wrote:
Indeed the view at the top of the Wixi right now is wonderful, and hardly a sole to be seen

Something very fishy about that..... Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
Something very fishy about that..... Madeye-Smiley

Oh dear, I did wonder about that as I pressed "Submit" Laughing However, I guess you might get one on your plate in one of Wengen's many lovely hotels!
latest report
Are hotels all open?
ski holidays
@skilegs, No, about half are closed at the moment. Some are hoping to reopen in time for the February 'rush'.
snow report
Another 15cm of snow overnight. Sunny today but absolutely freezing - minus 15 on the Lauberhorn this morning. Wengen is looking good.

ski holidays
I have stayed in that house right in the centre of the picture with the metal steps to the door. snowHead snowHead
snow report
@Smokin Joe, Chalet Rose.
snow conditions
Just thought people might find this interesting: me and my dad about 1956

snow report
@snowball, wow! At Wengernalp. Great pic.

It's been snowing all day right down to Interlaken. This is Ost Bahnhof this afternoon.

Tons of new snow in Wengen. Avalanche risk just went to 4.
ski holidays
That is a fantastic photograph from @snowball, the golden age of the region.
My Lauterbrunnen landlady arrived in 1953ish met and married an instructor/mountain guide and is still going strong.
The instructor, Werner Stäger, taught a certain Frith Finlayson who was a founding father of BASI.
Frith went on to achieve the "Swiss Ski School Directors License" probably the first Brit to hold an international qualification.
snow report
What a wonderful picture
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy