Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
@telford_mike, Hope there's still an airshow and you get to see it. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks like a good snowfall predicted for Christmas Eve, so definitely a White Christmas in Wengen! snowHead We'll just have to experience it vicariously via the webcams. No New-Year or Lauberhorn weekend for us this year, even late season-March is looking doubtful with Tier4. First season in 20 years that we won't be in the Jungfrau region Crying or Very sad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I am pretty sure you guys will be able to watch the race.
It’s all about tv rights and money now.

Sandwich on the go well yes in March I could live with it.
You are not going to get tourists coming as the whole experience is about a nice lunch on a cold snowy day and a hot toddy later. Locals and seasonaires will do it but people will not spend large amounts of cash to have many of the fun bits missing.
Skiing and having lunch I love. A beer and banter later is part of it.
For us Brits we have no choice as we cannot come anyway!!
Even Scotland is off limits.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
...must get the VPN going for Lauberhorn weekend - lots of coverage on SF Zwei that's only available for 'Swiss' viewers. EuroSport will probably over-run with the Australian Tennis or blindfolded Bowls like they usually do Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@sherlockis, Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Had a wonderful day yesterday. Was flat light but had great time blasting around empty pistes. All up until we got back to the hotel and read about the retrospective quarantine.

Made the decision to implement our contingency plan and head home today. Currently writing from the Eurotunnel train (running fine, no queues!)

Definitely see it as 3 ski days gained, with minimal financial impact from the curtailment, just need to see if the lift operator is willing to give a refund for unused days under their corona guarantee

Looking forward to coming back next year!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is it possible to leave Switzerland with during the retrospective quarantine? I ask stuck in a hotel in Zermatt on my own for the next week Sad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@BenW_86, we just got in our car and left...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ma94jcg wrote:
Had a wonderful day yesterday. Was flat light but had great time blasting around empty pistes. All up until we got back to the hotel and read about the retrospective quarantine.

Made the decision to implement our contingency plan and head home today. Currently writing from the Eurotunnel train (running fine, no queues!)

Definitely see it as 3 ski days gained, with minimal financial impact from the curtailment, just need to see if the lift operator is willing to give a refund for unused days under their corona guarantee

Looking forward to coming back next year!

How long had you originally intended being out in Wengen for? Presumably the hotel won't be reimbursing you for any lost days? Still, you got in 3 days days on near empty slopes by the sound of it, whiich could me more than a lot of us get this season. Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
*removing duplicate post*

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 22-12-20 21:36; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Alastair Pink, I only booked the hotel last Thursday. I asked 3 hotels in Wengen for their best offer for 7 nights sat-sat and whether they would allow early departure without penalty and all said yes. So we only paid for the 3 nights we were there. All offered discount!

We ended up staying in the Maya Caprice half board. We had a suite for the 4 of us and I would thoroughly recommend it! Hotel couldn’t have been nicer and the staff handled the quarantine really well - very supportive of us and the other brits there. They also have an amazing collection of Bavarian beers!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ma94jcg wrote:
@Alastair Pink, I only booked the hotel last Thursday. I asked 3 hotels in Wengen for their best offer for 7 nights sat-sat and whether they would allow early departure without penalty and all said yes. So we only paid for the 3 nights we were there. All offered discount!

We ended up staying in the Maya Caprice half board. We had a suite for the 4 of us and I would thoroughly recommend it! Hotel couldn’t have been nicer and the staff handled the quarantine really well - very supportive of us and the other brits there. They also have an amazing collection of Bavarian beers!

I've not stayed there, but I have been to DHO parties there, so I know the bar area Laughing You did well to get a flexible booking. Safe trip home, and a Happy Christmas back in the UK! snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ma94jcg, it's a great hotel. Andy makes lovely beer. We used to stay there with the whole family when the kids were young and the in-laws were still around. Have a safe trip home.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@telford_mike, his beer is amazing. A real highlight of the trip snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ma94jcg, And it's his birthday today, so will have a couple with him later Very Happy
snow report
@telford_mike, Please wish him happy birthday from the British family who were staying in the Jungfrau suite. We arrived home safe and sound last night. He was a marvelous host - one of the best we have encountered in the Alps!
ski holidays
For any folks still in resort (or who have left), Jungfrau lift company have told me in an email that they will refund unused lift pass days.
latest report
Why is the start bar blurred out on the web cam now?

Decent snowfall 20cm starts later
ski holidays
@castleford tiger, I was wondering the same thing. Looking forward to the snow later while we guzzle our Christmas dinner Very Happy
ski holidays
I just saw this message on the Facebook What's On In Wengen page:

Please, anyone who has arrived in Wengen from the UK on or after the 14th December contact the doctors surgery. This is mandatory. Please do this and pass this onto anyone that isn't aware. New info since 23 12 20 @ 2200hrs.
Tel +41 33 856 28 28
ski holidays
About 20cm of new snow in the village overnight and through today. It’s feeling much colder. Tomorrow should be the big arrivals day for the Germans and the Dutch, but this season who knows.
snow conditions
A very cold day tomorrow minus double figures all day which is very cold especially with no pit stops open for a warm!!
We actually had a white Xmas in Yorkshire and zero all day.
Stay safe and lots of pictures please
snow conditions
Crazy busy today, and lots more guests arriving on every train. New snack hut where the tipi used to be at Scheidegg.

Down in the village, cannons are running 24/7. It’s really cold.

Great skiing everywhere.
snow report
It was a little less busy than the weekend today, but there are still plenty of people around. Heavy traffic at Scheidegg this morning.

Portacabins have appeared at the top of the slalom run at Allmend. The race programme begins on the 12th January.

We had a little snow at lunchtime today, and it’s still cold.
snow report
Gloomy today with snow this afternoon. The tennis courts are being used as a holding area for passengers waiting to get the Männlichen cable car.

This seems to be working well. The race track has opened down to Innerwengen, and Bumps t-bar also opened today.
ski holidays
Great photos, Mike. What camera are you using?
ski holidays
JTizzle wrote:
Great photos, Mike. What camera are you using?

Thanks. It's either an iPhone 12 Pro (me) or an iPhone 12 mini (Mrs t_m).
snow report
Any news on why the start bar has been shaded out? On the web cams

It rather spoils it TBH
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@castleford tiger, Nobody seems to know, unfortunately. Mrs t_m will try to pop in during her lesson tomorrow.
ski holidays
Thank you Sir another beer owing.
Any brits about for new year?
ski holidays
@castleford tiger, the usual ex-pat suspects, yes. But with bars closed we don't get out much. We have been living in our 'bubble' of 5 people (ourselves plus 3 mates) since March, and apart from a few apéros with trusted others we don’t mix a lot. Everyone in the village is doing the same. Great Christmas dinner though.

We'll be doing something similar for NYE I guess.
snow report
A few faces I recognise there. My mate Colin from our boozy days and the girl back right ( struggling for a name ) but was a rep for years before moving to the village.
Have a great new year.
snow conditions
Very cold today - One of those days when your hair turns white (not that I have much). You need a mask to ski down the nursery slope now.

The ski area is busy, but the snow is still fine, cannons still running at night.
snow conditions
Busy again today, and cold up at Scheidegg. Here's today’s takeaway offering at the Bahnhof restaurant.

Back in Wengen, Central Sport are doing a roaring trade in toboggan rental. It's always popular during school holidays, but this season demand seems to have gone off the scale.

Pistes are still good, a bit more sun would be nice!
snow report
Wengen is still reasonably busy - the Swiss school holidays don’t finish until next weekend. We had a lot of fog over the weekend, but today was much better with lots of sunshine, although the wind did mean that the Wixi chair had to close for a while at lunchtime.

The Civil Defence are building the race courses, so there’s quite a bit of construction traffic.
ski holidays
Are brits still being forced into 10 days quarantine
Can a negative Covid test get round this?
ski holidays
castleford tiger wrote:
Are brits still being forced into 10 days quarantine
Can a negative Covid test get round this?

Brits aren’t allowed in at all at the moment. If you try to fly here you’ll be denied boarding at the airport unless you have a Swiss passport or a residence permit. Not sure what controls exist if you drive or take the train, but if you do manage to get here you have to notify the canton of your arrival within 48 hours and quarantine for 10 days, and then take a test during your quarantine. Not sure whether that reduces the length of time you have to isolate for, but Bern seem to be being pretty good at communicating with visitors (by email) once they have registered that they are isolating.

Despite there being no bars or restaurants open, it’s actually quite nice here at the moment, and the skiing is good. Nice atmosphere in the village.
snow report
No chance then for us!
Baffled why the UK has been singled out.
The new strain is not unique to the U.K.
We didn’t invent it!!
We certainly cannot travel anyway until lockdown 3 ends.

It’s not happening for us.
Had a great day yesterday at England’s biggest ski area in The north east. 20 miles in from Durham
2 rows and a massive bowl of powder to go at. Still snowing so access might be a problem without chains.
First season I have missed in Wengen since 96.
ski holidays
castleford tiger wrote:
No chance then for us!
Baffled why the UK has been singled out.
The new strain is not unique to the U.K.

Unfortunately it has been labelled 'the U.K. strain' in the press, and therefore U.K. citizens are forever damned.

Interesting to see some of the 'lockdown escape' strategies employed locally here, like booking into a hotel purely to provide an opportunity to sit at a bar and have a meal in a hotel restaurant. At CHF250 for a nice room, and another CHF250 for dinner and drinks it’s expensive, but it’s a nice way to forget the lockdown for a few hours. At least we can go skiing afterwards.
snow conditions
Mike as you know we are back to March here. At least it was a warm spring and a bit more light.
Many have cancelled dry January in desperation!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy