Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
goweje wrote:
I'm looking on SBB and see over 500CHF for roundtrip train tickets (2nd class-2xadults, 2xchildren) from Zurich airport. Does that seem correct?

What if one purchases the Grindelwald-Wengen pass? Is there a rail pass I could buy that would provide discounts?

That seems expensive. I bought a Swiss half price card last time. It was 120chf and gives half price travel on all the trains. Might work out cheaper?

https://www.sbb.ch/en/leisure-holidays/travel-in-switzerland/international-guests/swiss-halffare-card.html
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You definitely need to be getting the U16s travelcard for the kids, they travel for free with a paying adult and it costs 30CHF per annum. No brainer.

https://www.sbb.ch/en/travelcards-and-tickets/railpasses/junior-travelcard-children-co-travelcard.html
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
goweje wrote:
Has anyone done the Jungfraujoch with young children? Mine are 3 & 6. Did the tunnel freak them out? I've heard that it's about 15 minutes that the train is in the mountain. Is that accurate?

The regional ski pass allows you to go up the Schilthorn (but not back down to Murren so you would have to buy the return tickets if they have a Regional of Murren lift pass). I think it's a much nicer trip. There's the "James Bond" revolving cafe at the top where you can enjoy a drink and a cake whilst watching the fabulous views.

A trip up either is not worth it unless there are clear skies though.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Weather unchanged - mild and sunny. Lots of snowmaking going on overnight, so pistes still good. The run back to the village is fine.

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
telford_mike wrote:
Weather unchanged - mild and sunny. Lots of snowmaking going on overnight, so pistes still good. The run back to the village is fine.

I'm not jealous, repeat, I'm not jealous, repeat .... .... less than 3 weeks to go thank goodness
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Forecast is still indicating that there might be 3 days of big dumping just before we arrive Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DixieDean wrote:
Forecast is still indicating that there might be 3 days of big dumping just before we arrive Very Happy

Everything crossed!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
While we are certainly well overdue for some snow, lets hope the weather does not ruin the Lauberhorn weekend.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The big dump I am referring to is January 30th and 31st, but it does look like it may snow over the Lauberhorn weekend, but mainly on the Sunday.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@DixieDean, Who are these clairvoyants?! I've made a note to self to bring up your post on the 30th if that comes off Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
One of my neighbours in Lauterbrunnen suggested that the incoming weather could turn WET instead of WHITE!
Let's hope he is WRONG
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I use Accuweather which shows Wengen as Friday as 1° cloudy, Saturday as -5° light snow and Sunday as -6° heavier snow. The big dump is shown as possibly on 30th, 31st and 1st February, with temperatures of -2 to -3°. The only fly in the ointment, so to speak, is possibly the 28th which is light snow/rain at 2°, but even then the low that day is -5°, so it may well be snow then too.

So, fortunately, for the most part minus temperatures associated with the forecast precipitation.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The 'Standard' run down to Innerwengen opened today. It's ok for the most part, but the bit where it runs next to the racetrack is very narrow and icy, so maybe avoid it until after the race if you have kids or less confident skiers with you.

Another lovely day, mild and sunny. The weather’s looking a bit iffy for Saturday, so a decision about swapping the Downhill to Sunday will be made tomorrow.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sadly the big dump has disappeared as well apart from a possible small dump on the 28th.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Awesome air show at lunchtime, with the Patrouille Suisse F-5Es and the Swiss Airbus.

Lauberhorn kicks off this evening with the bib draw for the Alpine Combination. No change in the weather in sight at the moment.

Update: No change to the race programme for the weekend. Downhill Saturday, slalom Sunday.
ski holidays
That has to be an iconic photo Mike, Swiss through and through!
Glorious day as well.
snow report
Yes, that's the 'Money Shot'! On the TV coverage of the Lauberhorn, they always make sure that they zoom out to get the Eiger, Munch,Jungfrau triple shot as they follow the skiers round the corner above the Hunschopf. That and the manufactured SilberhornSprung jump above the Austrian Hole, specifically for the TV viewers snowHead
snow conditions
Another Eiger pic:

Fantastic day.
snow conditions
High cloud today but weather ok for the Combined. Looks like snow tonight assuming the temperature drops enough. Currently +7C.

ski holidays
Question - Can you buy the 61 CHF upgrade to take the train to Jungfraujoch on the day in resort or do you need to prebook to avail of the reduced price?
snow report
DonardFlump wrote:
Question - Can you buy the 61 CHF upgrade to take the train to Jungfraujoch on the day in resort or do you need to prebook to avail of the reduced price?

You can get it from the railway station on the day. If it's sunny expect to queue.
ski holidays
Hi 'Donard' snowHead
You can buy on the day or the day before if the weather looks good enough. We have never pre-booked, just left it until the morning and one last check of the weather. You can now reserve seats as well - I think that has a deadline
latest report
I've just been watching Friday's combined events highlights on Eurosport Player. After the downhill half the Eurosport commentator said much to my surprise that the slalom half would be held "on the Männlichen". Shocked He also referred to it as a nice piste served by its own chairlift, but when they came to show the actual race it was clearly on the usual world cup slalom piste that ends at the bottom spectator area of the Lauberhorn (labelled "Lauberhorn Weltcup Slalom" black piste no.47 on the piste map). So does the piste have some local name of "Männlichen" (even though it's a long way from the Männlichen), or was it just misinformed comment by the Eurosport commentator?
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink, yes, the name of that piste is Männlichen.

We had a reasonable snowfall overnight, about 25cm up at the top, so the TV pictures should look great. More later.

Great pics in the Daily Mail. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7895527/Airbus-A321-F-5E-Tiger-fighter-jets-weave-mountains-ahead-Alpine-Ski-World-Cup.html?ito=social-twitter_mailonline
snow conditions
telford_mike wrote:
@Alastair Pink, yes, the name of that piste is Männlichen.

Well I never knew that, thanks for informing me. snowHead

(Still seems a long way from the Männlichen proper!) Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
On Eurosport just now they had the Race official say that due to some damage to the course (it was implied that this was accidental caused by the track preparation people) that couldn't be repaired that the race would start from the lower start (used yesterday for the combined event). Also 30 cms of new snow overnight.
ski holidays
Hope all the usual suspects were out and about today. We put skins on beyond the 't' bar at Grindelwald and went up onto Grosse Scheidegg. Bitterly cold, blue sky and best of all lots of untracked powder, a great day!!!!
ski holidays
After a brief cold snap the weather’s settled down again - it’s sunny and quite mild. Pistes fine all the way down to Mary's.

Removal of the race infrastructure is almost complete. The race track will be open to the public from Saturday.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
telford_mike wrote:
After a brief cold snap the weather’s settled down again - it’s sunny and quite mild. Pistes fine all the way down to Mary's.

Removal of the race infrastructure is almost complete. The race track will be open to the public from Saturday.

I did the Lauberhorn run some years back. Quite the experience, albeit at a much, much slower speed. Those WC downhillers sure must have some crazy in 'em!
snow conditions
Toadman wrote:

I did the Lauberhorn run some years back. Quite the experience, albeit at a much, much slower speed. Those WC downhillers sure must have some crazy in 'em!

It's a brilliant run. We usually leave it until March and April, then ski it every afternoon on the way home.
snow conditions
Very quiet today, surprising as it’s lovely weather.

A few people zooming around on super-G skis practicing for the Inferno over in Mürren tomorrow.
snow report
This year we have two rather known celebrities entering tomorrow’s 77th Inferno Downhill 2020 in #Mürren.

snow conditions
@Chris Brookes, apparently Chemmy is skiing the Inferno course wearing several small GoPro type cameras for a report on the Inferno for tomorrow's Ski Sunday. Smile
snow report
I read that too.

I do know that they spent some of the day at Birg filming Chemmy in her catsuit and her race bib on with a BBC crew
snow report
The burning of the devil last night -

https://www.facebook.com/thekandaharskiclub/videos/168094164501027/
ski holidays
Can anyone give me the rough costs of food on the mountain......it’s been a while.
latest report
Average lunch cost in Mürren is 20-30chf
snow conditions
I'm out solo in resort (based in Wengen) next week (wife now only hikes due to bone issues), so would be nice to meet up with some others.
snow report
The Inferno downhill movie is out - https://www.facebook.com/thekandaharskiclub/videos/490785534957440/
ski holidays
@Smokin Joe, here's a menu for the new Eigernordwand restaurant at Kleine Scheidegg (scroll to bottom of page):

https://www.huettenzauber.ch/de/restaurants/restaurant-eigernordwand/restaurant?file=files/user_upload/Alles%20fuer%202020/Eigernordwand%202020/Eigernordwand%20Winter%202020/Speisekarten%20und%20PDF/Speisekarte%20für%20Eigernordwand%20Wintersaison%2019_20.pdf
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy