Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
The warm, sunny weather continues, as it seems to over most of the Alps. Pistes are still fine all the way to Wengen and down to Grund.

No change in sight.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Inviting friends to enjoy Mürren -

Mürren Feb 2019 from Chris Brookes
https://vimeo.com/318187950
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great movie Chris, some really good footage. If that doesn't convince people how quiet this area can be then nothing will!!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Chris Brookes, nice vid. Very Happy
Did you get a chance to check out the Igloo bar at Birg, I called in for a hot chocolate there when I visited Mürren the other week.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nice one Chris, it’s been a great season, that’s for sure!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Alastair Pink, yes. They have made it bigger this year but no James Bond ice sculpture just some random one..lol

Did you notice SchilthornAG have put in an enclosed travelator for the visitors of the Thrill walk, too many complained of the walk back.....lol

@telford_mike, It was a great season until this warm patch arrived. I was hoping to return with the family this week but will leave it and see what next week is like. We will just go to our local resort instead tomorrow.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Chris Brookes, I'm enjoying the warm weather - start skiing early and have early beers in the afternoon snowHead

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@telford_mike, good idea...lol
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chris Brookes wrote:

Did you notice SchilthornAG have put in an enclosed travelator for the visitors of the Thrill walk, too many complained of the walk back.....lol

Except it isn’t running so it’s just a safer ‘trudge’
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's still sunny and warm, but the U.K. school holidays are over and it’s much quieter than last week. Still good skiing everywhere as long as you have regard to the time of day and aspect of the slopes. Some traffic on the home run at lunchtime today.

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chris Brookes wrote:

Did you notice SchilthornAG have put in an enclosed travelator for the visitors of the Thrill walk, too many complained of the walk back, lol

Unfortunately they didn’t realise that they needed planning permission to do this, so now there’s a big row: https://www.jungfrauzeitung.ch/artikel/171838/
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@telford_mike, that is unfortunate, the Swiss are pretty keen on things like planning permission.

As an aside, when I was in Mürren a year ago I noticed a plot of land in the village by the side of the street that runs closest to the cliff edge with the Lauterbrunnen valley that had some tall wire frame assembly on it. I wondered what it was for and someone told me that when a new building is proposed they do that so that people can see the height of the new building and raise any concerns/objections.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Birg Travelator....very long story SmileSmile Smile

@Alastair Pink, you are correct regarding the timber legs placed next to the post office in Mürren.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Silly temperatures today:

snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Totally agree and stopped me taking the girls to Murren this week. Will be coming next weekend instead.

At last the temps will finally drop on Thursday night and forecasted to snow a lot, hoping the FL stays low though!!
latest report
It's noticeably warmer today - something like +16C in Wengen. Went up for a ski just for a laugh. It’s actually pretty good as long as you choose your runs carefully.

There's a new blue piste above Scheidegg. It runs from the junction of Oh God and Black Rock down to Fallboden, which means less experienced skiers can avoid having to slither down the steep face of Schwarzen to get back to Scheidegg from Eigergletscher.

Apart from Oh God, which has some holes in it, just about every piste is open.

We surfed through the slush back down to Wengen, and enjoyed a beer at the Figeller bar on the nursery slope. T-shirt weather.

snow report
Heading to Wengen for the first time for a long weekend next month. I hope to ski on the Saturday and Sunday. Any suggestions for a ski plan for the two days that would include lunch each day at a restaurant my non-skiing wife could easily get to?
ski holidays
dw832 wrote:
Heading to Wengen for the first time for a long weekend next month. I hope to ski on the Saturday and Sunday. Any suggestions for a ski plan for the two days that would include lunch each day at a restaurant my non-skiing wife could easily get to?

Easy one. Head up to Männlichen on the cable car from the centre of the village, lots of varied skiing up there. Ski round to Kleine Scheidegg via Gummi and meet your wife for lunch at either the Eigernordwand restaurant or the Bahnhof - she can get the train up and there’s no demanding walking.

Day 2, Both get train up to Scheidegg, you ski everything there (Honegg - go early), Eigernordwand, Wixi, Fallboden and the blacks off the front side of the Lauberhorn, while she has a leisurely coffee. If you fancy Black Rock be sure to do it before lunch. Meet her at Eigergletscher for lunch (train up from Scheidegg). Scrummy lunch - you can ski 7km back to Wengen while she gets the train.

Don't forget to visit Rocks on Saturday night.
snow report
@dw832, what @Telford Mike said and as an alternative - any of the restaurants along the Wengen-Allmend-Kleine Scheidegg-Brandegg rail route will work. they're all within a 10mins to 45mins train ride away from Wengen, trains leave every 30mins. Personally I would go for Allmend, which is a doddle for your wife from Wengen - you can ski around KScheidegg in the morning then do the Lauberhorn and get the Innerwengen chair up to the restaurant.

And Brandegg along the cruisiest tree lined blue in Wengen for great Swiss Rosti and Apple fritters!..

But they're all good. Lots of choice at Kleine Scheidegg as well. You can't go wrong as a non-skier and all of them will be easy for you to reach on skis whether you start at Scheidegg or Mannlichen.
snow conditions
Brilliant. Many thanks guys - just what I needed. A few other quick questions you or another SH may well be able to answer.

We're parking down in Lauterbrunnen Fri lunchtime - Mon lunchtime and so need 3 or 4 days parking? It looks like you can't buy short stay tickets in advance. So is it then pay on entry or on exit? Card accepted?

We then need to get our return train ticket up to Wengen. Any deal I should be looking for?

TIA.
latest report
I think that there is a minimum stay in the winter for 5 days, never risked pay on arrival as always done weekends, which can be busy or half-terms which are always busy. Fri-Mon you will need 4 days so I would just pre-book for 5 and not have to worry about it. Pre-pay is guaranteed a space.

Trains to Wengen are 8CHF pp each way, no deals on that- it's practicaly free for Swiss standards Very Happy

Depending on how much you use the trains in Switzerland you could look into the half-price rail card. It can be surprisingly cost effective, especially for example if you decide to go up to the Glacier, which costs a small fortune. Check out the SBB website to work out if it's any good for you.
ski holidays
Much colder today, and it snowed all afternoon snowHead
snow report
Well, this famous area is in the middle of a massive construction project which will undoubtedly alter its characteristics.
Today myself, Mrs dodger and a Grindelwald mate skied the new "blue piste" from the Eigergletscher station.
This is a hugely significant piste as it will provide the route into the Kleine Scheidegg sector when the V - bahn is operational. Today we had 10 to 15cm of new snow and poor viz when we skied said blue. We laughed at the state of the run at the time of our foray, moguls, troughs humps and bumps. The "track" is one single width of a piste basher and while gentle in gradient has a super drop - off to skiers left.
The V - bahn is a high capacity gondola designed to bring Jungfraujoch passengers up to a the existing Eigergletscher station. Significantly vast numbers of skiers will also use this lift up onto the area, many of these skiers will need the blue piste. The existing layout being a choice between nasty black and reasonably steep red.
We considered the "new blue" and all considered that its current guise is for test purposes.
I wonder if any of the regular SH contributors have any further knowledge of the development.
latest report
Quote:

I wonder if any of the regular SH contributors have any further knowledge of the development.

I think it has already been alluded to on here, but to summarise, the new Männlichenbahn is set to open next season, with a faster (20 mins?) trip to the top. The following season the V-bahn is due to open, which I believe may be even quicker at 12 minutes to the top.

The most obvious other improvement which could be made is to find some way of avoiding poling past the caravan park at Grund.

Just hope it doesn't make the run down to Grund from the bottom of Läger too popular! We did it on one occasion this year after 6" of fresh snow and it was absolutely fantastic.
snow conditions
I`m heading to the Jungfrau tomorrow for a week Laughing
ski holidays
DixieDean wrote:
The most obvious other improvement which could be made is to find some way of avoiding poling past the caravan park at Grund.

Err, take the blue run (no.23) off to the right just after Aspen instead which goes down to Grund but avoids the caravan park?
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
DixieDean wrote:

Err, take the blue run (no.23) off to the right just after Aspen instead which goes down to Grund but avoids the caravan park?

Closed, unfortunately.
ski holidays
Rogerdodger wrote:

It’s an interesting question. Small differences to the lift system can result in big changes in behaviour. An example is the upgrade of the short (but slow) Gummi chair a few years back. Suddenly, the quickest way to Scheidegg was to get the cable car to Männlichen and ski round via Gummi - it was (is) quicker than the train!

The new GGM from Grund to Männlichen will undoubtedly be very popular, and I think it will mark a further shift away from the train to Scheidegg from Grindelwald. This is entirely logical, as the Jungfraubahn want the rail capacity for Jungfraujoch visitors.

The effect of the Eiger Express to Eigergletscher is much more difficult to fathom. We don’t even know whether it’ll be included in the regular ski pass yet - though the existence of the new 'blue' run suggests that it will. I suspect that the primary reason for the building of this lift is to get more folk to the Jungfraujoch however, and I wouldn’t be surprised if we see a seat reservation system similar to the one that the Schilthornbahn have introduced recently.

Plus ca change.

Anyhow, lots of new snow due starting tomorrow evening - enjoy!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
telford_mike wrote:
Alastair Pink wrote:
DixieDean wrote:

Closed, unfortunately.

I take it that it's currently closed due to snow conditions, it was open a couple of weeks ago when I was there early February? My reply to DixieDean's comment was prompted by the thought that he wasn't aware of the blue run from Aspen. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Alastair Pink wrote:
telford_mike wrote:
Alastair Pink wrote:
DixieDean wrote:

Closed, unfortunately.

I take it that it's currently closed due to snow conditions, it was open a couple of weeks ago when I was there early February? My reply to DixieDean's comment was prompted by the thought that he wasn't aware of the blue run from Aspen. Madeye-Smiley

Time of year, rather than snow conditions (same thing I suppose), although you never know it might be open again in the next few days, but it will be brief now we’re into March. Shame really, as there’s a lovely new restaurant a little way down there doing cake and käsebrattel which deserves to do well.
snow report
telford_mike wrote:
Alastair Pink wrote:
telford_mike wrote:
Alastair Pink wrote:
DixieDean wrote:

Closed, unfortunately.

Time of year, rather than snow conditions (same thing I suppose), although you never know it might be open again in the next few days, but it will be brief now we’re into March. Shame really, as there’s a lovely new restaurant a little way down there doing cake and käsebrattel which deserves to do well.

You're quite right, I was unaware of said blue. I'm must admit to quite liking the shoosh at the bottom, and am not too bothered by the poling, but would prefer a quicker path to the lift station, which is theoretically possible, straight across the meadow at the bottom, but would need a new bridge. I will have to look out for it next year and try said restaurant for some tea and cake! Laughing Laughing
latest report
Big snowfall today - it's winter again. Most lifts closed unfortunately.

snow conditions
@telford_mike, my sources (well Steve in Central Sport posting on facebook Toofy Grin ) tell me that it was a wee bit windy today on Männlichen! Laughing

https://www.facebook.com/search/str/Central+Sport/keywords_search
snow report
Alastair Pink wrote:
@telford_mike, my sources (well Steve in Central Sport posting on facebook Toofy Grin ) tell me that it was a wee bit windy today on Männlichen! Laughing

https://www.facebook.com/search/str/Central+Sport/keywords_search

Certainly was - everything closed up there just before lunch. Now no trains to Scheidegg either Shocked
ski holidays
Wild, wild wild sums it up. We had one run to Brandegg then on to Grund. Very slow return on the train possibly due to huge build of snow driven by the wind.
Second and final run across to below Tschuggen then to Aspen and the train home from Schwendi.
The reward......plenty of good powder ON piste...... great fun!
snow conditions
I went from Scheidegg to Grund and then up to First. Huge amounts of snow, no amounts of visibility!

Sitting next to me in the cafe at Brandegg. Paul Teutul snr, from American Chopper
ski holidays
Deedee wrote:
I went from Scheidegg to Grund and then up to First. Huge amounts of snow, no amounts of visibility!

Sitting next to me in the cafe at Brandegg. Paul Teutul snr, from American Chopper

I bet Brandegg has never seen so many tattoos!
snow report
Multi-story carpark to be built at Stechelberg - Schilthornbahn.

https://www.jungfrauzeitung.ch/artikel/172236/
ski holidays
Top4 season pass will be CHF666 again next season. If you bought one this season, it will also get you a 50% discount on the summer lifts and railways in all 4 areas. https://www.jungfrauzeitung.ch/artikel/172245/

New snow last night, so lots of on-piste powder today. We did see a little sunshine this morning, but the weather looks pretty stormy for the next couple of days.
snow report
The Region to ski today....... Biting cold wind up on Oberjoch chair, some clouds some sun but best of all some fabulous cold powder.
We went round to Grindelwald First not expecting too much, what a terrific morning of endless fresh tracks on a completely empty mountain.....this season has not finished yet!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy