Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria Xmas Eve early closing

Poster: A snowHead
I'd be very grateful if anyone knows the answer to this, because all the powers of google don't seem to be able to help.

We're landing in Salzburg at 1430 on Christmas Eve and driving to Hinterglemm, staying in a SC apartment. I've been told the supermarkets in Hinterglemm will be closed by the time we get there, so I'm hoping there'll be one open reasonably near Salzburg airport or en route that will be open. Any suggestions please?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
RachelQ, I dont know, but we will be 25 mins behind you coming in from Liverpool so I will be needing a hug!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Righty-ho... you may luck out... so pack a bit of pasta and a cuppa-soup!
24th (Xmas eve) is kinda Xmas day here... so the shops are normally open but only until midday/2pm.
After this expect nothing except a taxi driver and and maybe a rental shop to be open.

On Sunday... nothing will be open 'cos it is a Sunday... (with very few exceptions).
Penny Markt, Hofer and Billa are all closed by 2pm (if not earlier) on the 24th
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you organised the SC apartment through the UK I think you are somewhat stuffed, however if you organised it via a local agent there might be hope, if you did you could see if they could sort a little shopping for you before you arrive, this happened to us one year in Wengen and the apartment owner very kindly made sure we had fresh milk, soft drinks, bread, even a bottle of wine and a Christmas tree Shocked
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty the Snowman, in which case I hope we're a little bit late and you're a little bit early - it's high time I had a Frosty the Snowman hug! Very Happy

flangesax, thank you, that's what I thought might be the case.

D G Orf, it is through a local agent, and he has offered to get us some supplies in. We've already booked to eat out Xmas eve and Xmas day, and I'm cooking and freezing a couple of meals to take out, so it's only basics really like (beer and wine!) breakfast stuff, since he says the shops don't open again till the 27th.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wine boxes at the duty free? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RachelQ, Probably not relevant to yourself but the ski lifts tend to close early too, which is too well advertised. You may notice hand written signs at the base stations a day or two before informing the time they close on the 24th, normally mid afternoon.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
waynos, we'll be getting there too late to ski, or hire stuff for the boys - that will have to wait till Xmas morning. We've been in Hinterglemm twice before for Christmas and I remember it all closing early - isn't that so the après can start earlier before everyone goes home to feast?! Can't wait - especially now it's started snowing! snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RachelQ wrote:
... the shops don't open again till the 27th.
Nah. Last year we were food shopping in St Johann on Christmas Day, Aldi and Hofer just outside Kitz were open too. And for Christmas Eve you'll find basics in well-stocked garages. If you coming via Berchdesgarten (sp) there's one or two on the road.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bode Swiller, didn't think of that...!! Yup the garages on the A10 services will be open and they sell milk for the same price as beer!!

(and the added bonus is that the A10 is also one of the roads that will pass you through the centre of the universe... you know where all roads lead to... so give us a wave or a hoot!!)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bode Swiller and flangesax, thanks for that. The route according to google was B21 and B311, but the A10 looks much more straightforward. It looks like we turn off it a way before Radstadt, so it'll have to be a very long hoot!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have had a look..... the A10 is miles from La Rosiere!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RachelQ hmmm i'm honestly not sure what is best...
Those B roads are main routes so will be clear of the buckets of snow we will get between now and then.
I don't think it will make much of a muchness... except if you take the A10 it will certainly please Bode Swiller more as you can wave as you leave St Johann, Alpendorf, Hochkoenig, and the Gasteins behind!

Frosty the Snowman, but the road will lead there... eventually!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
flangesax, to get to Hinterglemm I'd never recommend dropping down that far. I'd always go via Lofer. Gotta be quicker Shirley.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think according to gps' and google etc there is less than 10min in it.. so I think it may be a viable option if you like to drive motorways for half the journey... otherwise i'd probably go via Lofer too.
latest report
RachelQ, lets face it Hinterglemm is party capital......it will be Boxing Day before you realise where you are..........and remember http://www.goasstall.com/ does fantastic food and alcoholic beverages.................. Laughing Laughing snowHead
snow report
Smokin Joe, ha ha how could I forget! So excited! snowHead
ski holidays
RachelQ, Your best bet might be the Aral Petrol Station, on your right on the Glemmtaler Landesstrasse (the main valley road that leads to Hinterglemm via Saalbach) as you enter Saalbach. It has the usual basic supplies and tends to be open when the supermarkets aren't. I shall be in Saalbach from 18th Dec, so will be able to enquire for you.
ski holidays
Tatman's Tours, thank you, that would be very helpful. Very Happy
ski holidays
RachelQ, at this rate you'll have a whole heard of sH waiting at your apartment door with supplies for you Laughing
ski holidays
Michelle, wot, like a party?! Laughing
ski holidays
RachelQ, no... rolling eyes we know you and John better than that wink Laughing
latest report
RachelQ, The Aral Service Station (as you enter Saalbach) is open every day from 8am to 8pm, except for Xmas Eve and New Year's Eve, when it's open from 7am to 4pm.
latest report
Tatman's Tours, thank you very much for the info.
ski holidays
Some people around the world go days without food. People eat way to much.

Its good to just take a night off.
snow report
Oh god I'm reading another "we're all going skiing for xmas" thread. And some of my favourite people! And to @%%$^% Austria!! rolling eyes Crying or Very sad
snow report
Tarquin, Get down to Sainsbury's, they've got a special offer on snow shovels. wink
ski holidays
geepee, But they will be just a pale imitation of a snow shovel...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tarquin wrote:
geepee, But they will be just a pale imitation of a snow shovel...

Yes, but they've got bucket loads. wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy