Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski in ski out, or reasonably close to it in austria???

Poster: A snowHead
hi there, looking at ski holidays, following on from a previous topic, Pas de la casa andorra was looking like the place to go.

but also interested in trying austria, probably skiwelt area, or mayrhofen,although would be happy with any of the bigger areas.

thing im struggling to find, is hotels within 200 metres or so of the slopes. im not into this ski bus/15 minute walk to get to the slopes.

anyone got any ideas or suggestions, sure a couple of years back, elmau/soll had a few large hotels within 200m of the slopes when i was browsing.

budget is basically £650 for accommodation,breakfast and evening meals(be them included or eating out)transfers and lift pass. then £350 beer/snack on the slope money.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kev182, For SkiWelt try one of the hotels in Soll up by the lift and right on the schnee, either Hexenalm or Tulpe - don't think you'll find them in tour op brochures, best book direct. They should come in within budget. For Ellmau the best ski in/out is the Bär but that will probably exceed budget.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There are plenty of places in Westendorf (SkiWelt) with less than a minute walk to the boot depot (which is right by the lifts).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://www.clubhoteledelweiss.com/
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.alpenfrieden-kappl.at/ will fit your budget and is right on piste. Stayed there last year and was excellent
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Obertauern has probably the best ski in/ski out oppurtunities
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Plenty of hotels within 200m of the Penkenbahn in Mayrhofen. Mannis, Strass, Sport Hotel, Perauer (almost) Jaegerhof (slightly further) and lots of others. The Garni Glockenstuhl is a good B & B slightly further away but not more than 5 min walk.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kev182, I know I'm being a trifle predictable, but Saalbach and Hinterglemm both have plenty of ski-in/ski-out accommodation, and since they are surrounded by their ski areas on all sides and the pistes descend to village-level, they are more ski-convenient than many resorts. You can ski not only back to the village centres (unlike eg. Mayrhofen) but, if you choose wisely, back to your front door. The villages are also appreciably higher than many comparable Austrian resorts, and there is plenty of reasonably-priced accommodation and dining out won't break the bank either. Let me know if you'd like a copy of my fairly comprehensive guide, which covers all aspects.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Zauchansee
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you choose one of the hotels up by the Hahnenkamm lift in Kitzbuhel, that would easily fit the bill.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alpendorf in the Ski Amade region has ski in/out hotels and Crystal are going there this year. The Hotel Rothirsch is ski in/out & should be within your budget http://www.crystalski.co.uk/ski-resorts/austria-ski-holidays/alpendorf/hotel-rothirsch/
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
how about Kuhtai? short transfer from Innsbruck, Austrias highest village so good snow record and ALL the accomodation is ski in - ski out. Not as big an area as ski welt but a good little circuit.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Loads of ski in and ski out in Austria. It just does not appear in UK brochures because the suppliers know they can get customers from all over Europe without any of the hassles associated with dealing with UK Tour Operators.

If you are prepared to deal direct and organise your own travel you can find all sorts of bargains in the low season and well as high season.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
St. Anton, pretty close to ski/out if you stay up near the mooserwirt end of town. Convenient for the apres too..
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hinterglemm.

Most Hotels are very close to the slopes, many of them you can literally ski to and from the door.

latest report
Oberlech
ski holidays
bertie bassett, You are having a good old laugh wink Oberlech (or even St Anton) for £1000 all in for a week - flights, transfers, acc, food, lift pass etc Laughing Saying that, if you can find me something in Oberlech that does the OP's requirements for £1000 please PM me
snow report
Fieberbrunn has several hotels on or near the pistes, e.g. the Austria Trend chain has two right on the pistes or the Hotel Hoch Tirol only 100 metres from the main lifts.
snow conditions
St Chrisophe Very Happy
I shall be there on 14th Jan. Can't wait. First time I've ever done board-in/board out Very Happy
ski holidays
Inghams have a new chalet hotel at St Christoph, ski in , ski out. It's chalet board, around £800 for Christmas week, so probably within your budget low season. there's a free ski bus and reasonable cost night bus to and from St Anton for nights out.

Ah - probably not - I missed lift pass included in your main cost.
snow conditions
it's <£600 first week Jan. What dates were you after? Other new chalet hotel onthe slopes in Kuhtai is <£450. So should be well within budget?
snow report
erm was lookin the first week in feb, but things may of changed now, weve had a drop out and im at my back teeth now with trying to keep everyone happy and so tempted to just bail out on the whole thing. 6 of us were meant to be goin andorra the back end of jan, then 4 of us and another 3 going to austria in march, but it's getting messy with some people not wanting to wait till march, so rescheduled for feb, then others then moaning theyve only got a week between holidays.

I always prefer to use TO's as your not left on your own so much if stuff goes down the pan. (lost baggage one year on a none skiing trip, we had to pay a €170 cab ride to the airport to get it when it turned up, a couple we met at lost luggage we spoke to on the plane home, whod booked with a TO rather than diy, had theirs brought straight to the hotel)

last year we only avoided missing our return flight to the uk by chance and other peoples misfortune, there was a strike on in greece at the time, so no cabs running on the whole island, we managed to jump on a coach, purely because someone who was meant to be on the TO's coach had been struck down with illness and wasnt in a fit state to fly.
latest report
hotel panther saalbach. the best located hotel i have ever stayed in. 2 lifts within 1 min walk. ski back to within 50m.
great apres, good staff (but that will go no further).
snow report
Quote:

good staff (but that will go no further)

ianbradders, So it was you, Ian!!! (see http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g608663-d498777-Reviews-Hotel_Panther-Saalbach_Hinterglemm_Austrian_Alps.html#REVIEWS )

Agree about location (which also applies to the Hotel Eva next door and the Hotels Kendler and Peter opposite, and come to think about it, most of the other hotels up and down the main street). Unless a special deal is going, it's not cheap though - none of the 4 stars are - so 3 star Hotel Peter (or one of the many B&B pensions, or - dare I sy it - self-catering accommodation) may be a better bet to stay within the stipulated budget.
snow conditions
Quote:

So it was you, Ian!!!

ianbradders, To understand this comment, you'll need to click on "Honest Review - Hotel Panther" and scroll to the last paragraph!
ski holidays
Of course if you want to go self catering i honestly think chalet tatman is the best located apartment in the whole auustrian alps.
ski holidays
ianbradders, Cheers Ian!
Quote:

So it was you, Ian!!!

No denials then! (For once in my life have I put 2 and 2 together and made 4?!)
latest report
kev182, If you want ski in ski out in Soll try this link http://www.alpengasthof-hochsoell.at/ Rooms are basic, breakfast is good as are there evening meals. Even better No Brits. When the night skiing is on you can ski down to town for a drink and then get a cab back about 20 Euros. No tour ops go there though.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

No denials then! (For once in my life have I put 2 and 2 together and made 4?!)

Ha ha. No Richard certainly not me, not guilty. In this instance, it wasn't 2 plus 2.
It was 1 plus several others Shocked
ski holidays
Quote:

It was 1 plus several others

What - you and several cleaners?! Shocked (It sounds as if they were scrubbers!)
latest report
There are quite a few Hotels in Obergurgl where ski in ski out is a possibility.
snow report
boabski, hope you are right re the kappl accom as we are staying there in january. think i picked up on a previous recommendation from you on another post so thanks for that
kev182, I have 2 serious recommendations for you 1st is serfaus which has some very expensive hotels but some much cheaper and really nice apartments especially the ones we stayed in www.apart-luna.at. sitting above the village they are not ski out but you can ski back to the door. if you do a search in my previous posts (advanced search and search by author creedgearoid) it will bring up some details i have posted before and lots of other contributions from others. 2nd and definitely the cheapest is lanersbach which is linked into the mayrhofen slopes. here is my previous post from another contrubution i did last year-
Ok, this is my 3rd time recommending this resort here so people will begin to think I work for the local tourist board but here goes anyway.our group has skied about 15 different resorts in 12 years never going back to the same resort, except this year we returned to lanersbach and all agreed it was our best trip yet. the village is about 4 miles from hintertux glacier which has sking 11 months of the year. its a nice compact village with a few bars and i think 2 discos and some very nice restaurants one of which does an all you can eat buffet for 12-15 euro. price of a pint is 3-3.5eu.
we stay in apartments with 6 day passi ncl for less than 400eu. even though I tried very hard i couldnt spend more than 300 eu for the whole week and we went out every night! we did the whole trip everthing incl accom, lift pass, transfer from munich, flights, ski hire (exellent quality skis and boots for 70eu when you book via skiset ) insurance, 700 euro total.
i cant understand why prices are so low here as it has everything, incl garanteed snow, fantastic food and drink, great links into the mayrhofen ski area, its own mountain is really nice also,very friendly locals etc etc. volderlanersbach is just 2 min away but does not have the same ski resort atmosphere. mayrhofen is about 15 min away if you want a bit more night life but cant comment as we never went as there was enough in lanersbach for us as we are all on the wrong side of 35yrs old. www.gudrun.at were the apartments we stayed in just next to the lifts and ski back to door in the evening and would highly recommend.
LANERSBACH MAGIC
yeah it . is a bit long winded but you get the picture. the apartments were realy nice and 2 min walk to the gondola and ski back to door. they have 2 different buildings. and one is closer to the gondola so make sure you get that 1.
ski holidays
Here you go
snow conditions
Quote:

Quote:

It was 1 plus several others

What - you and several cleaners?! (It sounds as if they were scrubbers!)

Firstly it definitely wasn't me and it was higher up the staff than cleaners.
ski holidays
Quote:

it was higher up the staff than cleaners

Clearly the Panther has a lot more to offer than ski-in, ski-out! wink
latest report
It certainly does. wink
Outdoor pool, steam room, sauna and other extras. Blush
snow report
Quote:

Outdoor pool, steam room, sauna

I remember them well. Next time we get a bad weather day you may well find me swimming around on top of the Oetzi Bar!
snow conditions
Brilliant, shall we stop hijacking this thread now Richard? If you really want the juicy gossip PM me and i will reveal all for a hefty discount off the fabulous Chalet Tatman. Laughing
snow conditions
creedgearoid, enjoy Kappl. The Alpenfrieden was great - really good food and lovely hosts and right beside the piste. The apres at the Schafstahl is decent but better at Schupfa which is right beside the gondola. And then of course you can go along the road to Ischgl. Depending on how often you want to go to Ischgl you might be better getting a local Kappl pass with Ischgl extension - works out cheaper. 1st yr we went we took the ful area pass and only skied Ischgl once. The Alpenfrieden also has Zipfer as it's house beer Very Happy

Maybe you can recommend a decent (ie cheep n cheerful) gatshof for me in Landersbach then. MIGHT be heading to Austria in Jan with family because the deals ar sooo good and had been looking at Mayrhofen snowhouses (although they've now shot up in price)
latest report
boabski, thanks for the info re Kappl. we didnt stay in any gatstof in lanersbach but I would highly recommend the www.gudrun.at. you say 'family' is that 4 of you r are you talking about extended family 7- 10 people? we stayed 2 different years. the 1st yr 5 of us were in a small apartment which is about 5- 8 min from the gondola and you could almost ski to the back door. they then have a second building which is closer to the gondola and we (10 people)took both apartments there the 2nd year which was way 2 big for us as we had about 3 spare beds. those apartments were definately the better of the 2 options, and ski right to the door. theres a bakery across the road which sorted the breakfast and I already mentioned the 'all you can eat restaurant' and ther are a few others the best being straight across the road from the gudrun apartments (1st yr apartment)called the tuxer grillkuchl i think!
a few really nice bars num1 being the city bar, great beer and v cheap. if you want a more traditional type cosy bar up further is the bar owned by the hotel berfried. if you think zipter is nice wait till you taste the local zillertal beer NehNeh
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy