Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayrhofen Off-Piste

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've had a quick look on google and done a search but things are coming back fairly bare.. I realise it's not an off piste resort like St Anton or Lech, but.. does anyone have some experience with going off-piste (don't mean ski routes) at Mayrhofen? I really don't mind a long touring day or bootpack hike..

Just looking at the piste map ( http://www.igluski.com/images/_i5195370.jpg ) it would seem crazy if there weren't any! Saw a youtube video of the Rastkogel and that looks very do-able. Maybe even below the 150er Tux, but its a map.. So if anyone whose been could let me know if anything looked rideable (i.e. no sheer cliff drops), would be much appreciated! Gruebelspitze to the left of the Beilspitzlift in Eggalm also looks promising, and below Rastkogelbahn for first half or so...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've never been there (although have wanted to for a while), but I hear good things. From what I've heard, it does have a good rep, at least, ant the piste amp looks promising.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Timmaah, out of the week i stayed in Mayrhofen i only boarded there for a day. down the valley to Zell am Ziller presented loads of obvious side trail bits which were untracked, and loads of really obvious sidetrail almost everywhere on the hintertux glacier.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The_Doc will be along at some point to answer all of your 'hof Qs...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ok I can give you a bit of info, though usually best just ask around when you get up top/pub.

under the 150 is doable, if you go along skiers right for from the top station its very manageable and rarely slips, there is a route that ends pretty steep but isn't so bad if you go completely straight from the right side of the top station, the further (skiers) left you go the steeper and tighter the couloirs.. REALLY watch out for this it is very easy to get stuck above some lethal stuff there! it has almost killed me twice.

if you come off the 150 and turn immediately right (skiers left as you'd be heading down) there is a plateau, walk along this and there are two nice bowls, not steep but usually sheltered and hold the snow well. back side of the very top lift of rastkogel will bring you out at the fun park, its long, safe, not steep but has some fun terrain, just keep an eye out at some point you will have to cross the river and there are only 2 places to do this.

There is a run from skiers right at the to of schneekar (there are actually a lot of nice runs here especially down the right hand side of the red 27 run) but the steeper one is off the back if you come off the lift turn left a little and go straight behind the other lift. be warned this is fun but you must be 100% sure about the snow as it is a north face and slips a lot, often taking huge layers and trees with it.

other that the real gift of mayrhofen are the hundreds of fun sections just next to the pistes, especially off the blue 2 and 20 (babytour) and if you really want some untracked lines kaltenbach and zell am ziller on the same ski pass usually boast better snow conditions and fewer people. if you have skins, thats a whole other story and something you should talk to a bergfuhrer about.

OBVIOUSLY all this information is assuming you know what you're doing and have the necessary kit and common sense. If in doubt about where you're going, snow or weather conditions there are some excellent and very reasonably priced guides out here who can really get you away from the crowds, and the guys at the top of the penkenbahn always know the avalanche rating and advice for the day I make a point of just checking in before heading off as they may be able to warn you of anything the piste boys picked up on that morning.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
dulcamara, thank you very much! Especially the 150 warnings!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There's some great off piste in Mayrhofen, but it gets tracked out so quick! If you don't get a first lift, there's no point going. As above, 150 is gnarly, the bowls around the back of the 150 are good, the area between blue 20 and red 5 (babytours) is brilliant if you like trees! Watch out for a barb wire fence at boot height about half way down...

Personally, if there's a powder day coming I wouldnt dream of going up Penken (main ski area in Mayrhofen). Hop on the train and go to Ramsau (Mini Japan!) or train to Kaltenbach and hop over the mountain to Hoch Fugen, which I think has the best off piste in the valley. Basically, anywhere but Penken.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
huw_jenks wrote:

Personally, if there's a powder day coming I wouldnt dream of going up Penken (main ski area in Mayrhofen). Hop on the train and go to Ramsau (Mini Japan!) or train to Kaltenbach and hop over the mountain to Hoch Fugen, which I think has the best off piste in the valley. Basically, anywhere but Penken.

sssssuuuuussssshhhhh Cool
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Timmaah, Some of the above and a little more

Directly Under the 150 and the surrounding areas

Through the Trees on Blue 20 and also between blue 2 and 20

The Bowls surrounding Run 27 follow number 7 and take a hard Left.

The Area to the left of Run 11

Around the Sides of the Hari Kari between the avi barriers there is soem great stuff

Zell Em Ziller and Rastkogl are both great for day trips
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Been living and working in the 'hof for 4 seasons now and personally I don't know why I keep comming back. I can see why the locals have only race skis in their quiver, the off piste is realy inaccessable and dangerous just don't go there...or if you do then make sure you're fully covered with your pro off piste insurance 'cos you're sure to be heading home in a body bag.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Awesome stuff, how longish are the trains to Kaltenbach and Ramsau? Guessing Ramsau is a lot of tree skiing then?

the_doc, Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
train to ramsau about 5 mins , kaltenback is about 30 mins zell about 15 and then a 5 min bus.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Haha, it's possible he already found that out for himself 3 years ago wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy