Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

This wkend - where to go?

Poster: A snowHead
As I've mentioned on other threads, I've flights booked to Geneva, going out this Sun, 11 Dec, returning the following Sun. I think it's getting near the time when I should decide which resort we're going to go to, and then book accommodation!

From the snow reports it looks like Tignes is prob No. 1 pick, followed by Les Arcs. If anyone is in a different resort that has finally received decent amounts of snow, please let me know.

And can anyone reccomend/suggest somewhere to stay? There are only 2 of us, and we're trying to keep costs down, cos we're going again in a monh's time. Toofy Grin

We're not fussed whether it's half board or S-C.

Thanks in advance.

Tom.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ignor the reports. the tignes site says we had 10cm today but
took this 4 mins ago

oh, cleared the banister this morning
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wayne,YUK! Sour cream & onion? Shocked
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tom Doc, We are off to Tignes on Thursday, picked up a four bed apartment in Val Claret for £70 each for four nights on www.tignes.co.uk
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

YUK! Sour cream & onion?

As it happens, they are very tasty! Very Happy

The Hotel Diva in Tignes is worth a try. Reasonably priced for half board and very nice rooms.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not so keen on sour cream and onion after a 6 year old regurgitated them on the bus down to Chambery from Val d`Isere last year. He was given them for breakfast, with chocolate, whilst playing Nintendo, on a winding mountain road with a French driver..... what a surprise!! Sorry, cant help with accom, but you know who not to sit near to on the transfer.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wayne, and to be fair that is only a small tube of Pringles wink

Going green
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

He was given them for breakfast, with chocolate, whilst playing Nintendo, on a winding mountain road with a French driver.....

Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks guys, I'll try www.tignes.co.uk and The Diva.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tom Doc, Diva is in a really good spot too, just a minute or two from the funicular, fresse, laisse, and the lift by the slalom course (tichot? maybe).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The trouble with Tignes could be that it's the textbook answer. "Where shall I go early/late season for good snow?" It'll be busy.

I'd head for somewhere like Avoriaz I think, assuming it opens, which I think it will. Short transfer from GVA, Northern Alps have had (and are getting) better snowfall than as far South as Tignes, and it will likely be a lot less busy.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
paulio wrote:
The trouble with Tignes could be that it's the textbook answer. "Where shall I go early/late season for good snow?" It'll be busy.

I'd head for somewhere like Avoriaz I think, assuming it opens, which I think it will. Short transfer from GVA, Northern Alps have had (and are getting) better snowfall than as far South as Tignes, and it will likely be a lot less busy.

Thanks Paulio, sounds like this is worth considering, and one of the reasons I left booking so late. Can you recommend anywhere to stay?

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 6-12-11 14:34; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No, sorry. I never have.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Check [url] http://www.wepowder.com/weather[/url] for some recommendations.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Using precise measurements taken by the BBP ( balcony balanced pringleometer) I can confirm that in Tignes there has been precisely about a full dump today, and the dumping is continuing, so wednesday looks like being fun Toofy Grin

snow report
Wayne, you're using two different flavours though aren't you? Which probably invalidates the results Very Happy
snow report
Is the Smokey BBQ Pringleometer cumulative or discrete? What about wind transportation (before or after consumption)?

I suggest that you need to prove at least a King sized can to claim dump status.
snow report
avoriaz les gets looks promissing good snow cover not far from geneva airport 1hour infact
latest report
Have a look at Flaine, too.
snow report
Tom Doc: The valley town of Cluses is a decent base for a few days. Prices for food, drink and accommodation are a fair bit cheaper than up the mountains but it's within easy striking distance of a few resorts. We have stayed there and skied Les Gets/Avoriaz; Chamonix; and Les Carroz/Flaine. It was a while ago - so I can't remember the hotel name, although we just turned up in January and found accommodation easily.

Alternatively, if Combloux is open, that may be worth a look. Big area, close to Geneva, linked to St Gervais and Megeve - and cheap digs in the valley town of Sallanches, about 10 mins away. We've stayed in the Ibis Hotel a few times (see Accor Hotels website). Sallanches is also handy for Chamonix and other resorts in that area.

Here's the Combloux area piste map:
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Combloux/pistemap
snow conditions
Tom Doc, I'd say Tignes your best bet although grands montets planning Limited opening on the 19th.
snow report
I'm surprised mountainaddict, hasn't let you know that his apartment may be available in Tignes.

It may we worth dropping him a PM to ask about last minute availability.
ski holidays
Thanks for all the ideas. Lots of e-mails have been sent, so I'll see what comes back, and let you all know where we end up!
snow conditions
mountainaddict, that's an old Combloux map (we're not on it!). Here is the new one for interest's sake - unfortunately the area is not scheduled to open until the 17th though http://www.skiamegeve.com/fr/hiver/domaine_skiable/index.php

Was going to play the BBP game but don't have any Pringles here this morning, so will have to do the BBB game instead...

snow conditions
Wayne wrote:
ignor the reports. the tignes site says we had 10cm today but
took this 4 mins ago

oh, cleared the banister this morning

How high is the pringles can?

Here is some info about open resorts this weekend:-

http://pistehors.com/news/forums/viewthread/1064/#3543
snow conditions
miranda, Laughing very classy! Looks good.
ski holidays
The Balvenieometer indicates clearly a higher quality of snow and nicer decorative woodwork on the balcony. I fear however this attention to chalet features has been at the expense of showing the top of the dump.
ski holidays
Due to the highly complex procedures involved in correctly and precisely calibrating the BBP, in addition to the large number of monitoring personnel required, it is unusual to take an ad-hoc reading.

However, as the 4ft high balcony is now almost buried, it did seem prudent at this time.

PS - still dumping down
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Laughing yes, when I was out on the balcony first thing this morning pre-dressing, I was thinking "I know what will impress those snowHeads... a fancy balustrade!"

looks great Wayne - have fun!
latest report
Tom Doc, any decision yet? Saw elsewhere that Avoriaz is going to be 80% open
latest report
If your going to Tignes try the tTgnes chalet company they are good!
snow report
Once the clouds pop, they just can't stop, eh?
latest report
FastEddie, Laughing Laughing

Can't believe all that snow in Tignes! Having been there last week, it was hard to imagine that conditions could improve sufficiently in time for Christmas, but now... Really pleased, actually, even though we're not there to enjoy it! snowHead
latest report
That pringles measured accumulation certainly looks to be one mighty satisfying dump. It's a great word for it and we shouldn't change it.
ski holidays
Are we accepting the Pringle Measured Accumulation (or PMA) as the new standard measurement of snowfall in Europe? And are we calibrating the scale using the mini can?
snow report
don't fall into the crevasse your are creating on your balcony
snow conditions
Now standing alone, forlorn, a naked banister forsaken
of lofty peaks of dove white snows now alas by gravity taken
the sad and wretched stumps of once its towering glory.
Ner’re mor to tell of snows or dumps nor any other story
Sadened I am in pitiful woe and in reverence my cap I doff
The rights of passage down to depths when the whole lot just fell off wink
Down, down, down it flew gently sooth ice shorn roof and shingles
Oh alas will ner I speak of BBP and precisely calibrated Pringles

Yep - it fell off Toofy Grin
ski holidays
some joys are fleeting

but not for that small fault

less sweet or full of hope
snow report
sanman wrote:
Tom Doc, any decision yet? Saw elsewhere that Avoriaz is going to be 80% open

Yeah, and we're taking your advice, so you now share liability with Paulio! We're staying in Morzine to ski Avoriaz.

We're staying with snowHead DallyPaul so Snowheads is proving it's worth again.

Thanks everyone!
latest report
Chamonix is a good choice......went last minute....£70 return GVA with sleazy......Cham express 50 euros each way........Les Lanchers, half board 80 squid per night.....food was massive!......about a 2 min walk to the lift.....ideal!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy