Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix in 6 days - no snow yet

Poster: A snowHead
Hey,

Question for anyone with familiarity with Chamonix: I took a punt on an early trip to Cham (sat 10th departure). Currently only Grandes Montets is set to be open but it seems to be pretty bare right now. It is due to dump tonight and get some snow during the week.

So, the question is: how long does it take for the pisties to carve out some runs? Lets say snowforecast is right and 15cm comes in tonight. Will there be slopes by Sunday?

I'm preparing myself to write off the trip as going out to a ski town with bug all to do is an expensive way to burn through five days of holidays. But would like some views first from the Great Collective Wisdom.

:S
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If it snows tonight, it will be groomed by tomorrow morning (probably). If not, then by the following morning at the latest.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
15cms isn't going to groom down to enough to ski on. do they have cannons up there?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
slipper, stop running about in a panic like a little girl. Anyone would think you were a bond trader. Laughing

It's been hammering with rain in the valley all night here, expecting to see snow in resort when I get to work. Can't imagine Chamonix is going to be enormously different. There's also plenty at altitude if 2Alpes is anything to go by.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ok, it seems to have snowed quite a bit yesterday and is still set to come down for the next few days. So there is some snow, it is really just a case of how much skiing will be available.

Thanks for the responses - anyone on the ground out there who can comment on conditions would be most appreciated. Otherwise, I'll get back to running around in a circle hyperventilating.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
slipper, just keep your eye on the cams and the daily weather forecast. That should keep you occupied for a while.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Zero-G, I believe there is a phrase regarding grandmas and sucking eggs that is pertinent. wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The official opening in cham is the 17th any earlier would be subject to conditions. They will rarely open Le Tour or Brevent early and GM needs a lot, 1M+ before the off piste is safe due to the size of the rocks. They have some snow making on piste and with the half metre plus due they could well open this weekend. If they don't you may have options, day trips to verbier or les Contamines good luck.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks jbob. Not what I want to hear but appreciate it. Looks like I properly mucked this one up!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I don't think Les Contamines opens till 17 December. You could have a look at Flaine - which is not too far from Chamonix and probably the best bet in the area for early skiing, especially now that snow has arrived. snowHead Not many of the other resorts in the area were scheduled to open fully from 10 December, even if the snow had arrived earlier. Should be some limited weekend opening on 10/11 though.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chamonix.net reporting part opening sat 10th get in. Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well if there is limited skiing I can pick up where I left off at the PSB and continue my attempt on the record for most lessons in a season. Any recommendations - preferrably a native English speaker?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
slipper, BASS Chamonix. All English native speakers and all excellent.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
slipper wrote:
Zero-G, I believe there is a phrase regarding grandmas and sucking eggs that is pertinent. wink

That wisdom obviously wasn't in effect when you booked such an early trip for Cham, now was it? wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Grands Montets will open on Saturday (not the top tram though I suppose). Result.
snow report
Zero-G, I suffered a bit of over-enthusiasm/brain-fade when booking it, I'll give you that.

Anyway, have decided to go on Saturday, looks like I'll have some white stuff to slide around on.

jbob, just put an enquiry into BASS Cham so will see what they come back with, cheers.

davidof, are you out there this weekend as well?

:S
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy