Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice For Layering With A Marmot Zion

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

First time on here so please be easy! In mid Feb I'm off to Wildkogel in Austria with 39 teenagers on a school skiing trip. This has been booked for a year so I've spent my summer scouring sales and eBay for gear to make sure I'm prepared. As this has now become an annual trip I figured it was worth investing in some half decent kit rather than hiring all the time. Now, I've got the base layers sorted, some Helly stuff and an Icebreaker top and the mid layers aren't to bad either (Icebreaker/Polartec) but the jacket I've got is the new Marmot Zion. This isn't like a traditional shell in being really thin, however, it's not like my old Quicksilver bargain from TK Maxx and full of insulation.

Anyway, I was in my local independent outdoor retailer and they said that a) it's really cold in Austria at that time of year and b) the Zion isn't really warm enough with just a base and mid layer so upon their advice I got a synthetic vest to wear as well. Now, this wasn't the cheapest garment I've ever bought as it was an Arc'teryx Atom Vest and whilst it wasn't full price it was a bit of a hit.

Question is, have I been taken for a ride and would my standard 3 layering system have been good enough or, bearing in mind I may not be active all day as I'll be helping the pupils get up from falling over - a lot - and could be stationary is it a worthwhile investment?

Any advice would be appreciated before I remove the labels and have no chance of returning it.

Thanks in advance,

Ben.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Softshell jackets are fine, but the one you've chosen is pretty steeply priced Shocked By comparison, the Atom vest seems terribly reasonable. I use a Rab Exodus jacket, usually... its a third of the price of the Zion, and with the savings you could buy yourself a down jacket and a basic rain shell and probably had enough left over for a pint or two. I don't doubt that the Zion is a pretty good bit of kit, however.

Its hard for anyone but you to say whether you'll be chilly at -7... getting something to overlayer when you're stopped is a good strategy, but I'd have gone for a whole jacket rather than just a vest (cos I don't like cold arms). One particular magic phrase to search for is 'belay jacket', something that's generally designed to be worn over a conventional 3-layer outfit by climbers when they're not moving around, it'll be super warm.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the advice! It's been a good few years since I've been up a mountain and everything seems to have changed re: what to wear/materials etc. I had never heard of a 'belay jacket' before but upon looking it does look like it would fit the bill perfectly.

The Zion was a bit pricey but it wasn't near the RRP which is how I justified it to myself - a little spur of the moment purchase!

B.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Anyway, I was in my local independent outdoor retailer and they said that a) it's really cold in Austria at that time of year and b) the Zion isn't really warm enough with just a base and mid layer so upon their advice I got a synthetic vest to wear as well. Now, this wasn't the cheapest garment I've ever bought as it was an Arc'teryx Atom Vest and whilst it wasn't full price it was a bit of a hit.

They're idiots.

Quote:

Question is, have I been taken for a ride and would my standard 3 layering system have been good enough or, bearing in mind I may not be active all day as I'll be helping the pupils get up from falling over - a lot - and could be stationary is it a worthwhile investment?

Yes you have.

Obviously you'll be on a mountain, so of course it can get really cold - but Jan is usually the coldest month by far. For the vast majority of my skiing in Austria I'm fine in a shell jacket with a normal t-shirt underneath, sometimes I'll add a fleece (always have one in a backpack spare anyway). Very Very Very rare that I've needed more than that - even in the heaviest/coldest/windiest/snowiest blizzard I've skied in, base layer + tshirt + standard fleece + standard fleece + shell was perfectly fine.

Also, reading between the lines, I'm guessing you'll be sticking to the pistes - so at most you may get 5 mins away from a nice warm bar selling local schnapps.
IME expensive thermals and layers only really come into their own in less cold weather when you need to wick sweat away.

Of course, if you can afford nice shiny new kit then enjoy it, nothing wrong with new pretty toys!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
clarky999 wrote:
Quote:

They're idiots.

They had a bit of an issue when I was describing the Zion and what it was made of and when I was browsing there was none of the 'normal' high street brands, they were all continental makes I'd hardly ever heard of and when I broached the subject of some more 'mainstream' alternatives I wouldn't say noses were turned up but there was a definite 'sniff'. I know the Neoshell is a new fabric but I would have thought any store should be up to date with the new technologies.

I'm really pleased you have mentioned the temperature, I was worried I would have pupils dropping to the ground like icicles. I've told all parents they need plenty of warm clothes but sometimes fashion is more important to a 15yr old rather than warmth!

Needless to say, the more I look at the vest the more I feel it may be useful in the UK as well as on the piste and after a bit of online browsing I seem to have got a pretty good deal from them - must have been old stock!

Quote:

Also, reading between the lines, I'm guessing you'll be sticking to the pistes - so at most you may get 5 mins away from a nice warm bar selling local schnapps.

I wish - what with legal eagles on every high street nowadays easier to stay dry on a school trip in case anything happens Sad

B.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
clarky999 wrote:
For the vast majority of my skiing in Austria I'm fine in a shell jacket with a normal t-shirt underneath, sometimes I'll add a fleece (always have one in a backpack spare anyway).

Its the standing around being a responsible adult that's likely to be chilly. Not much danger of getting cold if you're active.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Serriadh wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
For the vast majority of my skiing in Austria I'm fine in a shell jacket with a normal t-shirt underneath, sometimes I'll add a fleece (always have one in a backpack spare anyway).

Its the standing around being a responsible adult that's likely to be chilly. Not much danger of getting cold if you're active.

Even teaching (ok, uniform jacket is insulated) 95% of the time I'm fine with just a tshirt underneath.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Never been called responsible before wink

Thanks for all the advice and the warm welcome. Really appreciate it.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I wish - what with legal eagles on every high street nowadays easier to stay dry on a school trip in case anything happens

No-one need know if you slip it in a hot chocolate wink Rum would go better though. But beware of Stroh 80 - it tastes of burnt car tyre.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy