Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Purchased 02/03 Atomic SX11 on Ebay

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

Yesterday I purchased a pair of 2002/03 170cm Atomic SX11, with Neox 614 bindings for £165. They've only been used 2-3 weeks each year since and look to be in good condition (having not had them delivered yet). Now that I've found this forum, I maybe should have found it before making the purchase, I have seen various posts about buying boots first so the bindings can be fitted. The skis I bought already have the bindings fitted.

I have just a few questions Puzzled :

1) Is £165 a good price for this ski + binding?
2) Should I have purchsed some boots first? or should the bindings need to be moved is this possible?
3) Are the SX11s "too much of a ski"? I've only been on two trips, with my 3rd coming up in March 06. I can get down all the black runs in Chamonix no probs but have read that SX11 are quite demanding. I'm 6ft and about 16/17st with good leg strength from time in the gym!!!

Thanks very much for any advice!

Chizz
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chizz5056, welcome!
Once you get yourself a pair of boots, then the bindings can be set for you, but you need to buy boots!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
was going to bid myself for them on ebay. Too much ski for me. At your size they may be less demanding. £165 is A reasonable price. Not an amazing bargain but not bad. Bindings are adjustable to ability and sole length (printed on boots). Bear in mind boots are quite pricey. Getting them off ebay is a big gamble as you are limited in your knowledge (no Offence). Phone your local ski shop and ask about some boots now . They may have some from last season. Be wary of them trying to offload you with the wrong type/size boot. And welcome to snowheads snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chizz5056,

If they arrive and they're no good you can always flog them on ebay again and hope you don't make a loss! When you buy boots though definitely don't do it on ebay - they need to be professionally fitted. There are lots of threads on here about buying boots if you do a search. When you get the bindings adjusted for your boots make sure you ask them to give the bindings a once over - never know what you're getting with second hand kit.

Only two trips? Was that of a week each? I must say you sound to be doing pretty well if you can get down all the blacks in Chamonix already!!

And welcome to Snowheads!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chizz5056, Welcome to Snowheads. I think that you got a pretty good deal especially if the edges & bases are in reasonable nick. I'd
recommend that you have the bindings checked for safety & also the edge angles checked in case someone's had a weird tune on them. Atomic angles should be 1 degree on the base angle & 3 degrees on the side angle.

This was a top end ski when new &, allowing for a few tweaks, is still a top end ski in Atomic's latest line up. I'm an Atomic fan as I like the fact that the more energy you put in the more they reward you.

If you were way lighter & shorter I'd be a bit concerned about their suitability but I don't think that they'll be too much for you at your build. If they'd have been 160's I would have snapped them up myself Sad .

Here's what techsupportforskiers.com said about the SX11 in 02/03:

"Another home run from Atomic. The Supercross is a versatile ski, best at speed carving on groomed or hard snow but serviceable in moderate off-piste work. Tricky in bumps, but a solid power carver."

Their test scores were (1 - 5, with 5 the highest/best):
Ability level: advanced & upwards
Carving: 5
Skidding: 4
Rebound: 4
Stability: 5
Quickness: 4
Tracking: 4
Weight: 3
Foregiveness: 3

As you can see, pretty damned good!

With regard to boots. Follow Beanie1's advice re a professional fitter. I, & many other snowHead's can recommend http://profeet.co.uk in London. I think their boot lab opens again mid/end October but call them now to rebook an appointment.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Chizz5056, i've got that exact ski. i've done quite a bit more skiing than you and weigh a bit less. i really enjoy them and would say that although £165 isn't a total bargain, it's a pretty good price providing they're in good nick. They're great to carve on. I have actually taken them down a skier-corss track and they were great for that.

The review posted by Spyderjon pretty much bears out my experience of them - not the best in moguls (but by no means a disaster) nor are they great off piste, despite what some people seem to say from time to time. I have two pairs of skis - the SX11s for on-piste and a proper pair of fat skis for off-piste.

Regarding bindings, I don't think they'll be Neox ones. I think they'll be the Atomic Device ones. Anyway, they're pretty easy to adjust for any boot. You certainly won't need to drill new holes in the skis or anything like that. As the others have said, it's probably a good idea to get a ski tech (the one who sells you your boots?) to do it. The bindings also have a feature allowing you to move them forward or back by a centimetre or so. This gives the skis a slightly different feel. I'd say experiment with it and see what you prefer. No hard rules except that it's probably a good idea for both skis to have the same setting!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy