Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mega noob question: get new skis serviced or not?

Poster: A snowHead
Showing myself up as a n00b here.

I have bought some new skis. Are they 'ready to go', or do they instantly need looking at and having wax put on them etc.?

Last year Mrs. P bought some new skis and we never did anything with them, and they seemed alright. But was that the right thing to do? Ta.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
paulio, Always good to get some wax in to the skis before they hit the hill, if you ski on anything other than the standard factry edge of 90 you may want to change that to.

But its not the end of the world if you dont either.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmm. I might just get the whole job lot done then. Got two pairs of adult skis, 1 pair of junior skis, and a snowboard. I was going to do the kiddy ones and her skis anyway. Think I'll just do the lot.

No idea what that thing about edges means, so I'll probably not mention that.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Skis should be ready to go for normal recreational skiers but technical skiers (racers etc) would probably put higher quality, specific temperature rated wax on them (after scraping off the normal wax).

http://www.j2ski.com/ski-chat-forum/posts/list/1437.page

Use something like this just to keep the ski wax in good nick
http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/2378/products/holmenkol_natural_ski_and_snowboard_wax_fluid_kit.aspx

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 1-12-11 10:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
"Standard factory edge of 90" is reference to the ninety-degree angle of the edge of the ski (i.e. when new, the profile is 90o). Some skis shave them down to an 89 or 88o edge for more "slide"....Most of us just wear the skis down to this angle over time anyway...
Chances are if you didn't know about it, you don't need it. A very competent ski tech will also be able to advise you further ....need to take into consideration ski style, the ski itself, planned usage etc....
I would get new skis waxed, but again, not the end of the world if you don't....
Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Judging by current conditions I'd recommend the following:

Take files, wax, iron file guide and polishing stone plus some coins, euros will suffice.

Using the coins first go to nearest junk shop and buy yourself a rockhopper pair of skis.

File edges of rockhoppers into some sort of shape.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes rock skis are the way to go at the moment .......

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/dma-thechive-11.jpg?w=500&h=339
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
paulio, wouldn't bother with a full service unless you are really obsessive about edge angles etc. personally, i'd just apply some wax then go ski them. some will tell you a hot wax to clean out the gunk from the ski bases is a good idea. frankly, for all mountain skis, it probably won't make much difference
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've only ever de-tuned the front edge of new ski's, i've always been advised by the shops i've purchased from that there's a factory wax and edge on the ski so nothing else needs doing althoug a friend of mine always does give them a wax - your choice I guess!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
paulio, Just pop down to the lake, there are a couple of water skiing schools there, they will see you right, you'll be OK Toofy Grin
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just ski 'em dude.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fatbob, all new skis want to be rock skis and they enjoy playing in the rough stuff. A bit of war damage is natural & having a few scars to show for it is their natural destiny & it's unfair on new skis not to give them an opportunity to fit in with their mates. It's the peer pressure see & I know it sounds like I'm lecturing but you just have to let new skis have a bit of fun. They'll be alright. Probably. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Skis don't all come from the factory with a 90 deg side edge, in fact most don't. They usually come from the factory set between 88 and 89 deg for a bit more bite. Racers would want more than this (eg. 87 or 86 deg) for a razor sharp edge, but factory angles are just fine for casual recreational skiing. So no need to go fettling the edges on a brand new ski. But if you are being really pedantic you might want to run a stone along the edges to take off any hanging burr left from the factory grind.

Factory wax is usually more for shipping than performance i.e. protects edges from going rusty in transit etc. But some ski brands eg. Movement do come from the factory prepared with proper wax ready for use on the hill. But far more likely to be storage wax on them from new. In which case I'd get them hot-waxed before use and then re-done after every week of use, along with an edge tune-up (the latter not required from new)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
HTL, how does changing an edge angle from 90 to 88 create more "slide"

I could understand if you increased the base angle/bevel but then you would start getting 91-92 degrees..... Puzzled
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I stuck countless layers of wax on my new skis. Out of boredom, as much as anything, but it won't do any harm. As said above, factory wax is more for protection than for skiing. They'll be fine for a while but I'd get a few layers on. Keep them healthy.
ski holidays
Paulio, with 8000+ posts, and coming from Annecy, I'd be surprised if you didn't know the answer to that question. I'm sure that nice blonde lady at the Salomon reception could give you some pointers. Little Angel
snow conditions
I don't come from Annecy though.
ski holidays
I would wax brand new skis, especially if you are planning on using them indoor. How many times is entirely down to preference, once or twice would be a good start. Racing skis, more so.
snow report
paulio wrote:
I don't come from Annecy though.

Well, in that case, here's my answer to your initial question: try to use those skis with the factory tune for as long as you can. It's probably the best tune your skis will ever get. Might need some wax though... When your skis start feeling less responsive, hand tune them instead of bringing them into the shop for a machine tune. Your skis will last much longer if you prepare them yourself. There are plenty of good videos on YouTube which explain how to fix and tune your skis manually.
snow report
paulio, I am an anal nut and really look after my kit but for new skis here is the process

Changes Edges to 87 for Piste skis and 88 for everything else (Including pow skis despite it being probably pointless)

Wax 10-15 times with two waxexs at once to get a good base (wax 1 0 to -5 wax 2 0 to -10)

Top of with a high quality race wax and polish bases.

Repeat as required through the season.
ski holidays
If you're going to be spending some time skiing on man-made snow in the next few weeks a decent wax will help the skis run a bit nicer, especially if we have a very cold snap.
latest report
I don't have the kit or the inclination to do my own ski servicing, so this is going to be strictly 'leave it with the ski shop reprobate overnight and see what happens'...
ski holidays
I don't have the kit or the inclination to do my own ski servicing, so this is going to be strictly 'leave it with the ski shop reprobate overnight and see what happens'...
ski holidays
paulio,
Sticking 'em in the ski service shop overnight is ok but as with many other things in life you can't beat a dam good hand job. wink (e.g. Car washing). If you are going to be in Annecy for a while (i.e. months/years) then it's worth trying to find someone who can really service skis by hand or learning to do it yourself. Doing yourself saves money and the hassle of taking them to the service shop. (Of course I give out this "expert" advice but still haven't sussed out how to use my edging tool Embarassed ).
ski holidays
It's good enough for me I think. I don't wash my car either. It's filthy.
ski holidays
paulio wrote:

In that case make sure you find a good ski shop and ask them to hand tune rather than machine grind the crap out of them. A full base grind is only really required when the skis have seen 6 weeks+ of hard use and taken a fair old beating. A numpty with a grinding machine can trash them for you in just a few seconds.
snow report
Fattes13 wrote:

Wax 10-15 times with two waxexs at once to get a good base (wax 1 0 to -5 wax 2 0 to -10)

Jesus, do you ever find time to actually ski?
snow report
Ski tuning simples - if it was good enough for the late great Doug Coombs...

http://youtube.com/v/4O5GUAtShiU
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
uktrailmonster, Loads of ski time, i do the two waxes at once a la Mr Coombs & get them done over a few weeks/months normally very early in the Am before the local Dry slope opens when I am awaiting clients Smile

Started this years new toys last week and they wont see snow till Feb so spread it out. Normaly in the waxing room preping race skis for some of the kids anyway
snow report
I just bought a pair of Salomon for myself & a pair of Rossi's for the missus. I've always done my all my own servicing & specifically checked with the ski shop whether the skis need to be waxed b4 use, they said a most definite no, tho' apparently for some manufacturers the answer would be different. I would suggest a quick phone call to the retailer & ask rather than waste time & money waxing skis that don't need it!
snow report
New skis come with a 'transit' wax only & would definately benefit from at least one proper hot wax application, ie with an iron. Russbost, that includes your Sallies & Rossi's.
snow conditions
HTL wrote:
"Standard factory edge of 90" is reference to the ninety-degree angle of the edge of the ski (i.e. when new, the profile is 90o). Some skis shave them down to an 89 or 88o edge for more "slide"....Most of us just wear the skis down to this angle over time anyway...

That is totally incorrect rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes

There is not one manufacturer that ships skis with a 0/90 degree side edge angle. Pretty much all ship their skis with a 1 degree base edge angle & then the side edge angles vary by manufacturer, ie Scott, Head, Dynastar & Rossi are 1/89. Sallie, Volkl & K2 are 2/88. Fischer & Atomic are 3/87 although some Atomics come out of the Sallie factory at 2/88.

Increasing the side edge angle increase edge grip when the edge is engaged. It does not give more 'slide'.

Well used edges my be dinged, burred & blunt but their angles do not alter.
ski holidays
Thanks for the clarification Spyderjopn!
Do you know perchance what Volkl usually do?! Puzzled
ski holidays
HTL wrote:
Thanks for the clarification Spyderjopn!
Do you know perchance what Volkl usually do?! Puzzled
Another newbie question..... sorry, Spyderjopn you seem to be the expert. I just took delivery of my new atomics from edge&wax. They put a leaflet inside the box saying they have applied "ski waxing iron to apply a full coat of high quality wax", finish with a "final polish of ZARDOZ NotWax to ensure bet possible...." blah blah. I take it I can just use them straight away? I am skiing only twice this year (may b 3 weeks, when should I introduce them to a professional?) thanks.. plimsoll Puzzled
ski holidays
Plimsoll, That sounds good enough to me. Sounds like they've been hot-waxed and finished with Zardoz which is actually quite good, but will wear off in a day. You can buy a Zardoz puck from spyderjon directly or from most ski shops so you can re-apply a coat every night - it's a lazy alternative to waxing and helps keep the bases from drying out. Also prevents edges from going rusty. The hot-wax will last a week at best, so probably worth getting them re-waxed between your two trips, along with a hand edge tune-up. Try to avoid the machine grinders if possible.
snow report
Plimsoll, like myself, Scott & his Edge & Wax team will wax new skis as part of their customer service.

HTL, Volks are 1,2 which is the same as 1/88.
latest report
thanks for the tips.. ski ownership is a whole new world for me, having spent £000's on rentals so far Blush
snow conditions
Well. I didn't. And they were great.
ski holidays
Quote:

Admit to being just as anal about servicing/waxing as Fattes 13 - must be spending too much time around the same race coach - just applied coat 9 to my new Salomon 3vs -( wifey is starting to get worried and reckons they'll never be used just put up and admired) - will probably spend another week or so applying several more coats.
snow conditions
paulio, I get my family's skis waxed using the old fashioned "blag" technique. To be more accurate we've rented masses of gear from one particular shop in Les Gets so each trip when I've selected my weapons of choice, the owner offers to wax any other skis we've turned up with as a favour. One year he also did a quick base grind and fill on a gouge in one of OH's skis. All part of the service. Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy