Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The useful wintersports apps thread

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I know there are a bunch of threads kicking around and a bunch of apps which are little more than gimmicks but I thought it would be useful to consolidate recommendations into one thread, and recognise that perhaps not everyone is an iSheep:

suggested format:

APP NAME:
SYSTEM: (reminder Android, Windows etc are also acceptable answers here)
WHAT'S IT FOR/WHAT DOES IT DO:
USER RATING /5:
HOW OFTEN USED IN PRACTICE:
PRICE PAID:

Relevant travel apps also useful here I guess. Personally my phone doesn't really get turned on much when I'm skiing but I'm open to being persuaded.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
APP NAME: Ski Tracks
SYSTEM: iPhone (reminder Android, Windows etc are also acceptable answers here) (what are these?)
WHAT'S IT FOR/WHAT DOES IT DO: GPS tracking app specific to skiing
USER RATING /5: 5
HOW OFTEN USED IN PRACTICE: Every day for a week last year
PRICE PAID: 69p

If you are a map geek then this is great fun. Seeing where you have been all day is quite suprising and its fun to see how much the piste map differs from the actual location of the mountains and runs. The app also breaks down each run and lift so you can analyse each run separately, very clever.

Great a preserving battery life on my iPhone4 as well so no worries about being left stranded with no phone (The app also cuts out if you get below a present battery % e.g. 20% remaining)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.alpinereplay.com/me/
I have not used yet, this but its free and looks interesting.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
(Raises hand and admits to being an iSheep Embarassed )

APP NAME: SnoVeo
SYSTEM: Err, well im using it on an iphone dont know which others it supports
WHAT'S IT FOR/WHAT DOES IT DO: Snow Forcast/Piste conditions
USER RATING /5: 4/5
HOW OFTEN USED IN PRACTICE: every other day or so, probably every other hour as the ski hol approaches!
PRICE PAID: Free I think!

Seems pretty tidy, gives you a forcast (cant comment on the accuracy though!?), current conditions and a video each week showing the actual resort (not sure how many resorts it doea this for!!)

I would reccomend it! Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There must be more than that out there. I've recently got a new android phone, I've installed alpine replay after seeing other recommendations, but wanted to load it up with useful stuff before heading out to the slopes and thought snowheads would have lots of suggestions for apps I've not thought of.

I guess there are the resort-specific apps that seem to becoming more popular now too. If there are more than one for each resort it would be good to hear of recommendations.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
APP NAME: Mammut Safety
SYSTEM: iPhone
WHAT'S IT FOR/WHAT DOES IT DO: Avalanche safety, includes decision making checklists, clinometer, compass, altimeter, avi bulletins
HOW OFTEN USED IN PRACTICE: Mostly just use the clinometer but the other bits and bobs would be useful if you don't carry a compass/altimeter or a gps that provides that stuff. Checklists are okay too.
PRICE PAID: FREEEEEEE!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
APP NAME: My Tracks
SYSTEM: Android
WHAT'S IT FOR/WHAT DOES IT DO: Records route with stats (distance, altitude, time etc.). Links with Google to upload data.
HOW OFTEN USED IN PRACTICE: Stopped me getting lost in the New Forest on a walk. Also used for cycling and to see how far I walk playing golf!!, but not for skiing.
PRICE PAID: FREE
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
APP NAME: Easyjet
SYSTEM: iphone maybe others
WHAT'S IT FOR/WHAT DOES IT DO: Great for checking cost of flightd and availabilty and you can book as well!
HOW OFTEN USED IN PRACTICE: hmmm
PRICE PAID: FREE!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
APP NAME: Ski School App
SYSTEM: iphone / Nokia Symbian - windows 7 coming soon apparently
WHAT'S IT FOR/WHAT DOES IT DO: video ski lessons - several different levels - beginner, intermedaite,advanced - expert in the pipeline
USER RATING ? / 5 (not used it - but assuming it's the same standard as their youtube video lessons (e.g.
skiing stacked) it looks like it could be quite good.
HOW OFTEN USED IN PRACTICE: ?
PRICE PAID: £2.99/level
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
APP NAME: SwissSnow
WHAT'S IT FOR/WHAT DOES IT DO: Resort info, webcam links, maps etc
USER RATING 3/5:
HOW OFTEN USED IN PRACTICE: Weekly. Generally good App but does not include forecast outlook or wind conditions
PRICE PAID: Free

APP NAME: Snow Forecast
WHAT'S IT FOR/WHAT DOES IT DO: 6 day forecast with freezing level and wind speed
USER RATING 5/5:
HOW OFTEN USED IN PRACTICE: Daily for planning ahead.
PRICE PAID: 1Fr
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
NAME: 2Alpes (and lots of others, see link below)
PLATFORM: iPhone
WHAT IT DOES: Resort info and contacts/cams/piste map/GPS tracking thingy/weather etc
RATING: 4
HOW OFTEN USED: Frequently for weather and webcams - I'd use it daily if I was on holiday in resort
COST: Free

This is produced by Lumiplan Montagne in conjunction with the tourist office, and they do similar apps for the other resorts they deal with. Worth downloading before you go.

Lumiplan mobile apps site here: http://www.skiplan.pro/iphone/beta/index.html
Review here: http://misplacedperson.wordpress.com/2011/12/12/im-on-a-train/
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
APP NAME: Sports Tracker
PLATFORM: Symbian60 (I use it on a Nokia E72)
WHAT'S IT FOR/WHAT DOES IT DO: Tracks where you go
USER RATING /5: 4/5
HOW OFTEN USED IN PRACTICE: every ski run for the past 4-5 years
PRICE PAID: Free

This uses the inbuilt GPS if you have one, or a bluetooth linked gps (I used my old tomtom gps receiver with my previous Nokia). It tracks you position all day long. Summary screen shows all sorts of stuff, total descent, av and max speed, etc, etc, etc. tracks can be exported and then overlaid onto google earth.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy