Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Arc 1800 - Les Alpages de Chantel - Advice?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi SHs!

I'm going to Les Arcs (1800) in the 2nd week of January, excited although need to kick my daily check-all-the-snow-reports habit before I go mad. 8 of us going and we're booked into a snug 8-person appt in Les Alpages de Chantel, through P&V - I see there's 2 buildings, but my main question is:

Which of the 2 buildings should we we ask to be put in?

From this tripadvisor page it looks like the higher one has the shops/restaurant/spa, is the higher one building 1? Our main requirements are probably - ease of piste access, room size/quality, proximity to the croissants/baguettes. I hear that there's covered access between the 2 buildings using the carpark, but any time which can be saved when getting breakfast would be good (actually, I think I read somewhere that there's boulangerie delivery?!).

Anyone who's there or who's been there before, your input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, I agree, try to be in building 1 (the higher of the two)... I hope you enjoy your trip, Les Arcs is awesome and Les Alpages de Chantel is a good standard of accommodation. The pool, sauna and steam room is a great way to unwind after a day on the slopes too and I think the majority of these facilities are in building 1.

Access to the piste couldn't be easier, probably a ten metre or so walk to where you can put your skis on. You can ski back just as easily. Room size is really good by French self catering standards and they are well equipped. You can order croissants etc. daily at the reception and you collect them in the morning too.

There is a free shuttle bus that runs regularly from the hotel car park down to 1800 if you want other provisions (there is a Spar and another, cheaper supermarket (maybe a Sherpa). You will probably come across the Spar first as I think the Sherpa is further towards the centre.... Follow the path round past the Golf hotel at the bottom of the piste and you will find another area with bars, tourist info and ice rink.... If my memory serves correctly the Sherpa is somewhere around there. Of course you could always get the bus to 1600 and the Funicular down to Bourg St Maurice where the supermarkets are much cheaper but it's a bit of a mission. The funicular is free with your lift pass though....)

Finally, just one word of warning. If you have read the Tripadvisor reviews you may have seen one from a fairly ticked off person who had all their brand new skis and snowboards stolen from Les Alpages de Chantel. That was me!.... I'm sure it was an isolated incident but nether the less it would be wise to take care of anything valuable despite any implied security.

If you need any other info just give me a shout and I will do my best with my hazy memory. Don't let my experience put you off, it is a nice place to stay and Les Arcs is amazing. You'll love it!

Cheers. snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the tips, and I'll certainly be putting in croissant-y requests in the evenings!

Yes I read about your equipment on TripAdvisor, not ideal. Luckily for us (in a slightly selfish way) we're all renting, so not so much of a big deal. But thanks, and I'll be warning people to keep an eye on their valuables.

The shuttle bus which goes to Les Alpages - is that the general Les Arcs shuttle? I'd like to know roughly what time it runs, although I assume that by the time it gets to drinking o'clock, the bus will have stopped, and it's a trudge back up the road Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
dmarts, you can download the timetable from this link (at the bottom of the page). Typically it runs every 20 minutes until 11.30pm. It's a short hop, just 5 minutes driving time, if that.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks rob@rar. Seeing as we're all able bodied (touch wood etc.), if it's every 20 mins we should probably just man up and walk... Then again, don't want that takeaway tartiflette getting cold!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
dmarts, it's a short but steep walk up the piste to Chantel, especially if you are in the top building. I sometimes walk back up, but if I've been shopping or drinking the shuttle bus always seems a more attractive option.

There's a nice bar in Chantel 1 called the Tandem. The owners, Oliver and Sandrine, are very friendly so it's a great place for an apres ski drink if you don't fancy the trip in to the centre of 1800. They also do great pizza and burgers with fries, and will deliver to your apartment if you're feeling especially lazy.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, I have a strong suspicion that we're going to be all over Tandem cafe like a... well, group of tired skiers. Thanks!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dmarts, there are far worse places. Make sure you have the flaming shots where you set fire to your mouth...

http://vimeo.com/21208407
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi. I’m thinking of booking Les sloshed de Chantel for end of March 2024. The reviews look lovely. One website recommends a car. Does anyone know why? We were thinking of getting the train to Bourg St Maurice then a taxi to the apartment.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Apologies, Les Alpages de Chantel!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This trip and this thread were 12 years ago Shocked
But I can't imagine why you'd need a car in Les Sloshed. Maybe it depends how much you want to get in and out of the village and around, but Les Arcs always struck me as a public transport place rather than a car place!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I realised it was an old thread. Been to arcs 1950 before which we loved. Not sure whether to return or try something new. Any advice?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd like to go back to Les Arcs, and 1800 was great - especially when going by train - but you'll need some advice from someone who's been there in the last decade Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ok, thanks
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Arc is a great resort with miles of skiing. Going over to La PLagne double it and you also get a trip on the Vanoise Express
From the train into Bourg you can get the funicular up to Arc 1600 and then the free shuttle to Arc 1800. There is then a free shuttle to Chantal
For general foot access, you can also use the free gondola that links 1800 to Edenarc/Chantal
ski holidays
Thank you. Anyone been to Les Alpages de Chantal recently? The trip advisor reviews of the apartments are rather mixed.
snow report
Quote:

One website recommends a car.

Any idea why? The navettes run between the villages and the funicular takes you down to Bourg st Maurice from where you can get a train to almost anywhere in Europe. Having said that we'll be driving down in a couple of weeks. With 3 in the car it is the cheepest way to get there.

@dmarts, sorry I can't help about 1800. it is close on 40 years since I've stayed there and a lot has developed over the that time and some things like the holiday camp have gone. Now if you want advice about 1600 I can help Smile
ski holidays
I have an apartment in Chantel area. It is possible to get from the Bourg Saint Maurice train station to that part of Arc 1800 using a combination of funicular and shuttle buses, but it’s a pain with ski luggage so your suggestion of getting a taxi from Bourg to Chantel I think is a good one. A car can be useful for heading to grocery shopping in Bourg, for a wider choice and slightly keener prices than in resort, but if you’re only there for a week there’s not much else you could use a car for. I’d only recommend a car if it’s the best way for you to get to the resort.

All of the Chantel apartments have great access to the slopes, offering ski in/out convenience, but it’s not as convenient for apres-ski as your visit to Arc 1950. Having said that, it’s fairly straightforward to get to the centre of Arc 1800, then you have a wider choice of bars, restaurants and shops than there is in Arc 1950.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy