Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

February Half Term

Poster: A snowHead
I was due to go Skiing with family, but the only time we can now go is the dreaded February half term. I can go skiing any week from Jan 1st right up until the end of the season. I hate queues and busy periods, but if i dont go with them in the half term, i will be going on my own Confused . So, how busy will this Feb half term be. Should i just go or will it be crazy and will i find it to annoying? The dilema is if i dont go, then i will be going skiing on my own. I have done this once before but i really dont fancy doing it again if im honest despite having a great week. Opinions on what i should do?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ricklovesthepowder, where are they going? Makes a difference to the answer to your question.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ricklovesthepowder, another thought - why not a UCPA trip during a quiet time? Will be far cheaper, and you shouldn't have to be on your own - plenty of folk to have a beer with in the evenings, and lessons/guiding during the day.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, They dont know, book quite late usually. They went to Kaprun last year during the Feb half term. Also what is a UCPA trip? I love going skiing with them but have not been now for 2 years. Just really dont want to be stood in a queue for 20 minutes then skiing down a piste that is to full and crowded.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Part of the joys of having children means holidays when other kids are around. I've booked a week in Jan & a week in Feb both during official school holidays. TBH I took him out of school last year & the slopes were almost as busy as the holidays.
The only grievance I have is that the weeks before & after February half terms are £200 per person cheaper.

I'm lucky as my son is 15 and we have a week together doing something we both enjoy & this means so much to me that the busy slopes is just part of it. Only need to convince him to ditch the board and change to skis now!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
shakeywith, i dont have kids, its with my fiancee's dad and her little brother. He is doing his GCSE's this year so he can't miss any school, hence the Feb half term ski date. I think i will just have to tag along to someones trip from on snowHead , or just book a week on my own somewhere! Sad Its so crap loving a sport that non of my mates or own family enjoy and that i can go with.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nothing wrong with feb half term. Nearly every week is a different holiday from some group or other.

The last couple of february half terms haven't been that busy in the 3 vallees, lift queues haven't been that bad. You will get much more fun from the joys of a shared experience and fiancee company than going on your own at a quite time.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ricklovesthepowder, you have a couple of strategies. Option 1 is to find a quiet, probably small resort that never has enough punters to develop queues. The skiing may be limited, but that might not be a problem. People will soon be along to recommend suitable locations, but it's not my area of expertise so I'll stay silent.

Option 2 is my preferred approach. Cross the Atlantic and enjoy deserted slopes and queue-free lifts. Our half terms works well in the States this year, as it's still low season over there. I understand that Canada works less well as we clash with some major school holidays. If you DIY it, the USA is cheap compared with a half-term package to the Alps, but the journey and jetlag are strangely seen as insurmountable obstacles by some.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ricklovesthepowder, they might come unstuck trying to book late for half term - there's already v little accommodation around (I've been looking for a niece, in an obscure French resort - just about nothing left). If you look at the website for Action-Outdoors, they sell holidays with UCPA (a French outfit). They're exceptional value - everything is included, including excellent tuition. My son in law is quite a shy guy, and he went on his own twice, once for skiing and once for summer ice climbing, etc etc and found it a very good way to holiday on is own. You can choose between half day and all day tuition, depending on where you go, and there are also some off piste options, at different levels (beware - the top levels are very gnarly indeed).

Given that you are very keen, I guess your choice is between a week with other keen skiers, with tuition which will really push your level (maybe get into off piste) or a pleasant sociable week with the OH's Dad and brother.

Either sounds nice - if the latter has to be at half term though, I think I'd go UCPA end of Jan or early February and really focus on improving technique. There'll be plenty of people round in the evenings. My son in law speaks zero French - didn't find that a problem.

If you do a search on UCPA there's quite a lot on Snowheads - and it's all pretty positive.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ricklovesthepowder, they might come unstuck trying to book late for half term - there's already v little accommodation around (I've been looking for a niece, in an obscure French resort - just about nothing left). If you look at the website for Action-Outdoors, they sell holidays with UCPA (a French outfit). They're exceptional value - everything is included, including excellent tuition. My son in law is quite a shy guy, and he went on his own twice, once for skiing and once for summer ice climbing, etc etc and found it a very good way to holiday on is own. You can choose between half day and all day tuition, depending on where you go, and there are also some off piste options, at different levels (beware - the top levels are very gnarly indeed).

Given that you are very keen, I guess your choice is between a week with other keen skiers, with tuition which will really push your level (maybe get into off piste) or a pleasant sociable week with the OH's Dad and brother.

Either sounds nice - if the latter has to be at half term though, I think I'd go UCPA end of Jan or early February and really focus on improving technique. There'll be plenty of people round in the evenings. My son in law speaks zero French - didn't find that a problem.

If you do a search on UCPA there's quite a lot on Snowheads - and it's all pretty positive.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, Cheers for that. I will look into that UCPA and see what they offer etc.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm in SW France this year and plan to hit the Spanish Pyrenees during my daughter's Feb break which is the same time as your half-term. The Spanish schools are out the next week, so it shouldn't be too bad, but no idea what the snow will be like. As Jonny Jones said, the States are a good option- see my tag line for lodging discounts at a central Colorado ski location about an hour outside Denver.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Personal experience of Austria is that it is not particularly crowded Feb half term unless it clashes with Fasching and I don't think it does this year.
People who complain about half term are usually those going to resorts popular with the French when their peak holiday time clashes with the half term.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We always go half term to Austria and never have major problems with queues. Having said that because we only ever go that week I can't compare it to other weeks.

We also only ever book flights and hotels independantly. It works out a heck of a lot cheaper than a package holiday during school holidays.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'd go for somewhere other than France at half term - the little places with practically no English skiers will be crowded too. Yes, lift queues may be "not too bad" (somebody said that the other day about a 20 - 40 minute wait Shocked ) but they can be nil at quiet times. In fact, if I had to go to France at half term, I'd go somewhere like Val D'Isere where the quality of the lift system and the extent of pistes means it's possible to avoid the worst of the queues, with a bit of local knowledge.
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder,
Go here for a full lst of all the school holiday dates in Europe:
http://www.wheretoskiandsnowboard.com/features/school-holidays-europe-2011-12/

You will see that, whereas the w/c 11/02/12 is the UK half term week, Germany and half of Austria appear to be taking their half terms either the week before or the week after. This very sensible staggering of the half term week should result in less pressure on Austrian resorts during the UK half term.

Interestingly, both of our apartments are still available at half term, which may have something to do with the hitherto extortionate prices of the flights.
snow conditions
Quote:

Germany and half of Austria appear to be taking their half terms either the week before or the week after

P.S. Also other European countries, including the Netherlands - and our particular neck of the mountains is extremely popular with the Dutch
latest report
Quote:

We also only ever book flights and hotels independantly. It works out a heck of a lot cheaper than a package holiday during school holidays.

Agree that it is usually much cheaper DIYing during school holidays, though flight prices can get pretty pricey if you don't book early.
snow conditions
T Bar wrote:
Quote:

Agree that it is usually much cheaper DIYing during school holidays, though flight prices can get pretty pricey if you don't book early.

Agree about the flight prices. We always book as soon as the flights go on sale. Sometimes as much as a year in advance.
ski holidays
Quote:

Agree about the flight prices

This calls for some lateral thinking regarding choice of destination airport! Some of the lesser known ones can be a fraction of the cost and still add only an hour to the transfer time.
snow report
Tatman's Tours wrote:
Quote:

Agree about the flight prices

This calls for some lateral thinking regarding choice of destination airport! Some of the lesser known ones can be a fraction of the cost and still add only an hour to the transfer time.

But they're still cheaper if you book when they go on sale.....
snow conditions
Quote:

But they're still cheaper if you book when they go on sale.....

Just been having a quick look at Ryanair and was surprised to see that you can now fly to (for example) Memmingen at half term for £80 return Sunday to Sunday, and for £100 return even on Saturday. Also Salzburg flights seem to have come down quite a bit from what they were. Easyjet are still sky high but can't believe that they won't drop. Haven't checked Munich yet.
snow report
[/quote]
Just been having a quick look at Ryanair and was surprised to see that you can now fly to (for example) Memmingen at half term for £80 return Sunday to Sunday, and for £100 return even on Saturday. Also Salzburg flights seem to have come down quite a bit from what they were. Easyjet are still sky high but can't believe that they won't drop. Haven't checked Munich yet.[/quote]

Only if you have no bags and bring your own aviation fuel wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy