Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

cheap phone calls in the Alps

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everybody,

While waiting for the snow season, I started to think how to stop wasting money on roaming costs while still having a convenient way to communicate with each other on the slopes. One of the options that I found for France is a PAYG sim card from LeFrenchMobile. The sim itself is not free and the calls tariff is not brilliant. Another option is Lebara (the French one). With Lebara the sim is free, the costs are OK and they only require you to make one call/text every 3 months to keep the sim active. The only problem is that you can't order the Lebara sim from the UK, so the only option is to buy it when you arrive to France.

Does anyone know of a better way to keep in touch with with other friends (or family members) that are on the holiday with you, but don't stay together as a group the whole day?

Maxim.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Does anyone know of a better way to keep in touch with with other friends (or family members) that are on the holiday with you, but don't stay together as a group the whole day?

Texts. We never phone unless there are at least two broken bones.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
wot pam w, said
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Buy a swiss SIM in Migros.
You cdan reload it on the internet.
All European (I stress European, not just Swiss) calls cost CHF0.25 per min. Much cheaper than any UK service.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
either that or an OK one from a kiosk.. when i first moved here from uk i got a lebara sim for my uk phone...still have it as a back up phone in my ruck sack..international calls are cheap, plus you get top up offers that are always generally good.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
either that or an OK one from a kiosk.. when i first moved here from uk i got a lebara sim for my uk phone...still have it as a back up phone in my ruck sack..international calls are cheap, plus you get top up offers that are always generally good.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When I lived in Courchevel I had a French Orange phone and used my laptop with skype for calling the uk. Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
LeClerc supermarket do a SIM deal, it was 1€ per month, and otherwise was PAYG, top-up doesn't expire though, which is often the case with French mobiles. You may need a French bank account to get it though.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
_MaxiM_, I bought a couple of Motorola walkie talkie things a few years back. Cost around £40 or thereabouts. Saved at least £80 in calls in a week (demonstrated as a month or so later, went on a lads trip and never used them and bill was huge). Most calls/texts are usually just to find out where folk are, hence the walkie talkies are fine. However, you do often find yourself on same frequency as others Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Some good stuff from my second favourite website - http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-roaming-calls

It's worth checking with your service provider about roaming deals they might not be publicising.
Otherwise a local sim might be the answer - but you obviously need to get your phone unlocked before you go.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boris wrote:
wot pam w, said

And me wink FFS,people spend huge chunks of dosh on a ski holiday...then fret about the cost of a few texts...or even the odd call Shocked If out for the season,fair enough...but for a week or two,pleese rolling eyes
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowskisnow wrote:
Boris wrote:
wot pam w, said

And me wink FFS,people spend huge chunks of dosh on a ski holiday...then fret about the cost of a few texts...or even the odd call Shocked If out for the season,fair enough...but for a week or two,pleese rolling eyes

Absolutely! FFS, I was out best part of last season, used phone pretty much as 'normal' and didn't really notice the bill... in the big scheme of things it's pretty trivial.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy