Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

polartec ski socks

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone tried Polartec ski socks? I currently use Extreme Ski XSKI by Thorlos but find when skiing my socks soon get sweaty and then chill meaning I get cold feet in the sort of temperatures we had last January in France. I had wondered whether Polartec might be better to wick moisture away (I don't wear wool). The other option I guess would be heated boots or boot gloves, but I don't know if they'd just make the moisture problem even worse. Boots are Salomon impact 8 with custom shell and were properly fittec by CEM. Falke do a non wool one, but I presume it will be similar to the Thorlos ones. Falke SK2 TL

Polartec Wintersports Socks
Polartec Power Dry Ultralight
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I use Smartwool and icebreaker socks, love them both but the Smartwools are probably my favourites.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Elmer, Cold feet like this come from the inability of the fibre in your current socks to get the moisture away from your feet effectively, the thorlo you are using is a man made fibre as is polartec, I would do as glp9 suggests and try a merino wool sock, teko, smart wool or ice breaker all make various models, don't go too thick as this will make the boots tighter, wool is very good at moving moisture form the skin and storing it away from you as it gets dispersed, man made fibre require heat from your foot to push the moisture to a colder area, if you don't have this heat available (after you have heated the foot) then you can't push the moisture way and ends up staying with moisture next to the skin....moisture transmits hot or cold 23 x quicker than if the foot was dry
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Elmer, Cold feet like this come from the inability of the fibre in your current socks to get the moisture away from your feet effectively, the thorlo you are using is a man made fibre as is polartec, I would do as glp9 suggests and try a merino wool sock, teko, smart wool or ice breaker all make various models, don't go too thick as this will make the boots tighter, wool is very good at moving moisture form the skin and storing it away from you as it gets dispersed, man made fibre require heat from your foot to push the moisture to a colder area, if you don't have this heat available (after you have heated the foot) then you can't push the moisture way and ends up staying with moisture next to the skin....moisture transmits hot or cold 23 x quicker than if the foot was dry
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the advice guys, however as I don't wear wool unfortunately the socks mentioned are out of the running.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Elmer, Is there a reason?

1 if a skin reaction, the wool in socks is fine grade merino and it is very rare that this can cause a reaction

2 Vegan? Look at the teko range..... The biggest issue with wool and vegans is the welfare of sheep and a process called mulesing Which is pretty horrendous and involves cutting the skin folds off the butt of a sheep (without anesthetic) who has been affected by flystrike, go search it it is grim.... Anyway teko has a no mulesing policy, they also use merino sheep from argentina and other high areas of south America where the problem of fly strike is much less due to the climate

If the above doesn't work I am afraid you may need to try silk or just get cold feet, some people just do not have the physiology in their feet to keep warm without help from wool or similar.....when they invent a man made fibre which is as good everything will be fine
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi Cem

Yes vegan,
I remember you saying about the teko range when I visited you and its good that they have a no mulesing policy. Whilst Australian merino wool production is particularly grim as you say, vegans don't use wool or silk from any source.

Whilst not as good as merino wool for wicking I had wondered if the polartec socks might be better than the thermolite based ones. £40 for a pair of socks is a bit mad though.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Polartec is like all manmade materials man made, it is plastic and if the physiology of the foot gets cold then it gets cold, plastic socks work well for some people but not for others

Until man can recreate wool fibres accurately then this will always be a problem...and yes £40 for a pair of sock is more than steep!!!!, I got given a pair of a polartec sock once but it was so thick it wouldn't fit inside a ski boot without the boot being much bigger, maybe they make them thinner these days
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy