Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Goggles advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I need a bit of guidance with purchases some goggles. We're off on our first ski holiday next feb and we're just in the porcess of buying a few things. Bit stupped on the goggles though. You get different coloured lens's for different conditions e.g. bright or flat light etc, what's the best all round colour to get? Or should we spend a little more and get one with interchangable len's.

The other question is i've done a bit of reading and it seems like not all goggles are suitable for helmets, we havent bought helmets yet but do if it says the goggles are suitable for a helmet does that mean they will only work with the same brand of helment or any? Is it worth getting the helmet first?

Would welcome any advice or recomendations.

We're going to les Arcs 2000 if that has any bearing on this.

Thanks Smile
Russ

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 27-11-11 13:18; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Doesn't really matter whether you get the helmet or goggles first, but when buying the second item you should take the first one with you in order to try both together. Some fit well together and some don't - more a question of personal taste and the shape of your head/face than brands.

Lens colours for low/flat light are mainly pink or orange, and it usually tells you on the packaging what conditions the goggle is designed for. Personally I think interchangeable lenses are nothing but a pain in the bum, but that might just be down to the type of goggles I have (Dragon DXS with a blue ionised lens for a range of conditions, allegedly).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks Lizzard, we shall do that, in regards to the order of purchase.

Ok so if you dont go for the interchangable lenses, do most people have multiple goggles then for different conditions?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Russeh, for a first holiday, goggles for poor light should be fine. I only have one pair, one lens and wear them all the time - though sometimes when it's very bright and warm I wear sunglasses instead. I've had them for several years and ski for many weeks each year. But as Lizzard says, you do need to try goggles and helmet on together. generally people find it harder to get a helmet which fits well (which is essential - they need to fit well to be comfortable and effective) than to get goggles, so might be best to buy the helmet first.

Don't let anyone persuade you you can't go for a first week's ski holiday without £100s of pounds worth of goggles. I think mine cost about 35 euros, 4 years ago. Bollé. My previous pair were a good 10 years old and the foam was rotting away.

Have a great holiday!

snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
top advice pam w,

i think it makes sense to get the helmet then the goggles and do as you have and just have some sunnies for when (if) its bright Very Happy

Everything is all paid up and we're really excited now even though its 2 months away Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Some good goggle prices at the moment on Amazon of all places. http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ski+goggles&x=0&y=0&tag=amz07b-21
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was in the same situation a few weeks back... I decided to go with a set of bolle nova (vernillion modulator lenses), which darken and lightens depending on the light conditions for £28. I also picked up a pair of lidl goggles which were cat 3 rating and had a dark mirrored finish for really bright days, they were £8. I also have a set of sunnies, again for bright/warmer days
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cheer chaps i will deffinetly check those out, not before finding an helmet that fits at ellis brigham and then ordering it online Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yellow is nice for flat light but if you wear them all the time will be a bit bright in sun unless reflective.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
An orange/bronze colour lens makes a good all rounder.
If you're within a reasonable distance from a Decathlon store, I'd say it's worth going.
very reasonable prices for very decent kit at your level.
As some have said, no need to spend loads, at least to start with.
My pro-tec helmet was £50 and is still in perfect condition.
My first goggles were from decathlon, costing about £20, and were perfectly suitable.
I since bought some £70 Anon with interchangeable lenses. I think the price difference can be justified purely on the lenses quality but that's not worth worrying about that in the early days.
Both goggles have the orange/bronze colour as the "default" lens.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kruisler, thanks - just checked and theres a Decathlon store in sheffield which is only about 30 mins away from me, how convenient! will deffo be having a drive over Very Happy

i've made a little note of everyones colour recomendations lol so ill just check a few out and see how it goes.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy