Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Unpronounceable piste names

Poster: A snowHead
Whilst we wait for the snow....

Some piste names are just not easily read and pronounced unless a native speaker.

How about this one for starters. (Native speakers are welcome to add the local pronounciation!)

Cornegidouille
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
korn gi dwille... maybe
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Corny gid dooey, shouted very loudly Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kor-nej-ee-doi is the closest I could get phonetically
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We have a Gypaete. I know how to pronounce it because I asked someone on a chairlift (my usual approach.....) and I also discovered it's a raptor. gee-pie-ett (with the initial G as in French George and pie as in Ginsters roadkill)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, Gypaete is "vulture" - Gypaete Barbu = Bearded vulture

People seem to struggle with "Creux de Formeian" here (can't even type it properly - should be some umlauts in there).

Not to mention the number of Santy Foy's we get (for info - Sant Fwah, ok?)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quite a few in Scotland - "Butcharts" in Glenshee springs to mind
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How about ダイナミクコース?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cornegidouille = alwaysiceybluethatshouldbeblack
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty the Snowman, I didn't know there is a Cornegidouille in La Rosiere as well Laughing

The English trying to pronounce Chateaux d Oex always makes me smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boredsurfing, is it pronounced Chateaux Day??
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Boredsurfing, the only difficulty is knowing whether the -ne- is sounded - native French speakers would also differ on that. Otherwise, someone who has owned property in France for years and, presumably, talked and listened to the odd real French person, would know. wink French people also differ on the sounding of final Xs and Ss, so it's legitimate to have difficulties with Chateau d'Oex.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
To help out non-natives in Scotland, Glenshee have their own web page with mp3 links to pronunciations of the Gaelic hills, pistes & infrastructures Smile ... http://www.ski-glenshee.co.uk/Gaelic
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just been looking at tignes piste map and there are a few on there.

genepy
rhododendron
aiguille percee
perce neige

not only the piste names it took me years until i found out tignes was pronounced 'teens'
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hutchy,
Quote:

it took me years until i found out tignes was pronounced 'teens'
Oh dear. It isn't. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I think you'll find it's pronounced Tig-nez! Look out for the 'piste l' (pistol) and piste 'h' (h pronounced 'ash' = pistachio nuts). Genepy is a local drink

In Meribel you will find that bambi has got seperated from it's mother as Faon (Fawn) is on the opposite of the valley to Biche (Doe). Geai is often hard for Brits to pronounce but when you know that the translation is Jay then just say that in a French accent. Also in Motteret, the Aigle (Eagle) swoops down onto the Truite (Trout).
snow report
Pedantica wrote:
Hutchy,
Quote:

it took me years until i found out tignes was pronounced 'teens'
Oh dear. It isn't. Toofy Grin

Shock thats what I was told. How is it then?
snow conditions
Give me a moment to consult a dictionary, so that I can work out how to transliterate it.

Bother, I don't think that's going to help you much, but according to Harrap (using the similar word 'ligne' which is French for 'line') it would be pronounced 'Tijn'. In theory, that tells you the sound of g followed by n, which is rather like saying nya without the a on the end. But, whatever that bit of it is supposed to sound like, the s in Tignes is silent.
ski holidays
simon_bates wrote:
I think you'll find it's pronounced Tig-nez! Look out for the 'piste l' (pistol) and piste 'h' (h pronounced 'ash' = pistachio nuts). Genepy is a local drink

In Meribel you will find that bambi has got seperated from it's mother as Faon (Fawn) is on the opposite of the valley to Biche (Doe). Geai is often hard for Brits to pronounce but when you know that the translation is Jay then just say that in a French accent. Also in Motteret, the Aigle (Eagle) swoops down onto the Truite (Trout).

Er, right... Confused

Anyway, I like the highlighted bit, it hadn't occurred to me.
snow report
Quote:

pistachio

It's an Italian word and is pronounced pistakio - a "CHI" is a hard K. English people routinely mispronounce the word - just like they mispronounce bruschetta (which also has a hard K sound and is brusketti if you're having more than one. wink

Foreign pedants, step forward!!

(well, this thread is supposed to while away the time till the snow comes).

We could have some fun with Val Thorens, too......... also mispronounced routinely. wink
snow conditions
I was told its defiantly not pronounced 'tig-nez' and that it is either teens or teen or teenya

but ive just been searing on how to pronounce it and some people also say tig-ness, or tig-nez

google translator seems to say teenya when you use the listen feature

I am yet to find anyone agree on how to say it
ski holidays
pam w,
Quote:

We could have some fun with Val Thorens, too......... also mispronounced routinely.
Oh God. Most people do pronounce the final s in that. It's no wonder people are confused.

Must admit that, when in England, I do pronounce pistachio incorrectly. But not bruschetta. Not just pedantic, but inconsistent with it, evidently.

Hutchy,
Quote:

teenya
See above. That's the closest, but with the 'a' no more than a mere exhalation.
snow report
pam w, hang on a minute, isn't the plural of bruschetta bruschette?
snow report
Quote:

I am yet to find anyone agree on how to say it

I think all French people pronounce it the same - that final "ya", which is very slight, is there, but hard to represent phonetically. We have a village in our ski area called "Hauteluce". One of my English friends calls it (not ironically) Haughty Lucy. I say "oat luce" but my French neighbour makes it a 3 syllable word by putting that small "e" sound (often sounded in French poems, to make them scan) at the end of the first syllable, so it sounds a bit like "oat-a-luce". But of course the two main vowel sounds have no direct comparisons in standard English pronunciation. Scots probably find it easier (the Auld Alliance etc) because the "u" sound is just a tiny bit like the "oo" in a Scots "football".
snow report
Quote:

isn't the plural of bruschetta bruschette?

yes of course, silly me!! Embarassed
snow conditions
pam w,
Quote:

that final "ya", which is very slight, is there, but hard to represent phonetically.
I thought 'a mere exhalation' covered it rather felicitously. Little Angel

That middle 'e' gets more pronounced the further south you travel.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 26-11-11 20:21; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Very Happy La Plagne
La Plang
La Plan yer
La Plan
take yer pick Very Happy
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, see above. La Planya, with the 'a' a 'mere exhalation'. wink Come on, shirley you must know that by now.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boredsurfing, bet you wish you'd never started this, now that not just one, but two wrinkly pedants are on to it! Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

That middle 'e' gets more pronounced the further south you travel

my neighbour is from Valence, so that figures.

I find "La Plagne" easier to say than "Tignes".

And whilst we're down there, how is "Killy" pronounced? Is it like "filles" with an extra "ee" on the end?

Boredsurfing, everyone knows it's "La Plange", don't they?? wink
latest report
pam w,
Quote:

like "filles" with an extra "ee" on the end?
Yes - 'Keeyee'
snow report
The terrible thing about this subject is that I find it hard to joke about it. I think I need to see somebody about this... Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Pedantica, whilst we're wrinkling away, what about a mountain restaurant called "Les Halles". I have vague recollections of being told that it was wrong to pronounce the "z" at the end of Les in front of "Halles". I've never actually asked the proprietor, which would have been sensible!
ski holidays
The French are proper @rseholes about pronunciation, it's not really worth bothering too much if you can get it approximately right. My GF did her year abroad in Rouen and could never get a decent explanation of the pronunciation of the name. As an English person you can make whatever noise you like and they'll still tell you it's wrong. As far as I can make out the actual pronunciation is a kind of honking noise like a goose, or a throat clearing noise.

I went with something between "roo-on" and "ron" but quite guttural and that was the best approximation I could get.

Having said that, when I was working in La Plagne French people seemed to mistake me for a French person all the time - apparently I'm a good mimic of basic phrases... Once I said a couple of bits then merci to a cashier and she started yammering away in fast fluent French at me. Then looked confused by my totally blank expression as I hadn't understood a word she'd said.
latest report
pam w, s before h generally silent/not elided, certainly not voiced in Les Halles.
latest report
bobmcstuff,
Quote:

The French are proper @rseholes about pronunciation
True and they're evidently not the only ones. Embarassed
snow report
Pedantica, pam w, Sat in the bar one evening with 'locals' from all parts of France all those pronunciations of La Plagne are correct! Including the harsh sounding Lar Plang Shocked
It then descended into a discussion about how to pronounce Montalbert!

OK then, how does one pronounce Reims Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Boredsurfing, you've missed out La Plangyer - which is how a Marseillais might pronounce it. I'm sort of following French RP - which they say is at its purest in and around Tours.

Quote:

how does one pronounce Reims
You don't even spell it like that in France! English soldiers brought back the pronunciation which became traditional in England - Reems.
I can't even begin to try and transliterate the correct French version! It approximates to Ranss, with the n hardly pronounced, just a tiny glottal stop.
latest report
Pedantica, Yep it's Ranss by a popular vote at happy hour but at least 3 or 4 other variations exist, with hilariously, the Brits insisting on Reeems Laughing
snow conditions
Where exactly do your happy hour friends hail from? What age are they? And do they tend to use a lot of slang? All these things have a bearing, as they would here. But I would argue that there is usually a single 'more correct' version of most words, albeit with a variation of vowel sounds - again as here.

I always think you can tell a northerner from a southerner - wherever the boundary is! - here, by the way they pronounce the word 'one' and that is irrespective of age and social class. In the south it's pronounced 'wun' whereas in the north it's pronounced in the way that I would say the word 'wan'.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy