Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rossignol S3 as an everyday ski?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking at picking up a pair of ski's as a everyday ski - basically 50-60% on piste, 40-50% off piste. Looking for it to be fun, not too bothered about bombing down at crazy speeds, instead perfer to look for the odd bump and jump and have some fun. I was thinking on Rossignol S3's (these were not on my radar until I saw a pair of 2011's at a good price). I know the S3's are a bit more off piste orientated, so how do they hold up if I am spending a day on piste with the family? What else should I be looking at, maybe Dynastar Outland 80's or similar?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've not tried em but I think I'd be happy with S3s for that sort of use from reviews I've read. Disclaimer: I believe in funshapes.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have a pair used them as my every day ski last year, keep them sharp for the harder stuff and buy long as they do ski short dont worry about on piste they are plenty good for that if you must go there Shocked
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Same. I have mine Duked and tour them too as they're super light and the rocker compensates for lack of width under the boot in the soft stuff.

Quite soft (but by no means noodles) and would agree with geeo, that they definitely ski short. Wouldn't touch one under the 186 for this reason but I don't think you'll be disappointed. With fatbob, here too, funshapes definitely where it's at and the S3 was my go to all last season unless there were freshies on the menu. They're no 165 SL on icy bumps but what do you expect?

If you've found a deal I wouldn't hesitate in recommending them.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi ac505. I've been looking for the same type of ski as you, a 50/50 that's also good for a bit of mucking about with the family. Moving up from Scott Missions. Did the Big Ski test at Braehead a few weeks ago and came away with the Atomic Theory and Volkl Bridge as my top two. I tried the S3 too as it was high on my list to test because of the reviews. I know they ski short, and actually measure 3-4cm shorter than the stated length, but I didn't really get on with them because they only had the 186 and I'm 170. I felt the 178 would probably have been right for me. They were ok but I found the Theory and Bridge to have much more grip in the fridge and were both great fun with a high grin factor. Although a fridge is not the right environment to see what S3's are really capable it may be a consideration if you are doing up to 60% on piste as you say. I'm sure they are great in the soft stuff though as the guys above attest. An 80mm like the Outland Pro won't really get you very far off piste. I would say that you should be looking at something with a width in the 90's+ and reasonable grip. Sorry to confuse you by breaking the run of positive endorsements but it really depends where you will be using them most.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all. Snow Dog, I think you are saying what I was thinking really. The next few years skiing are going to be with young kids mainly so there will be lots of on piste. I've read in a few other reviews that the S3's although excellent skis off piste are fairly average on piste (it's not what they are designed for) - so I need to be realistic with my expectations and intended v's actual use! I'll give the Atomic's and Volkl's a go - assuming Ellis Brigham have them in stock.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ac505, I had a pair of Volkl Bridges which I've just sold because I prefer the S3s in all conditions. It probably depends how you skis but I found the Bridges a bit boring on piste while the S3s are so much fun as they really do turn like a slalom ski on soft snow. My only issue with them is the length, I've got 177cms ( I'm 175cm tall) and they do ski ridiculously short, I think they are possibly the easiest ski I've ever skied. The Bridges are definitely more of a charging ski, not too stiff but as I said get a bit dull messing about on piste. I ski mostly in Scotland so I'm using these skis on very mixed conditions.

Note obviously none of these skis are great on ice, I have a proper pair of SL skis for that but the S3s are the closest thing I've skis for ease of turning and carving and I happily ski them on piste all day as long as it's not rock hard ice when to be honest I usually won't be skiing.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think it depends more on whether that 50-60% on-piste is likely to be mostly hardpack or soft fresh snow i.e. where and when you intend to ski. I would imagine the S3 would make an excellent everyday ski somewhere like Whistler, Banff etc but wouldn't be such a great choice somewhere like Kitzbuhel. Horses for courses. If I was skiing in Europe I'd probably look for something a bit narrower with better edge grip on hardpack, such as Movement Jams or similar.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy