Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites Weather/Snow Report (& useful links) 2023/24

Poster: A snowHead
Following Snow at Seceda today, I thought it was time to start a new thread

I shall start with this link (just for the Pre-Birthday-Bash peeps!!)

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/veneto/belluno/lago-di-alleghe.html

View includes Sport Hotel
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Excellent Eh oh!
Off to Selva in January so will be watching with interest.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And here is the news:

https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/Dolomiti-Super-Stories/dss/Novit--impianti-e-piste-
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Every year I send a message to the tourist office asking why Maserai in AB is uncovered Very Happy the standard reply is the we appreciate your feedback bla bla bla ,so disappointed that nothing has changed once again. It could be one of those pistes that you repeat and repeat, it is beautiful, the wind on the way up just puts us off, shame.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Peter S wrote:
And here is the news:

https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/Dolomiti-Super-Stories/dss/Novit--impianti-e-piste-

Anyone have an idea what "Complete overhaul of the Vallon 2-seat chair lift" means? New lift or refurb?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It’ll be a refurbishment it’s only 20 years old. Cable, motor, grips, pylon wheels, bullwheel etc. I carnt imagine there has ever been a queue for that lift. It already moves up to 1200 per hour and never seems that busy.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Probably new seats as well -- the Arlara has been given some snazzy Yellow and Black ones
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Harrow lady wrote:
Every year I send a message to the tourist office asking why Maserai in AB is uncovered Very Happy the standard reply is the we appreciate your feedback bla bla bla ,so disappointed that nothing has changed once again. It could be one of those pistes that you repeat and repeat, it is beautiful, the wind on the way up just puts us off, shame.

It's probably the fact that the lift is so unpleasant that makes the runs so nice and mostly quiet Puzzled. It is a strange bit of hill even if you come up from the other side you get blasted by the wind that way also.
Good place to test how good your gloves are.
Must be the coldest lift in the area ?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Two trips planned booked to the dollies this year already, and there may be one or two further in the offing!

Hope all snowHead have a great season
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Garfield wrote:
Harrow lady wrote:

It's probably the fact that the lift is so unpleasant that makes the runs so nice and mostly quiet Puzzled. It is a strange bit of hill even if you come up from the other side you get blasted by the wind that way also.
Good place to test how good your gloves are.
Must be the coldest lift in the area ?

It is not nicknamed 'Misery' for nothing !!!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It does seem noticeably windy there compared to other parts of the SR. Perhaps the elevated ‘moorland’ topography funnels the air between the Marmalada and the Tofana and cannot provide any shelter over a long stretch of the lift?
I wonder if the exposure is a factor limiting the use of wind covers, because they may reduce the operating range of the lift?, Or perhaps it’s simply cost ! No doubt its preferable to the tbar which was there in 1986 Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I spotted this on the new lifts and slopes page.

Quote:
Redeveloping the La Baita slope.

I wonder if this is doing something about the steepish bit of slope below the Prolongia II chairlift that is always carnage. It would be nice if it is.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
olderscot wrote:
I spotted this on the new lifts and slopes page.

Quote:
Redeveloping the La Baita slope.

I wonder if this is doing something about the steepish bit of slope below the Prolongia II chairlift that is always carnage. It would be nice if it is.

Ahh - the 'Infamous' Blue Eight...! : would be good
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It certainly sounds like it could be the right place. It's just after the 'La Baita' restaurant.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bit more info here
https://www-seilbahn-net.translate.goog/sn/berichte/bericht.php?news=12603&kategorie=4&klickpass=agh586zyf&_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp
latest report
Anyone able to recommend handy ski in ski out accommodation on the Venice side of the Dolomites? Ideally beside some slopes and lifts suitable for kids?

Already booked for Passo San Pellegrino but might squeeze in another trip via Venice. Passo Tonale a bit too far, would otherwise fit the bill.

If it had a pool and was reasonably close to that hidden valley run even better!
ski holidays

Kronplatz today….

It has begun…….
ski holidays
Quote:

Anyone able to recommend handy ski in ski out accommodation on the Venice side of the Dolomites? Ideally beside some slopes and lifts suitable for kids?

Already booked for Passo San Pellegrino but might squeeze in another trip via Venice. Passo Tonale a bit too far, would otherwise fit the bill.

If it had a pool and was reasonably close to that hidden valley run even better!

You could check out the Hotel Arlara in Corvara. I haven't stayed there, but have skied past it many time. Some friends have stayed there and liked it. It's right on the slopes, ski down a blue to get to Corvara and the ski lessons or take the Arlara chairlift up to the Alta Badia plateau for lots of easy skiing (and to head over to hidden valley).

Mind you, it might be positioning itself as a fancy, romantic hotel so might not be very child friendly or affordable.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 1-11-23 11:10; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Thanks & was in corvara before and it definitely ticks the easy blues box (and is drop dead gorgeous round there)
ski holidays
Not stayed here but sits on the slope just above gondola station. Seems to get good reviews online (and from a few SH on here)

https://www.frohsinn.it/en/

B&B and San Cassiano is a bit sleepy - most restaurants are in hotels apart from a good bar/pizza joint near the church.
latest report
Both very much on brief thanks. Suspect my bigger problem will be looking to book only a Fri - Mon in early Feb - they'll want a week. Airbnb tends to be better for those kind of bookings.
latest report
8611 wrote:

@8611, You didn't say if you were looking for hotel or self catering accommodation. If the latter is acceptable then some years ago I stayed in these apartments in Colfosco, just a very short walk across the other side of the road and you're on the gentle blue slope underneath the Sodlisia chair. I've given the link to their website, they are also on booking.com but check to see if you get a better deal booking directly with the apartments. You said you've stayed in Corvara before, so you'll probably know that the blue slope in Colfosco underneath the Sodlisia chair is very wide and gentle and ideal for kids.
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink, thanks, yes I think my 3 year old did his first skiing under that lift
snow conditions
Re. your accommodation question, we have stayed at this hotel in Arabba several times and it's fab - highly recommended. It is ski-in ski-out as long as you can cope with a well-used off-piste track which comes off the blue home piste just above the Burz chair lift (see photo on hotel website home page). Our daughter and friends' children managed it from quite an early age.

The hotel also offers apartments with meals at the hotel included.

https://www.alpenrosearabba.it/en/
latest report
Wow that looks perfect - I have found memories of a brief excursion off the Sella Ronda into arraba tempted by a very steep black that was hanging there

So many options now thanks snowHead s
snow conditions
8611 wrote:
Wow that looks perfect - I have found memories of a brief excursion off the Sella Ronda into arraba tempted by a very steep black that was hanging there

So many options now thanks snowHead s

You can also ski down the black to get back to the hotel. It is possible to do the Hidden Valley in an afternoon if you don't hang around. We used to pick up the children from morning ski school, eat a quick lunch in Mr X (right next to the Burz lift and great burgers and schnitzel) and then go and do the Hidden Valley circuit. We always managed to get back before the lifts closed!

Going to Colfosco rather than Arabba this Christmas now as our daughter's partner is a beginner and it's a better location for him.
snow report
It is upon us, there's snow atop Dantercepies!

The daily looks at the forecast, the interminable wait for the valgardena.com website to update the 350 bus timetable.

Last December was epic, loads of snow, sunshine , empty piste.

On a sad note, La Bula is closed permanently. I don't know what will replace it but it was the most solid option for great, well priced food in Selva.
latest report
@sean1967, That is interesting -- looks like it may been 'absorbed' by an extension to the Hotel Stella ??

https://tinyurl.com/5bvrcr7a :: Google Street View image of Hotel Stella, Selva undergoing 'revamp'

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 2-11-23 21:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@FionaG, thanks. God I just love the Dolomites, jealous of you being over for Christmas, enjoy!
snow report
Hotel Posta Zirm in Corvara is a stone throw from Col Alt gondola - practically ski in, not quite ski out as there is a slope up to the gondola. They do a very good brekkie and excellent dinner. Also excellent pizzas if you happen to be there for lunch and they have a pool.
snow report
Really coming down today....nice!
https://www.altabadia.org/en/info-service/alta-badia-webcam.html
ski holidays
Simon94 wrote:
Really coming down today....nice!

And here’s the view of Arabba…

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/veneto/belluno/arabba.html
snow report
albob wrote:
@sean1967, That is interesting -- looks like it may been 'absorbed' by an extension to the Hotel Stella ??

https://tinyurl.com/5bvrcr7a :: Google Street View image of Hotel Stella, Selva undergoing 'revamp'

If I remember correctly, all the refurbishment work was completed for last season. La Bula was still open. I hope whatever replaces it is similar in price and service, it was a great place to nip in and grab a pizza and half litre of wine.
snow report
sean1967 wrote:
albob wrote:

If I remember correctly, all the refurbishment work was completed for last season. La Bula was still open. I hope whatever replaces it is similar in price and service, it was a great place to nip in and grab a pizza and half litre of wine.

That would explain why the Stella costs a lot more this year..!
snow conditions
Good news. The Kronplatians are making snow Cool

https://www.bergfex.com/kronplatz/webcams/c14486/
Their target date for opening is Saturday the 25th of November. Cortina, Val di Femme and San Pellegrino are also aiming to open the same day.

Last year Kronplatz made snow for 15 days over a period of 3 weeks. They opened on the 26th November with 28 kms of runs served by 8 gondolas and 4 chairlifts. They remained open until the end of April in what I think was a record season for ticket sales across the Dolomiti Superski area.

Just up the road from Kronplatz the target opening date for the Sella Ronda is an ambitious 5th of December, which would be impressive!

Given the record breaking heat over the last 12 months the start of this season has been looking problematic as background temperatures struggle to cool. Achieving the opening dates will be a challenge but at least a start has been made and the recent natural snow should help. There are now 22 days left to get sufficient cover down for opening.

The current outlook to the middle of November seems unsettled and a bit mild. Snowmaking May be possible on the higher runs if the air remains dry enough. Hopefully things will cool down sufficiently so that they can open on target. snowHead
snow conditions
Looks like a reasonable spell of snowmaking in the forecast over the next 5 days or so.
ski holidays
Snowmaking is ongoing at Kronplatz.

Their Dolomiti neighbours, the Gardainians, the Colfoscans, the Corvarans, the Compolongans, and of course, the Arrabians, are now also making snow Laughing

https://www.bergfex.com/alta-badia/webcams/c14192/
latest report
albob wrote:
Following Snow at Seceda today, I thought it was time to start a new thread

I shall start with this link (just for the Pre-Birthday-Bash peeps!!)

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/veneto/belluno/lago-di-alleghe.html

View includes Sport Hotel

Ooh, I see the area of the lake in front of the Sport Hotel now has a patch of ice forming on its surface, always a good sign. Very Happy
snow report
@Alastair Pink, not sure that’s ice, looks like mud. snowHead
snow report
For val Gardena webcams I find this best:

https://www.valgardena.it/en/webcams/

clickmap.

Toofy Grin

The Alta Badia is not as good:

noor Arabba:

https://www.arabba.it/en/webcam-arabba-dolomites/43-0.html

noor Val di Fassa:

https://www.arabba.it/en/webcam-arabba-dolomites/43-0.html

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 8-11-23 13:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy