Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Innsbruck & Tirol 23/24 Snow

Poster: A snowHead
Later than ever before, but Stubai today opened for skiing for this winter. Conditions look, uh, sporty...

https://www.bergfex.at/stubaier-gletscher/webcams/

Beautiful hiking and biking conditions lately though, here in Senderstal (behind Axamer Lizum and the Kalkkögel mountains):

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The next generation world freeride champ right there chill in his back-pack....have a great season Mr Clarkleberry, not long to wait i'm sure.... hope we catch up January, staying in Schnann 9 nights
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks @Markymark29! Gonna be an interesting season - my first since 2008 without a season pass, so lots of touring!

When in Jan are you out? We’re away chasing summer and building sand castles from mid Jan til the end of Feb, but I guess you’re back out later in the season too?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Those webcam images make Hintertux look very appealing in comparison Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another dusting for the higher peaks last weekend, here at Serfaus:

Every bit as cold, wet and slippy as it sounds...

http://youtube.com/v/cj4O_9SbNFs

But v nice lower down

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Fab
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Heavy rain/snow the last couple of days = 50/60cms on the glaciers, snowline around ~800m (now higher and not much that low) and the first ski tourers underway at Axamer Lizum... Slowly starting to feel like time for ski season again Smile

Christmas Tree is now up in Innsbruck too, and the Christmas Markets will open in two weeks (15th November).

http://youtube.com/v/8m9JE1dX6yw
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What's better than new snow photos? New snow photos under the northern lights!

Normally very rare (~1 once every 11 years apparently), but last night was the second time this autumn.

Axamer Lizum webcam:

Patscherkofel webcam:

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Crazy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wow!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Fantastic pictures!

Looks like another big dump for the Tirol region. Looking forward to more pictures now Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@clarky999,
Quote:

When in Jan are you out? We’re away chasing summer and building sand castles from mid Jan til the end of Feb, but I guess you’re back out later in the season too?

Apologies didn't reply.....only planning a 10 day visit January 19-29 next season staying down the valley in Schnann, no plans for a return later unfortunately, got a T6.1 van conversion project looming so need to pile any spare money into that. Hoping to have it ready for summer so we will be able to get down to Tirol for 2 weeks August and do some touring about (well if it ever turns up from VW that is) so can catch up then. Where you chasing the summer to, southern hemisphere, that's a long time on the beach?!

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 7-11-23 12:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I should be up at Stubai Gletscher this weekend with a colleague, so getting the first use of my Snowcard outside of the Zillertal valley.

Looking forward to seeing somewhere else other than Hintertux. Will report back in due time!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Opening day at Axamer Lizum, so I snagged a couple of turns in the morning:

http://youtube.com/v/ezhRmbk1wdY

Not as much snow as the real Nordstau spots, but onpiste powder was still pretty nice for my first turns of the season! Cold too, and there was ~5cm of snow in the city this morning.

Really no base / lot of rocks offpiste still, probably thanks to the rain earlier this week. Road up was a shitshow with ~20 Germans and Italians without winter tyres spinning wheels and blocking the road while trying to put chains on...

Should be more snow this eve and next week, and the Nordstau spots like Nordkette, Arlberg and Seefeld should be in pretty good shape. The glaciers should be pretty loaded by now too.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nice.
snow conditions
Leogang over in Salzburgerland also opened today, a week earlier than planned - albeit with just the upper slopes open. Looking at the webcams on Bergfex it was blowing a blizzard up there all day, but there seemed to be plenty of people on the slopes and lots of skis lined up outside the Alte Schmiede restaurant.
ski holidays
Freezing cold -22c at 3200m with fresh cold light powder in HinterTux today. fairly busy for this time of year but a good half the hill closed due to high winds. Great start to the season
ski holidays
@clarky999, spotted your rise to fame on the Innsbruck insta account over the weekend!
ski holidays
@swskier, gotta pay the bills wink

On which note, today we went to test the snow conditions at Kühtai before their opening this Friday, with a little piste basher bump to the top and a v quick skin:

http://youtube.com/v/Aw6j9A8i-4M

Could get used to this cat skiing thing Laughing Anyway, the snow is great and there should be another 30cms incoming (more in the Nordstau spots) on Friday.

Few snaps:

Pretty windy, and there are some trigger-sensitive slabs and cornices around:

Back up

For some wind-buffed powder:

Not crazy depths (Kühtai always gets less snow than some other nearby resorts - altitude isn't everything!) and gotta check where the wind has taken the snow, but generally good skiing and decent coverage down to the village:

ski holidays
Interesting conditions at Kühtai's opening day today...

http://youtube.com/v/301sm17EaQc

Another 20-30cms of new snow had fallen since Wednesday, but fairly heavy, on a very variable/low base, with absolutely no visibility. Pistes were nice but like the moon, and there were a few nice lines to be had in the trees (paying attention to the lack of base).

The snow line rose through the day; it was only -1°C when I left Kühtai (at 2020m), and miserable rain when I got back to Innsbruck. It's since dropped again and now snowing again here in the city.

LOTS of snow to come across Tirol tomorrow, but also Level 4 avalanche risk: https://avalanche.report/bulletin/latest
ski holidays
Woke up to another ~25cms on the balcony here in the city (560m) and it's still snowing solidly - should continue until tomorrow (Sunday) morning.
ski holidays
Yep flights cancelled already
Fortunately our family are on the EJ Gatwick flight the only one showing still due ( though I expect a diversion to Munich could still be on the cards)
ski holidays
Was snow cancelling flights on Thursday? We landed in Zurich Thursday evening to find our onward flight cancelled and airport chaos, but having been out of contact for 32hrs had no idea what was going on. Had to overnight there (hoping someone's going to cough up for it, but I can confirm that the Hyatt Regency in the fancy complex opposite is indeed very nice wink ). Finally got to Frankfurt Friday afternoon, then delayed again, with the pilot into Innsbruck saying we might have to divert to Friedrichschafen but he was going to have a go at landing in Innsbruck first Shocked He managed it, with a bit of bump, at about 7pm as the snow was starting to come down. (Yes, ZUR – FRA – INN is bonkers, but this was a re-routing after an earlier flight consolidation which landed us in Zurich rather than Vienna, but with the unexpected bonus of flying Swiss instead of Lufthansa. If the queue for the desk hadn't been 4hrs long, I would have been tempted to have them pull the luggage and get on the train.)

As for the snow, well there is now a good 30cm on next door's roof, and it's still coming down hard. I think the weather is supposed to clear up a bit tomorrow, so I might try and get out then, but first I need to figure out if the car is going to start Confused Today, there is zero visibility, level 4 risk, and I'm waiting for the roads to get cleared so we can go shopping.
snow report
@Scarlet, @jafa, as far as I know cancellations only started last night (Friday night), but also at Munich (my gf’s parents are currently stuck in Dubai as MUC flight was canceled).
snow conditions
@clarky999, The cancellation would have been on the ZUR – FRA leg, but I don't know which end the problem was. MUC and LHR flights were also among several other disrupted. I suspect weather issues, but we had limited comms from the airline. I'll put in the comp claim regardless.
ski holidays
Bunch of people on their way out to Tux all stuck in the UK due to cancelled flights to Munich. A mate already in Munich but his wife and kids flights back today cancelled, re-scheduled for tomorrow, so he's now not coming until tomorrow.

My boss was due to fly to Mexico today, so not sure if that happened or not.
latest report
Last weekend was pretty snowy in and around Innsbruck!

Friday and Saturday snowed all day - measured 30cms on Saturday morning stroll with the little guy:

On Sunday it went blue, and Kühtai was all-time:

http://youtube.com/v/cNXOejYGYK4

Normally Kühtai is pretty dry and doesn't get as much snow as other resorts, but with a system from the north meeting warm damp air from the south on the main alpine ridge it was right in the sweet spot for a snow bomb this time.

It doesn't look like so much in the video due to some wind affect making the snow a little dense, but there was a solid 60cms. At times a bit of work to keep the tips up and momentum going on the mellow slopes we were sticking too (avi level 4). Got attacked by a shark at one point too…

Sunday evening the city and the Christmas Markets looked gorgeous in the new snow:

This is the St Nikolaus Christmas Market - smaller and less commercial than the city centre markets; it's where the locals tend to go:

Little guy woke me up at 6am on Monday for playtime and to watch this sunrise together (Glungezer ski resort on the left and Patscherkofel on the right):

Last night it again snowed down to the city, but just a few centimetres. Temp in the city was 0°C this morning, but feels warmer now (I guess around 4-5°C).

Looks like more snow coming in ~Sunday into next week, maybe 20-40cms in the mountains.

Great to have a winter off to a good start again!!
snow conditions
Went along to the Innsbruck Christmas markets last night with colleagues, and then to the Stiftskeller for food and drink. Very nice and festive, would have been even nicer a week or so ago in the snow.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Update from last Saturday in the Arlberg...

We should really have gone on Friday, as the snow cleared up earlier than expected, but both Menno and I weren't feeling great so we gave it a day to recover. Turns out for me it was actually the start of corona (again!), but I didn't get properly ill or until Sunday and first test on Monday...

Anyway, the resort was already completely tracked out and lift queues were mad due to Schindler being closed. So we went for a little skin up towards Maroiköpfe to find something fresh to ski. Unfortunately we weren't the only ones with the same idea Laughing

But check out that beautiful spacing! It was actually a big group of the Bergrettung (mountain rescue) out on a training exercise. Thankfully they skied a different route down to us too, down into Verwalltal, which looked pretty nice:

Albonaska was also looking pretty beastly:

Some of the Legs of Steel crew skied it that today, and Tao Kreibbich and crew again this week (believe edit dropping soon).

We went over the other side towards Langen though, which had great snow and was nice to ski, though the descent was a little disjointed due to route-finding (we hadn't skied it before and were nervous of terrain traps or getting stuck in a gulley...

http://youtube.com/v/m6SrpkSW1N0

The first part:

After that we cut high skiers right, well above and past the waterfall. Required a little bit of sidestepping, but I feel you get a better and longer (and steeper for longer) descent that way.

Snow was good too, though the light went flat:

Some fun stuff out the bottom, once we'd worked out where to go (lots of options, and I think all better than skiing the classic waterfall route). Felt the base here under the fresh snow too:

There was plenty of snow through the trees all the way down to Langen, but it's been warmer since...
snow report
Raining and properly miserable in Innsbruck right now, but there should be a LOT of fresh snow on the mountains for Christmas.

60cms for Nordkette today? https://www.bergfex.at/innsbruck-nordkette/webcams/c487/

I'm heading east today there, where it's *dumping* but also getting a little warmer than I'd like...

https://www.bergfex.at/wurzeralm/webcams/c446/
ski holidays
@clarky999, just on my way back from Innsbruck. Last minute shopping trip for black trousers for a concert I'm playing in tonight in Kals am Großglockner. Very miserable in Innsbruck, as is Jenbach and the Zillertal.

Pass Thurn currently closed, so concert might be cancelled anyway! Laughing
ski holidays
I was just having a look at which areas had actually opened today – unsurprisingly, the roads to both Kühtai and Stubai are closed, so they didn't open. Axamer Lizum looks horrendously windy so they only have the bunny lifts at the bottom running, same for Patscherkofel and Glungezer. Nordkette is slightly confusing because they list the lifts as being open, but I assume only for pedestrians/sightseers (not gonna see much today!), as the ski area is listed as closed.

Schlick 2000 has opened a few lifts, though not into the main bowl. Seefeld is also open, though I think the bottom will be below the snow line today. Their webcams are all covered in snow though, so I can't see what's going on.
snow conditions
We're in Obergurgl. Resort closed all day due to snow storms and wind.
ski holidays
Flying in to Innsbruck this morning, the landing was aborted at the last minute and we got diverted to Friedrichshafen, so almost 5 hours transfer now for my short ski break Sad Here’s hoping the storm is worth it come Sunday!
ski holidays
@Wyeski, Unlucky! But 5 hours?! Are they transferring you by horse and cart?
latest report
Quickest train was 4hr10 to Innsbruck, and then bus to Neustift. EasyJet laid on coaches, but they were only just setting off from Innsbruck 90 minutes after we landed, so that was going to be even slower!
snow report
@Wyeski, I had the same last Wednesday the 13th, diverted to Salzburg. They said on the plane the ‘buses were already there to take you to Innsbruck’ before we landed but the journey was going to take 2.5 hours on (then) snowless roads…. I think it would have taken at least an hour to get everyone on the coaches plus the 2.5 hour journey plus the onward original journey from Innsbruck, I didn’t bother.
It was miles quicker to get a taxi to the main station in Salzburg then a train direct to Landeck.
snow conditions
Ischgl and Galtur were both completely closed today.
Kappl had a few lifts open but not worth it (for me anyway) to bother going there.
ski holidays
@VolklAttivaS5, It looks like about half of See has been open today, if that helps you for tomorrow.
snow conditions
@Scarlet, will look at See tomorrow yes thanks just in case.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy