Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
Piccadilly wrote:
On a more solemn note, I hope the girl in Saas Fee was OK...

It was a boy I think - the reports seem a bit unclear on this though. And I'm afraid not. Terrible.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Awesome!!!!!!!!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
shoogly, seriously i nearly wet myself when i saw that view of the nursery slopes ..... it looks am-az-ing!!!! wish i was there now rather than in 6 weeks time (actually wish i was there now as well as in 6 weeks time snowHead )
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The webcams look absolutely spectacular today, picture postcard stuff.

I'm so jealous of everyone making the most of it!

paulio wrote:
Piccadilly wrote:
On a more solemn note, I hope the girl in Saas Fee was OK...

It was a boy I think - the reports seem a bit unclear on this though. And I'm afraid not. Terrible.

That's awful, RIP to them Sad
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just popped home for lunch and a change of gear as im on piste next lesson (don't want to lug around my airbag and all the clobber all afternoon).... just a quick reply therefore now....

However re this Saas Fee thing:

http://worldradio.ch/wrs/news/wrsnews/with-weekend-snow-comes-avalanches.shtml?27989

and

http://genevalunch.com/blog/2011/12/07/6-yr-old-in-critical-condition-after-saas-fee-piste-avalanche/

and in french:

http://www.24heures.ch/actu/suisse/enfant-blesse-avalanche-saas-fee-2011-12-07
which confirms the child unfortunately died... RIP!

It is bluebird here today.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sad news about the wee lad Sad

hope he makes a full recovery. 45 mins is a long time to be under for.

happy and safe skiing out there folks.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
shoogly, he didn't, he died.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
oh dear... that's terrible.

Thoughts go out to his family and the instructor involved. Horrible.

Sad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My god so it starts,awful news so early in the season my mates in val and I've told him to get to Henry's talk on friday education is a must.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads

The day started with a slow opening of the lifts as the pisteurs had an awful lot of clearance to do... there was almost a riot as you can imagine as the pent up tension mounted. There were a few clouds around but these soon cleared. The snow only stopped falling in the early hours so they had managed to do a good amount of grooming - the day was set.

It didn't take long until the sun came out and we had a BLUEBIRD day on our hands. As you can see from the photo the coverage is complete and as the avalanche danger subsides the whole area will be useable. As it was the Ski tranquile area in the photo had not been groomed and besides in places the danger from above was too great.

ONTO THE FUN BIT - the SKIING. Well to be honest the high winds over night lead to windslab in some places and wind compaction in other areas.... wind scoured in a couple of places. The temperatures rose slightly this morning with the sun which meant the snowpack became a little heavier and by the time the lifts opened about 10am the snow was quite heavy in places if im being honest. So all in all the powder was not as good as it could have been but still very nice and fresh tracks to keep everyone going all day.

It is really cold tonight therefore this snow should bind well and make a solid base... there were some massive pisteur made slabs that had come down therefore hopefully tomorrow everything should be secure.... however there were some fools skiing some pretty dangerous lines this afternoon.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There's no pleasing some people is there.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Where did everyone go? That was the question today.

I think with all the extra slopes / lifts opening it seemed as if the resort had emptied out.

As you can see there was absolutely no-one around at all today up on the Bellevarde side this morning. As you can see it was a little cloudy therefore I thought that perhaps people were putting off heading up but it was hardly a white out or anything. The cloud cleared quickly and we had a lovely mornings skiing.

Off piste this afternoon with Le Ski Chalet staff - well skied lads. The snow seems to have settled a little therefore the wind crust has eased off and in little depressions we got some really deep and fluffy snow.

It is fairly cold this evening, a full moon is present overhead and the resort is now ready for the first real proper influx of tourists. Snowberry are expecting well over 300 students through their shop tomorrow - yes it is one of the student weeks this coming week.

The weather forecast is for the odd cloud or two with a few snow showers on and off for the next few days - we shall see. Back to the airport tomorrow - the usual Saturday run.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Steve Angus, I'm really enjoying the updates and pics - and I'm a bit jealous too.. lucky I only have a week to wait...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Piccadilly YAY - bet you can't wait... we'll try and leave you some fresh snow!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Steve Angus, I'll be in La Plagne next Sat, but back to Val in March, I absolutely love it there.

I seriously cannot wait. I might as well not be at work next week for all the use I'll be, I'm permanently glued to webcams and Snowheads!
latest report
STUDENTS and lots of em....

Traditonally this is a popular week with UK students and the resort seems busy this evening with them running around with hire skis under one arm and a crate of beer under the other.... brings back many a happy memory from my students days far to long ago.

Lovely sunny day once again after a cloud or two to start with.

The road to and from Geneva was very quiet apart from the coach loads of students.

The forecast for the following week is fairly standard for this time of year... reading between the lines as you can see they are promising a little bit of everything really from snow (a little) to sun, to cloud.... sometimes warmer, sometimes colder - a 'nothing' forecast as I call it!

[/url]
snow report
GLORIOUS is definitely the word of the day. The slopes were once again in amazing conditions with no lift queues anywhere. Had a wonderful mornings skiing on the most amazingly well groomed slopes on the Bellevarde with Linda, Rachael and Dominic (see photo). They were blown away by the view from the top of the Grand Pre chairlift over toward the Vanoise National Park... nice salad for lunch at Marmottes STILL the best value restaurant on the mountain and good ski in the afternoon with colleagues (www.tdcski.com).

The exciting news is that a snow storm is forecast to move in tomorrow and then we should have snow on and off again this week.... yes the forecast has changed for the better since yesterdays forecast - but as always I shall wait to see whether the predictions turn to reality! We shall see. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Salad? Ski?
snow conditions
Yea the Salads are immense there - stack your plate real high for not a lot of money - i.e. less than €5 - bargain.

Anyway this morning looks like there are some over cast skies and snow is on the way again.... certainly cold enough to snow.... check out the weather forecast.... BRING IT ON.

ski holidays
snowHead
ski holidays
ITS BEEN DUMPING ALL DAY AGAIN In fact the vis was pretty crappy today and the wind really picked up.... initially Borsat closed, then not long after Tommeuse was in trouble so that was Tignes cut off (it may have reopened later - not sure).... then La Daille bubble closed. The weather kept on coming in and out (a little)... but the snow and wind is definitely here to stay. Loads of people headed off home (hoping) the promised weather window tomorrow am comes true! The slopes were pretty quiet this pm and skiing up and down from the top of the the Funival was challenging at the top but got better with the definition lower down.

The temperature is supposed to lower and they still reckon on a LOT of snow over the next few days - if anyone is coming out for Xmas then you are going to have a great time.

Looks like that car needs digging out soon otherwise it will be lost for the rest of the season!
snow conditions
We're coming to val on Friday and self driving. We'll obviously make sure we've got snow chains but we're getting a bit anxious based on the weather forecast! Does the road become not drivable at some point? Not sure if this has ever happened and wondered what the score was if it's lobbing it down all day?

Thanks in advance Very Happy
snow report
drdodds wrote:
We're coming to val on Friday and self driving. We'll obviously make sure we've got snow chains but we're getting a bit anxious based on the weather forecast! Does the road become not drivable at some point? Not sure if this has ever happened and wondered what the score was if it's lobbing it down all day?

Thanks in advance Very Happy

the road to val was closed for some time on the 1st monday of the 08/09) season due to risk of avalanches. Was signed on electronic signs a long way back before bourg. i was heading to les arcs so was unaffected. road was re-opened (as i understood) later that afternoon.

IIRC There have been stories of many hundreds of people overnighting in bourg before
snow report
yes to both drdodds and you are right bertie bassett the road can get closed sometimes... when there is loads of snow. It will be signposted way back. There have been times when the people have been stuck in Bourg overnight - last times was about 5 years ago on a Saturday evening - everyone got out of town on the Sat am transfers then the weather socked in and no-one could get back up the hill.

It goes without saying that the lifeline to a ski resort, Val d'isere or any other for that matter, is generally via road (fuel, supplies, the tourist €) so the autherities work VERY hard to keep it open (round the clock) therefore if worst comes to worst then yes you may have problems in getting up the hill.

In terms of snow chains... buy in Super U either the one on the road just past Albertville or in Bourg (unless they sell out as everyone is doing the same). You can get cheap ones there - circa €40 a set... or it to be extra safe buy some in the UK and PRACTICE putting them on before heading out.... a snow covered road at the end of a long trip when you are tired and it is dumping down is the last place you want to test them em! The dot-matrix signs should tell you way back whether the road is affected... and FYI if the road is back the gendarmes WILL stand at the bottom and block people they think do not have the correct kit therefore you can't blag it.

If I were you and you have 3G on your phone and can speak french then keep referring to www.radiovaldisere.com and their news section on the way down as THAT is place for ALL local info as it happens and they ALWAYS give updates on the state of the road etc.

GOOD LUCK and welcome to a Winter wonderland!

This morning there is a small break in the weather but it is definitely 'red sky in the morning..........' out there!
snow report
drdodds.......

much the same concern, we are driving to ste foy, leavings weds pm and overnight in Arras, then early start to get to resort ahead of the expected bad weather.

good luck, safe journey
ski holidays
Steve Angus wrote:
yes to both drdodds and you are right bertie bassett the road can get closed sometimes... when there is loads of snow. It will be signposted way back. There have been times when the people have been stuck in Bourg overnight - last times was about 5 years ago on a Saturday evening - everyone got out of town on the Sat am transfers then the weather socked in and no-one could get back up the hill.

It goes without saying that the lifeline to a ski resort, Val d'isere or any other for that matter, is generally via road (fuel, supplies, the tourist €) so the autherities work VERY hard to keep it open (round the clock) therefore if worst comes to worst then yes you may have problems in getting up the hill.

In terms of snow chains... buy in Super U either the one on the road just past Albertville or in Bourg (unless they sell out as everyone is doing the same). You can get cheap ones there - circa €40 a set... or it to be extra safe buy some in the UK and PRACTICE putting them on before heading out.... a snow covered road at the end of a long trip when you are tired and it is dumping down is the last place you want to test them em! The dot-matrix signs should tell you way back whether the road is affected... and FYI if the road is back the gendarmes WILL stand at the bottom and block people they think do not have the correct kit therefore you can't blag it.

If I were you and you have 3G on your phone and can speak french then keep referring to www.radiovaldisere.com and their news section on the way down as THAT is place for ALL local info as it happens and they ALWAYS give updates on the state of the road etc.

GOOD LUCK and welcome to a Winter wonderland!

This morning there is a small break in the weather but it is definitely 'red sky in the morning..........' out there!

This is somewhat disturbing (though, I guess, shouldn't be completely unexpected). Does anyone know if they closed the roads when the snow came down a week ago? We're due to be transferred to Val on Friday late night and don't fancy hunting for a hotel in Bourg at midnight...
snow report
....yes they did close the road for a short while last week but this was more because a tree had fallen across the road (due to weight of snow) but apart from that it just about stayed open (as far as I am aware!).
ski holidays

Thought id start with photo of the day as it will be the last time I post a picture that has any glipse of sun / blue sky in it as it has started snowing again. They are now forecasting the best part of 1m yes that is 1 metre of snow over the next few days.

The local Meteo France is saying in essence: "This Friday and Saturday: ‘Neige extremement important’. ...huge snowfalls with high avalanche risk and very difficult driving conditions."... and that is after the snowfall that we are due over the next few days.

The day started really nicely and there was about 15cm off piste so a lovely dusting and the pistes were all in excellent shape. As the day went on the clouds moved in and then the snow started nice and light at first but now it is heaving it down out there.

I have already heard from a good source that the road was a little slippy this evening so I think the advice would be to get some chains if anyone is thinking about driving up or down in the next few days.

I am supposed to be teaching on piste over the next few days but looking forward to getting some off piste lessons on the go next week when the conditions will be amazing.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
looks like about 10cm at least down here in the village overnight and still going strong.
snow report
Steve Angus, Must be great to be there, especially once the snow pack consolidates a bit in the coming weeks.

Looks like a great season ahead with continued snowfalls in the forecast.

Enjoy, and save some for March Very Happy
snow report
WOW... I just can't believe how good the conditions out there can be....

We woke to a decent top up overnight (as we seem to have every day at the moment) and got early lifts as the weather (as it has done) was supposed to really come in. For the first hour or two it was lovely but little by little the snowfall got heavier and heavier and the wind picked up. By lunchtime many of the lifts had closed and we (like everyone else) stayed low in the trees of La Daille... the photo shows the view from my office all day today.

Lovely conditions abounded but by about 3pm my clients had had enough of the conditions so we headed to le Rossee Blanche at the bottom of La Daille - when we came out we were almost carried by the blizzard all the way back up into town and now the snow is tumbling out the sky at such a rate that I can see me having to dig the path to the front door both this evening and again tomorrow in order to get to work.

The forecast is still for REALLY REALY heavy snow through until the weekend - about 70cm more to come down here in the village some reports are saying - we shall see.

On a brighter note the Christmas turkey man made his delivery to us this afternoon so the road must be open!

TTFN!
ski holidays
Steve Angus, I love your reports! Very Happy
latest report
Keep the photos coming in. Xmas can't arrive soon enough.
ski holidays
thanks Piccadilly and richy2686 - I aim to please. This is a simple 'report the conditions how they are' thread so ill keep going through until May when I leave town heading back to the Snow Centre in Hemel for another Summer of fun!

The snowfall is a little lighter out there now therefore perhaps it will not be as heavy a snowfall as forecast this evening / night after all? hmmmmmmmmmmmm
snow report
Steve Angus, the forecast is for the heavy stuff to be tomorow eve/night and then into Friday
snow report
thanks red 27 - saw that after I wrote what I wrote and realised that it was meant to ease off. Ohh well there are still flakes out there therefore it is not exactly a starry sky so the heavens could still open again... or am I hoping again!
ski holidays
Steve Angus wrote:
there are still flakes out there therefore it is not exactly a starry sky so the heavens could still open again... or am I hoping again!
Patience my friend, Friday will bring you all the snow you want wink
snow report
Any chance you could buy a better camera? Or better phone camera Wink would add to the drool factor NehNeh
snow conditions
Steve I am now going. to have to stop reading this thread due to rank jealousy and fact my diary won't let me go at the moment
snow report
yes wiiskier I have it on my list of things to buy.... I have so much gear to carry with me anyway that I don't want yet another piece of tech in my pocket... the days when I have the better photos are the days when I have my iphon (English) phone with me but for obvious reasons I don't carry it everyday.

For fear of creating too much jealousy ill leave you with the following teaser..... im off to dig a path from the front door now.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy