Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ps .... triple jabbed locked and loaded Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowhound wrote:
Thanks Steve. Do you know if pre-departure tests needed to enter France would count towards the Pass Sanitaire 72 hour window if it was in force for ski lifts? I would hope so because if it were suitable for entry to the country in the first place, they would surely be sufficient for the PS? It would save getting a test (teenage daughters) first thing on arrival on Saturday evening/Sunday morning.

Cheers.


Good question but my worry is that pre-departure tests are going to be read by English speakers at the UK end used to seeing such tests whereas you are then going to be asking a 'local' to read a foreign test certificate and that would be complicated. So although all I am doing is speculating but the answer might be no. Have nothing to base that on just a hunch I am afraid!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
harvsurrey wrote:
@Steve Angus,

Hey Steve it feels like forever since I looked at this forum and hope you are doing well.

Had like many lots of personal challenges and losses the last 18 months and was lucky to ski the last week of 2020 before lockdown .

To honour the last 18 months what better way than to be back on day 1 of a proper season

So 27th of November we will arrive in Val .

Alas my good friends @ Neilson won't have Toviere open to paying guests and although I will say hi to my good friends there this season we are staying up in town .

Fear not we also have March 2022 booked back at Tov in La Daille .


So Steve .... I am glued to the thread again

Now where is Honeybunny ...... surely she needs to appear Very Happy


Yay you are back! Yes doing OK thanks - like everyone coming out of hibernation after such a long period of time!

The opening of the season - awesome - think it is going to be a really really busy opening weekend this time around! Hopefully you will be able to come out to the Tov this Winter for sure! Im sure Honeybunny is lurking somewhere not too far away.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@harvsurrey, Ah, but can you prove it.....Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@snowhound,

I have total faith I will , because Boris said he is on it !!

No I have no faith I will ever be able to prove it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I’m here, I was given the heads up that this thread is alive! I’ve had an absolutely terrible year of stress and anxiety followed by two horrendous family tragedies. I can’t wait for 2021 to be over.

Hope you and yours are well Steve (and Harv!). I’ve been following Clare’s great posts on Insta.

Booked in a chalet for March 2022, fingers crossed we can go. I’ve not been to Val for three years now, sadly. I miss the place.

Looking forward to the return of regular updates on my favourite thread on the internet.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
HoneyBunny wrote:
I’m here, I was given the heads up that this thread is alive! I’ve had an absolutely terrible year of stress and anxiety followed by two horrendous family tragedies. I can’t wait for 2021 to be over.

Hope you and yours are well Steve (and Harv!). I’ve been following Clare’s great posts on Insta.

Booked in a chalet for March 2022, fingers crossed we can go. I’ve not been to Val for three years now, sadly. I miss the place.

Looking forward to the return of regular updates on my favourite thread on the internet.


Hi Honeybunny so super lovely to hear from you. So sorry to hear that Covid has treated you particularly badly. The ski community and Snowheads I'm sure as a collective can't wait to have you back doing what you love doing best. Thats my wish for you.

Yes all well thanks and yes Clare has been a stalwart on the social media front - Ill try and get back on the horse next week.

Thats awesome but 3 years between trips - wow!

Yes ill be back posting regularly again soon. Brilliant. Looking forward to seeing you on the slopes.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ahh thanks Steve, I definitely can't wait to be back. Oh by the way, Rich says hi!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Locked and loaded

Well despite all the doom and gloom in the press about how it seems to be 'out of control' in Europe again (Covid of course)... we really are geared up to go. Yay! OK we need some more snow (there is a descent amount up high but not lower down) and that should be coming later in the week but I think everyone is just going to be happy to be able to ski again!



Oh and yes bring it on HoneyBunny and hi back to Rich!

Talking of snow etc the decision will have to be taken within the next week or so re the Mens races on the Face for the World Cup in 3 weeks time and 3.5 weeks until the Womens races down to La Daille have to be ready. If temps get cold enough and we get some natural snow then together we could get the ladies races in down here in La Daille but I think they will get away with the Mens races OK - time will tell. Anyway the decision will have to be taken within the next week or so on both those fronts.

Clare and I had a sudden bonus last night in that Ben was invited away for his first ever sleep over at his friend Toms house and then Olivia was invited to a sleepover at her friends too... suddenly Clare and I were both at a lose end. We considered going to the pub or out for a meal but in the end we decided to put Strictly on and I cooked up a yummy steak and chips (chips in our new air fryer which is ace!) followed by a treat pudding of choc fondants.... amazing. Washed down with a few beers - perfect night. However for those of you who have kids its not about the night but about the next morning.... joy oh joy oh joy I didn't get up until 0900 this am AND then had my Sunday morning treat of eggs on toast with a warm cuppa tea in relative peace with the radio as company. What a start to the day and then to top it off got a peaceful shower and the first run of the ladies slalom from Levi in long before Ben came back! Joy oh joy!!!! Olivia on the other hand did not make it home until mid afternoon...... in comparison the fatigue from both kids at the end of the day saw them both in bed by 1800 - yes I know. Both totally knackered and over it!!!! Doh.

Anyway folks hoping to get back to doing these daily again from now on in... wish me luck. Trying to ramp up social media once again too!

TTFN
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Steve Angus, appreciate it's impossible to give any firm predictions, but is there any "mot dans la rue" on what might be skiable this weekend? We're coming up regardless, just wondered if there'll be more than 1/2 days skiing (without lapping the same runs 20 times). Main reason I'm asking is I'm getting new piste boots and wondered when a good time to do that is. If the skiing is limited I may as well book in for Saturday late afternoon.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Dr John,

I was looking earlier and this I believe gives you what's due to be open

https://www.valdisere.com/en/now/piste-map/?top=0&tab=tab1

We arrive Saturday evening so hoping it's good
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Dr John,

I was looking earlier and this I believe gives you what's due to be open

https://www.valdisere.com/en/now/piste-map/?top=0&tab=tab1

We arrive Saturday evening so hoping it's good
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have been told that there will be a meeting tomorrow between the town council and the STGM to decide whether to delay the opening of the lifts. The glacier looks good on the webcam, but the nursery slopes have only a few piles of artificial snow.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I spotted that looking at the Cams ..... that could scupper things Sad
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
john2 wrote:
I have been told that there will be a meeting tomorrow between the town council and the STGM to decide whether to delay the opening of the lifts. The glacier looks good on the webcam, but the nursery slopes have only a few piles of artificial snow.

What do STGM have to do with opening Val D'Isere's lifts?
snow conditions
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Kenzie wrote:
john2 wrote:
I have been told that there will be a meeting tomorrow between the town council and the STGM to decide whether to delay the opening of the lifts. The glacier looks good on the webcam, but the nursery slopes have only a few piles of artificial snow.

What do STGM have to do with opening Val D'Isere's lifts?


Sorry, I meant STVI.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dr John - there was a meeting today to give updates on what might be opening and where and as expected it does look like just the Val glacier by the look of things. I reckon it could be somewhat busy you have been warned - not only 'not much' open but also the considerable logistics of getting up there from the Fornet! I think heading up at lunchtime might be the best course of action!

harvsurrey - yes that will be the good source of info when the season starts!

john2 - not sure where this rumour keeps coming from re this meeting tomorrow. The bad publicity would be immense let alone the hundreds and hundreds of opening weekend packages that have already been sold. Also it would not be the first time that just the glacier has opened on opening weekend. I could be wrong but a delay to open the lifts - can't see it! However yes the glacier is good but lower down not so good!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I am just relaying what I was told, Steve. I have to say, the snow levels on the Pisaillas webcam look good to me, so I think that there will be a limited opening.

I rewatched the film Jaws a few weeks ago, and this situation reminds me of the town council member who tried to persuade the police chief to keep the beach open so that the local businesses could profit from the holiday weekend. (Just being facetious, if you were in doubt).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pass Sanitaire back on the horizon

It was certainly that Monday morning feeling this am and was tricky getting the kids going but we got there in the end. With the kids off to school I got some jobs at home done before heading off with my tools. One of the issues post the 'B' word is this severe lack of staff in so many aspects of resort life.... however there is also a shortage of French staff to work in bars, hotels and restaurants too. Anyway Mountain Room and Chalets (Paul and Debbie the owners) have asked me to tackle a long list of maintenance work that needs covering in their properties so I have started on that front. Meanwhile Clare is doing some pre-season cleaning for them too. Its all go.

So my main aim today was to reinforce a stud wall in a bathroom in order to mount a large heated towel rail.... needed quite a lot of work but I should finish that off tomorrow before moving onto the next thing.

Weather wise it remains pretty warm and the lack of natural snow means it is all but certain that it will just be the glacier open. We still dont know whether Olivia will be skiing with the Club des Sports this Saturday (she should be) neither do we know whether we might just find it better to go to Tignes with Ben to take him skiing - easier access - hmmm we shall see. The weather is supposed to deteriorate little by little over the week so we live in hope for snow later in the week that is for sure!

As mentioned above (or eluded to) there are lots of chats going on within town at the moment re Covid levels and what that all means for skiing here this season.... it would seem as if with the evolution of the covid numbers that pass sanitaries might need to be reintroduced along with testing measures to keep numbers as low as possible etc but at the moment nothing has changed.

Ill finish with a photo taken the other day 'up top' to wet appetites.

TTFN

latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
john2 wrote:
I am just relaying what I was told, Steve. I have to say, the snow levels on the Pisaillas webcam look good to me, so I think that there will be a limited opening.

I rewatched the film Jaws a few weeks ago, and this situation reminds me of the town council member who tried to persuade the police chief to keep the beach open so that the local businesses could profit from the holiday weekend. (Just being facetious, if you were in doubt).


No I know its all good - i just dont know where these rumours come from. Ive heard it as well for a meeting tomorrow but I just can't see it happening. Ho hum ill probably be wrong now tomorrow and have to eat my words!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A few years ago, possibly around 2013 we had a Premier Traces package booked for the end of November but due to a severe lack of snow (cows were still grazing on Face) it was partially cancelled.
We got vouchers for a future ski pass and parking in Val d’Isere and free access to the Val d’Isere glacier for 4 days. I think we were offered a full cancellation voucher but as we had flights booked we just came out and drove round to Tignes one day.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Steve Angus wrote:
john2 wrote:
I am just relaying what I was told, Steve. I have to say, the snow levels on the Pisaillas webcam look good to me, so I think that there will be a limited opening.

I rewatched the film Jaws a few weeks ago, and this situation reminds me of the town council member who tried to persuade the police chief to keep the beach open so that the local businesses could profit from the holiday weekend. (Just being facetious, if you were in doubt).


No I know its all good - i just dont know where these rumours come from. Ive heard it as well for a meeting tomorrow but I just can't see it happening. Ho hum ill probably be wrong now tomorrow and have to eat my words!

Re source of rumors - check out this internet thingy (seems all the kids are 'down with it'). Apparently a major source for rumors. And I've heard rumors on there that a thing called 'Twitter' is even worse. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Steve Angus,
Re. Lack of staff. Have any VD employers started recruiting UK passport holders? I believe Tignes-spirit & Tignes.co.uk have.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Steve Angus, thanks. Personally think PS for skiing is a good idea. As for Fornet only, that's somewhat of a PITA. Will see what's open in Tignes and poss drive round there, although I can't see it being much more than Motte & MM by the looks of the webcam?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dr John wrote:
Personally think PS for skiing is a good idea. As for Fornet only, that's somewhat of a PITA. Will see what's open in Tignes and poss drive round there, although I can't see it being much more than Motte & MM by the looks of the webcam?


Can you imagine being stuck at the end of a queue of senile old gits who discover that they have forgotten to charge their phones? It would take an eternity.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@john2, no need to be rude about the Ski Club. Better than another shut down.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
john2 wrote:
Dr John wrote:
Personally think PS for skiing is a good idea. As for Fornet only, that's somewhat of a PITA. Will see what's open in Tignes and poss drive round there, although I can't see it being much more than Motte & MM by the looks of the webcam?


Can you imagine being stuck at the end of a queue of senile old gits who discover that they have forgotten to charge their phones? It would take an eternity.


Airline check in queues are like that at the moment!
Just get it all ready!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
john2 wrote:
Dr John wrote:
Personally think PS for skiing is a good idea. As for Fornet only, that's somewhat of a PITA. Will see what's open in Tignes and poss drive round there, although I can't see it being much more than Motte & MM by the looks of the webcam?


Can you imagine being stuck at the end of a queue of senile old gits who discover that they have forgotten to charge their phones? It would take an eternity.


I would have thought that old gits (senile or not) are more likely to have printed everything out and have all these bits of paper that would be quick to pull out and present. It will be the hipsters with their lives all on the latest battery sucking phone that will be the problem. Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Query for the resident Val expert - I'm arriving w nipper no 4 on Friday evening for the weekend, but she needs one of her boots blown out a little for a small toe bunion - looking for a recommendation for a boot fitter to do same either Friday eve or post ski saturday.....any suggestions ?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
["Dr John"]

I wasn't thinking of anyone in particular, I was just thinking about the practicalities of the system.

Looking at what is happening in Austria and Germany, I think that there is a real chance that the season will come to a premature end again.
latest report
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
coddlesangers wrote:
Query for the resident Val expert - I'm arriving w nipper no 4 on Friday evening for the weekend, but she needs one of her boots blown out a little for a small toe bunion - looking for a recommendation for a boot fitter to do same either Friday eve or post ski saturday.....any suggestions ?

I have heard good things about Killy Sport....I think there was a quality Bootfitter working there called Bruno, but that was a while ago. I have no personal experience though...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@coddlesangers, Mark at Profeet
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Mother hucker@Old Fartbag, Ty very much both.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry, double post.


Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 23-11-21 17:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mother hucker wrote:
@coddlesangers, Mark at Profeet

I've also heard good things about Mark.

When there, I used to have lessons with Aaron Cassells (from NI)....and the recommendation came from him.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@coddlesangers - I don’t know if he will work on boots not bought from him but Yannick at the MountainPro shop is ace.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mother hucker,

Do you mean Mark at Surefoot? I don't think Profeet are in Val d'isere. Surefoot are in the centre of the main street between the 2 roundabouts but not sure when their shop opens for the season.

They sorted out my boots which I didn't buy from them.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
welshflyer wrote:
@Mother hucker,

Do you mean Mark at Surefoot? I don't think Profeet are in Val d'isere. Surefoot are in the centre of the main street between the 2 roundabouts but not sure when their shop opens for the season.

They sorted out my boots which I didn't buy from them.

The Mark I'm thinking of, is certainly at Surefoot. I'd say it was a muddle over names.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
muppet wrote:
A few years ago, possibly around 2013 we had a Premier Traces package booked for the end of November but due to a severe lack of snow (cows were still grazing on Face) it was partially cancelled.
We got vouchers for a future ski pass and parking in Val d’Isere and free access to the Val d’Isere glacier for 4 days. I think we were offered a full cancellation voucher but as we had flights booked we just came out and drove round to Tignes one day.


Yea there are certainly components that can be cancelled.

I noted with interest today the stats that this Premere Traces this year is going to be the largest (1500) in terms of numbers of packages sold!!!

Kenzie Laughing Laughing Laughing
And yes lots of employers have gone down the sponsored visa route - they basically will have had to make that decision back in the Summer and it will have come to fruition now (theoretically) but even then there is not enough people applying and it is a COSTLY route and laborious. Within Val there is something like a 20% shortage of staff across the tourist sector! I do know that several operations that have gone down the UK passport recruitment process are saying 'never again'.

Dr John - yea I know - huge pain in the **** either way

john2 - I think there will be hiccups all Winter long with people showing this and that pass wise.... but lets keep hopeful for a 'good' season.... I can tell you there are thousands of people who will have gone 2 whole years living off the state 100% if this one goes up the spout and to say the knock on effects and ruining the industry sounds like it could be an overstatement it really could be!

VolklAttivaS5 - indeed could be interesting in the middle of a snowstorm getting phones out to be scanned!


coddlesangers yes as Old Fartbag has said Bruno at Killy is good and so is Mark as mentioned... also try going into Jean Sports and of course Al at Snowberry would be a good call too!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Steve Angus, I don't see Aaron Cassells mentioned at Progression Ski any more. Has he moved somewhere else, or is he staying in NI and not teaching?
snow report



Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy