Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
This winter will be 30 years since I started skiing in Val d'isere on a regular basis, albeit I've never been a seasonnaire. There have been so many changes in Val d'isere over those 30 years.

This could be my last winter of skiing, so I'm hoping it's a good one.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You know the ski season has started when......………… Laughing Laughing

Looking forward to your regular updates Steve. Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great update! Awesome pic. Is it fair to say that this is the best start to a season in 10 years?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great to have you back @Steve Angus,

Hope all is well, looking forward to another great season and, of course, all your insight and local knowledge.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
welshflyer wrote:
Well done,

OK is actually 2 famous ski racers from Val d'isere, Oreiller & Killy.

I think you will find it's named after the two famous Irish ski racers, O'Riley and Kelly.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
FrediKanoute wrote:
Great update! Awesome pic. Is it fair to say that this is the best start to a season in 10 years?

We were off piste in deep powder for the first 3 days last year. Val is often very good at the end of November.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Steve Angus, what's the status of Tuffs restaurant? Also is the cut through from Orange to the bubble still there or do we have to walk round Tuffs?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Welcome back Steve!! I've been waiting for your first official post of the new season. Always makes me happy to know everything is almost ready to go and the lifts will soon start turning.

I'm booked at the Neilson hotel in March (not the Toviere, the other one) and I cannot wait to get back to the EK, I really missed it this year. First time in ten years I didn't get a trip there.

harvsurrey wrote:
Good to see you back Steve, I am back in resort for Christmas and will be enjoying the fact my good friends at Neilson now have La Toviere exclusively.
Then back with my usual group and in the same hotel again in March .

If our paths cross on the bus i will be sure to say Hi again.

Currently trying to get into Folie/fruitere for there first of the new regular Tuesday evening events on Christmas eve.

Will await your updates with baited breath.

Harv

Hey Harv, how's it going? What date in March are you there? We might actually meet at last! I'm there 14th-21st.

How come you left CS??
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It seems like this thread covers more than just weather reports so am looking for local (or regulars) advice please:

Family of 4 (including x2 young teenage daughters) visiting Val in January (5/1 to 12/1). We are staying at Avancher. Looking for recommendations for on-slope restaurants for lunch. Don’t want to pay Russian Oligarch prices but would prefer not to have to self-service and would also prefer to book (although booking not imperative as should be a quieter week?). As it will be early January I suspect we will want to sit indoors for lunch?

Many thanks! snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@HoneyBunny ..... Ali I seem to have lost your number.
If you have mine ending 465 text me.

I am in Val 29th feb to the 7th March so we miss each other again

Text and i will explain CS .... i should return as i had just paid my year
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@1556garyt, very good choice of hotel, their restaurant is one of our favourites in resort. For on the hill, the new Refuge du Solaise is excellent, get a table by the window if you can. In good weather the terrace of edelweiss is as good a view as you'll find. Both can be a bit spendy but needn't be if you choose carefully. Triffolet is a great mid-range choice and a short ski to la daille if you linger over an extra bottle or two. Advisable to book ahead for all of them.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@1556garyt

Restaurant l'Edelweiss half way down Mangard blue run in Fornet (thats really a red) is excellent.

Fruitere at Folie Douce , inside is good and i recommend the beef stew ( see if you can get a table in the caves)

Panoramic up at the top of the funicular on the way to the Grand Motte in Tignes the girls will enjoy meeting Igloo the huge St Bernard.

If its a sunny day and you can sit outside Bar de l'Ouillette on the right up on the Solaice lift .

Down in the snowfront of the village the restaraunt at the Yule is great , the dessert room is a must see/do

None are cheap but also not really stupidly expensive if you choose the food wisely.

Not thst I like a good lunch stop you understand
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for all the welcome back folks... good to be back!

FrediKanoute - yes overall it is certainly looking very good - it is the extent of amount open that I think makes it good (or will be open I should think). But yes looking good and yes you do sometimes / quite often get big powder days early season with no one about - its ace!

Dr John - I think the actual restaurant part will be open on time - they seem to be focussing their attention on that. The rest (the accommodation part) will not be finished until this time next year! No way will that cut through to the Gondola from that side be possible anymore - booo! Thats why it looks like a cut through further up above the YSE chalets has been made instead - well Clare and I reckoned thats what it looked like they were doing earlier in the Summer - but dont quote me on that! They could just of easily have been working on drainage or something!

1556garyt - most definately covers more than just weather thats for sure. When I read your message I took a double take... you have lessons booked in with my wife that week and we have spent much of the day talking about your request for lunch recommendations - ha ha !!!! Anyway think between what is written above and what Clare has told you I think most things have been covered. As others have said places like the Yule, Panoramic are a little pricey but it depends on what you want to balance up quality with price.

Todays update shortly
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Steve Angus, thanks - yes my daughters are very much looking froward to to their lessons with Clare. She has also guaranteed 6 bluebird days so all good! You can never have too many restaurant recommendations?! Little Angel
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

Things are looking pretty cool up there and we are getting more and more excited with only a few days to go now.

There is also lots more snow forecast and after the last 24 - 48 hours of above average temperatures are going to be replaced with more normal temps! However as always the amount of snow to come is up in the air a little and already the arrival of the front has been delayed somewhat!

Anyway we are really hoping that the colder temperatures and the snow will really finish the preparations off for opening weekend.

Talking about opening weekend and what is to come we of course have lots of ski tests over the opening weekend - I believe these will be as usual at the bottom of the Solaise so plenty of chances to try out the latest gear! Once the hype of opening weekend is behind us we always have a few days or a week of calm time when everything seems to be go quiet once again - perhaps this year with the nice new snow that wont be the case - who knows. However very shortly after that the World Cup ski races suddenly come into view and we have the Mens technical weekend followed by the Women 'speed' weekend. Should be good!

So today was a strange day as I spent virtually the whole day underground sorting out my underground parking space - it took hours! I had tons of stuff to stack up against the back wall (had to get everything sorted out first too)... then get the Summer car tyres put away and so on before finally putting away the tools and spare supplies from the Summer works... I know when that boring and mucky job is done then the 'Summer' season is well and truly over which means that Winter has really arrived!

I spent the afternoon at home working out a few things before taking Olivia (who is now a growing 5 1/2 year old confident little girl who is doing well at school with lots of friends) to her art class in town... along with gymnastics class which i will be taking her to tomorrow evening she just loves her art - bravo!

And that was that!

TTFN

P.S. Can already feel myself getting back in the swing with this blog!
latest report
@Steve Angus, welcome back and now ready for the 2019/20 season. Will catch up with you soon.
latest report
Winter is here! Steve's back! Just love all your updates and news. We'll be back at New Year in VC and I am so looking forward to it
snow report
I’ll echo everyone else and agree winter is now finally here. Great to have the blog back Steve and look forward to reading it over the coming season. See you in tignes in a couple of weeks I hope. X
latest report
Can’t wait for Friday and the yearly trip to Val D !
snow report
Glad to see you back online and it was nice to chat to you and Clare down in Aime the other week.
snow report
Wont get another like that for a while

Thanks folks for the further comments above... good to be back!

Well today has been a really special day spent with my daughter...

The day started very well as it was gone 0800 before there was a sound in our household - that is a real lie in in these parts!

Anyway after Ben was off to creche and a suitable time Olivia and I headed into town. It felt like Winter again this morning as there had been a decent amount of snow overnight and it came and went all day. Although it must be said that the temps were a little on the warm side so it was wet, VERY wet... but hey ho for a season start this is GOOD!

So Olivia and I first of all ran an errand and then headed to the library and found some books and toys to play with... and then when it shut for lunch it was our lunch time so we had a really nice lunch at the Rozy burger bar... good to be back in that place - nice burger and Olivia had the largest ever bolognaise you could ever imagine! So we stumbled out of there rather full and apart from a little play time in the snow we walked to the leisure centre where it was one of Olivias school friends birthday party. So an hour of craziness with kids running around all over the place and then some yummy cake it was time to get in the car and take her to her gym class down in Bourg.... luckily the weather had improved enough so the road was not too bad - phew!

Whilst she did that I picked up a large click and collect food shop and went to the hardware shop to collect a couple of bits before catching the end of her class.... and then bringing her back up, putting all the shopping away and that pretty much sums the day up - phew I'm knackered!

Whilst we were walking about town today we walked across the snow front therefore I took the opportunity to have a look in the window at the ongoing works for the new Brussels / Mademoiselle Val d'Isere hotel - this is going to be a 5* Palace hotel and wow it should be good. BUT having said that the works are running behind schedule - another 3 weeks until it opens but boy it looks way behind schedule to me - no floors down, still only half the second fix of electrics done, sinks nowhere to be seen etc - it has a long way to go still!

Anyway folks can't think of anything else for today - as always tune in tomorrow for more updates.

TTFN

First impressions can be misleading - inside (and some places on the outside - look closely at a couple of the balconies) is totally unready at the moment - lets hope they get it done as there will be a lot of refunds going on in Xmas week at this rate if it is not complete!

The snowfront is getting there!

P.S. Check out this amazing video of the pisteurs doing a practice evac off the Rogoney lift today in town. - http://www.webtvvaldisere.com/upload_vids/2019-11-27%20Exercice%20évacuation%20Rogoney.mp4
P.P.S. The list of pistes open for opening weekend has just been released this evening - amazing list actually - most of the high level pistes across the whole of the resort - PLENTY to enjoy for the whole of opening week that is for sure!
latest report
Two questions:
1. Will the link to Tignes be open?
2. Will the run back to Val D be open ?

Thank you so much for these updates - they have a real value !!!
snow report
1. Yes, the link via Tommeuses / Toviere will be open
2. Which run? Santons is not on the open list. Le Face will be open until they start doing race prep. Runs to La Daille and from Solaise will be open.

http://www.radiovaldisere.com/index.php?p=infos&id=8196
https://en.tignes.net/what-to-see-do/skiing/winter-ski-area
latest report
You guys are awesome - if the La Daille piste is open, i know how to get Home from La Folie Deuce Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Firet round on me on La Bananas for this Intel Happy
ski holidays
DanishRider wrote:
Firet round on me on La Bananas for this Intel Happy

Can you hang around until mid January for me to claim that? Very Happy
latest report
I wish Smile Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I wish Smile Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DanishRider, What time on Saturday/Sunday
ski holidays
Im in thursday around midnight - Will stay there until sunday at 17:00 approx Happy
snow report
Any time Will do Happy
snow conditions
@Steve Angus, every building project that asked for an extension to continue outside work until 4 December this year was rejected so cant see those balconies being finished until May unless a huge fine is paid.
snow conditions
Meet up for a beer saturday?
snow report
@Steve Angus, appreciate this is an area you might not want to comment too precisely on, but what is your opinion on the off-piste pack stability? I can't help thinking it will be generally unstable with the 2 or 3 large dumps and little time for layers to bond, on the other hand I've seen quite a few FB & Instagram vids of people skiing powder, with Grand Vallon especially looking very enticing.
snow conditions

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 8-10-20 7:14; edited 2 times in total
latest report
@Steve Angus, See you at 9 next Thursday at the La Daille Funicular!
ski holidays
DanishRider - think the others have covered the above... however a couple of other interesting points... the funi wont be opening for at least the first week of the season due to a technical issue. The Face will be open for a week or so until preparations for the World Cup start so a good opportunity to get a ski in on that this early (rare) in the season. The Village free chair lift on the snow front and the snow front in general is having problems as a couple of the snowguns have had problems so will not open this weekend but on the other hand there are going to be 18 ski / snowboard companies present to showcase and let you test there stuff - so all in all should be a good opening weekend!

The pisteurs practising their static line evacuation yesterday in case of a complete lift breakdown on the Rogoney lift

muppet - totally agree and yes all the cranes are coming down frantically today and tomorrow so the fines dont start racking up! Yes was good to bump into you like that - sorry was not putting 2 and 2 together when we were chatting re this Snowhead connection then!

Dr John - I think the instability will be there where lots of wind loading has occurred (north facing) AND also places where the underlying rocks / surface are not very 'cohesive' but I think it will be a case of staying off big faces for a while and also noting what has slid and what has not AND what has had skier compaction.... but it will take time and the risk will be more random and localised than is normal for this time of the year!

Mogmogmog - now thats a question... The Face earylish in the day is a good bet... ditto Trolles and Descent in Tignes and IF Sache has been pisted then all good bets.... pretty much all other options are going to be tricky or very tricky!

Philip1972 - yup - looking forward to it... should be good!
ski holidays
Steve, if the funi is not open next week, where would you like to meet?
snow conditions
Philip1972 wrote:

I was thinking that and since I know things could change lets keep the meet point same place and can always walk the 100m back to the La Daille gondola and head up that way IF the funi is a no go! That OK?
ski holidays
Steve Angus wrote:
Philip1972 wrote:

I was thinking that and since I know things could change lets keep the meet point same place and can always walk the 100m back to the La Daille gondola and head up that way IF the funi is a no go! That OK?

Yep thats ideal.

Phil
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy