Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
Here's Radio Val's take on the season. Make a coffee, sit down and enjoy Little Angel

https://www.facebook.com/1130303713650017/videos/2051299961665867/
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Val competition dates announced...

https://www.ledauphine.com/savoie/2019/05/24/val-d-isere-on-connait-les-dates-du-criterium-de-la-premiere-neige
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kitenski - No not working the CWC but have a few tickets for them.... Eng v WI the big one I have a ticket for in a couple of weeks time - looking forward to that. However took Olivia to her first international match the other week when we were back in the UK - Eng v Pakistan at the Ageas in Southampton... the entertainments such as climbing wall, laser quest etc were more interesting for Olivia though... she did see Jos Butler hit his ton though!
bar shaker - sounds good... by the looks of things I will be in town then yes for beers. And that is a good video yes. And thanks for posting the dates for the World Cup in December - thanks - saved me a job there!
muppet - sounds lovely - sounds good!

Is that really a month!!

Well what a month it has been personally... there was a very enjoyable week over in VT - although the wind and cloud etc made it an interesting end of season thats for sure!

I rushed back from VT at it was pretty much straight into Clares 40th birthday party celebration time... she had decided to make herself a cake already not knowing that I had organised her one already so we had a LOT of cake floating about. Some members of Clares family came for a special meal out al together and we had a champagne fuelled meal at the Fondue Factory which was actually very good - last time tried eating there a couple of years ago we were not impressed but this time it was much better! Anyway after that we headed out for some drinks at Coin des Amie and had a lovely evening! However the crowning glory of the day was the cake that I had had commissioned... someone down in Moutiers made it for me at (not to bad) a great expensive!

So no sooner was that over and done with but it was Olivias birthday... so it was more cake fest and then the party etc... but anyone with small kids knows that the build up to the party and the clean up afterwards triples the time allocated to it physically and mentally! Anyway we hired with another of Olivias friend the new carousel merry-go-round thing in Tignes Le Lac next to the swimming pool "Lagon" - so it was very fun few hours watching the dozen kids or so go mental in there... and of course more cake - ha ha!

However with all good things something bad has to follow and that was the hell of doing my annual tax return! It is the same every year about 4/5 days of a LOT of coffee drinking and VERY little sleep but I got there in the end! Yay!

And then that lead nicely up to our annual trip back to the UK on holiday... only 10 days or so but what a time it was. There was visits into London, seeing all members of the family, spoiling meals you name it we did it and what a nice time we had! But anyway that all came to an end when we got back to Val about a week ago! Although we are off on a mini family break to Annecy later this week and then flying back to the UK next weekend for the weekend for a close friends wedding.

So lots of down time so far!

Meanwhile back here in Val it is of course the inter season which basically means everyone leaves town and everything closes but this year it is worse than that as the weather has been pretty horrid...

Firstly rightly at the end of the season there was the annual Val golf open and as you can see from the pic it was hardly golfing weather when they set off at breakfast time that morning!

For those who have ever ridden the Grand Pre lift then you will recognise the face in the middle of this pic... Gilles finally hung up his smiley attitude to working that lift (some 40 years working on the Grand Pre and Fountaine Froid lifts over the years - WOW - amazing respect) at the end of the season:

However not all smiles in the resort after someone was badly injured after their car left the road just outside the resort above the (very low water level at this time of the year) dammed lake. Oh dear but thankfully no deaths (somehow!)

And finally the work is ongoing to get the road up the Col open - a couple more weeks work on that front at least it should be!

Ill be back next month for more updates as to what is happening this end!

TTFN
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gilles was lovely and much loved by a lot of people
Always had a smile and always gave me a Fartherly arm when getting on the lift with
my much taller partner and son.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Steve Angus, pleased to see you’re getting some down time. Tell Clare we say Happy Birthday for her milestone- she still has a long way to go before she catches us up! Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quite a month

Well it has been a long month and a lot seems to have happened in that time.

We had a great few days in Annexy camping with some OK weather but mainly some lovely family time, cycle rides, BBQ's and all things good! That was immediately followed by a long weekend in the UK for one of Clares best friends wedding. All the logistics went according to plan and we had a really nice few days with good weather.

After only a few days back in Val it was back to the UK for about 10 days. (Yes I have been jet-setting the last month!). This time the trip was a very different one. Effectively I spent 10 days getting things ready, packing, cancelling this and that, meetings with financial advisors and accountants etc... all with the aim of getting mum into a care home (now I am working on selling the family home from afar!). I did manage to fit in a couple of trips to watch some of the Cricket World Cup in Southampton and only lost one day due to bad weather but the other day was a great day seeing England win! Anyway now I have moved mum into a care home not a million miles away from my step sister (which is a fair distance from where she was living) and all seems to be going OK so far!

So that was a week ago and since then I have been back in Val and enjoying Summer. It has been hot and supposed to get hotter this week (before I head back to the UK later this week - a short visit to my mums old house to meet estate agents with regards selling the house and secondly to start 3 weeks of coach driving work across Europe).

Meanwhile in Val the main news is that the building works continue apace... the Col finally got opened up and the first cycling competition of the Summer took place yesterday. Meanwhile that Summer feeling is definitely here and it was over 30 here in town today. The actual Summer season does not start until this weekend but we are in that nice phase at the moment where it feels like Summer but it is not too busy yet (not that it ever really gets that busy here in the Summer!).

The next month for me revolves around mainly driving work... that is taking up 3 weeks... the other days are spent here in Val having some family time. Anyway I have a trip to the south of France near Bordeaux a couple of times as well as a trip to Lake Garda... that is what my schedule looks like!

The clearing work on the road up to the Col d'Iseran was a BIG job!

As the road is cleared the first few motorists were keen to drive over and towards Italy or vice-a-versa

The Summer ski season here in Val started a couple of weeks ago... it lasts a few weeks longer.

The first event of the Summer - the music fete was last Friday and that was followed by the first cycling comp...

muppet - agreed, he will be missed
ynnecha - ha ha thanks very much!

Anyway folks keep safe, enjoy Summer and see you in a month.

TTFN
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@muppet, Fine if you were a bloke. Skiing with the Tignes Ladies I always had to set on the right on the Grand pre......
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Work has finally begun on the Moris Pub.

Hoardings are up and the contractors have moved in.

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
bar shaker wrote:

Looks like a souvenir hunter has 'acquired' the 'M'.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No there going to give it a lick of paint and replace the M with a B and all will be spiffingly fine Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@chocksaway, Laughing
Surely it will fall over a cliff edge if they do that?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You stole my thunder bar shaker as was going to do my monthly today and mention this - oh well ha ha!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another month passes

Well I can't believe a whole month has passed by and it has been another busy month!

The first 2/3 of it was based doing my coach driving work... I had a week in the south of France where the weather was very hot and it was a good week all in all! Then I had a fantastic week in Lake Garda Italy which was a long drive but there was a team of 4 of us on 2 coaches so it was quite a social week. It was a school music trip so we got to see some decent performances by the kids in the various places we visited! Anyway after that it was another week back down in the South of France so a far few miles run!

Interspersed with the trips to the continent I visited my mum in her new care home and sorted bits out with that - she seems to be settling nicely. I also managed to get her old house on the market although the market seems very flat at the moment - arghhh!

So a busy few weeks.

I have now been back in Val for about 10 days now and will be here for about the next 3 weeks before going back for another few weeks of driving stint. So it is really holiday times this end of course being school Summer hols. There are lots and lots of events happening all the time. Of course it was only a week ago that we had the Tour de France and debacle that turned out to be at the end of the day... but it was a good day non the less before that and the caravan coming through was cool too! It is also Summer Fete time at the moment too - we had the weekend last when there was the float display in the rain too, today was over in Tignes for a fete too... this coming weekend there is the arts and crafts markets and displays etc - it is a good couple of weekends of events here in the mountains!

This was not my daughter class but the class below her doing their music show I reported about last month!

The fishing season has started at the Ouillette - I dont suppose he just dropped his nett in the lake and caught all those in one swoop!!!

A microlight crashed atop the Bellevarde too - still dont know what caused it though!

This was actually last years photo but there was the electric car show in La Daille too

Although I dont think it ever made it onto the TV screens they painted the Fornet Cable yellow in honour of the Tour de France coming through town!

We have had our share of the bad weather (not only on Tour de France day either) including massive downpours, thunder and lightning!

Last weekends float display - the theme was 'rural French life'... in fact look closely and you will see me in the pic!

Of interest to us skiers they are trying to do some earth works on the verte piste down to the Folie Douce so the gradient is more gradual... but in typical french style the batteries for the earth working machines were removed by the owner of the Folie the other night as he was unhappy that lots of business might be lost as skiers ski past and miss the Folie and the gradient would make it hard to cut back right - talks are happening between the Marie and the Folie now - haha !

Today the Marmottes cable was being re-spliced as it has stretched by nearly 4m since it was put on the wheels all those years ago!!!!

The new Brussels Hotel on the snow front is starting to take shape now!

I think that is all for this month...

Hope everyone is well.

TTFN
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bar shaker wrote:

Soon to be swanky apartments I'm sure. I wonder if they'll do live music anywhere else. Is there anywhere other than Cocorico and The Danois now for decent bands?

Whart are they doing to the Folie? It gets bigger every year! Funny about the owner objecting to the landscaping but I think that last pitch must be very scary for beginners - not exactly green.

I tried to find you in the photo Steve, is it you in the purple jacket and beige baaseball cap?
ski holidays
Was the microlight (ULM) pilot OK, Steve?
snow report
@Steve Angus, mixed feelings about the piste modelling on the verte. Making one side easier will be better for learners, not a bad thing as that pitch can get very choppy after a dump. Folie owner correct about people missing the turning, but the Folie has caused a lot of trouble over past few seasons (bouncers monitoring the bubble and confiscating alcohol from punters on the way up. Come one, this isn't bloody Benidorm) so I won't be sad to see it quieter. On the other hand, it will provide fewer opportunities for us regulars at Roses to laugh at the numpties cartwheeling down to La Daille after closing time.
snow report
HoneyBunny - yes probably.... but other places - no there is a severe limited option in Val for live music in Val - certainly apres style anyway!

They're building the Folie out more to make more dining space inside basically - in the restaurant that is not the self service as they are continuing to build into the vacant area left when the lift was taken out!

You have VERY good eyes - that is exactly me yes in the photo!

bar shaker - no idea I'm afraid!

Dr John - ha ha very true yes! But I think the re-gradeing of the ground will be a good thing overall!
ski holidays
And then it was over

Where has the last month gone!

This is definitely how I always remember Summer in Val - lots of street events going on and lovely weather all round! But it comes to an end all too quickly and this month was no different.

The month has been in two very specific halves for me.

The first half of August revolved around me enjoying some family time, getting some bits done at home, enjoying the (generally) nice weather etc. The second half of the month I was back in the UK and was supposed to be doing a 2 weeks tour for a Chinese group around the UK. Now it is a very long story but basically the coach kept on breaking down so I ended up having to cut the tour short and drive the coach back to base empty whilst someone else took over the tour in another working coach! Arghhh! However this gave me about a week (as had my flight booked to come back already) to get to my mums house all packed up - well most it anyway! So it is about 75% the way there now.... just need a buyer for the house now! Ha ha.

So I got back to Val a couple of days ago and now the next 3 months revolves around preparing for the Winter as well as having a couple of weeks in the UK for a family holiday next month but apart from that getting lots done now schools have gone back! I have a very long to do list before the Winter starts - arghhh!

There are some very big fish in the Lac d'ouilette and the end of season fishing comp saw some big uns pulled out. In fact when Clare and went for a long hike up the valley (we took the Solaise lift up then walked from there across towards the Arcelle and effectively walked down the piste before ending up in the Manchet Valley for lunch) and saw some of the fishing going on one day. It was a long hike and certainly tiring on the legs despite the fact that it was downhill only!

They have been doing lots of maintenance works on the Isere river especially on the underground channels where the River flows through town.

They have also had to do some remodelling of the ground above the Legattaz part of town - just off to the side of the Face (below that very first steep pitch). They need to do the work as part of new safety standards that are being brought in and not because of an extra threat or anything!

Back to school...

A rather steep walk down the Arcelle piste! Skiing it is soooooooooo much easier - ha ha!

If Ben leans over anymore then he'll be in that drink! It was a hot day mind you so everyone was drinking from that trough!

As well as the coach breaking down in the worst place possible right in the middle of the entrance to this hotel the door fell off too - it is a VERY long story which ill impart to you in person if anyone is ever interested sometime!

Clare has taken up sewing in the last month or two aswell as I think she wants to set up a little cottage industry next Summer and sell her wares... anyway she did a little tester by taking apart her favourite jumper the other day and turning it into a bag! Not too bad for a first timer!

There is now a cricket club in Annecy staffed by expats of course and they had a family fun event the other week... so it was really nice being able to get down there and the kids were both able to have a bit of fun!

Clare also took up road biking - we both rented road bikes for the day and whilst I stopped somewhat short and enjoyed the sun (read that as took one hell of a breather!) Clare made it all the way up to the Col - not bad going for her first day / attempt!

Anyway I think that is all for now.

Until next month when it will be well into Autumn take care.

TTFN
snow report
@Steve Angus, great update as always.

Bad luck on the choice of coach! Sounds like a certain Chris Rea song provided the soundtrack to that trip.

Cricket in Annecy eh? Wonder what their well heeled French citizens make of that? In the lake without bouncing a six?

Enjoy your autumn and looking forward to first reports of a covering of snow.
snowHead
latest report
I love the ride up to the Col, the ride down is amazing. Nice to see they have taken all the stickers off the signs and cleaned them up.

I'm back out in 10 days, looking forward to some quiet hikes up Manchet and Sassiere areas. Plus I've got to paint the window frames and wax my skis and boards.

Winter is coming... it normally starts snowing in 6-7 weeks.
latest report
PeakyB - thanks. Yes that Chris Rea song would be very apt!!!! It should have been on constant repeat for the whole tour me thinks! Yea cricket is spreading with more and more clubs across France - pretty cool really! Wont be long until the snow start sticking atop the mountains - more on that in my monthly report below!

bar shaker - hope you had a good trip out here... the snow has been coming quite regularly now! Yes I must one day get a proper bike and get up to the col and back!!!!

Autumn is most definitely in the air!

Well I sit here and write as the rain has been pouring down outside here in town for most of the day (well afternoon at least). That means that once again we are getting some snow on the mountain tops. The first snow of the Winter arrived about 2/3 weeks ago and as is usual there is a cold start to the day but it soon warms up and the snow melts. However the Winter is definitely on its way now it is October! When I come to write more updates next month it will be right on the doorstep and so much to do!

Talking of things to do getting down the mountain as you do it is still a different world down there... we actually were at a BBQ down in Bourg today as the snow was talking atop of the highest peaks this evening (rain in town) how very strange!

I have also been getting busier and busier with the pre-season jobs and of course the building season is in full swing at the moment. I have a fair few jobs on the go with some DIY on our apartments, a few paid jobs here and there and other bits and bobs on the list! It will only get busier and busier as the season gets closer - arghhh!

We are heading back to the UK in a couple of weeks time for a couple of weeks holiday and the plan is to be back in France before the 31/10 in case all hell breaks lose, or not! Going back to the UK for the hols is always nice to see family etc but at the same time does not seem like a holiday dashing all over the place seeing friends and family! Talking of holidays I took Clare on a surprise trip to Portugal for 3 nights a few weeks back as an anniversary present. It had taken quite a lot of planning as Clares mum came out to look after the kids for a few days which needed booking up quite early! So we went to Faro and had an amazing few days - on the beach, quiet hotel, good weather and amazing (and cheap) food. It was a brilliant trip and well needed rest!

Anyway as usual the photos to sum up the month:

What it looks atop the mountains when the first snows of the month arrive

Every night of the week bar Sunday night at the moment one of the main tunnels between Val and the dam is having major upgrade work done on it. Between about 2300 and 0600 the whole road in and out of Val is closed. It will be closed every night of the week so they can get whatever it is that needs doing done. We got caught out coming back from our trip to Portugal as it was late at night and had forgotten the road would be closed - queue a very cold few hours 'sleeping' in our car!!!!!

The Tufs development is coming along at a pace.... having taken a walk over that way a few days ago luckily it does NOT seem as if the development is moving ACROSS the piste too much towards the funi thankfully but it is cutting into mountain side a lot.! Will it be ready for the start of the Winter - hmmmmmm!

Which lift and piste is that then?.... quite an easy one I think but nice to go for a hike up there before the snows arrive

My little boy and I take a long hike from the back of our house into town! One of many hikes the last month!

Anyway folks I think that is all for this month. Ill be back next month - perhaps a monthly update at the start of the month or if time is tight then ill just start on my dailys later in the month onwards!

TTFN and pray for some nice early snow as well.
snow report
@Steve Angus,

Manchet Express Lift and Arcelle Piste
latest report
Backcountryboarder wrote:
@Steve Angus,

Yea easy of course!
snow report
Backcountryboarder wrote:
@Steve Angus,

the offpiste to the left of the lift can be excellent, partly because there are no rocks so it doesn't need too much snow snowHead
snow report
@Steve Angus
What is the development they are doing at Tufs? Is that all residential?
snow report
...and, though I feel I should know, where exactly is it please?

I know where Tufs lift is in Val Claret, but that picture is Val Deezairre innit?
Puzzled
latest report
It is the Tufs restaurant in La Daille. Looks like the new building will blot out the chance of sun on the terrace - but perhaps it's an illusion ... Cool
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tuf’s is the restaurant to the left of the new La Daille bubble going up the hill.
I had heard it was to be seasonaires accommodation, its not being marketed by any estate agency’s in town, but it could be for a tour operator!

This was taken in the summer and you can see where the new part has risen from
ski holidays
@Steve Angus, we did the same hike in Sept. It was fabulous until the entire sole fell off my girlfriend's walking boot. Afterwards she admitted she'd had them for 30 years!

We found a great rock to eat a picnic off and didn't see another human for the whole time but we did see a baby eagle calling its mum from its perch. Also saw plenty of other eagles out soaring and diving for food. Loads of Marmottes too, many only a few metres away from us. Amazing to witness.
snow report
@carfla7, @muppet, thanks, oh yes I can see exactly where it is now.

Lucky saisonnaires if they get accommodation in such a great location as that.
snowHead
latest report
@bar shaker, as well as the eagles you might also see lammergeier (bearded vultures) in the vanoise.
snow conditions
Steve Angus wrote:
HoneyBunny - yes probably.... but other places - no there is a severe limited option in Val for live music in Val - certainly apres style anyway!

They're building the Folie out more to make more dining space inside basically - in the restaurant that is not the self service as they are continuing to build into the vacant area left when the lift was taken out!

You have VERY good eyes - that is exactly me yes in the photo!

Hurrah!! To be fair, I think I've seen a photo of you in that outfit before.

Another live music pub would be fun in the evenings as we've lost the Pacific Bar and the Moris, but at least there's Cocorico for cracking apres.

Not long to wait until those pistes are white again, I'm so happy I'm booked for March, I missed Val a lot this year.
snow conditions
@HoneyBunny, petit danois?
snow conditions
@holidayloverxx, Yes, I mentioned that above..

Quote:
Is there anywhere other than Cocorico and The Danois now for decent bands?

They have a bit of live music in Cafe Face, but usually it's quite low-key.

I've never been that keen on the Danois. Rude staff and full of seasonaires with that snotty "we work here so we're better than you" attitude. They make me feel old as well!!

Maybe it'll be better next year.
ski holidays
@HoneyBunny, missed that sorry. I quite like the PD, never found the staff rude - is Martin from the Pacific still there?
snow report
@HoneyBunny, Le Hibou is another spot with occasional live music too.
ski holidays
Oh yes, Hibou. I LOVE it. Food is great and very good value. And Nicole and Richie are the loveliest people you could meet.
latest report
@sno trax, sounds good! Where is it?
snow report
HoneyBunny wrote:
@sno trax, sounds good! Where is it?

On the main road at the Portillo building/bus stop at the edge of town near Le Cret. Keep going past XV towards La Daille
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy