Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
Val Pistuers have just posted that there were several off piste avalanches today but all have ended well for those involved.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PeakyB - ah maybe I'm wrong this year and they dont clash - I thought they were - that will be good news!
HoneyBunny - chin up!
Kenzie - ha ha
Sowler - gonna talk about that in a second! Yes they were wearing a transceiver - they were dug out quickly FYI!
bar shaker - 'Monday Morning Heros' - I love that phrase! Its true though.

Idiots everywhere

It was a crazy morning getting the kids to school / creche on the back of a poor nights sleep but hey the sun was shining and we should be happy about that!

It was one of those days where there were idiots everywhere... the first 'proper' encounter was at the bottom of the 'couloir to nowhere' down here in La Daille... people just seem to go blindly off piste and in this particular case you end up at cliffs... the problem will be (& since this incident happened mid morning there were a few more tracks in the same sort of area and it will only get worse over the next few days) people following. Anyway in this case the boarder seems to have fallen down the cliffs at the bottom... somehow he got up and boarded away - my colleague on first hand account tells me (as he was not too far away skiing another area that IS passable... that there was LOTS of blood... my colleague called it in and the pisteurs turned up 'just in case' but the boarder seems to have had a lucky escape this time!

Red line - boarders line above the cliffs, splat in the yellow circle then you can see his line as he rides away to the left as we look.

The next thing that came in was a slide in Cugnai... turns out that 2 people were caught but were gotten out OK... however at the time they could not be sure that other people were not buried so anyone off piste in the area was drafted in to help in the form of a static line probe that lasted some 90 minutes. Thankfully it all seems to have ended well... thanks to some SCGB members for posting these photos - Mike Crompton and Carol Holden:

Oh and this great video clip too:

https://www.facebook.com/mike.crompton.33/videos/10161937798995112/

Anyway I was teaching a lovely lady (she actually it turns out new my half sister from her work days a decade or so) this morning and we worked on her short turns on the Arcelle and boy there was some good changes made - well done! We lapped around and around on the Arcelle and the instabilities could be seen over on the East Face of the Charvet side... I saw one skier pull his airbag as he set off a slab lower down. It was a lovely 3 hours spent together and she will be in my group for this week so I am expecting more improvements - hurrah!

And apparently there was another slide involving a group on the lavachet wall this afternoon too... it was only yesterday that Henry (HAT Off Piste) was saying that this was setting up in a similar way to the deadly slide during half term in 2017 when 4 people died on the Lavachet Wall! Timely but scary! This slide today had 2 people buried but they both got themselves out in one piece (I won't name the local who is a mountain guide (French) that works in Tignes who are known for pushing the boundaries in a reckless way!)... he (when questioned by an off duty colleague of mine who saw it happen) shrugged it off in front of his client denying it was dangerous out there on that spot today - idiot!

So I had an afternoon at home and didnt get as much done as I would have hoped... tomorrow I am down the valley doing a food shop so might not post until quite late - we shall see!

Finally this evening I went with Clare and Ben to watch my little girl in a music show... she is taking 'music' for an after school club and they have been practicing their singing this term and so she was up on the stage at the conference centre with her little friends singing - it was very cute!

https://scontent-cdg2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/51221402_10161454447830416_2176139785763028992_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent-cdg2-1.xx&oh=1efa358b02ba1338e762028490a1d3f6&oe=5CF54C5B
Lovely pic this evening

TTFN

PS the season dates for 2019 / 2020 have been published : 30/11/19 - 3/5/20 (oh and the Summer 2019 dates are 29/6/19 - 1/9/19 (with the glacier open 8/6/19 - 12/7/19)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A lovely group

The sun was shining once again and I had the started the day with a little bit of a panic after our tenants at our little place we rent weekly called to say that there was a leak coming through from the apartment above - arghhh! However it would seem that now at day end the plumbing has been turned off to the apartment above and the problem is in hand until the actual problem can be fixed. But at least it has stopped coming through - phew crisis averted!

I didnt have to take either kid this morning as Clare ended up doing them both but I still got to the meeting point nice and early so I could contact the management company re our little problem via email!

Anyway I met my group which comprised a couple of lovely ladies who knew each other along with the lady I taught yesterday am. We did technique up on the Belvarde mainly on red runs bridging what I had worked on yesterday with some new stuff for today! It was a really good session even though I do say so myself! We finished the morning and I skied home and frantically tried to get some things done before having to go and collect the kids from school / creche and then after that I have just been down the valley to do a food shop and then put it all away. Im knackered thats for sure!

So after my warnings from yesterday I was not surprised to hear that quite a few people had been 'helped' (not sure how you read that!) out of danger in the colouir to nowhere today... so lets hope people start to learn NOT to follow tracks blindly! So as pisteurs were tied up with that it means they were not available to help elsewhere and thankfully there does not seem to have been any major incident today - phew!

So the first bookings for Winter 2019/2020 have started to roll in therefore even though this season has not finished yet next Winter is starting to hot up so get in there early for your choice of dates and times for lessons for next Winter now!

The bad parking awards have been dished out for 2019 already! - ha ha!

Empty slopes - it won't be like this in a couple of weeks time that is for sure here on the Diebold!!!

https://www.facebook.com/steve.angus/videos/10161457630830416/
So this was a video from today of one of my students in my group.... I think of most of the people I have taught over the years this is pretty representational of what 'good' skiing is all about. Rounded turn shape, flowing (continuously) movements, good lateral and rotational separation, good posture, balance etc, steady and continuous speed of descent... all these and more are what define good skiing. There are so many people who could learn from watching this good visual image AND YES it is not perfect but a great template of what typical everyday skiers should be attempting on the slopes!

TTFN
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I can't see your FB vids Steve, so I've put in a friend request from the work account (I don't have Facebook).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
HoneyBunny wrote:
I can't see your FB vids Steve, so I've put in a friend request from the work account (I don't have Facebook).

Oh dear. Me bad! Can you see it now on FB???
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Steve Angus, I can’t see the FB video either.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
another who can't see the videos.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I can't see them either
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Steve Angus wrote:
so lets hope people start to learn NOT to follow tracks blindly!

Best laugh I've had for a while - it's not the hope that gets you, it's the never ending proof that people leave their brains behind when going on a ski holiday (and, to be fair to the punters, this applies to many a seasonnaire too). Perhaps the piste map should be updated with 'Here be dragons' marking the danger points - though no doubt people would complain that they went there looking for the dragons. rolling eyes
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've never been able to see your FB videos either - I thought maybe it was just me. Instagram?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There is a route out of the colouir to nowhere. Exit right before the cliff and there is some rope tied to a couple trees to drop you down into the next colouir to the right. It is pretty exteme however.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another lovely day out there today however a French lady/girl jammed her poles between my skis rather than taking them into the solace gondola

One pole snapped in half as we entered the lift station the other as she rammed it in the tip had gouged the base .

Then as I showed her not only did they not apologise but retorted with verbal abuse .

Unfortunately I admit I lost it and ranted back only to be told to Be Nice please! off back to my brexit disaster of a country and this place was there's.

He then raised his arm/hand across my face

The words this might be the last thing you do today brought him to an abrupt stop

As I walked away the pisteur put his arm on my shoulder shrugged and smiled ... but never ever have I experienced such behaviour.

However I am not proud that is raised to it Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
^^ that would make me so mad as well. Bad enough that she damaged your equipment by her own stupidity and didn't give a sh*t, but the fact they were then so aggressive is disgusting. What is wrong with people? Don't let it spoil your great week - or your birthday!

@Steve Angus, nope, still can't see it, I presume you must have protected content on your page or something. Maybe use Insta instead?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ali it won't spoil my week it's nothing ptex can't sort

Not seen Steve yet though

Tomorrow I have that outfit on I may be easy to spot
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@harvsurrey, OMG!!!
ski holidays
@VolklAttivaS5,

My Dilema would have come had the raised hand come towards me !

I had suffered abuse for being British, abuse for brexit , and no admission of his brainless girlfriend who he should have told to take her poles into the lift

Then again (I am going to hate myself for saying this) he wasn't a skier
snow report
HMMMM sorry folks re that video. Someone suggested Instagram for the video - well I actually put it up on my story for today earlier this morning already so that was great minds think alike.... so if you look at my story for today in Instagram then it should be live for another 12 hours or so... A reminder that my handle is @SteveAngusSnow. So hopefully that will be easy for you all now to see.

Kenzie - agreed ha ha!

Sowler - hmmm didnt know that - well there you go you learn something each day!

harvsurrey - blimey piste wars going on - thats pretty crap really. If they lost a pole to the snapping too then I suppose it was quits in some small way but sounds pretty typical attitude of some Frenchies tbh! If 'this place is theres' then they had better start looking to work out how they are going to keep the € rolling in to make it as nice as it is as without the roast bifs this resort and many others would be somewhat different for the worse I would have thought!

Lots of moguls

Well folks it was another busy morning with Ben waking up nice and early but since it is a Wednesday there was no school for Olivia (Clare went for a ski with her instead and it looks like they had an amazing time!). Anyway I took Ben to creche and then got to the meeting point. It was lovely and sunny and was going to be the first mini hint of Spring in the air.... yay!

My team (same as yesterday morning) spent the first half of the session working towards getting the technique up to scratch on black runs so we headed down Trolles a couple of times and certainly on the second descent it was very good and again improvements being made! The second half of the session we worked on moguls and some really good drills led to some moments of inspiration and eureka moments - perfect. So a successful morning!

I took lunch outside at the bottom of the Olympic in the sun which is my first proper time of being able to do that this season (must mean that Spring is only a few weeks away!).

The afternoon I was back out with my seasonnaires (this is week 4 of 5 with them) and the girls are getting better and better each week! They did so very well actually and they took their very first black run with me (Raye) down into La Daille. So very good. They were really happy. We did the Fontaine Froid beforehand to give them a taste of what it would be like!

Later in the session we lapped around on the Tommeuse working on moguls. They once again excelled themselves - so very impressive! It was also really quite special for one of the seasonnaires as she only upgraded her season pass today to the full EK pass so she loved getting her first glimpse of Tignes from the lift for the first time!

One thing I did notice today was the pisteurs working overtime - there was a couple of serious incidents I noticed - one on the cross-roads by the bottom of the Mont Blanc lift (no surprised there) and then another near the bottom of the Marmottes lift... all system go for them today! In fact one thing I have noticed is that there are a lot of people who come skiing in the EK who think that it is for experts but there are so many people who really are far from it - a lot of wannabes who are just a danger to themselves and others... so I am sure there were some of those involved in the incidents today!

So that is about it for today!

Clares Dad has arrived this evening so we will be seeing a lot of him over the next few days and probably skiing with him a fair bit too - we shall see!

TTFN

Lunchspot with a view
snow conditions
harvsurrey wrote:
@VolklAttivaS5,

I had suffered abuse for being British, abuse for brexit , and no admission of his brainless girlfriend who he should have told to take her poles into the lift

I am disgusted. Raising his hand to you too!
latest report
harvsurrey wrote:
@VolklAttivaS5,

He might not have been a skier BUT let’s not forget that the catalyst for the whole incident was a pair of ski poles (which are mostly used by skiers) Very Happy
latest report
Steve Angus wrote:

And apparently there was another slide involving a group on the lavachet wall this afternoon too... it was only yesterday that Henry (HAT Off Piste) was saying that this was setting up in a similar way to the deadly slide during half term in 2017 when 4 people died on the Lavachet Wall! Timely but scary! This slide today had 2 people buried but they both got themselves out in one piece (I won't name the local who is a mountain guide (French) that works in Tignes who are known for pushing the boundaries in a reckless way!)... he (when questioned by an off duty colleague of mine who saw it happen) shrugged it off in front of his client denying it was dangerous out there on that spot today - idiot!

I just don't get why people ride the Lavachet Wall, it puts a cross in every box of places you should avoid. That the big fatality this time last year was lead by a Tignes guide (who was killed with his clients) and this group was lead by another, only makes it more puzzling. Do people sit at the Loop Bar marvelling at the tracks and say I'm going to get my tracks on the wall, even if it kills me? There are so many much safer places to go in EK and the example should be set by the local guides.

Steve Angus wrote:
PS the season dates for 2019 / 2020 have been published : 30/11/19 - 3/5/20 (oh and the Summer 2019 dates are 29/6/19 - 1/9/19 (with the glacier open 8/6/19 - 12/7/19)
Thanks Steve.
snow conditions
Funnily enough the first time I ever did a SCGB guiding day was in Tignes (the day of the week where they hire a guide-this must have been maybe 2009/10 approx maybe even 2008) and I remember the guide (French) turning up and giving those that didn’t have them transceivers but no shovel or probe. They didn’t know how to use them they just wore them. I had my own transceiver and kit but he didn’t ask me if I had the rest just a transceiver. This was when I first started doing off piste so I didn’t have the knowledge that I have now.
Anyway I remember asking him what we had done and he said the Lavachet Wall.
ski holidays
@harvsurrey,
Quote:

One pole snapped in half as we entered the lift station the other as she rammed it in the tip had gouged the base .
Then as I showed her not only did they not apologise but retorted with verbal abuse .
Unfortunately I admit I lost it and ranted back only to be told to off back to my brexit disaster of a country and this place was there's.
He then raised his arm/hand across my face

There's a special place in hell for those two wink
latest report
@Steve Angus,

Nice to finally say Hi today Steve , even if I was looking a bit special .

Shaping up for a corker tomorrow and it's been another fantastic week this week
latest report
harvsurrey - indeed finally. I won't tell anyone about your outfit today - ha ha!

As far as the Lavachet Wall is concerned and all that... I certainly think making sure everyone has all the gear and knows how to use it AND educate people is vital. However a blanket 'ban' on certain places would defeat the purpose of learning about making informed decisions and where would you draw the line. The whole point is that off piste is unpredictable and there is no 'safe' place its just how safe it is there and then etc!

More success and a yummy lunch

We woke to a VERY slow front of clouds moving in (the vis for much of the morning was excellent non the less). I wanted to work on carving with my team and (even though I say so myself) I worked the piste up Solaise at the correct time in the correct order to make sure we had the place to ourself for most of the time and knowing which pistes are lesser skied than others at certain times. The Glacier Express provided the ground for the first few laps and the ladies did really well - really letting it rip!

As the technique progressed so did the cloud move in. So with the cloud cover as was it was chillier than it had been yesterday so we kept moving! Ultimately we got all the way up to the Val glacier and had some great snow and some good turns. It was really nice to see them develop so much!

By lunchtime the weather was really starting to roll in but with Clares dad who arrived last night on the mountain having a ski with Clare we agreed to meet to try out the Refuge de Solaise restaurant atop the Solaise and boy what a feast we had for a couple of hours. It was a really nice couple of hours of eating and chatting etc. The word 'stuffed' springs to mind!

Clare and I headed home then I collected Ben from creche and then we entered the normal evening routine whilst Clares dad had a cuppa and saw the grandkids! A nice afternoon all in all!

A few interesting things to note out there from today. Firstly the Val and Tignes pisteurs have done some some analysis of rescues on the mountain and they have found out that 33% of the skiers rescued on the Val side of the mountain come from Tignes but only 9% of the skiers rescued on Tignes side come from Val... now that is an interesting stat - not quite sure how you would read this. Either way lots of people needing medical attention on the Val side have come over from Tignes - that is a large number!

Second thing to note is to say that James Woodsy the British freestyle skier is now World Champion having just won the Mens Slopestyle contest - awesome news and big congrats to him!

Think that is all for now.

The snow has been falling steadily all afternoon so hopefully we will have a nice top up of snow to ski on by the morning as the sun is supposed to come out again it could be a bluebird day - yay! And I'm off piste in the morning so hoping for a nice one!

TTFN

Rather snowy out there this afternoon.....

... better retreat and guzzle this bad boy!
snow conditions
Small but nice

We were woken by a very excited young lady with the words 'I'm dressed'.... I should explain... last night when her grandpa came around there were quite a few presents in the form for new clothes so obviously Olivia was extra excited and this morning woke early and decided to put on her new dress... at 5am.... then wake us up! That would have been OK but Clare sent her packing back to her bedroom and back to bed... well at least we thought until we heard the loo flush a few seconds later... again that would be OK until the flushing loo woke Ben up!!!! All hell broke loose.

So needless to say it was a very early start to the day!

Anyway when we did finally get up and looked out the window there was about 10-15cm of fresh snow out there but the skies were clear - it was going to be a bluebird day.

I headed up to the meeting point and met my lady that I have been teaching the past week... today it was just her and I and the plan was for off piste - yay!

What I immediately discovered up top was that there had been some effect from a breeze overnight - in essence it meant that only north and east facing stuff was really work chasing... but with only 10-15cm of fresh snow it was not quite enough to totally transform the off piste and give a fresh canvas. Worse still was that the intense sun we had had earlier in the week has meant that the south facing slopes have taken some sun and therefore crust! ANYWAY I did as many variations and rotations of the Jardins de Borsat as I could manage and also including a few turns under monitors couloir... before finally working a few angles on the Super Santons. We had some really really nice shin deep pow turns mixed in with a few 'sharks' but a darn fun morning with nice snow. And I only had to put one line in all morning - yay!

So I have been home since lunchtime as I have taken the afternoon off... back on duty tomorrow am but apart from that all good for this afternoon and tomorrow afternoon off!

I have a few jobs to get done this afternoon and then we are out for a meal with Clares dad tonight.

So TTFN until tomorrow

Splat - Fiona takes one for the team

P.S. Interesting video clip of the pisteurs doing a rescue somewhere off piste yesterday - or perhaps it was this morning. Not quite sure what is going on but it is a cool view non the less!
https://www.facebook.com/pisteurval/videos/228409748103847/

P.P.S. Could be some slowdowns on the road tomorrow with 31000 cars forecast on the road up... leave early or arrive late is the usual rule of thumb to avoid traffic jams

P.P.P.S. The 3000 drag lift up the Solaise opens for the first time in 7 years tomorrow!
ski holidays
Was about to post that -

https://www.facebook.com/valdisere/videos/398470430728676/

I've never seen TK3000 open, I've always fancied a go
latest report
Quote:

A few interesting things to note out there from today. Firstly the Val and Tignes pisteurs have done some some analysis of rescues on the mountain and they have found out that 33% of the skiers rescued on the Val side of the mountain come from Tignes but only 9% of the skiers rescued on Tignes side come from Val... now that is an interesting stat - not quite sure how you would read this. Either way lots of people needing medical attention on the Val side have come over from Tignes - that is a large number!

Are there more hotel beds on the Tignes side? If yes, then there are simply more skiers so they will dominate the stats??
ski holidays
London_Falcon wrote:
Quote:

Are there more hotel beds on the Tignes side? If yes, then there are simply more skiers so they will dominate the stats??

My guess is that when staying anywhere in Tignes Lac/Claret you're only one lift away from crawling out of bed/the bar and getting to the Val ski area (Toviere, Tufs or Fresse) . If you're staying in Val/La Daille, then you need at least two to get to Tignes - you can't get to Borsat or Tommeuse without taking another lift first. The bowl between Bellvarde and Tov/Borsat is basically 'shared' between the Tignes and Val skiers, but counts as Val as far as the piste rescue is concerned.

Also got to wonde how many of the injuries come after Follie kick out time rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nbt - yea now is your chance
London_Falcon - yes there is more accommodation on the Tignes side for sure (but less hotel accommodation and more self catering apartments!)
Judwin - the 'bowl' is not all 'Val as far as the piste rescue is concerned' - that is not strictly true. For example the Creux piste down parallel to the Tommeuse lift is most definitely a Tignes piste and you would be rescued by the Tignes pisteurs if you hurt yourself on there... in the same way Tommeuse lift is a Tignes lift! But yes the Folie kicking out time counts for a fair few injuries yes!

Either way something else to post this evening... this photo taken (from the Solaise side looking back over) but this is the reason why Santons piste is closed most afternoons... it is a terrain trap down there. You can see the slide the pisteurs set off this afternoon down onto the piste.

ski holidays
One has been pondering on the injury stats wink , 21000 beds in Tignes vs 14000 in Val. But the ski areas are very similar in size (both on and off piste) and the number of skier days are similar. If you were to stereotype Tignes could be described as being more about the sport than the partying so maybe Val visitors don't venture as far. I have met quite a few jollidaymakers who have come purely for the apres in Val. But more likely is the size of the Val Park compared with the one in Tignes (and it is easily accessible as described above) where there a re a lot of injuries by the nature of the activity.
snow conditions
@chocksaway, is it the average age of the clientele in Tignes possibly? It’s generally cheaper to stay that side so may attract the younger skier? And a bit like driving, maybe they are more likely to have an accident if they are 25 or under?
snow report
nbt wrote:
Was about to post that -

https://www.facebook.com/valdisere/videos/398470430728676/

I've never seen TK3000 open, I've always fancied a go

I made 3 trips up this morning around 10. It was nice until amateurs like myself chopped up the soft snow. My last day here. A fabulous resort with seemingly endless terrain. Listening to the antics at Cocorico from our balcony each afternoon was entertaining.
latest report
chocksaway & VolklAttivaS5 - I think both those things are possible - who knows. For me the stat was interesting not because of the numbers involved BUT because of the huge difference between the numbers - interesting!

Nice

Being a Saturday it was a more relaxed start to the day... neither child needing to get anywhere.

I met my am lesson (a young guy who had done all of an hour at an artificial slope) and after the first dip of his toes in the water on the Savonnettes I was thinking that it was going to be a LONG morning as he didnt strike me as that 'natural' shall we say... however you live and learn in this job and after a few tweaks and exercises he was making really fast improvements.

There was pretty heavy snow first things and little by little as the morning progressed the clouds were parting and the sun was coming out. This helped as we were able to get up the mountain before too long and ultimately we finished the morning by doing a lap down Madelaine so very well done 'D.'

Clare took Olivia out for a ski this afternoon whilst I looked after Ben and he was very tricky and hard work as he just would not settle... it was long afternoon shall we say.

I have run a few errands this afternoon but really must get some sleep now as a) I am knackered and have a full day on the mountain tomorrow and b) I am feeling a little run down!

2 things to note from today...

1) it is the start of the first tranche of French school holidays starting this week... zone B (so 'other' areas of France - so not the local or Paris holidays yet) which will make the resort that little bit extra busy... however it is next week that things will get really juicy as the British HT holidays start with the local school hols too!

2) With the opening of the 3000 drag lift today that is the first time it has run in 6 years however the tunnel run at the top is closed off for the time being as there is a little lack of snow on the Fornet side of the ridge to warrant them opening it - for now!

TTFN

P.S. Did you see this from Courcheval from yesterday - whoops! https://www.facebook.com/jeanchristophe.berrard/videos/10205189657576607/
P.P.S. The pisteurs yesterday in the Santons gulley worked hard to release the creeper in there... interesting viewing...

https://www.facebook.com/pisteurval/videos/374766883308930/
latest report
Thanks for the info last week on the portable WiFi box. We’re currently in an apartment where the WiFi isn’t fully operational so gave in this evening and went to the tourist board and picked one up. It’s working great and should have got one days ago.
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
One has been pondering on the injury stats wink , 21000 beds in Tignes vs 14000 in Val. But the ski areas are very similar in size (both on and off piste) and the number of skier days are similar. If you were to stereotype Tignes could be described as being more about the sport than the partying so maybe Val visitors don't venture as far. I have met quite a few jollidaymakers who have come purely for the apres in Val. But more likely is the size of the Val Park compared with the one in Tignes (and it is easily accessible as described above) where there a re a lot of injuries by the nature of the activity.
It would be interesting to know the Val/Tignes split for the Tignes patrol.
ski holidays
Closing in

muppet No problems!

I woke up feeling a little jaded this morning and this was despite all of the household having a really good sleep (well I think we all had a good sleep) but I still felt tired! Hmmm weird!

Anyway with Clare not working she was due to head up the Solaise and have a nice go the sledges etc in the Val Kids area (having seen the photos they all had a really fun morning by the looks of things!)

I meanwhile suited and booted and headed to the meeting point. So the guy I had in the morning was rather hung over and whilst he more or less lasted the distance he did need a water stop along the way! The first half of the session we worked on piste and had a nice run down the Face too at one point. It was busy'ish in places and at some times but overall the pistes were not too busy at all! The second half of the session we looked at trying to get his off piste up to scratch as he and the other lads he is with have me for a full day off piste tomorrow! Hmmm could be interesting!

Anyway it was a nice morning and we got some really good technical development done and then for a bonus got some nice powder turns in.

After regrouping myself at lunchtime I headed to meet my pm team - a couple of large strapping 'Vikings' who now live in the Netherlands and one of them grew up in Switzerland. The off piste we were supposed to be doing was going to be more tricky as the weather was really moving in this afternoon and the light fading... the breeze was strengthening and the snow was building! However we made the most of things and had some really good turns and found some good snow - too low though and it was heavy and warm snow and too high and you could not see a thing - tricky! Anyway the best snow of the day was once again the bus stop... some lovely snow in there!

When I got home we had a full house as Clares dad, his friends were all here and it was chaos with the kids too! Arghhh oh well!

So I am going to finish typing this up then head to bed as I need another early night that is for sure.

Oh one thing - confirmation of an interesting fact I heard a while ago but reconfirmed today from Radio Val... 44% of all visitors to Val are Brits, 37% are French and then the Scandinavians are in third place with something like 10%.

Some nice turns up there this am!

TTFN
ski holidays
^^ oooh beautiful!!
ski holidays
@Steve Angus, it would be interesting to know how much money the ski resort makes over the season from the sale of lift passes, shopping, restaurants etc to know how much that 44% is worth in money terms.
That’s assuming that if you have a shop or restaurant in Val D’Isere the ski resort/lift company STVI takes a cut of some sorts? I’m not sure how that works unless it’s just the places up on the mountain that have to give them a cut? If at all! Who knows.
snow report
Interesting they are watering creeper, is that to make it heavier to then slide or trying to get it to freeze and become more solid do you think??
snow report
kitenski wrote:
Interesting they are watering creeper, is that to make it heavier to then slide or trying to get it to freeze and become more solid do you think??

They sprayed it until it avalanched, under control. There was a video on the pisteurs FB page.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy