Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
pdx CHECK... they HAVE just closed the road to Bourg St Maurice for the night......... HIGHLY unusual and they have announced that schools will be closed tomorrow.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
... the 'bars of Val d'Isere' as the literal translation says.... are ALL to close at 9pm tonight... they basically want everyone locked down for the night in their homes / chalets / hotels don't they.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
All the bars in Val are shutting at 10pm. Road between Val and La Daille is closing at 9pm
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
my god, it must be really really bad for things to be shutting down like this. Stay safe everyone. I think there will be nothing open tomorrow at this rate!!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Blimey, I've never heard of this happening, it must be really REALLY bad! Amazing photos Steve, keep 'em coming and stay safe!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
hope this works. THANKS TO RADIO VAL D'ISERE - I have to admit I pulled this (obviously) from their website...

http://webtvvaldisere.com/pod/tempete2_anglais.flv
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Steve Angus wrote:
hope this works. THANKS TO RADIO VAL D'ISERE - I have to admit I pulled this (obviously) from their website...

http://webtvvaldisere.com/pod/tempete2_anglais.flv

Puzzled
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was just about to post that too, that lady has the most fantastic accent when speaking in English!!! Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Steve Angus, looks wild out there. Enjoy your lock down! Can't imagine there's going to be much open tomorrow either.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
not sure what you mean Ricklovesthepowder by the ?

anyway if the link doesn't work then click through to http://www.radiovaldisere.com/index.php then middle left of page where it says 'safety measures.' - that is the video.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Steve Angus, nothing was working mate.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ricklovesthepowder, it's a video file with .flv format. You can save it to your hard drive then use a suitable video player, or visit the Radio Val website to watch it there. Shows some wild weather in resort.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The link above does though. those videos are scary!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Google translation from Radio Val.... the very latest:

Quote:
Seniors in Val d'Isere are formal. A storm like that was current when they were little, then do not panic on board! Avalins memory, we will present the storm among the serious storms but not in the top 10 most beautiful storms. That said, things should still be considered seriously. The maximum gust was recorded at 7:41 p.m. with 201 km / h. A bus STVI was pushed on the road Fornet, breaking a window and creating a scare in his driver. Another was trapped with 5 people further up the road Fornet. The trackers had to get them. 6 people stuck at the bus stop of Fornet could not back down to Val. The result, after being greeted at the Restaurant Crozets, they spend the night with the locals. The school children living in Fornet could not go with the school bus due to the closure of the road and have all been relocated among friends. 400 people were evacuated from the center Aquasport through a tunnel leading to the Convention Center and then transported in a convoy to the center of Val. The road from Bourg closed, 130 people had to be relocated in the hotel or residence of the station and the places were pretty hard to find.

...and there was me considering going to the gym earlier on (Aquasport Centre)... did not fancy having to be transported through a tunnel and then in convoy!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Steve Angus, will do steve, there's a group of around 30 of us going so i have no idea what we'll do if we can't get up there, stay ion geneva all night perhaps.. Sad
snow conditions
Steve, sounds like snowmaggedon! Hope you all stay safe and can get dug out ok tomorrow. Sounds like you're getting the same winds we had in Scotland and ne England over the past day or so.... Must be even worse at altitude!

Have you any recollection of conditions being like this bad in recent times or is this exceptional?
snow conditions
Steve Angus, do stay safe! I have just spent the last two hours catching up on this thread and have enjoyed every bit! I will be back to blame you if i don't complete this MSc... wink Toofy Grin
latest report
Steve Angus, Bars and clubs closing at 9pm Shocked
snow report
Quote:

I don't know the total accumulated snow fall for Val or Tignes for this season I am afraid... but I am guessing it is somewhere around about 4 metres of so

5.35m for Tignes so far according to http://en.skiinfo.com/snowreport/tignes-EFRTIGNES-100-en.jhtml
snow conditions
Over in Tignes, things aren't SO bad. Certainly the winds are high, we've probably had 40cm+ today (I'm gauging that by the fac that we walked into The next door restaurant this morning with no snow on the groud but it's now up to above my wife's knee high boots!

Weather forecast is still saying milder conditions tomorrow. Let's hope so. Good luck to those in VdS
snow conditions
So the lockdown in Val D is more because of the winds than snow?
snow conditions
Piccadilly, more due to roads laying in wait of monster slides probably. Must be a he'll of a lot if snow being deposited in gullies and lee slopes.
latest report
...both I would say but the compounded effects are that there is one hell of a lot flying around and settling... I darent open my door again this evening in case it all falls in and I will spend an hour trying to dog out my door matt. Supposed to carry on all night... don't think anyone will be going very far in the morning... we shall see.
snow report
Markoncarp wrote:
Over in Tignes, things aren't SO bad. Certainly the winds are high, we've probably had 40cm+ today (I'm gauging that by the fac that we walked into The next door restaurant this morning with no snow on the groud but it's now up to above my wife's knee high boots!

Weather forecast is still saying milder conditions tomorrow. Let's hope so. Good luck to those in VdS

Actually, im now in bed, overlooking the Le Lac main"square". Some of the gusts of wind are frankly, momentous.

Kids are already worried that the windows will shatter, obviously that's not going to happen but woah!!!
ski holidays
Quote:

obviously that's not going to happen

hope not.... but given some of the windspeeds being quoted it's not beyond the realms of possibility. don't you have shutters?
snow conditions
Wow! - we are coming over on the snow train tomorrow to Val - arrive in Bourg Saturday morning - how quickly are they able to clear the road?

Hope everyone there is safe and well.

x
ski holidays
Steve Angus wrote:
Google translation from Radio Val.... the very latest:

Quote:
Seniors in Val d'Isere are formal. A storm like that was current when they were little, then do not panic on board! Avalins memory, we will present the storm among the serious storms but not in the top 10 most beautiful storms. That said, things should still be considered seriously. The maximum gust was recorded at 7:41 p.m. with 201 km / h. A bus STVI was pushed on the road Fornet, breaking a window and creating a scare in his driver. Another was trapped with 5 people further up the road Fornet. The trackers had to get them. 6 people stuck at the bus stop of Fornet could not back down to Val. The result, after being greeted at the Restaurant Crozets, they spend the night with the locals. The school children living in Fornet could not go with the school bus due to the closure of the road and have all been relocated among friends. 400 people were evacuated from the center Aquasport through a tunnel leading to the Convention Center and then transported in a convoy to the center of Val. The road from Bourg closed, 130 people had to be relocated in the hotel or residence of the station and the places were pretty hard to find.

...and there was me considering going to the gym earlier on (Aquasport Centre)... did not fancy having to be transported through a tunnel and then in convoy!

Ha! Would you like a better translation? I need to do some French revision anyway, sigh.

Seniors in Val D'Isère aren't worried. A storm like this was normal when they were little, there's no panic here! From memory, we'll put the ongoing storm in the range of serious gusts, but not in the 10 most powerful storms. Having said that, things do have to be nevertheless taken with precaution. A maximum gust of 201km/h was registered at 7.41pm. An STVI bus (I assume these are those brilliant shuttle buses?) was knocked up on the Fornet road, breaking a window and giving the driver a fair amount of fear. Another has stayed stuck further up the road, with 5 passengers. 6 people stock at the Fornet bus stop weren't able to go back down to Val. After having been welcomed to the Crozets restaurant, they will spent the night with the locals. The schoolchildren living at Le Fornet haven't been able to take the school bus due to the road closure and have rehomed with friends. 400 people have been evacuated from the watersport centre through a tunnel leading towers the Convention Centre then taken towards Val centre. The road to Bourg being closed, 160 people had to be rehomed in hotels or the 'stations residences'. Places (to stay) were quite difficult to find.
snow conditions
WELL WERE STILL ALIVE... JUST OPENED THE FRONT DOOR - THE SNOW IS BELLY BUTTON DEEP... I REALLY need to get digging ... I cant really see over the mound of snow but I think it is still snowing and the wind gauge tells me there is still wind about - not as bad as last night but definitely wind to speak of.

Doubt anything will be moving for a fair while this morning but I still need to get to the ski school meeting point on time, JUST IN CASE.... to drink coffee for a couple of hours I would imagine.... if anyone can get to the cafes and restaurants in the first place that is.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Steve Angus, wow! Stay safe, and warm Toofy Grin
snow report
I also have that "must get digging" feeling. Would like to get out and do some skiing but it'll be some time before the path clearers are around and the snow is so deep that I suspect I'd be worn out by the time I got to the piste if I fight my way out without a cleared path. I feel a wimp sitting here when there's all that snow out there but I'm glad I don't have to get to work.

Anyway, there are no lifts open yet, and avalanche risk is 5/5.
snow report
something to whet the appetite before I report all later on... heading up to the meeting point now as they MAY be opening something - just possibly:

latest report
Ker-RUMBS!
Love this thread, by the way, even though I'm not a particular fan of the EK. Like others, I will probably learn to be a fan in time, thanks to this thread.
ski holidays
Steve Angus, Is that ALL fresh snow from last night?

Shocked
snow report
Steve Angus, Good job you've got that BCA gear, make sure you wear it in the room Shocked

Also what are those evil eyed looking gremlins under the table? Are they hiding from the snow?!!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 6-01-12 10:19; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
shoogly, assessing the photo and the gear around the door I would say this door is the main access point. Presuming the door was used last night then YES Shocked
ski holidays
Markymark29 wrote:
Also what are those evil eyed looking gremilns under the table? Are they hiding from the snow?!!

Laughing Laughing the searchlights are hunting for them outside
ski holidays
cathy, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Well, I've been feeling a bit down because I'm going to the Dolomites tomorrow and the snowfall has not been fantastic - but now I'm starting to feel just slightly that I may have made the better (random) choice.
Thanks for the reports Steve Angus, stay safe.
latest report
or the lights are in fact the UFO that they've just descended from Laughing

Imagine being an alien on your first visit to earth and you land in Val D'Isere! You'd just get back on and leave.
snow report
I am in Tignes les Brevueres and the road out was blocked last night with a wall. Of sniw.

A few mins ago a digger started to clear it , but the rest of the road up to the main road to Bourg is deep in snow.

No lifts running either so no way out unless you walk !

John
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy