Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
@kitenski, I have given up on trying to educate my girls especially when mam said they don't have to listen to me, yes they are faster than their mam but why did the ESF let them drag their poles how am I to develop a good pole plant, hey ho I suppose at least they still ski with me lol
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
intermediate wrote:
@HoneyBunny,
Quote:

@intermediate, you can see the Toviere gondola in the pic. Looks like he was very lucky indeed.

Oh, thanks, I thought those blocks bottom left of photo were one end of some apartments. So I guess the avalanche was not far along from Trolles then??
The lengths some people go to for a free ice dive in le Lac! Very glad he's OK and what a tale he'll have to tell.

Yes, skier's left from Trolles, notoriously risky.

You can see two of the gondolas in the top left - but in this thread you can see it from a much better angle:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=120323&start=600

Steve must be knackered tonight!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kitenski wrote:
@Steve Angus, hopefully tweeted you vids of my daughters... Shall we say it's "interesting" to try and give tips to a teenage daughter who knows best!! I have found if I suggest something she will shrug but then try and follow what I do!! The younger one is more receptive!

Yes received and will take a lot as soon as I can. THANKS
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The ski pictures look wonderful, we are going to Val D on Feb 6th and were worried that there wasn't going to be enough snow but looking at photos it does look like a lot has fallen so we should not be concerned. I am looking there are still 41/76 trails open according to Google by the time we arrive (in 3 weeks) can we expect more to be open?

Thanks
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Steve Angus wrote:
Aussieboarder - Hi Brad.... got ya! Central and honest grub.... try The Lodge and Victors opposite. Burgers at Moris are amazing and so to is the menu at Danois - all those places central. There you go!

Awesome. Thanks mate!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Was an amazing day in the espace Killy. Fantastic snow and great powder to be found in easy areas. Was astounded to see how many people have hit lines that should have been left alone. Saw lots of little slides and witnessed one very lucky bloke just under the palafour chair by the Avalanche barriers who just missed getting pounded. Huge amount of people ignoring piste closed signed and riding int santons off the top of bellvarde. Must be nuts after last weeks incident. Shame they can have a secure des piste bloke standing at the bottom of know danger areas just taking lift passes away. Might make people think twice. Anyway rant over. We head home tomorrow to return for hopefully some warmer weather in March .
Be safe all and enjoy. Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Great day with Thomas from alpine experience and a fab dance with pasha at Petit danois ce soir
Awesome day
Brev tomorrow if we can find it !!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I will echo Timg60 - absolutely fabulous day in EK today. I am also flabbergasted at the number of people passing the barriers on the closed pistes - what on earth are they thinking - it makes no sense. I have to assume that they are completely unaware of the recent tragedies.

@ Steve Angus - Tom and I had an amazing day today. We both paid more attention to our technique and both felt that our lesson with you made a huge difference to our enjoyment - Thank you. See you next week!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pred02 wrote:
The ski pictures look wonderful, we are going to Val D on Feb 6th and were worried that there wasn't going to be enough snow but looking at photos it does look like a lot has fallen so we should not be concerned. I am looking there are still 41/76 trails open according to Google by the time we arrive (in 3 weeks) can we expect more to be open?

Thanks

There has been about 2-3 metres of snow (depending on altitude) in the last couple of weeks alone.... so plenty. Most the lifts and trails that are not open yet - I would say ALL actually, are only closed as they need to do avalanche clearance still.... There is coverage everywhere so everything should be 100% open very very soon as soon as things calms down a little snowpack wise!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We skied a couple of closed pistes with guide this morning and deliberatelly trigerred a slide on triffoles ! PIC to follow
It's a tricky balance for sure
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PBJ You will have had a great day with Thomas... hear he set a slide off just for your guys to witness!

For those commenting on some of the 'lines' people took up there today I can only agree whole-heartedly - some people dice with death they really do... will talk more about that in a moment on my blog piece!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Vasta wrote:
@ Steve Angus - Tom and I had an amazing day today. We both paid more attention to our technique and both felt that our lesson with you made a huge difference to our enjoyment - Thank you. See you next week!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes we certainly witnessed by it - my mate Marcus was in it and it was a bit scary and we were relieved when it stopped.
Great week !
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

Not sure this works .... But here it is !
latest report
We were on left hand lower section of it .... Doesn't look much but a little concerning if you were there !!
snow conditions
A day of two halves

Well this morning it was certainly chilly out there and the wind chill caught a lot of people by surprise that is for sure! Coldest day of the season so far and I should think that with the wind chill it was about -20 out there!

Lovely walk back last night - Val d'Isere is pretty by both day and night!

Anyway the last day of the holiday for the clients have been with all this week (and such a lovely meal last night it was quite a finish to the week). The plan was that Clare and I would both go up with them all (Clare has been teaching the kids all week) - I would be cameraman and Clare could round the kids up to follow the parents. Anyway it was a little up and down with the chill in the air and the kids being a little tired and ratty after a couple of weeks on the slopes. I was handed the camera to get some footage but unfortunately the battery did not last too long but there you go.

We lapped around on the Madelaine a few times which was in pretty good shape. There had been some wind overnight unfortunately so the nice fresh snow had taken a little beating in some places (not that I was off piste) but was looking around carefully.

Indeed I bet the pisteurs all over the place had everything crossed for no incidents today.... looking back across towards the Bellevarde and the Banana area there was countless people taking ridiculous risks... how some people are chancers!

You can see the wind whipping snow off the top of the Charvet mountain.

In the space of about 30 mins looking back towards the Banane I saw at least two skier / snowboarder initiated slides go - scary stuff!

Take a close look (you really have to look closely) to see some of the crazy lines people took up there in the space of an hour or two!

It was the usual change into ski stuff at lunchtime before meeting my seasonnaires group for their first of 6 sessions this season with me and what a nice bunch they are.

Apart from SERIOUSLY underestimating the temperature they had a good time (I think). We worked on some general technique and blasted around all over the Bellevarde mountain before finishing in La Daille.

Straight after skiing it was time to take the car to Bourg so the 2+ week repair time could start on it... a very quick dash around Super U to pick up some supplies and then the bus home.... Clares dad and friend came around for dinner so after that (now) I am writing this up and shall very shortly collapse into bed that is for sure.

Todays periscope:

https://t.co/ofIlliAfEU or the perma-link
https://t.co/U99im5I0Ml

So until tomorrow (the roads and weather should not be a problem I dont think) take care folks.

TTFN

P.S. Meant to say that I got tweeted by Graham Bell and Ed Leigh this morning - still a little surreal but there you go.
P.P.S. PBJ - that looks like a fair whack of snow there - category 2 sized slide - enough to kill a person(s) that is for sure!
snow conditions
@Steve Angus, it was certainly scary and sobering .... But did not feel at significant risk ! ..... At least not once it stopped !
Better us popped it - experienced and equipped - than others.
snow report
@HoneyBunny,
Quote:

Yes, skier's left from Trolles, notoriously risky.

You can see two of the gondolas in the top left - but in this thread you can see it from a much better angle:

Thanks, the picture in that thread is much clearer and that Tuesday slide near Trolles looks scarily big. Outcome could have been so much worse.
Some sources, eg PlanetSki, are reporting the slide, extracts as follows:

'A 40-year old male, skiing alone, triggered a slide off-piste to the side of the black Trolles run into Tignes Le Lac.

We understand he worked for the local ski school, Evolution 2. The slope, which is dotted with trees has a steepness of approximately 35 degrees and a lake right at its foot.

The avalanche risk is currently very high, 4 on a scale of 5.'

A spokeswoman said he is believed to be OK, although he was very wet.'

If he does work for Evo 2 his next meeting with the boss should have been interesting!

I've no idea how reliable that PlanetSki source of information is....but imagine people living in EK probably know the story by now.
latest report
@Steve Angus, great posts and snowy pictures again, thanks Steve
Quote:

P.S. Meant to say that I got tweeted by Graham Bell and Ed Leigh this morning - still a little surreal but there you go.

...OK but will be more impressed when you're tweeted by Chemmy Alcott Little Angel
snow report
Quote:

P.P.S. PBJ - that looks like a fair whack of snow there - category 2 sized slide - enough to kill a person(s) that is for sure!

It was my doing governor.

Quote:

OK but will be more impressed when you're tweeted by Chemmy Alcott

I can arrange that as well if you want.
ski holidays
Has anyone seen the vid of Graham Bell skiing La Face in Val? He makes it look like a blue run!! I only wish I could ski it that fast:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/skiing-videos/12067302/Watch-Graham-Bell-ski-La-Face-run-in-Val-dIsere.html

There's another one of him skiing the Grand Couloir in Courchevel, he doesn't even mention how scary the arête is at the start!!

That's a run I'll never be brave enough to ski.
snow conditions
@HoneyBunny, yes seen that its a good little vid and he does seem to be going pretty quickly.

Grand couloir isnt too bad really both by girls have done it now 10 and 15.

http://youtube.com/v/k8JhtMjnKRs
ski holidays
@ansta1, Just watching the first minute made my palms sweat! That drop-off Confused Shocked
ski holidays
HoneyBunny wrote:
@ansta1, Just watching the first minute made my palms sweat! That drop-off Confused Shocked

I feel a tiny bit sick after that...
snow conditions
Not sure as a parent that I would be happy to see the footage of this 'ski lesson'! If one of those kids had slipped off the side at the start, how exactly would our intrepid leader rescue them?
ski holidays
@intermediate, Planetski have edited their story. The gentleman concerned was an instructor in Tignes last year for Evo2. He was sacked by his manager for being reckless off piste. That is fact. There is some suggestion he may be working in La Ros.
ski holidays
ansta1 wrote:
@HoneyBunny, yes seen that its a good little vid and he does seem to be going pretty quickly.

Grand couloir isnt too bad really both by girls have done it now 10 and 15.

I can comment on the difficulty of run as I have never done it - however the access to Grand Couloir is clearly not "a doddle" from the first 2 mins on that video.

If I had seen that instructor taking a class of that standard across there - I would not allow him near my child.[/i]
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nelly0168 wrote:
If I had seen that instructor taking a class of that standard across there - I would not allow him near my child.[/i]

I have skied it, surely that would depend on the ability of the child/group that the instructor would assess. Can you imagine how chuffed the kids would have been to ski it? The snow looked good and they had control on the entry pitch.
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
nelly0168 wrote:

I have skied it, surely that would depend on the ability of the child?

Yes, of course.

I was commenting about their ability to access the run with a massive drop off on the right - not one of them looked particularly able on the video, in fact a couple looked in danger of being too close to the drop.
ski holidays
didn't see much fun in any of that to be fair.
ski holidays
Arteta10 wrote:
didn't see much fun in any of that to be fair.

No me neither, it seemed to be lets hobble our way down this difficult unpisted route for god knows what reason.
ski holidays
Right, this is the wrong thread for this discussion, but what you didn't see was the instructor walking the access run and checking the piste on foot prior to advising the children about what they were going to do beforehand and how to ski down the access. They had all been skiing difficult runs all week and were all going for their gold esf badge.
ski holidays
That's typical of the access to the grand couloir. I bet the kids that skied it now have more confidence that they can cope with stuff they encounter, they seemed pretty cool about it as far as I could tell.

The biggest worry on the approach was a collision and someone knocking you over, a bit like the piste then! As their speed was controlled, I thought they dealt with it okay. But then I don't have kids!

Edit: I see ansta1 has now explained the context.
ski holidays
nelly0168 wrote:
kitenski wrote:
nelly0168 wrote:

I have skied it, surely that would depend on the ability of the child?

Yes, of course.

I was commenting about their ability to access the run with a massive drop off on the right - not one of them looked particularly able on the video, in fact a couple looked in danger of being too close to the drop.

I noticed other skiers on the video not even having helmets!!!

That said, some of those kids looked to be struggling with the pitch - I don't find it particularly sensible to be taking kids down this who are clearly challenged by the pitch... and the drop offs either side. I saw a couple on there that could confidently ski the pitch, which bothers me less...
snow report
ansta1 - ahhhhh how did you do that - rather funky but cool at the same time. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Saturday 16th January 2016

Well folks once again I seem to be a day behind posting. Sorry!

Yesterday was an interesting day. Was up and Clare took an online French lesson phone in with someone from Martinique.... you basically improve your spoken French with someone over the phone and Clare is on a drive to really get her French going from strength to strength at the moment.

Anyway by 10am she had finished that and I was heading up the hill. I took a close friend of Clares dad out for a lesson working a little on piste technique but mainly aiming to improve the off piste.

Once again it was a chilly day up there but there was little breeze which was good. The thermometers up top generally said around about -15 so it was chilly.

Anyway the place was deserted being change over day.... it was lovely.

After a couple of runs in the stade Bonnevie we headed towards the Jardins de Borsat. Looking all around (and it was good as today was the first day that the Borsat had opened in a fair few days now the blasting and piste clearance work had finished) there looked like there could be some nice pockets of snow out there but the winds had recked many places of the nice soft powdery snow that had fallen. If I had had a really strong client then I am sure I could have found lots of nice snow but it had my hands tied a little. Anyhows you certainly had to drop down out of where the wind had been coming from to find eastern and south-eastern facing slopes. Sastugi etc hampered many places and some of the ski in's were tricky but I did find some lovely stretches although I do say so myself.

Even thought the avalanche risk has dropped to 3/5 there is still much danger out there so a couple of the slopes had some steeper gradients in places so picking the route was a must!

Anyway the client skied the actual powder just fine but the 'trickier' bits of snow were his downfall and a few stacks sapped the energy from him so by midday we were heading to a rendezvous lunch with the others (Clares father and other friend (and his daughter)). A couple of hour lunch at the Trifollet ensued before I did my Periscope of a deserted La Daille ski run - Raye.

I got a couple of hours family time in in the afternoon and Clares father came around and we had some fun with Olivia who seems absolutely knackered at the moment bless her.

No sooner as that was over and we were getting showered and dressed and getting Olivia ready for bed as Clare and I prepared to head to La Toviere hotel in La Daille as we were being treated to dinner down there by Clares father.

So we had a wonderful evening down there - the food really is very good and prices not too bad at all, before walking back (warmer than standing and waiting for the bus to arrive) home. So by this time it was 10.30pm and the day in day out non stop skiing and snowboarding etc was catching up with me so I decided to go straight to bed and instead opt to write this this morning. So here I am.

Weather wise it is looking quite chilly but relatively clear for the next few days so the conditions should be ideal.

I think that bring you all up to date folks...... BTW congrats to England cricketers for a fantastic win yesterday!

I like the look of my first tracks ((furthest lookers right) - guide takes the most dangerous line) of the season off piste - my ankle seemed to hold up just fine thank goodness!

And the pericope...

https://t.co/kJPXkjk7Zq and the perma-link
https://t.co/OfhTKJrn1K

So there we go folks.... more updates later.

TTFN
snow conditions
@chocksaway,
Quote:

@intermediate, Planetski have edited their story. The gentleman concerned was an instructor in Tignes last year for Evo2. He was sacked by his manager for being reckless off piste. That is fact. There is some suggestion he may be working in La Ros.

Never mind sacked...shouldn't reckless idiots like this be hung by their salopette braces in a public square, with garlic shoved up their nostrils (polite version) and have snowballs thrown at them until they grow up and learn to respect the lives and welfare of others? If the local enforcement people don't take action I despair. End of rant! Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
@Steve Angus,
Quote:

BTW congrats to England cricketers for a fantastic win yesterday!

Outstanding series win...you wouldn't want to face Broady in a snowball fight! Very Happy
ski holidays
@intermediate, Yes - Madame Guillotine on Le Front de Neige!!!

As for Broady the never to be repeated performance from Trent Bridge was - marvellous.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy