Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Most embarrassing ski/board moment

Poster: A snowHead
Hey all
I still have not taken a chair lift with the board out of fear of making a complete fool of myself when getting off. The drag lift is not a good friend of mine and has resulted in many times licking snow when not paying attention. There are many embarrassing moments I can think of but none that take the cake (so to speak). So, I was wondering if any of you have had moments that are at the top of those that made you cringe and all others laugh...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Arriving for lunch with my Godmother in Corchevel 1850, came off the piste through the trees and came to a graceful stop.....on someones table.
For those who know it Hotel Des Neiges.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lol.... sounds like a movie scene
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I seem to remember the soup was very nice....although I think it would have been even better from the bowl.....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fell off a chairlift in my first week of skiing. Was wearing a rucksack and just sort of slid off the front. Fortunately it was just after the lift station so I only fell about 6 feet spreadeagled into a large snowdrift with my skis still attached.

Unfortunately that meant I was right in front of the lift queue and they had to stop the lift till I could get out of the snow and out of the way. Pretty embarrassing, my mates still don't let me forget.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Tanking along at the end of a run in Morzine (or somewhere PDS anyway) towards an appealing looking cafe, performing a hockey stop, making a total balls of it, failing to stop, skidding sideways, and plunging into the completely hidden sunken terrace (about a metre below ground) that I didn't know was there, slamming into the floor, breaking a ski in the process, then simply standing up, and waving at everyone.

As funny as it was, I'm very glad I didn't land on - say - a toddler.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Face planting on a bunny slope, - While skiing towards the calss I was about to teach!!!! Embarassed
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well that would be this year on the middle section of Aguille Rouge in Les Arcs - caught an edge and just slid over the side of the piste Laughing

Very glad to say the safety netting worked, but I got stuck down the gap between piste and nets and it took several passing skiers a few minutes to haul me out Embarassed

This was the offending net, doesn't really show but there is a good 8' drop past the snow edge

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
son ( 5 yr) had had lessons with the ski-school and been on some drag lift by a flat green.

Proud dad takes him to the same green run and on the draglift he goes , dad follows
at the end of the drag there is a red rope, followed by about 30M run, before the drag lifts and then turns
dad watches in horror as son, goes through the rope and then lets go just after it takes him off the ground, and he drops into a pile of snow

lift stops lots of people decend , lots of french shouting.

eventually I asked him what was going on he had been doing it all morning ,

Yes but you didnt shout "Letgo " when i had to let go and ski off - he states.

Apparently the ski instuctor had an assistant at the top of the drag shouting at each child as they go to the top to remind them
to let go.

we went to another drag for the rest of the afternoon could not face the lifties after that
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Takin' a dump at the top of a peak at L2A quite a few years ago and a French ski guide turned up with his group......what are the chances eh, what are the chances.....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Me taking out an octogenarian, whilst getting off a chair lift (the one in Les Gets coming back out of the bowl to ski back down to town), although admittedly I had just been taken out by fellow chalet occupant who managed to get 2 places to the left as part of the pile up. Everyone was OK.

That or my brother crashing in to a random 3yr old that happened to be passing by and using the kid as a cushion as they impacted the fence by one of the restaurants (also in Les Gets).

Or fellow chalet occupant did a bobmcstuff, turning round to wipe snow off the chair lift seat (Chavannes one in Les Gets again), before pulling the bar down. Fell off exactly as the chair grabbed the cable, and went splat in the hooooge pile of snow where the lifty shovels everything. Seems the liftys prefer to make a half hearted attempt at brushing snow off the chairs as they come round, rather than flip the seats up at the top, when it's chucking it down with snow.

Me having a complete double ski release at well basically walking pace on the flattest of blues in San Cassiano, doing nothing more than looking back up the hill.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi guys. First time poster.....so please be gentle with me!!

Although mine isn't technically an embarrasing 'ski' moment, it still happened whilst officially on my ski holiday.

Arrived back at Gatwick after a week in Winter Park. Waiting for an unbelievable long time at the baggage reclaim for my suitcase which, alas, never arrived. Heard my name called on the PA asking me to go to a desk somewhere or other. Upon arriving at the desk, at the back of a queue I must add, I notice my suitcase on a trolley, looking rather worse for wear!

Bear with me, here comes the embarrasing bit!!

The suitcase was in tatters, with all the contents on view. On top of all of my clothes was a pair of boxer shorts. However these boxers were a present from an ex and had nice lips (steady) printed on them! So a queue full of people got a eye full of my lovely pants!! Shocked
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Back when I was skiing, I got one of my skis the wrong side of a gate in St. Anton and had a double ski release. Ended up sat on my ass moving along the ground on one of the moving belts that some lifts have. Not the best experience.

Switched to boarding last season. Successfully managed to get too well acquainted with a massive pipe that ran along the side of the piste in Alpe d'Huez. Got pretty muddy after that due to the lack of snow.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
the_doc wrote:
Takin' a dump at the top of a peak at L2A quite a few years ago and a French ski guide turned up with his group......what are the chances eh, what are the chances.....

Merde! Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
i once got to the top of a gondola, in the middle of the early morning rush, to find i had picked up the wrong skis (they were some poor childs skis). my instructor was not very impressed, my husband thought it was hilarious, and asks me to this day "have you got the right skis there grey?".
latest report
HA HA HA...... Reading all these are making me laugh at work (laughing WITH you..... really Wink ) and making me feel better about my little ones.
Quote:

Face planting on a bunny slope, - While skiing towards the calss I was about to teach!!!!

Fattes13, did the group have any confidence in you after that Razz
snow report
Courchevel last year, mate and I were leaving 1650 after some lunch, we'd left the boards cable locked to a fence. While we'd been in, probably 20 other people had done the same and so a lovely array of brand new 2010/11 kit was on display. Mate grabs his board, I unlock mine, pick it up... and thats when the whole lot decide to domino effect into each other and hit the deck with an almighty crash, think 'Hells Angels bikes parked at a diner' and you'll be there. I SWEAR I didn't touch them, honest! Naturally we did the honourable thing and legged it away from the carnage as fast as possible.
latest report
Had been teaching all day in St Anton, then went for one run to myself before heading off for a beer. Popped off a little bump to the side of the piste, somehow got too far forward for the landing, digging both ski tips into the snow. I supermanned straight out of both bindings, in full uniform, in front of at least 50 randoms, winding myself so badly I must've resembled some sort of fish flopping around and gasping for air. To top if of a couple of kids skied over to check I was alright. Lucky there weren't any other instructors around or that'd have been a very expensive round in the bar!
ski holidays
Probably slipping off the wait line on my board through lack of concentration after previous triple had moved forward to the load line. Undignified dive on the floor to avoid getting clocked by fix grip chair then undignified gaper shame as liftie helped me up and slowed the chair for me.
snow report
Most recently finding out the hard way that the release being on the toes makes Dynafits a remarkably easy way to be ejected downhill when trying to help up my girlfriend who was on her second day of skiing. She ended up on her feet and I ended up a sprawling mass of skis and bloke.

A huge number of classic double ejects over the years as well which are always good for a laugh.
snow conditions
Picked-up by the rucksack straps by the Cliffhanger chair at Glencoe. Dangling along many feet in the air in front of a crowd of 200+. Wondering how the hell I was going to keep hanging on all the way to the top, since it wasn't showing signs of stopping.
snow report
1999, my second weeks skiing, Was at Les Menuires. Ski'd into a snow cannon in front of about 30 persons. One leg either side of the cannon, so effectively castrating myself in front of a live audience.
ski holidays
We did not know what to expect. After arriving the first day at VT we all went on the lash. The next morning (still feeling a bit hazy) I went down for my skis and waited patiently for them to be adjusted to my boots. The techie asked me if I had ever used these skis before. Well I hadn’t as I had just been given them the night before!

Skis adjusted, off I went…only realise I’d left my poles behind! So trudged back where upon the techie said are you sure those skis are yours, they look a bit short. After a closer look I realised I’d picked up my roomies skis! Eventually things were sorted after a frantic phone call to my roomie informing him of the cock up I’d done!

First morning was lessons. Set off and lost the instructor on the first bend! Ended up at the wrong lift, then had to walk up the hill to the correct one! After catching up with all the other trainees the rest of the days was fine.
latest report
My wife and I on day one in villars on the dreaded T bar..' "Get ready I think we are coming to the end dear" She promptly gets off and starts sliding back into all the other L platers...Carnage... Embarassed
snow conditions
Had a beer then decided a last run was a good idea, larking around the tree lined edges of the run back to resort. The last words I remember, to my son, were "need to blast through this bit it looks a bit flat". Totally missed a depression - Eddie the Eagle like flight followed by face plant and nice motorised trip down the mountain and on to the hospital - didn't know what day it was until about 9pm in the evening.

The worst of all was the hotel driver - come handyman - on hearing where I'd come a cropper - "Oh Man, how did you fall there? It's soooo mellow!"
snow report
the_doc wrote:

I have heard people say they were "sh!tting themselves at the top of a run" but assumed it was merely an expression! Laughing

I remember once being filmed coming down a distinctly simple red in St Johann decided to show off spraying snow into the camera with a hockey stop... so as I started an EPIC spray of powder a good 5 foot high watched in horror as I absolutely caned this little kid and his mum standing directly behind my friend videoing... couldn't even remember the German for "SORRY!"
ski holidays
My OH in her second (and last) ski holiday misjudging the steepness of the ski school class setting slope in Pamporovo, turning too soon and skiing , out of control sitting on her skis into the line of skiers side stepping up the slope for their turn - she took out 3 and the domino effect another 10 or so! I didn't know where to look, but I do wish I had a video camera there.

Me, on the same holiday, following the instructor through woods and trying to ski over a tree stump like he did, one leg either side, only to realise that his legs must have been longer than mine - that certainly brought tears to the eyes.
snow report
First year on the slopes (4 years back), we went to Meribel to stay with the girlfriends brother who lives out there. He's a great teacher and had me progressed from nervous snow-plough to parallel and linking turns in the first few days. Day 3 we decided to stop off at one of the mountain restaurants and I had some trouble slowing down. Ended up hitting the ski rack a just about full speed! All the diners looked over the rail to see me sprawled amongst £10k worth of beloved ski gear.

Looked like a total idiot but managed to play it off ok, only an angry Russian to deal with, but hey thats Meribel!!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In Zakopane in Poland getting off their chair lift too soon, falling over and snagging my jacket on the edge of the chair, being dragged by my back bottom round until the lift guy disentangled me, all the while being laughed at by half a dozen nuns(!).
latest report
This wasn't me but someone I was with: Skiing in the trees he came out of the trees unexpectedly onto a narrow green run at some speed and embedded his ski tips into the wall of icy snow on the other side. Rather than a double ejection to faceplant, the chunk his skis were embedded into broke off and he went spinning off helplessly down the run on his @rse with a chunk of ice holding his skis together.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 25-11-11 0:01; edited 2 times in total
snow report
My special moment was getting on a chairlift - I didnt even make it to the top...
I had seen some people sitting on their poles on the way up the lift to leave handsfree to eat/drink/smoke etc so thought I would try it too. I successfully mastered the technique of placing the poles between my legs and then sitting down on them. Only this fateful time it went wrong. I put the poles between my legs and they got caught in the back of the chair. I was faffing around trying to untangle them, all the while the chair is moving... before I knew what was happening I was rather painfully hung up on the poles off the front of the chair. I got about 30yds before the poles snapped and I fell off into a snowdrift. I had a walk of shame back to try again with a whole queue of people killing themselves with laughter. I no longer sit on my poles.
latest report
I was skiing down santons into val d'isere and had got past the enclosed cut up mogully bit and was merrily cruising down the long sweeping right hand bend at the bottom. I sped past a ski school stood by the side of the piste. Unfortunately I had no idea what happened after that as I found myself doing a superman for a good 30-40 yards. The howls of laughter as I trudged back up the hill to collect my skis was almost intolerable.
snow report
If we're allowing the embarrassing moments by proxy, then riding with a friend who's rather short (about 5' 1") spring conditions in US, on an old style 2 person lift towards the back of the mountain. As we get to the top and it appears that lifty is taking that opportunity to rebuild the off-ramp which is somewhat lacking in height so have to basically drop off the chair. I do this ok, friend has a rather longer drop and as she lands, flexes the board which basically springs her back up into the air where she'd promptly collected by the chair and off around the wagonwheel at the top and into the emergency stop... She wasn't impressed with me and the lifty killing ourselves laughing as we got her down from the chair.
snow report
going on my first chair lift with skis on at Sauze in 1985
there was no snow at village level so we went up the chair to teh mid point to meet the ski school
after sorting we joined the queue for a chair lift further up
(i had only used tows in Avimore when i learnt basics)
anyhow when i got to the front of the queue for the 2 seat lift, i was suddenly alone, so i slipped forward and set of on my own
i was enjoying the view and it neve entered my head how to get off
about 10 minutes later i was coming up to the top and could see people standing there, but because of the hump could not see how they were getting off.
Next thing i knew the chair went over the hump, and my skis were on the snow, but i still had the safety bar down, my mates shouted "get off" but by the time i got the bar up it was too late my feet were airborn again, the shout was now "stay on"
in moment of madness my thoughts were that going back down the hill on the chair would mean missing my first 30 min of lesson, so as the the cair went round the return wheel at the top i hopped off onto the wooden platform
obviously skis went knowhere and i stopped dead and received a smack in back by the chair, ducking for the next chair, i then slid down the hump on my bum to the waiting area to join my pals who were all in histerics Puzzled
latest report
I think I was more scared of getting on the chairlift than going down the runs at first. From these stories, I remember why Laughing
ski holidays
does anything really top this?

Keep in mind that is his son on the chair with him and he was in sight of the que
snow report
Tried to cause an embarrasing moment once. Ski on to moving carpet thingy at chairlift, and then shuffle forwards a bit to get better alignment with other people, even though there's no need to be aligned. Cue everyone else shuffling forwards a bit too, so shuffle forwards a bit more, and everyone else shuffles a bit more too. Then cue everyone hurriedly shuffling backwards again as they're about to go off the end of the carpet before the chair swings around!
snow conditions
To many to list, but the first time I went skiing, I fell off the chair lift, skied down the slope, realised I had no ideas on stopping or turning went through a car park and a main road and ended up in a snow bank.

I was a teenager at the time, and obviously an idiot. I was lucky to go through a gap in the traffic, as it could have ended badly.

To add to the moment, I was wearing jeans, and had no change of clothes, they were soaked through ( not browned up) I did not ski again for over 10 years.

I would like to think I am better now, but sometimes I am not sure. Very Happy
snow conditions
Cruising down to La Tania a couple of years ago through the trees, come up behind a small group of slower folks. Politely shout "Regardez sur la droite", then immediately face plant as I (attempted to) go past. Their laughs still haunt me from time to time.
snow report
Mammoth Mountain, California 2002.

My 7 year son's 1st time on ski's, my first time on a board. We built up enough confidence to face a chair lift. Got it totaly wrong as my lad was pushed flat on his face and slid under the lifties hut and in my desperatio to try and stop him, I ended up in a puddle of slush/mud. Unlike the moaning Europeans, the Yanks were more than willing to lend a hand (fear of litigation ?) and when they found out we were Brits, we even got a cheer from the building queue !

And like many others, face planted at walking speed on my board, on a simple green while looking up the hill, ended up with a permanent scar Embarassed from such a cr@p wipe out.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy